watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How the hell are we doing worse than Sanchez with this squad

Started by MJG, November 25, 2013, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluto

McBride was vastly superior to any of our current forwards. I'd sell Berbatov and send the useless Bent back to Villa in January, then use the wages to sign a decent pacey striker to play in front of Ruiz, or alongside Rodallega (as an alternative tactical option).

nose

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on November 25, 2013, 12:34:09 PM
Quote from: Legate21 on November 25, 2013, 10:14:24 AM
Brian McBride led from the front, with pure passion and determination. There's not an ounce of passion in Berbatov, Ruiz and Bent.

Brian McBride was injured from August - February

as was bullard not available to sanchez.

also sanchez made errors of judgment in trying to improve a very poor team.

Jol has made errors of judgement in destroying a very good team.

jarv

I watched a fair bit of Cardiff manu yesterday. They have 2 forwards  which we probably (we supporters that is) would heve been totally underwhelmed if we had signed them  (Odemwinge and Campbell). They moved with pace, pressured defenders into mistakes and played very much in the AJ style (when he was fit).
We have 2 cones up front.
There are loads of underwhelming and cheap summer signings out there, doing well this season.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: MJG on November 25, 2013, 10:02:31 AM
Teams Pre Jan window      

2007-08 2013-14
Keller  Stekelenburg
Niemi  Stockdale
Volz  Riether
Baird  Zverotic
Omozusi  Briggs 
Koncheskey  Richardson 
  Riise 
Hughes  Hughes 
  Hangeland 
Bocanegra  Senderos 
Stefanovic  Amorebieta 
Murphy  Parker 
Smertin  Boateng 
Bullard  Sidwell 
Ki-Hyeon  Kasami 
  Karagounis 
Bouazza  Kacaniklic 
  Duff 
Dempsey     Taarbat 
Davies     Dejagah 
Kamara     Ruiz 
John     Rodallega 
McBride  Berbatov 
Healy  Bent 

EDIT: Sorry about the layout
You're allusion to the talent or name gap between the two teams, IMO, actually works against your assumption that the second team should perform better. Sanchez's team, despite his own failings, had heart for days. Almost to a man, they are fighters. Eventhough he was injured most of the season, I think McBride typifies it. He'd put his head on John Terry's cleats if it meant getting a goal. Who on our current team would do that?

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Legate21 on November 25, 2013, 10:14:24 AM
Brian McBride led from the front, with pure passion and determination. There's not an ounce of passion in Berbatov, Ruiz and Bent.
Hit the Nail on the head McBride would make a difference today, add in Davies who gave us creativity,width and was solid in defensively

Twig

Very interesting comparison, I think many of us might reflect and agree that, somewhat surprisingly, the 07/08 team was at least as strong, if not stronger.  Obviously McBride, Demsey, Davies and Murphy were right up there but I would also prefer Konch, Hughes & Baird (of that era), Bullard, Boca and possibly Kamara.  Add in the fact that Volzy, Niemi and Ki-Hyeon could be useful and it was not a bad side.

I was no fan of Sanchez but he did get unlucky with injuries and some appalling refereeing decisions.

MJG

I think our squad today is far better. It could be argued that the best 'team' can come from the majority of the 07/08 team..based on how Roy got them playing..not sanchez.