watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martin Jol's Managerial Record

Started by Tonywa, December 01, 2013, 03:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonywa

I don't claim to know exactly why everything has gone so badly during his time at the Cottage,but I do wonder, if Jol is as poor a manager as many here suggest and as is evidenced by the team's performances over the last twelve months in particular, why his career managerial record is so impressive.  Any ideas?

alexbishop

Someone had a very good explanation for this a while ago. The general jist was Jol's managerial style and tactics works when he has a team of very talented players but is completely useless with squads like ours. His management is 'individualist' as opposed to the whole 'team is greater than the sum if it's parts' style (Hodgson)

Basically I think his style worked 5-10 years ago, but is now considered dated and old fashioned and he hasn't kept up with modern developments in the game.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

JDH101

I agree with Alex Bishop. I think the game has changed drastically in the last 5-6 years. Jol hasn't. I think he is doing the same thing he has always been doing and he can't understand why things aren't working.

Holders

I truly believe he's lost it mentally and is in a state of self-delusion. He needs treatment.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Tonywa

Cheers. That seems to make some sort of sense and certainly many of his signings indicate that he favours an individualistic approach.  Certainly the way we are set up to play could hardly be more different from Roy's rigid, if effective for us, two banks of four.

ron

The Fulham balloon is scraping along at the bottom, but today a fair bit of ballast has been ditched, so let's hope for the expected effect....