watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Evening all

Started by Victor Meldrew, December 06, 2013, 07:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Meldrew

Been looking in for a while now, just never had the time to register, but must admit that FOF is by far, one of the best Fulham forums out there. Thought that it was about time I became part of the family  065.gif

As for me, I've been a regular Fulham fan for the best part of 30+ years, seen some great players at the club, along with some of the worst. Relegations, cup finals, near misses, near losses and a lot of Fulhamish moments. Not easy being a Fulham fan let me tell you.

Martin Jol.. Martin Jol. Knew he'd ruin this club slowly, was never a fan of his appointment in the first place and could see it coming from a bloody mile off. The guy loves to many flare players, and relies on individuals like Berbatov and Ruiz to win you games. It's just a shame that he, nor our supposedly clued up CEO didn't realise that this was Fulham, not Spurs.

At the end of the day, the two were a complete and utter mismatch and were destined to fail.

Where does that leave us now? Heavily in the brown stuff if you ask me. Jol should have been sacked 5-6 games ago and this may now turn out to be a BIG learning curve for Shahid Khan. Hopefully he will learn to dispatch of people a lot quicker when it comes to a results industry.

Me personally, I wasn't convinced by the Spurs performance. Thought it was part and parcel of Jol being sacked, players feeling a bit guilty and a bit of the old new manager syndrome. We've been poor for far to long to convince ourselves that this is going to continue and talks of beating Villa, escaping relegation and finishing 10th are ridiculous at this moment in time. 

However you look at it, the players did finally put in a shift Wednesday night, but I personally thought it was ours to throw away, and we did. Yes, there was a sniff of offside from Defo, yes there was a thunderbolt from Holtby and yes, there were two good saves from Lioris, but we did end up playing far to deep again and invited Spurs onto us. However you look at it, you make your own luck.

Not convinced we're going to turn up and beat Villa on Sunday. They've got the best away record in the Premiership, and have only shipped 16 goals all season. This is a typical side that will punish you on the break, well especially when playing against our aging back four.

Sorry to be an old Victor Meldrew with my first post, but 2-1 to Villa whilst pilling more pressure on our relegation woes.           

HatterDon

Welcome  076.gif

I just hope your appearance doesn't mean that Fulham have one foot in the ... well, you know.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

horse1031

076.gif

You do sound Fulham 049:gif

Victor Meldrew

Forgot to add, I knew that mugging off the Ha Ha's last season would finally have an impact. I'm a big believer in going about your business quietly, and what goes around, finally comes around. Well, it is, and was very un-Fulham like of us. I just hope we don't live to regret it because the difference is, they will bounce back where as we won't  092.gif     

Lighthouse

Ah a person after my own heart. Miserable with just a hint of despair.

Welcome Mr Meldrew and I hope you entertain us with more posts. Tend to agree with all you say. However for the first time in a few years it will be at least worth watching how we get on against Villa.

When we beat Villa at least you can be the first to say ' I don't belive it'

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

K33NY

076.gif Welcome!! on your first post I allready know your not a man of BS but reasonable thoughts and meanings! :)

malc

Have to agree with you regarding the Spurs game Victor.It was a vastly improved performance and we didn't really deserve to lose.But the fact is we did lose and are now 4 points from safety if you take our poor goal difference into account.If we're going to get out of this mess then we need to go on an unbeaten run and I can't see us doing it-not  with the current squad anyway.Maybe January will bring some pleasant surprises,if not then I fear we are doomed.I'm not one to"stop believing" but I think the damage has already been done by the Demon Jol.

Fernhurst

Welcome mate,even though your first post is far too Victor like.

We relish healthy realism but there has been a fresh burst of optimism since Wednesday which we have all enjoyed.

Let's hope you are not a Ha Ha plant or Fat Fred will be dispatched to your gaff.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

ron

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 06, 2013, 07:55:14 PM
...... Not easy being a Fulham fan let me tell you.

....No, I really don't think you have to! 

Welcome to the House of Misery!  :033:

crazycottager

hi, i'm new here too 076.gif but i do agree with a few points. we don't know how the players are going to react, but i'm cautiously watching to see what happens. Mark my words, i'm a massive fan of the club, but i prefer to see the sunny side with this. But Kahn needs to smarten up, and learn lessons fast, or we will go down. Mulensteen needs to get on a winning run, or relegation will be punched in by January. so let's hope he can pull a Roy and keep us up, cause i would hate to see us drop back down after so many years of stability.

terryr

Quote from: crazycottager on December 06, 2013, 09:45:21 PM
hi, i'm new here too 076.gif but i do agree with a few points. we don't know how the players are going to react, but i'm cautiously watching to see what happens. Mark my words, i'm a massive fan of the club, but i prefer to see the sunny side with this. But Kahn needs to smarten up, and learn lessons fast, or we will go down. Mulensteen needs to get on a winning run, or relegation will be punched in by January. so let's hope he can pull a Roy and keep us up, cause i would hate to see us drop back down after so many years of stability.
Kahn is no fool.
Relegation means massive losses.
£150 million purchase now worth a resale value of maybe £70 million on a good day.
So, I expect we will have money available for the transfer window.
I would say we need to see how the current team responds to all of the changes and only buy what makes sense and not to try and remake everything mid-year.
I feel pretty good about the team.
The Spurs effort was a new team in terms of commitment, shape and energy.
Lets see what happens with Villa on Sunday.
I'll be there and hope will be in my heart.

Victor Meldrew

I could possibly be leading myself into trouble here, but I don't think the sale of Fulham Football Club was as clear cut as many people make it out to be, and could possibly have a big impact on our future.

I saw the sale of Fulham Football Club as a last minute thing, a get out quick situation where someone came along just at the right time. Not for Fulham Football club, but for Fayed and family.

Put it this way, I think Fayed had been flirting with the idea of selling Fulham Football Club for around 4 years. You could tell things were being tarted up here and there, the plans went in for the Riverside etc, but I don't think he had any real intentions of building it. It was part of the glossy 'brochure' if you know what I mean?

Do I blame Fayed for selling up at the age of 84 and running off with the T.V money? No, he was entitled to it and by the time he had turned our debts into equity, he prob only walked away with a few bob. Bottom line is, he didn't have any other choice as his kids had no intentions of taking Fulham on.

My only issue is how rushed the sale was, and I fully believe a few porkies were told to Shahid Kahn in regards to the state of the squad, the current manager, and what level of investment was initially needed.

The guy who advised Shahid Khan to stick with the current plan should also of been following Jol down to the Job Center. Sadly, he, along with a couple of others, are still sitting in their jobs smelling of roses.      

ron

Nothing in financial deals of that size are clear cut, fully exposed nor wholly truthful. We conspiracy theorists are still hot on the trail of the conspiracy, but the hounds must have been squirted with aniseed at the moment......

But it will out....if of course there is one...

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: ron on December 06, 2013, 10:29:04 PM
Nothing in financial deals of that size are clear cut, fully exposed nor wholly truthful. We conspiracy theorists are still hot on the trail of the conspiracy, but the hounds must have been squirted with aniseed at the moment......

But it will out....if of course there is one...

You've got to admit though, the T.V money is a bit of a mystery. I'd put money on it Fayed had it away.

Nick Bateman

Nice to see a returning Fulham fan receive the welcome deserved, unlike the welcome I received which was equally as critical of events though my thread focused on the form of our Dutch goalkeeper.

When Martin Jol was reminded by a TV interviewer how brilliant Mark Scchwarzer was after a match last season, one could almost see the 'clockwork' cogs in his cranium turning, figuring a way to 'fix' something that wasn't broken.  'Lo and behold he allowed his ageism to dominate as a just reason to give away one of the best keepers in the league for NOTHING to our much disliked neighbours and employ his countryman as replacement.

But to the point again, welcome back!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 06, 2013, 10:32:03 PM
Nice to see a returning Fulham fan receive the welcome deserved, unlike the welcome I received which was equally as critical of events though my thread focused on the form of our Dutch goalkeeper.

When Martin Jol was reminded by a TV interviewer how brilliant Mark Scchwarzer was after a match last season, one could almost see the 'clockwork' cogs in his cranium turning, figuring a way to 'fix' something that wasn't broken.  'Lo and behold he allowed his ageism to dominate as a just reason to give away one of the best keepers in the league for NOTHING to our much disliked neighbours and employ his countryman as replacement.

I'd agree with you that Jol had certain favorites in the industry that he'd go out of his way to accommodate, but big Mark was sold just at the right time for me. Shame we didn't get it right with players like Riise, Hughes, Duff and possibly Brede. Looking back, I'd have bitten QPR's hand off. 

alfie

When Martin Jol was reminded by a TV interviewer how brilliant Mark Scchwarzer was after a match last season, one could almost see the 'clockwork' cogs in his cranium turning, figuring a way to 'fix' something that wasn't broken.  'Lo and behold he allowed his ageism to dominate as a just reason to give away one of the best keepers in the league for NOTHING to our much disliked neighbours and employ his countryman as replacement.

GO AWAY
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Deanothefulhamfan

Welcome to the board, and a really interesting first post. I have to agree with most of your views, but I do believe the performance against spurs can lift us slightly, it was our best performance of the season, and whilst we still lost there were plenty of encouraging signs from our first game under Rene.

17th is very much doable if we perform as a team but it is going to be a nailbiting season.

Peabody

Blimey victor, I woke up quite happy, read your post and wanted to top me self. Any way, welcome and I look forward to your futur contributions.

K33NY

When Martin Jol was reminded by a TV interviewer how brilliant Mark Scchwarzer was after a match last season, one could almost see the 'clockwork' cogs in his cranium turning, figuring a way to 'fix' something that wasn't broken.  'Lo and behold he allowed his ageism to dominate as a just reason to give away one of the best keepers in the league for NOTHING to our much disliked neighbours and employ his countryman as replacement.

your critical recieve was becaus eyou clearly state comments and oppinion that clearly shows you have no clue about football at all, and seem more like you want to create a bad atmosphere in forums, didnt really want to comment you, but as a moderator on my own website, I think its wise you keep your comments for yourself until the comments have some sort of meaning and make sense.