watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zola Sacked

Started by White Noise, May 11, 2010, 10:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

I dont really know what to make of him as a manager. The players like him but I am unsure how good he is.

I think Roy should take him under his wing as assistant manager and show him the ropes, Zola for assistant manger!

White Noise

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 11, 2010, 10:54:31 AM
I dont really know what to make of him as a manager. The players like him but I am unsure how good he is.

I think Roy should take him under his wing as assistant manager and show him the ropes, Zola for assistant manger!

I agree with you that its difficult to judge Zola's capabilities. I do rate Steve Clarke though and I wonder whether he will move on now Zola has gone.

FC Silver Fox

I agree he has the potential to be a good manager, just lacks experience.
Needs nurturing , a bit like John Collins  ( a future manager of Fulham???)
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

epsomraver

I think he jumped , how can he be a manager when the two muppet owners are bidding for players without his knowledge?

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

unless West Ham get Mark Hughes as manager,they will sink like a stone and quickly :doh:
they need a manager who will tell Waldorf and Statler to back the hell off and let him do his job and Mark Hughes seems to be the only manager strong enough to do that :dft012:

LBNo11

...I feel sorry for the consumate professional that is GF Zola (as a player he would have fitted in at Fulham so well) but he was thrown in at the deep end at the highest level and like so many before him found they were out of their depth.

As many of us said when he was first appointed, he should have cut his teeth in the lower leagues and learned from his mistakes before they became too costly; the premiership magnifies faults.

Of course the financial instability of the club and the changes of ownership, especially to the current ne'er do wells hasn't helped his cause or concentration.

He is best off out of WHU as his reputation would have been forever tarnished. As to who will be the new manager, who fits the profile of that club/fans/owners - George Graham...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FFCOutpostCommander

I think we will see more and more PL managers coming under tight scrutiny as they will all be compared to Roy. It can no longer be said that to do better, you just need to spend big on players. It's a very fine line between solid prem players and the so called super stars. A well trained and managed team like Fulham can accomplish great things and now other clubs are starting to work their way up the table with "average" players. Can only be good for the league going forward.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

CorkedHat

There have been moments in my life when I have thought that I would like to have been a manager.
Leading my team out on the verdant grass of Wembley to play in a Cup Final with a bevy of players that I have coached and nurtured seemed like the ultimate dream of anyone who loved the game but was now too old to play.
But then your thoughts turn to some of the pricks who own football clubs like those at West Ham and you know that your pride and dignity would never allow you to work for or with them.
I don't know how good Zola is either – in truth he probably had a lot to learn – but what I do know is that I would have been giving West Ham two fingers long before he did.
It seems to me that there is a carousel of managers – the same old brigade on a merry-go-round who stop off at the first opportunity, thus we have the same old names being linked to the West Ham job.
Right now there is a bloke managing Bournemouth called Eddie Howe. He is not ready yet to manage a Premier League club but any team looking for an assistant manager who will one day rise to the top they could do a lot worse than offer Eddie the position.
This is what should have happened to Zola. Big name players do not necessarily make big name managers but no matter who you are, surely you need to serve some kind of apprenticeship.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

GoldCoastWhite

I remember Zola's last game at The Cottage and the standing ovation he got from a huge majority of the crowd. I'm sure he looked puzzled for a moment, wondering if it was a piss take, before breaking out in a huge grin and returning the applause. Real football fans at a real football club showing respect to a damn good player and good guy - even if he was playing for the dark side. Just another of those episodes that make me so proud to be Fulham and I wish him luck in his future endeavours. I hope he swallows his pride and takes an assistant position somewhere and comes back for another go with an apprenticeship under his belt. Forza Gian Franco !