watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Moral Victories

Started by threedhomer, December 04, 2013, 11:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threedhomer

There is a very successful coach in America by the name of Steve Spurrier.  He has some thoughts that relate to the game at the Cottage today:

"In '06, we lost a close one to Auburn. They sort of clapped as the guys left the field. So yeah, I said, 'Please don't do that again. Please don't clap when you lose a game.' There's no moral victories in any sport."

Max Headroom

Well you obviously haven't been to any other games this season. We played with heart tonight, and I'll support my team if they fight. What I won't put up with is paying overpaid prima donnas just turn up to collect their pay checks.

We saw a team tonight that will win on Sunday!

threedhomer

That's not really the point.  We should always expect to win, and be disappointed with a loss.  Isn't that how sport works?  Get the players believing there are no "moral victories" and you will see better results and better attitudes.  And yes I fully understand Spurs has a younger, more talented squad. 

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: threedhomer on December 04, 2013, 11:42:42 PM
That's not really the point.  We should always expect to win, and be disappointed with a loss.  Isn't that how sport works?  Get the players believing there are no "moral victories" and you will see better results and better attitudes.  And yes I fully understand Spurs has a younger, more talented squad. 

Pointless post, be happy, our fulham is back! :D

Jack Fulham

I don't think their is a collective 'we should' when it comes to sport. Everyone has a different attitude, that's why some people are champions and some people choose to support certain teams. Personally, if I see a good performance and that person or team has given their best, I am satisfied regardless of whether it is a win or a loss.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Jack Fulham on December 05, 2013, 12:09:26 AM

I don't think their is a collective 'we should' when it comes to sport. Everyone has a different attitude, that's why some people are champions and some people choose to support certain teams. Personally, if I see a good performance and that person or team has given their best, I am satisfied regardless of whether it is a win or a loss.
Good point.  After watching far too many gutless lacklustre performances recently, I for one was extremely happy to see us play with a bit of passion and willingness to work as a team.
Winning is important in sport, if you are playing, but as a watching, paying member of the public I pay to be entertained and to leave feeling that I have had value for money.  Winning is a bonus.  The amount of people who act like ar5es just because they lose, take away a lot of the pleasure of watching sport. You become far to focused on the result and forget to enjoy the performance.   If winning was all that mattered I would support Barcelona not my beloved Fulham.  Supporting Fulham is about more than results....it's part of your soul.  That is why I have put up with so many lows for over 40 years.  It is like being in love with a beautiful women, who does not really love you back, but when she smiles at you from time to time, it makes it all worth while.  Enjoys those smiles when they are there.
COYW :)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

HatterDon

Quote from: threedhomer on December 04, 2013, 11:06:01 PM
There is a very successful coach in America by the name of Steve Spurrier.  He has some thoughts that relate to the game at the Cottage today:

"In '06, we lost a close one to Auburn. They sort of clapped as the guys left the field. So yeah, I said, 'Please don't do that again. Please don't clap when you lose a game.' There's no moral victories in any sport."

For those of you who don't know, Steve Spurrier is also a colossal asshat.

I agree with the distinguished gentleman who replied, "Pointless post, be happy. Our Fulham is back."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel