News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Palace stand a better chance of staying up than us...

Started by Arthur, December 07, 2013, 04:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Hearing Rene's response to a question by Sarah Brookes about the tremendous atmosphere on Wednesday night, he replied, "I cannot really describe how, how important it is." It's a statement that should worry us and gives hope to Palace fans.

After all, anyone who attends home games regularly knows that the difference in the noise generated from the stands on a night when we're up against one of the 'big six' and for a lunchtime kick-off versus mid-table opposition is like chalk and cheese.

In comparison, for Palace's win over West Ham, the Selhurst Park crowd were every bit as fervent in support of their team as were we - if not more so. Is it in part due to the backing of their fans that Palace - despite an inferior group of players to ours - find themselves on the same number of points as us?

Their supporters will doubtless continue to try to make a difference at every home game, whereas the majority of our patrons will surely revert to type and embrace the motto, 'When the team gives me something to cheer, I'll cheer'.

In light of RM's assertion, I fear that the inevitable failure to muster the same atmosphere as midweek for tomorrow's and subsequent matches will help pave the way for Palace's weaker team - yet far more vocal support - to achieve a higher points total than us.

Julius Geezer

Agree with most of that.

We don't support our team enough when the chips are down.

In Palace's case, their fans don't expect them to even stay up so every match is almost a party to them.

A bit like Blackpool a few years ago, they will get support regardless of performance.

I think our fans are different to that. We expect better than how we've been playing and our fans have found it hard to get behind the Jol reign.

Our support at West Ham was embarrassing, in contrast to our great home support on Wednesday.

I think our biggest problem is away support. It's the worst in the league. Always has been whether we've been playing well or not.

No one can moan about our bad away record over the years, because no one (apart from a small, loyal group) can be arsed to travel to games.

Not everyone can afford or has time to attend ever away game, granted.

But from a players point of view, how would you feel if no one showed up to your away games? It's hardly inspiring.

The sight and sound of away support is so important and that's something we don't really have.

So yes, I agree that if our support was better we would probably be in a better league standing.

Hopefully we can continue the good support from the other night on Sunday.

The players spark the fans and the fans spark the players.

Fulham76

If this were true, teams like Newcastle & Sunderland would never have been relegated & man Utd wouldn't have just lost their lost 2 home games. And we would have been relegated years ago if our support is as bad as you think.
Crowd support is a nice to have but really doesn't affect the outcome of games. Unless of course you take in to account the noise 75,000 make at old Trafford to influence refereeing decisions.

nose

not agreed at all

palace support is childish and mechanical, we are a grown up funny warm hearted crowd... long live the cottage!!!

terryr

Wednesday against Spurs was great support.
Tomorrow will be the same.
Kind of a provocative title don't you think....?
After Wednesday I don't believe the point of the post has any merit.
Were you there?

WhiteJC

the fans support can make a huge difference, Juve or Hamburg at the Cottage? however the "team" have to play with self-belief otherwise their lack of confidence will permeate us supporters, its a vicious circle if the players don't give 100% we notice and that effects our support for them

epsomraver

Quote from: WhiteJC on December 07, 2013, 09:06:08 PM
the fans support can make a huge difference, Juve or Hamburg at the Cottage? however the "team" have to play with self-belief otherwise their lack of confidence will permeate us supporters, its a vicious circle if the players don't give 100% we notice and that effects our support for them

Spot on John, the effort has to come from the team first, the fans will follow.

Julius Geezer

Quote from: Fulham76 on December 07, 2013, 08:43:11 PM
If this were true, teams like Newcastle & Sunderland would never have been relegated & man Utd wouldn't have just lost their lost 2 home games.
Man Utd's home support is awful. The atmosphere there has been edgy since Moyes came in.

I think with the other clubs mentioned, they were run poorly. Those clubs were doomed regardless of fan support.

Another example of this is Leeds.

The Rock

I remember seeing the DW for Wigan matches half full on many occasions, and they stayed up for years.

RaySmith

Quote from: epsomraver on December 07, 2013, 10:03:09 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on December 07, 2013, 09:06:08 PM

Spot on John, the effort has to come from the team first, the fans will follow.

You describe the reality of what happens.

But it would be better, ie get the team to play better - with more confidence, and less afraid of making an error - if the crowd got fully behind the team from the start, no matter how they are playing.

I'm sure the atmosphere at Palace has a very positive effect on the team, just at the negative atmosphere at many recent Fulham games has has a negative effect on  Fulham.

There is also the Pulis effect at Palace - and say what you want about him, he is an experienced manager in this sort of battle, and working with the level of players that Palace have..... and Fulham mostly have?

But let's hope Rene will prove to be the right man at Fulham, as he seemed to show last week.

But now is not the time for fans to be critical, but to fully get behind the team from the start. It's still all to play for, but many on here seem to have given up already.

Berserker

To be honest I've given up hope of us staying in the Prem. I'll still support the team though and won't boo, but then I'd never boo anyway. I'll be behind the lads and head coach if they give there all and try to win.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Furby

Quote from: Berserker on December 08, 2013, 08:38:23 AM
To be honest I've given up hope of us staying in the Prem. I'll still support the team though and won't boo, but then I'd never boo anyway. I'll be behind the lads and head coach if they give there all and try to win.

I'm really surprised by this Berserker, the bottom 10 is still very tight and with one win we will be in amongst the group again. Look over the last few years and the bottom three has changed numerous times in the last month of the season, let alone with 6 months left. I feel we can now beat the teams around us now Meulensteen has given us a game plan for each opposition on the day. Today will be a tough game with Villas counter attack but I'm hopeful we'll get something.

Fulham76

Has anyone got a copy of the league table at this stage last season? Can't find it anywhere.

Julius Geezer

Quote from: The Rock on December 08, 2013, 03:35:05 AM
I remember seeing the DW for Wigan matches half full on many occasions, and they stayed up for years.
Now look, they are in free fall.

With the rubbish attendances and support they get, if and when they drop to League 1 there will be no coming back.

Berserker

Quote from: Furby on December 08, 2013, 08:55:03 AM
Quote from: Berserker on December 08, 2013, 08:38:23 AM

I'm really surprised by this Berserker, the bottom 10 is still very tight and with one win we will be in amongst the group again. Look over the last few years and the bottom three has changed numerous times in the last month of the season, let alone with 6 months left. I feel we can now beat the teams around us now Meulensteen has given us a game plan for each opposition on the day. Today will be a tough game with Villas counter attack but I'm hopeful we'll get something.

Really hope your right Furby. At least if we lose today I've got Henning Wehn to cheer me up a bit afterwards. As Lighthouse said I must think of my favourite things when I'm depressed.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.