watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Villa

Started by mikeyffc28, December 05, 2013, 10:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyffc28

I went to the Saints v Villa game last night and thought I would feedback how Villa played.  I definitely feel that Sunday is a winnable game for us.  The Villa players worked hard as a unit to try and win the ball back as Saints were keeping possession and passing well, but Villa looked really good on the counter attack.  Delph for me was outstanding from start to finish, but nothing/no-one else really stood out.   

ltd-ffc

Quote from: mikeyffc28 on December 05, 2013, 10:46:16 AM
I went to the Saints v Villa game last night and thought I would feedback how Villa played.  I definitely feel that Sunday is a winnable game for us.  The Villa players worked hard as a unit to try and win the ball back as Saints were keeping possession and passing well, but Villa looked really good on the counter attack.  Delph for me was outstanding from start to finish, but nothing/no-one else really stood out.   
definitely a good result for them I am worried about our game to be fair our defenders really do need to have their wits about them. Hopefully rene lines us up to prevent them countering because i do think they are not much without countering
"Happy that Middlesbrough didn't go up, just for the main fact that @Patrick_Bamford is a sausage boy" Ryan Tunnicliffe June 2015

God The Mechanic

Villa are all about pace, something we lack quite drastically.  Would quite like a proper holding player in front of the back four which would allow the full backs (ideally only really one at a time) to support the attack.

callumc513

Quote from: God The Mechanic on December 05, 2013, 11:37:45 AM
Villa are all about pace, something we lack quite drastically.  Would quite like a proper holding player in front of the back four which would allow the full backs (ideally only really one at a time) to support the attack.

Boateng? Although I worry about his record of receiving a yellow card far too early in games, and a result getting taken off around the 60th minute. I think we've conceded very soon after he's been taken off in all games?

God The Mechanic

Quote from: callumc513 on December 05, 2013, 12:18:51 PM
Boateng? Although I worry about his record of receiving a yellow card far too early in games, and a result getting taken off around the 60th minute. I think we've conceded very soon after he's been taken off in all games?

IMO that's the problem with this squad, too many 60 minute players.  Riise could just be down to match fitness, Richardson loses appendages after about that time, Karagounis is 900 years old so is obviously gonna tire around then, Parker will have run himself into the ground by then, Boateng is likely to be on a booking/not match fit, Duff doesn't have the legs to play a full 90 anymore, Taarabt probably still isn't fully match fit/in shape.  Too many players that you'd like to start can't play the full game, and it forces substitutions.

Fulham76

A classic 'smash & grab' I heard.
Southampton apparently had 77% possession & completely dominated the game with something like 10 attempts on target. Villa had 4 attempts in the entire match. Not a bad conversion rate but unusual to come away with a win when under that much pressure.

callumc513

Quote from: God The Mechanic on December 05, 2013, 12:23:40 PM
Quote from: callumc513 on December 05, 2013, 12:18:51 PM

IMO that's the problem with this squad, too many 60 minute players.  Riise could just be down to match fitness, Richardson loses appendages after about that time, Karagounis is 900 years old so is obviously gonna tire around then, Parker will have run himself into the ground by then, Boateng is likely to be on a booking/not match fit, Duff doesn't have the legs to play a full 90 anymore, Taarabt probably still isn't fully match fit/in shape.  Too many players that you'd like to start can't play the full game, and it forces substitutions.

Yeah I definitely agree, not sure that Duff/Taarabt will start that many games though so I wouldn't be too concerned about them. You're completely right about the central midfielders though. I think we need a more positionally disciplined Makélélé-like CM in Jan who can calmy retain possession and keep us 'ticking over' so others can confidently move higher up the pitch without fear of losing the ball too often.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Fulham76 on December 05, 2013, 12:29:35 PM
A classic 'smash & grab' I heard.
Southampton apparently had 77% possession & completely dominated the game with something like 10 attempts on target. Villa had 4 attempts in the entire match. Not a bad conversion rate but unusual to come away with a win when under that much pressure.

This is good to hear. It's unlikely they'll have the same luck against us and unlikely two teams in a row will come away with an undeserved win against us at the Cottage... right?

I'm trying not to look at the table at the moment. 72 points still up for grabs, plenty of winnable games. The players just need to keep up the same level in every game and we'll surely win more than we lose in the next 24.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

BestOfBrede

I just hope that we all have patience with the new regime, as although last night was a mega massive improvement, I wouldn't expect miracles in just a few games. It will take time to get the team playing as he wants and therefore I dread us losing to Villa and the boo boys returning!  fp.gif

Berserker

It will be a shame if we get booing, I hope it doesn't happen
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Berserker on December 05, 2013, 01:42:07 PM
It will be a shame if we get booing, I hope it doesn't happen
As I said - patience is needed now and full support as per last night! Together I think we will get out of this but if people have no patience and turn on the team again I fear we've had it!

RidgeRider

Glad to hear you felt Villa could be had. I appreciate the report.

RE: Not match fit players. Many of the "not yet match fit" players listed in previous posts: Duff, Kara, Boeteng, Riis. They've been essentially frozen out of the starting Xi under Jol, until Rene got here. Boeteng would be a good shout for helping the defense against the counter. I think it is worth the risk of the yellow card to keep Villa in check. If he does get a yellow, we could always bring Sidwell in to replace him in that spot as a holding mid or move Parker into a more holding role and slot Kara into his spot for whatever is left in the match.

We have the players to shift around but Boeteng should be in the defensive mid spot regardless of his propensity to get yellows.

HatterDon

I've watched most of Villa's matches this season and they're improved over last season. Agbonlahor has always been a problem for us, and he'll continue to be.

Lineup? I'm happy for Rene to put out his XI. I'll go along with him.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel