News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What really can happen, for us, in the January transfer window?

Started by ToodlesMcToot, November 25, 2013, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

What I recall from discussions about our roster and roster size are that we already have the maximum number of domestic loans and that we only have one roster spot open (the one for Diarra).

So how limited are we, actually, in what we can do once the transfer window opens?

As we stand now, to me, we need help at center of defense, left back, and central midfield. If folks agree, what are our options to getting enough cover in?

Are we able to get more than one senior player in, via loan or transfer, without having to sell a player first?

Or, are our hands tied until we sell off some of the team members?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Bedford White

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 25, 2013, 07:31:32 PM
What I recall from discussions about our roster and roster size are that we already have the maximum number of domestic loans and that we only have one roster spot open (the one for Diarra).

So how limited are we, actually, in what we can do once the transfer window opens?

As we stand now, to me, we need help at center of defense, left back, and central midfield. If folks agree, what are our options to getting enough cover in?

Are we able to get more than one senior player in, via loan or transfer, without having to sell a player first?

I see little point in retaining Berbatov or Ruiz, neither contribute enough to keep their places on the team. Sell them both for £6-7m.

Buy a striker (Defoe), line up another (Shane Long) for June. Buy a good Central attacking Midfielder (Van der Vaart) and a Left Back (Büttner)?

We could do this surely? I don't think more loans will work for us.

Rhys Lightning 63

We'd have to free up some spots in the 25 for signing players first.

I'm assuming Riise is on his way out, so that's one that I can think of off the top of my head
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Herbie

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on November 25, 2013, 08:07:27 PM
We'd have to free up some spots in the 25 for signing players first.

I'm assuming Riise is on his way out, so that's one that I can think of off the top of my head

I'm with Toodles, I thought we had one senior spot open.

Count Berbatov

The last thing you need is a striker. That's usually a formation with one up top and an advanced no 10. You have no midfield. How can't you see your problem! You very got strikers, wingers, decent defense... But teams are going through your middle running circles around your midfield players.
But the hater here for Berbatov and Ruiz blinds you big time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

MrProphet

Quote from: Count Berbatov on November 25, 2013, 08:15:15 PM
The last thing you need is a striker. That's usually a formation with one up top and an advanced no 10. You have no midfield. How can't you see your problem! You very got strikers, wingers, decent defense... But teams are going through your middle running circles around your midfield players.

Oh no we agree our midfield isn't up to scratch but that doesn't detract from the fact that Count Sulkatov and Bambi aren't worth the stupid salaries they both take home every week

Sell them both, Senderos andRiise. Bring in a winger, two central midfielders, New left back and a centre back

Herbie

Quote from: MrProphet on November 25, 2013, 08:25:26 PM

Oh no we agree our midfield isn't up to scratch but that doesn't detract from the fact that Count Sulkatov and Bambi aren't worth the stupid salaries they both take home every week

Sell them both, Senderos andRiise. Bring in a winger, two central midfielders, New left back and a centre back

In the January transfer window? Mid-season is a risky time to go for wholesale changes; decent players will be overpriced. 

We've already got the makings of a good Premier League squad, someone just has to get them operating as a unit rather than a group of individuals.

MrProphet

Quote from: Herbie on November 25, 2013, 08:32:18 PM

In the January transfer window? Mid-season is a risky time to go for wholesale changes; decent players will be overpriced. 

We've already got the makings of a good Premier League squad, someone just has to get them operating as a unit rather than a group of individuals.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I really believe that Ruiz and berbatov along with the twit in charge are the problem. Ruiz's brain doesn't operate quick enough for the league and if you sneeze in is his general direction he loses the ball. As for berbatov his arrogance has overtaken his ability this year, he is no longer effective and his attitude is poison

If we are smart there are players out there. Tom ince for example I have no doubt he is prem quality and contract up in the summer, Blackpool can't let him go for free.

Bassey the warrior

Our strikers can't buy a goal so a striker is definitely a priority. Central midfield isn't as big a problem as it was now Kasami has dropped into part of a midfield three. However the problem area is the holding midfielder. Only Boateng is suited to that role and he looks rusty. So another one of those would be useful. That would mean shifting out another central midfielder.

Central defence does continue to be a problem, we have no pace there. Getting someone quicker would be ideal but if not the holding midfielder can protect the defence.

None of our attacking midfielders or creative players bar Kasami have impressed so moves there may be required though I'd attribute a lot of that to tactics.

Left back is a problem, although Rixhardson wasnt too bad on Saturday. We will need one anyway as Riise will leave and Briggs isn't ready.

TWFL

Indeed. Bent will get the goals for us, better service is whats required. Midfield has absolutely 100% got to be main area of investment. Sick of saying it now but Sidwell and Parker can't play together. Parker needs a new right hand man and I'm not sure Boateng is quite up to scratch.

Also we don't need to sell players, IIRC a few of the squad spots are taken up by U21s who don't need to be registered (see David, Mesca, Kaca etc.) so we could just swap them out for someone else and they'd still be able to play.

ToodlesMcToot

Sorry. Ruiz is far too weak in posession right now. No confidence. He does not need to be in the team playing at the moment. Very talented player who I like, but we cannot afford to be playing him on his current form.

This is just the wrong team for Berbatov IMHO. By the way, can you explain why Berbatov completely ignored Parker in the Southampton game and refused to mark Lambert? If he can't be bothered to defend for us on set pieces, even when just putting his body in the way would have likely saved a goal, what good is he to us? He has been a great player, but his abilities aren't gamechanging any longer.

That aside, everyone here knows our central midfield is a shambles. Kasami should be playing next to Parker until a more creative two way player can be found/bought.

Our defence has been shambolic this season. We've never been settled on four players who can get the job done. Hence, the communication that must take place doesn't take place and they are disorganized as hell. We've got to move on from Brede right now and get in another CB. If Brede is able to get to 100% before the end of the season, then great. If not, then we've got what we need to have a chance at survival.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

jmh

Quote from: TWFL on November 25, 2013, 08:45:55 PM
Indeed. Bent will get the goals for us, better service is whats required.
What was wrong with the service he got on Saturday?  He wasted, what, three golden chances?  Four?  Bent is useless.

Admin

January will be to late. The real changes need to happen now, and that means removing Jol and putting someone in charge who can motivate that current squad. OK, it isn't great, but on paper we've got some half decent talent who, if managed correctly, can get us results.

Once January comes, who ever is in charge needs to be shrewed with a few clever buys. Like above, we don't need a striker. Bent will get us the goals IF he gets the service and so will Berbatov, even though his laziness drives me up the wall.

Most important signing is a creative midfielder, again, like above, Paker and Sidwell don't go together, the same goes for Parker and Boateng, Parker and Karagounis. We've missed a Dembele' type player ever since he left and for the life of me, finances or what ever reasons, Jol has refused to replace him.

We realistically need a left back, central defender and if I'm going for broke a hard working type Dempsey player.

No point in saying all this is Khan refuses to back us in January. If he doesn't, then it's unfortunately all over..

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Admin on November 25, 2013, 08:59:52 PM
January will be to late. The real changes need to happen now, and that means removing Jol and putting someone in charge who can motivate that current squad. OK, it isn't great, but on paper we've got some half decent talent who, if managed correctly, can get us results.

Once January comes, who ever is in charge needs to be shrewed with a few clever buys. Like above, we don't need a striker. Bent will get us the goals IF he gets the service and so will Berbatov, even though his laziness drives me up the wall.

Most important signing is a creative midfielder, again, like above, Paker and Sidwell don't go together, the same goes for Parker and Boateng, Parker and Karagounis. We've missed a Dembele' type player ever since he left and for the life of me, finances or what ever reasons, Jol has refused to replace him.

We realistically need a left back, central defender and if I'm going for broke a hard working type Dempsey player.

No point in saying all this is Khan refuses to back us in January. If he doesn't, then it's unfortunately all over..

Whilst I'd love Mousa back I feel Kasami can play that role and indeed did so on Saturday. He tracks back and his tackling will improve, he gets forward, shoots and he can pick a pass.
Also I feel Boateng and Parker played well together in thr first half on Saturday. The problem was on the wing. Boateng would've prevented Shelvey scoring.

He needs to work on his game as he was rash at times and twice too casual just outside the box but his positioning was top notch.

TWFL

Quote from: jmh on November 25, 2013, 08:58:59 PM
Quote from: TWFL on November 25, 2013, 08:45:55 PM
Indeed. Bent will get the goals for us, better service is whats required.
What was wrong with the service he got on Saturday?  He wasted, what, three golden chances?  Four?  Bent is useless.
It's not a specific reference to his performance on Saturday, yes he missed some chances (some of the poor on his behalf, some due to some incredible defending) but so does every other striker on the planet. Give him another full game and I will guarantee, given another chance similar to Saturday, he will score.

Bedford White

Quote from: Bedford White on November 25, 2013, 08:05:14 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 25, 2013, 07:31:32 PM

I see little point in retaining Berbatov or Ruiz, neither contribute enough to keep their places on the team. Sell them both for £6-7m.

Buy a striker (Defoe), line up another (Shane Long) for June. Buy a good Central attacking Midfielder (Van der Vaart) and a Left Back (Büttner)?

We could do this surely? I don't think more loans will work for us.

I want to make it clear that I do not hate Berbatov or Ruiz, both are fine footballers but unfortunately neither of them are up for the fight that awaits us.

I've suggested Defoe as he's very mobile and can run in behind. He'd replace Berbatov. Shane Long would be a good fit for us IMO, his contract at WBA ends in June so we could line him up to replace Bent as his lone comes to an end.

Now central midfield, Rafael Van der Vaart strikes me as the kind of player we need, maybe he's too expensive but 12 matches with 6 goals and 6 assists for Hamburg says it all really.

Left Back Büttner doesn't appear to be getting much play time at Man U so maybe there's a deal there. A long term LB solution. As for CB I hope the Brede comes back soon. However if not I'm not sure who we could go for.

Now obviously winter transfers cost more and there is always risk with new players and major changes but in our current situation is see no other course of action. This patient is in a critical condition and major surgury is the best and only course of action.

Count Berbatov

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 25, 2013, 08:56:20 PM

Sorry. Ruiz is far too weak in posession right now. No confidence. He does not need to be in the team playing at the moment. Very talented player who I like, but we cannot afford to be playing him on his current form.

This is just the wrong team for Berbatov IMHO. By the way, can you explain why Berbatov completely ignored Parker in the Southampton game and refused to mark Lambert? If he can't be bothered to defend for us on set pieces, even when just putting his body in the way would have likely saved a goal, what good is he to us? He has been a great player, but his abilities aren't gamechanging any longer.

That aside, everyone here knows our central midfield is a shambles. Kasami should be playing next to Parker until a more creative two way player can be found/bought.

Our defence has been shambolic this season. We've never been settled on four players who can get the job done. Hence, the communication that must take place doesn't take place and they are disorganized as hell. We've got to move on from Brede right now and get in another CB. If Brede is able to get to 100% before the end of the season, then great. If not, then we've got what we need to have a chance at survival.
Brede loss of form is such a mystery to me. But I'm sure it is only temporary. Lovebites is good and all in all, the defense has been different every game, hence the miscommunication. But with no cover from the midfield, it's just absurd to expect wonders from them.
Berbatov obviously didn't follow parkers instructions when defending that corner. That proves nothing.
Berbatov is trying harder lately, running and all, but his game suffers from that. He needs time on the ball, or he will never play to his strength
At United, he walked a lot, but made clever runs. Along with controlling the ball and feeding the quick players. In the penalty area, he's priceless
Sadly at Fulham, he gets to play his killer passes at around half way line.
I also don't consider him good in the air. He has no business defending. Most likely won't jump of the ground, unless the ball hits him on the head
Jol needs to figure a way to play his players to their strengths

I am waiting for the day Karagounis, Parker, Kasami, Sidwell, Boateng all start together. That's your only hope considering what's available at the moment
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

jarv

Count, I agree we need to flood the midfield with fighters now. However, I agree with earlier comment, ruiz and berbatov have to go. Dump them and their wages. Might get 2 mill for each. (If lucky).
Players are out there but I don't think Jol is the man to identify the right ones.

Deanothefulhamfan

I would get rid of Riise as a start... and I am almost certain Berbatov will be sold in January... So 3 spots to fill

Left Back, and two strikers... We can't rely on Bent and Rodallega to get us goals

I don't think we are weak in central midfield ( if Kasami can slot in)  it is just that we are not playing the correct players.

N_O_W_S

Quote from: MrProphet on November 25, 2013, 08:39:27 PM
Quote from: Herbie on November 25, 2013, 08:32:18 PM

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I really believe that Ruiz and berbatov along with the twit in charge are the problem. Ruiz's brain doesn't operate quick enough for the league and if you sneeze in is his general direction he loses the ball. As for berbatov his arrogance has overtaken his ability this year, he is no longer effective and his attitude is poison

If we are smart there are players out there. Tom ince for example I have no doubt he is prem quality and contract up in the summer, Blackpool can't let him go for free.

I like Tom Ince but his end product in crossing and deliveries is not great. He would cost a fair but as well as he has two years left on his contract. Probably ask for £10mill and we are not getting that kind of money to spend.