watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Villa

Started by terryr, December 06, 2013, 04:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

Here is what I could pull together today. If I have time, I'll update tomorrow COYW!

"So, after beating Southampton and breaking their home record we have Fulham this Sunday. Southampton on the other hand go up against an extremely in form Man City.
Dependent on goals, we have a chance to go 9th on the weekend and a few of the teams around us have tough games.
2-0 win."

"The last time we lost away from home to a side outside the BIG 4 of Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man City, was against Fulham WAY back in October 2012.  For that reason and 'all good things must come to an end ' I fear they will pip us this time too"

"They're in very bad form, Berbatov does not want to be there and they will be unable to play Darren Bent.
I thought we'd smash Sunderland though, so you'll probably be right!"

"They did look reinvigorated slightly against spuds. Their new coach is no mug either, we're in for a tough game. If Vlaar is out which is highly likely, and we suffer a severe lack of possession again, mixed in with the fact that its a sky Sunday live game - well the odds are stacked against us. But Fulham are pony and we should go into it with confidence after tonight.  1-1 i reckon"

"I would be extremely confident of a win if Jol was still there, but they showed tonight that they are willing to put up a fight for their new manager and I have a feeling it could be quite close. Might just nick it 2-1, I hear we are quite good at those counter attacks. :P
Formation wise if Vlaar is out we will have to revert back to the 4-3-3 as Lowton doesn't cut it as the 3rd centre back. Kozak should keep his place up front and it would most likely be Weimann that would come in up front to form a 3 up top."

"Strangely not looking forward to this one. Especially if Vlaar is out.
Think we'll lose "

"I echo the slight pessimism regarding this one. I would've been much more confident had Fulham got something earlier. Instead they will be going into this on a six-game losing streak and teams always seem to find form against us.
Although we beat Southampton with it, I don't we should be showing Fulham the same respect by playing 3-5-2 again. Back to 4-3-3 for me and with Vlaar out there is a decent chance of that happening:
Guzan
Bacuna Clark Baker Luna
KEA Westwood Delph
Weimann Kozak Gabby
I think that team generally picks itself. I've opted for Weimann as I didn't think he was bad when he got the ball against Sunderland and he obviously did his bit when he came on at Albion. The only other question was Kozak or Benteke and I'd just about go for Kozak again.
I won't be too negative and will go for a 1-1 draw. Weimann for us and Berbatov to equalise late on for them."

"Sunderland game - I said they wouldn't score - They didn't
Southampton game - I said it would be a 2-1 win with the winner being a Benteke deflection from a Delph shot - It was 2-1 for a point of the game and Benteke forgot to get in the way of Delph's shot but still...
I think these prove I know what I'm talking about, yeah? yes...so...
Fulham game - This will be a big one, we're gonna win 5-2 and Clark will score a header from a corner."

"I'd say this one is ripe for the picking. Three more away points please"

"An early goal for us will see fulham heads drop, and the longer we go without scoring the more confident they'll get. Absolutely need to go in leading at half time in this one "

"Another game that we should win, but there are no guarantees in this league. It's a shame that Jol went before we had chance to play them, as I think it'd have been pretty much a given. Again, I'd probably start Kozak and bring on Benteke on the hour or so mark, to exploit their tiring defence. 4-3-3 is probably how I'd go about this and out-do them with pace. They've got a bit more fight in them now so I don't think it'll be easy, I'm gonna say a very nervy 2-1 win.
However, with the way our results always end up going this season, we'll probably end up drawing/losing this one and then beating/drawing with Utd at home. We like a shocker!"

"Yes its a much tougher game now since Jol has been sacked. They are going to be really up for this! Could go either way this one"

"A very tough game this one, they were unlucky not to get anything against Spurs. 1-1"

"What formation do we go with this one? Benteke or Kozak? scrap the 3 at the back certainly if Vlaar is injured. "

"---------------Guzan------------------
Lowton/Bacuna Vlaar Clark Luna

----El Ahmadi Westwood Delph----

------Tonev Gabby Weimann------
Their back line is pretty slow, play with a lot of pace and go out to attack. Try for an early goal and keep pressuring all game."

" suspect it'll be an unchanged side, barring injuries. I'd like to think we won't afford them the same amount of space as we did Southampton though."

"Oh, I didn't realize we were away.
2-0 win. 35% possession. Gabby and Kozak."

"3-1 win to Villa with 48% possession.
Benteke will get a brace and Tonev will unleash an Atomic Strike that will land in the Thames"

"With Jol a win for us (saw them at Burton earlier in the season and they were very very poor). Without Jol I dont know now"

"draw for me. a 0-0. except Sunderland game I cant really remember last time we won a league game on Sky"

"Sidwell to score a screamer in the 2nd minute, shatter Delph's ankle in the 5th minute; picking up a yellow card in the process.  They'll be all over us until Sidwell gets a second yellow on the 60 minute mark and goes off sparking Lambert to throw on Benteke to replace Kozak who hasn't touched the ball once.
We then proceed to dominate completely and thrash them 1-5.
Fulham 1 - 5 Aston Villa
Sidwell (2)

Luna      (65, 69, 89)

Benteke (75, 81)
Something like that anyway...."

"They're due a win and we're due a defeat.  That's the pessimists way of looking at it  :P "
If Vlaar is out, we need to go back to 4 at the back, Lowton can't play in the center. 4-3-3, with Gabby, Weimann and Kozak up top putting pressure on their defense and forcing them into mistakes. Run their old men ragged all game and then bring Benteke on in the 60th minute when they're dead on their feet to destroy them."

"Heading down for my first visit to Craven Cottage on Sunday, here's hoping the 1000 mile round trip is worth it. "

"I'll be happy if we lose but we get over 50% possession. That's what counts isn't it?"

"Typical Villa would be to lose this having won yesterday in the seemingly tougher of the two games.  However, I think we may nick this one. 1-0 Gabby."

"Some say that basing tactics on the other team is wrong, you should decide your best game and play it. Good theory, employed by dynamic power house clubs that would win most of the time no matter what because of an abundance of talent, and clubs that lose a lot.
Fulham have a choice. Attack at home, or try to stop the bleeding by settling for a boring draw after a really bad run and instill a bit of confidence that "we can get something from the game." The first may be attractive to the new manager, but I think after wednesday they will realized the latter is their better option
So, they'll drop back and defend and make us beat them with precision and ball movement rather than on a break.
Given that. We should go back to 4-3-3
Guzan
Bacuna vlaar clark. Luna. ( baker if vlaar not ready)
KEA. Westy Delph
Albrighton kozak gabby
Weimann for albrighton makes sense, but i would give marc a shot playing more as a wing and putting in crosses for kozak at near post and gabby making far post run. Whether PL goes with weimann or albrighton look for the other to sub on with benteke at about 60 minutes.
Win for us, but final score depends on when we get the first. If we get it early 3-0 final. If we get it late, 2-0"

We haven't had back to back wins in the league this season but I think we'll put an end to that record this weekend."

Kozak had a difficult game yesterday but he did score so you can't really complain that much - it's not like he had much service.
I would put Lowton in and put Bacuna further up because I think Bacuna is too easy to play against at right back - Southampton obviously targeted him in the first half. It's also an opportunity for Lowton to get his place "   

"Why do i get the feeling we're going to be a soft touch and give Fulham a point?"

"On reflection 3-1 villa "

"If we start with Kozak, then it's best to have Albrighton instead of weimann as marc can whip in good crosses. Then at the 60 minute mark, bring on both benteke and weimann to finish fulham off (hopefully!)"

"They played decently against Spurs. This could be a much more difficult game than we are expecting. "

" think we'll win this. I think we've a better chance against Meulensteen than we did against Jol because Jol's team was petrified. They would have sat back and we'd have struggled. This Fulham, at home, with a new manager will come at us more."

"Fulham were actually pretty good against Spurs and were a little unlucky.

Could be very tricky this. "

"Can't see us winning this one, can't see Fulham losing 7 on the bounce or is it 8?"

"I'm more confident now that the expert Lawrenson has predicted us to lose. I'd be more than happy with a draw and keep our unbeaten run going to 6 games."

" They're currently on a seven game losing streak if you include their cup game"

"They still have some dangerous players - Berbatov, Hangelaand, Sidwell......"

"Sidwell couldn't hit a barn door when he played for us"

"4-0 win with 98% possession"

"Cant see them losing 7 in a row, going for a 1-1 "

"We are doomed then. EVERY team ends its losing streak against us."

"Think i might sell everything i own and put it on a Fulham win
If your a team who is having a poor run of results the best team to play is Villa"

"Did i just hear Berbatov get referred to as a "dangerous player"
If both centre half's fall asleep in the penalty area maybe.."

"Its a hard one this, Fulham are doing awful and will come out all guns blazing I think, but we have shown we can soak up pressure, whether we can keep doing that is another thing as when you are winning its all good, if we lose a couple and heads drop then we've seen what can happen. These next set of games remind me of last year when we had beaten Liverpool at Anfield and then went on a horrible run. The teams may not be as hard in the next few, but we are building up belief and need to keep that going over such a busy period of games.
Funny as it sounds I can't see us losing this one, a draw is likely, a win for us more likely than a win for them. Berbatov is a game changer though.
Don't know why Lawro can't see a second win on the bounce for us with our away form what it is, and he has only written one line about us, which says it all really. I think he just 'wants' Fulham to win, rather than 'thinks' they will! "

"Interesting one. I think a lot will depend on the first goal. If we get it, I can see us going on to win. If they come out all guns blazing and score early on, it may be difficult to get back in to it.
Just wish they'd have held on to Jol for a couple more games! "

"We must not get over confident about this match; I trust Paul Lambert and the players will prepare properly.
I have it as Fulham 1-1 Aston Villa "

"I think this game will be tougher for us as we don't tend to do much when the onus is on is to attack, hopefully they'll come at us and we'll kill them with the counter "

"Problem we have here is Fulham will see how we exposed the Saints on the break and will play cautious football...probably for a draw.
As we all know that's where our wheels fall off as we can't break down a organised defence.
hopefully PL sees this and comes away from hoffball for this....we could do with another good win which we may have to play through them to achieve. "

Burt

"They are due a win and we are due a defeat"... Lets hope that particular poster has got it nailed on the head!

Can't help but feel this will be a tough one. Villa have a strong away record, and carry a lot of threat up front, particularly on the break.

crazycottager

i pray to god that we can pull this one out, and maybe move up to 17th while were at it. west ham is in 17th, three points ahead of us, and they have liverpool as the next match.so hope that we can beat villa, and that Big Bad Benteke and agbonlahor don't spoil the fun. COYW!

supersimmo123

Big Phil and Aaron will struggle with Benteke and Gabby. We will have to play a deep back line to stop them running in behind playing off the shoulder, that's how Southampton were caught as they play such a high line!

Avillafan.com

I cant see this being a nailed on villa win as some think, Fulham played very well against Spurs and AVB dispite his smiles at full time got out of jail with the win.

Can understand why Jol failed at Fulham?? i have rated him as a manager for a while ??

on a side note, how has DB9 ( Darren Bent) done thus far at the cottage???

Avillafan.com

Quote from: supersimmo123 on December 06, 2013, 10:51:46 PM
Big Phil and Aaron will struggle with Benteke and Gabby. We will have to play a deep back line to stop them running in behind playing off the shoulder, that's how Southampton were caught as they play such a high line!

To be fair we were lucky against Soton, 3 shots and 3 on target!! but we do have team spirit and never say die attitude within the squad!

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: Avillafan.com on December 06, 2013, 10:56:34 PM
Quote from: supersimmo123 on December 06, 2013, 10:51:46 PM

To be fair we were lucky against Soton, 3 shots and 3 on target!! but we do have team spirit and never say die attitude within the squad!

Quite an important game for us. Most feel we'll beat you after Wednesdays performance against Spurs, but I'm not very confident. People say we were unlucky, true, but we were still subject to our own fate by sitting far to deep and times. What I fear is that you will hit us on the break, and our aging back four will struggle. Realistically, if we don't win and going into Man city away, it's realistically curtains for us.

EJL

Quote from: Avillafan.com on December 06, 2013, 10:54:11 PM
I cant see this being a nailed on villa win as some think, Fulham played very well against Spurs and AVB dispite his smiles at full time got out of jail with the win.

Can understand why Jol failed at Fulham?? i have rated him as a manager for a while ??

I would dig up a list of Jol's shortcomings from somewhere on the forum, but I'm all Jol'd out. Of course it wasn't entirely his fault: the players need to take a large portion of the blame and the board should have sacked him sooner.

Bent has been average when the supply lines haven't been there, and very wasteful when they have. Also seems to do better coming off the bench, which isn't really ideal. All in all, a mixed bag, but I don't see the point of him at this moment in time.

Deanothefulhamfan

Really tough game to call.... they are rght to be slightly pessimistic. We put on the same sort of performance against spurs and we could nick this one, anything less than wednesday and I fear we will be beaten.

ffc73

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on December 07, 2013, 04:52:24 AM
Really tough game to call.... they are rght to be slightly pessimistic. We put on the same sort of performance against spurs and we could nick this one, anything less than wednesday and I fear we will be beaten.

The further we move away from Wednesday night the more nervous I get.

Was mid-week a one-off or was that level of performance what we can deliver each game from now to the end of the season?

Guess we will find out tomorrow afternoon.

callumc513

Quote from: Avillafan.com on December 06, 2013, 10:54:11 PM

You basically have 4/5 strikers currently better than Bent.