watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why are they not given a chance?

Started by GorgeousGus, December 02, 2013, 10:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GorgeousGus

Maybe it was an exceptional year but the youth side I used to go and watch as a kid supplied 7 players that went on to play in the first team - and that was when we were in the top division - ok  one of them only played once and one played 3 times but the rest all had at least one complete season and several, many seasons in the first team - we spend a fortune on our academy - and don't seem to get a lot for our money!
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff."

Jamie88

To be fair I think this is the first time in our history where we genuinely have one of the best youth squads in the country, so we are unlikely to see them in the first team until a couple of years from now

God The Mechanic

Times have changed. It was only a decade ago that kids were routinely given a chance in the top division, so few teams can afford the risk anymore.

ToodlesMcToot

My choice wouldn't be to bring the youth anywhere near to the first team in its current state. Extremely poor example to be set.

For me, the first team need to prove themselves worthy of being a part of the youth's development.

If/when the first team get their act together and stop letting their heads down at the first sign of adversity, then it may be time to blood a few youngsters.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

HatterDon

I disagree, Toodler. I'd bring all of the promising kids in and tell the "regulars," Look. You want to keep your jobs? Then you can show the passion and desire that they do. Until I see it, you're on your way to losing your wage level.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: HatterDon on December 03, 2013, 03:47:36 AM
I disagree, Toodler. I'd bring all of the promising kids in and tell the "regulars," Look. You want to keep your jobs? Then you can show the passion and desire that they do. Until I see it, you're on your way to losing your wage level.

THIS
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

GloucesterWhite

'You want to keep your jobs'? They are under contract.

As for the kids: Cauley Woodrow currently playing for a div 2 side; Trotta playing for a div 1 side;+
Burn, came off the bench for Birmingham. Dembele could be worth a run out, but none of the others look good enough for our first team right now. Play a few in the early cup rounds, but not for premiership games.

HatterDon

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on December 03, 2013, 07:32:20 AM

As for the kids: Cauley Woodrow currently playing for a div 2 side; Trotta playing for a div 1 side;+
Burn, came off the bench for Birmingham. Dembele could be worth a run out, but none of the others look good enough for our first team right now. Play a few in the early cup rounds, but not for premiership games.

two things:

1. Jobs as in starting positions. Losing your starting position when your team is fighting for your life drops you down the salary and transfer table when you negotiate again. Ask Darren Bent.

2. This thread is about players currently playing in the U-18s and U21s. Liam Rosenior is playing for Hull, but I don't see how he's any less apropos to this thread than Burn, Trotta, and Woodrow.

ToodlesMcToot

Agree to disagree then. I wouldn't let the young ones anywhere near that negative attitude. Too contagious. When the seniors are playing with some drive and confidence, then I'd challenge all of them with youthful additions.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Black, White and Fred

Arthurworrey is looking like one hell of a CB. Dembele came on for Bent in an U21's game and scored within 5 minutes, succeeding where Bent had failed for 65 mins.
Tankovic and David also look very useful players. They should be making the bench on occasion at least. Why persist with what we have at the moment which clearly hasn't been working.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

RaySmith

It's all about getting us to play as team , rather than bringing in young, inexperienced players at random.

A bad Prem experience could ruin them, and also  lead to us disintegrating completely. Now isn't the time to experiement, though i'm glad to see Demebele getting his chance.

At the moment we bring them in gradually - the best ones -and loan some out for experience in lower leagues, and this is the practise of most other teams.

HatterDon

Quote from: RaySmith on December 03, 2013, 11:07:23 PM
It's all about getting us to play as team , rather than bringing in young, inexperienced players at random.

A bad Prem experience could ruin them, and also  lead to us disintegrating completely. Now isn't the time to experiement, though i'm glad to see Demebele getting his chance.

At the moment we bring them in gradually - the best ones -and loan some out for experience in lower leagues, and this is the practise of most other teams.

So the only way to bring them in is "at random?"

EJL

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on December 03, 2013, 07:32:20 AM

Burn started for Birmingham last night: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25098380

Deanothefulhamfan

Burn got dropped for one game, and Clark came out sayingnwhy he had been dropped. He is now a regular back in the Birmingham team and from my understanding has been one of their best players this season.

If we were to go down he is a ready made championship player at least.

Back to the OP I would be happy to basically have our under 21 team start. Only a few players in the first team deserve to keep their place, everyone else needs to now fight with the kids for places as they have been so woeful this season.

K33NY

completely agree!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk