more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (08/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 08, 2013, 08:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tottenham alerted as Fulham confirm plans to sell Dimitar Berbatov in January

Rene Meulensteen says he won't stand in Dimitar Berbatov's way (Picture: Getty)
Tottenham have been given the green light to re-sign Dimitar Berbatov in January after Fulham confirmed they are willing to sell the striker.

Berbatov, who has endured a frustrating season so far at Craven Cottage, revealed this week that he is considering leaving in the new year.

Former club Spurs are known to be among those interested, and Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen says he wouldn't stand in the way of a move if an offer arrived.

'I will never stand in the way of people's ambitions,' said Meulensteen.

Berbatov is keen to move to another club (Picture: Getty)
'I had a really good chat with him recently. We spoke about him as a player and the most important thing for me is to focus on the next few games up to January.'

Meulensteen has worked with Berbatov extensively in the last few years, having helped coach him at Manchester United.

And the Dutchman says that Spurs will face real competition to sign from Fulham.

'He is an immense player, that's for sure,' he continued.

'Any manager in the world would like to have him in their team.'

Tottenham are keen on adding another forward to their ranks when the window re-opens, and have been linked with a £3million move for Berbatov, who enjoyed a successful spell at the club in the past.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/07/tottenham-alerted-as-fulham-confirm-plans-to-sell-dimitar-berbatov-in-january-4221734/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa: Lambert's counter-attacking side can make it a miserable honeymoon for Meulensteen

Fulham fans will be hoping for a prosperous era under new manager Rene Meulensteen, but as Evan Bartlett explains, the Cottagers shouldn't be expecting too much joy against an Aston Villa side perfectly set up for counter-attacking football...

Fulham v Aston Villa
Sunday December 8, KO 13:30
Live on Sky Sports 1

Match Odds: Fulham 2.8, Aston Villa 2.84, Draw 3.4

December is always a huge month for Premier League clubs and for Fulham in particular, with a new manager at the helm, their six games in the next 25 days could define the rest of their season.

While the sacking of Martin Jol didn't bring instant rewards against Tottenham on Wednesday, it did seem to breathe some new life into the west London club.

With an ageing squad sitting in the relegation zone, it's clear that Meulensteen has a big job on his hands to keep the Cottagers up this season but if they continue to play with the energy and enterprise of midweek, results should start to pick up.

The Dutchman made seven changes in his starting line-up for his first game in charge and with Scott Parker taking over club captaincy Fulham already looked a lot more dynamic than they did under Meulensteen's predecessor.

Villa, on the other hand, have shown solidity, if not ambition, all season under Paul Lambert. With 16 goals scored and 16 conceded, five wins and five losses, on the face of it, Villa are the Premier League's epitome of mediocrity.

But an impressive victory over high-flying Southampton and a five game unbeaten run make Villa serious contenders at the Cottage.

Their counter-attacking style, underpinned by roaming wing-backs and the express pace of Gabby Agbonlahor has already seen Villa pick up surprise wins against Arsenal and Man City this season.

Although form suggests that a new manager can provide immediate joy, Fulham's current run of seven losses in a row is enough to put me off a home win and instead, backing Aston Villa in the Draw No Bet market at odds of 2.02 looks a much better option.

Under/Over 2.5 Goals

These two teams have struggled for potency in front of goal this season, the form of their big name centre forwards has been particularly disappointing with Dimitar Berbatov and Christian Benteke looking well under par.

Both men have witnessed a sudden fall from grace in recent weeks, with Berbatov stripped of Fulham's captaincy and Benteke ungraciously dropped to the bench against Southampton in favour of Libor Kozak.

With that in mind, and the fact that the last four games between these sides have reaped just four goals, Under 2.5 Goals here looks a good bet at odds of 2.04.

Half Time

Both of these teams look set up for counter-attacking football, to sit deep and then to pounce.

But with both sides trying to do the same there is a threat that they may cancel each other out and that the first half will become a subdued affair.

Of the 16 league goals Villa have scored this season, 12 have come in the second half of games and for Fulham, a staggering 10 of their total of 12 have come after half-time too.

With neither team looking to over-commit early on, get on the draw at half-time at odds of around 2.18.

Recommended Bets

Back Aston Villa Draw No Bet @ 2.02
Back under 2.5 goals @ 2.04
Back the draw at half-time @ 2.18

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/premier-league-paul-lamberts-counter-attacking-villa-can-make-it-a-miserable-honeymoon-for-fulhams-m-061213-678.html?

WhiteJC

The Villa Appetiser – "Paul Lambert was in a similar situation last year," says Rene Meulensteen. Fulham vs Aston Villa Preview

Fulham vs Aston Villa

Rene Meulensteen on Villa:

"I will definitely draw on the experience of working with Sir Alex Ferguson, for sure yes.

"Fulham is going through a tough time. Everybody knows that. We have to show mental toughness. We have to keep performing week in and week out.

"Aston Villa is a good team. Paul Lambert was in a similar situation last year and he chose to put an energetic young team out. He has gone through it. We know what their threats are."

Lambert content with start:

"If you're really putting it into context what are we, three points behind Manchester United?

"I'm pretty sure if you said that to anybody at the start of the season then nobody would have believed you so.

"We're still working really hard to try to get the football club to where we want to get it. It could take a few years to do it, but at the minute the lads are giving it a great shot."

Form is Temporary

Memory match:

10th March 2012 Aston Villa 1 – 0 Fulham

A game that took place during darker times for Villa, but a special one for Andi Weimann, who scored his first ever Premier League goal in the last few minutes and effectively kept us in the division.

Fulham: Last five matches at home: W 1 L 4

Aston Villa: Last five matches away: W 2 D 3

In the last five meetings at Craven Cottage, Villa have won once, drawn twice and lost twice.

While Villa are unbeaten in five, Fulham have lost their last five matches.

One to Watch

Dimitar Berbatov – Although inconsistent, when he turns on the style the ex-Man United striker is a threat to any team.

Facts to Sweep Under the Carpet

It was great to see Villa's clinical display against Southampton and the three points were largely unexpected by many fans. What was worrying was that we had 23% possession. While counter-attacking football is based on hitting the opposition on the break, it seems a dangerous game to give away that much time on the ball. Coupled with the fact that Fulham have a "new" manager and reportedly played well in their defeat to Tottenham, a second consecutive away win may evade us.

What We Pray the Football Gods Will Provide

Has Paul Lambert been moaning at the other players for not scoring? Last season Benteke dominated in goal tallies but so far this campaign we've seen goals from Westwood, El Ahmadi and Delph to name a few. Now that some of the midfielders have found the back of the net, it would be fantastic to see more goals from unexpected sources. Also, Villa may need to entertain playing a bit more 'football' against Fulham, who will be a lot more cautious than the Saints were. Expect more possession for Villa on this trip; hopefully they'll do something with it!

Why Villa have got this game in the bag

While our form at Craven Cottage hasn't been particularly good over the last couple of seasons, Fulham currently boast the worst home record in the league, plus Villa's recent away form in 2013 is amongst the very best. We got three goals from three shots on Wednesday – imagine what we could do with even more? The fact Fulham are still missing Hangeland in the centre of defence, a consistent performer against Villa, will be a huge plus. With Kozak proving to be good competition for Benteke and Agbonlahor's goal account now open, there's a chance Villa could make this week a great one – with two wins in seven days. UTV.

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/fulham-vs-aston-vila-20013-meulensteen-appetiser/?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen to take Sir Alex Ferguson experience into management as Fulham prepare for Aston Villa clash

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen has admitted that he will use the experience he gleaned working with Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson during his time at Craven Cottage.

The Whites are in the relegation zone and parted company with Martin Jol last Sunday.

He said: "I will definitely draw on the experience of working with Sir Alex Ferguson, for sure yes.

"Fulham is going through a tough time. Everybody knows that.We have to show mental toughness. We have to keep performing week in and week out."

The Whites play host to Aston Villa tomorrow lunchtime and the Villans look much improved this season after a relegation battle the year before.

And the Dutchman is ready for the test Paul Lambert's side pose.

"Aston Villa is a good team," Meulensteen said. "Paul Lambert was in a similar situation last year and he chose to put an energetic young team out.

"He has gone through it. We know what their threats are."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/meulensteen_to_take_sir_alex_ferguson_experience_into_management_as_fulham_prepare_for_aston_villa_clash_1_3087866

WhiteJC

Berbatov can leave Fulham if he wants to, claims new boss Meulensteen

New Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen insists he will not block Dimitar Berbatov's departure if the Bulgarian striker carries out his threat to leave the club in January.

The 32-year-old striker - who has only scored a single goal this season - is claimed to be unhappy and looking 'to find another option' according to his agent Emil Dantchev.

Although Meulensteen rates the player he worked with extensively during their time together at Manchester United, the Dutchman insists he will allow him to leave Craven Cottage.

Exit strategy: Rene Meulensteen will not stand in the way of Dimitar Berbatov if he wants to leave

Still got it! The 32-year-old put in his best performance of the season against Tottenham

I will never stand in the way of people's ambitions. He is an immense player that I think any manager would want in his team - especially me,' Meulensteen told Sky Sports.

'I've worked with Dimitar for so long. I'm one of his biggest fans because I know what he can do.

'I witnessed it every day on the training pitch at Manchester United.

'I had a really good chat with him. But we spoke about him as a player and the most important thing for me is to focus on the next few games up to January, no more.'

The 32-year-old striker - who has only scored a single goal this season - is claimed to be unhappy and looking 'to find another option'

Don't go! Fulham defender Aaron Hughes (right) wants Berbatov to stay at Craven Cottage

The languid striker's teammates are less enthusiastic at the prospect of him leaving - with defender Aaron Hughes pleading with Berbatov to stay and save the club from relegation after producing his best performance of the season in the 2-1 defeat by Tottenham

'Those performances are brilliant for us,' he said. 'Not only on the ball, but his work rate and not making it easy for their midfielders. He played a big part against Spurs.

'He is a vital player for us. You have seen that in his role and the contribution to our team. We need all of our players performing at the highest levels they can.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2519789/Fulham-transfers-Dimitar-Berbatov-leave-wants-says-Rene-Meulensteen.html#ixzz2ms8Oq9Rd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Aston Villa (13:30 GMT)

Performance-wise, Fulham were very good despite losing at home to Tottenham on Wednesday.

It might sound hard to believe but Dimitar Berbatov was running around. Maybe he is playing for a January move - who knows?

The Cottagers did not really do a lot wrong against Spurs but they could not get the second goal they needed and, once Tottenham equalised, there only really looked like being one winner.

But if Fulham play like that again against Aston Villa, I can see them getting the three points. Villa are very good on their travels, as we saw against Southampton, but I do not see them winning two on the spin away from home.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Jim's prediction: "I like Fulham and I love going to Craven Cottage. But I like Villa boss Paul Lambert more and I think he is going to get a 2-1 win."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25224445?

WhiteJC

Lambert wary of Meulensteen effect

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert feels Fulham's change of head coach could hand them an advantage when the sides meet on Sunday.

Rene Meulensteen took charge of his first Fulham game on Wednesday following the dismissal of Dutch compatriot Martin Jol earlier this month.

While his maiden outing at Craven Cottage ended in a 2-1 reversal against Tottenham, there were signs of promise in the performance and Lambert believes Meulensteen's installation could hand the hosts a boost.

"It's the great old thing - everybody thinks it was the manager's fault but you can only go with that for so long," he told Villa's official website.

"The same group of players can sometimes go on a run and why couldn't they have done that three or four weeks earlier?

"That's the question I think people ask. But it seems to happen a lot throughout football - a new manager comes in with a different way of playing and you get that little kick from the reaction."

Fulham have lost their last six Premier League games while Villa have not tasted defeat in their last five top flight away fixtures.

Lambert hailed the attitude of his side after beating Southampton 3-2 at St Mary's Stadium.

"I take great enjoyment in seeing the lads do it as I see how hard they work and I know what they give us," he added.

"We try and get players that want to succeed and are hungry to succeed.

"I don't think you can have a footballer who just comes here to saunter along and pick up money and not really have that desire to go and be a successful footballer."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2013/December/07/lambert-wary-of-meulensteen-effect/?

WhiteJC

Spirit of Fergie can save us! Meulensteen draws on old boss' influence to drag Fulham out of the drop zone

Rene Meulensteen hopes to transfer Sir Alex Ferguson's thirst for a challenge into his fight to keep Fulham in the Barclays Premier League.

Meulensteen has admitted he will draw heavily on Manchester United great Ferguson's influence to drag the Cottagers away from the drop zone.

Fulham's new Dutch boss was Ferguson's chief lieutenant at Old Trafford, operating as first team coach from 2007 until David Moyes' arrival in the summer.

Learned from the best: Rene Meulensteen hopes to draw on Alex Ferguson's influence

Cottage industry: Meulensteen (left) claims Ferguson's courage for a challenge was his greatest lesson

And Meulensteen said of all the lessons his former boss imparted in those six years, the decorated Scot prized guts above all else.

Fulham host Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Sunday, looking to arrest their six-game league losing streak and record a first victory for their new manager.

Meulensteen said: 'I've been fortunate to sit alongside one of the most successful managers in Sir Alex Ferguson.

Bringing up the rear: Fulham lie in 18th place in the table after losing 10 of 14 games this season

'He taught me a lot but the one thing that stood by me, in life, in football: you're faced constantly by challenges.
'You want challenges, and sometimes they are in adversity.

'The most important thing is to accept the challenge, embrace the challenge, and enjoy taking that challenge on.
'And that is what we're prepared to do.

Double Dutch: Meulensteen replaced his countryman Martin Jol (left) at Craven Cottage

'I will definitely draw into the experiences that I've had of Sir Alex Ferguson.

'I've spent a long time working with top, top players: hard work and the good work that will go in will eventually manifest itself on the pitch.'

Meulensteen will tell his Fulham charges to be wary of Villa's own experiences of battling a rough Premier League ride.

The Fulham manager praised Villa counterpart Paul Lambert for fighting early-tenure fires through placing his faith in youth.

Kid's play: Meulensteen has praised Villa boss Paul Lambert for keeping faith in youth

Meulensteen expects another exacting test against the Villa Park outfit, but said if his side equal the commitment showed in Wednesday's 2-1 Spurs defeat they will always have a chance of victory.

He said: 'Villa is a good team.

'Paul Lambert was in a similar situation last year, he chose to really put out an energetic young team, he's gone through that and we have to deal with that.

'Every club and every manager is different, but I think we can all agree that every positive result or performance always starts with hard work, commitment and discipline, and that's what we got on Wednesday against Spurs.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2519856/Rene-Meulensteen-plans-draw-Alex-Fergusons-influence-save-Fulham-drop.html#ixzz2ms9fRuUN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa – Premier League preview

Rene Meulensteen's Fulham will aim to break a run of six successive defeats when Aston Villa visit Craven Cottage Sunday lunchtime. The incoming Dutchman has inherited a side in the middle of the club's worst Premier League run since their debut season in 2001/02.

The Whites had every right to feel hard done by on Thursday morning, with their courageous performance against London rivals Tottenham reaping no rewards.

Sunday's visitors are still on a high after becoming the first team to go to St Mary's and come home with all three points after their impressive 3-2 win over Southampton.

New Fulham boss Meulensteen will be desperate for his team to pick up points against Villa, with a trip to Everton and a visiting Manchester City making up the last of their pre-Christmas fixtures.

With the festive season fast approaching the stakes couldn't be higher. Fulham had an identical record to that of this season after 14 matches in 1967-68 and went on to finish bottom of the division.

Meanwhile, Aston Villa are unbeaten in five matches and have only lost one of their last nine Premier League away matches. A win could take them into the top half of the table.

Fulham have won just one and lost nine of their last 11 Premier League games at Craven Cottage. This season has seen the first time the Whites lose five of their opening seven Premier League home matches.

Team news

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland will be unavailable until the new year, after undergoing surgery in an attempt to clear sciatic nerve trouble. On-loan striker Darren Bent is recovering from illness, but is ineligible to face his parent club anyhow.

Aston Villa captain Ron Vlaar looks set to miss Sunday's game with a calf injury. Antonio Luna is nursing a groin problem and could also miss out.

http://blog.marathonbet.com/?p=6590

WhiteJC

Fulham vs. Aston Villa – The Preview!

Going in to the game on Wednesday, many Villa fans predicted a defeat or maybe even a draw at best despite the fact that Villa were on a four game unbeaten run and Southampton had lost their last two. After a disappointing home draw against Sunderland, fans felt that the Saints would be too strong for Paul Lambert's side and that Villa's unbeaten run would come to an abrupt end.

However, that wasn't the case and when the clock struck 10:00pm Villa fans across the globe were celebrating a monumental victory after the side from B6 had inflicted the first home defeat of the season on the south coast side. A match that had seen Villa take the lead and then immediately give it away twice looked destined to head for a draw before Fabian Delph picked the perfect moment to score his first ever Premier League goal and send both fans and players in to raptures.

That win left Paul Lambert's side tenth in the table and, amazingly, only three points behind Manchester United. Following on from this weekend's fixtures we could indeed be above the Red Devils if results go our way.

There is little consensus amongst fans at present with some delighted with the way things are going, stating that they would rather 'Win ugly than lose nicely' and some still pointing to the fact that despite the victory on Wednesday we are playing poorly and there is no real sign of improvement being made from the past few years. Whatever the opinion amongst fans is, a win on Sunday against a recently poor Fulham would certainly be a step in the right direction and a step towards Premier League safety for another season.

Fulham started the season worryingly and currently find themselves in the relegation zone on ten points after fourteen games. Their goal difference of -14 is high for this stage of the season and after winning only three games all season and losing their last six league games, Craven Cottage must seem like the ideal place for Villa to carry on their unbeaten run.

Having sacked Martin Jol and appointed former Manchester United assistant Rene Meulensteen, the London based side will now be looking to climb the table rather than slip deeper in to the mire they currently find themselves in.

Projected Team:

Dropping Christian Benteke would be a big decision to make for any manager of any team but that decision was justified as Libor Kozak, who was chosen to replace Benteke, got his head on the end of a Karim El Ahmadi cross to give Villa their second goal of the game on Wednesday. The Czech striker is expected to retain his place in the side for the match on Sunday with Benteke set to feature from the bench once more.

The big question over the rest of the team now comes in the defence with question marks over Ron Vlaar's fitness after the Dutchman was substituted at half time at St Mary's with a calf injury. Vlaar's absence from the side had an obvious impact as Villa appeared to lack defensive solidarity in the second half and both of Southampton's goals came from headers that Vlaar had been winning throughout the first half.

Customary calls for Bacuna to be pushed forward and Lowton to retain his place at right back are set to be heard again this weekend and, depending on the status of Vlaar, Lowton could indeed feature in the starting XI again.

The Opposition:

On loan Villa striker Darren Bent will be ineligible to face his parent side due to the terms of his loan agreement, although the former Villa front man has found life hard at Fulham so far and has often featured from the bench after failing to make his mark in London.

The burden for goals is likely to fall at the feet of Dimitar Berbatov again. However the Bulgarian has only scored once in the league this season the Fulham team has only managed to find the net a total of twelve times in fourteen matches.

Fulham could welcome back centre half Brede Hangeland if he manages to overcome a back injury in time and his return could be vital in guiding Fulham away from the drop zone.

Game Information:

Kick off: 1:30pm
Venue: Craven Cottage
Tickets: The away allocation is SOLD OUT!
Referee: Mike Dean
Last meeting: Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa

Predictions:

Fulham 0-2 Aston Villa – @MrOMeara
Fulham 2-1 Aston Villa – Mark Lawrenson

http://avillafan.com/site/10136/fulham-vs-aston-villa-the-preview/?

WhiteJC

Karim El Ahmadi: Fulham have been a little bit unlucky.

Aston Villa: Karim El Ahmadi believes Fulham wil be a tough nut to crack

It may look like an away banker for Aston Villa...

But there's no such thing as a "banker" in football – and Karim El Ahmadi should know, because he almost became one.

When Villa's happy travellers take on faltering Fulham at Craven Cottage the form book suggests another three points safely deposited in the account for Paul Lambert's claret and blues.

Villa have taken 12 points on the road this season, have the third-best away record, behind Arsenal and Tottenham, in the Premier League and are unbeaten in five games.

Fulham, on the other hand, are 18th in the top-flight table having lost six successive matches, including their last three at home.

El Ahmadi figures Villa can add the Cottagers to their list of victims and take away the points if they show the total resilience that earned the win at Southampton in midweek.

He watched new Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen's men's close defeat to Spurs in midweek with interest.

"It's going to be hard, I saw a little bit of their game against Tottenham and they were very good ," he said.

"To be honest the games they've lost they've been a little bit unlucky. But we don't have to look too much to them. We have to look to ourselves and go there with confidence."

El Ahmadi would have gone into banking were it not for football, studying maths before the Moroccan international midfielder kick-started his career with FC Twente and Feyenoord in Holland.

"My father always said to me I had to go every day to school," revealed El Ahmadi.

"He was never speaking to me about a football career, he was never thinking about it.

"He was always saying try your best at school. He said, football is for now, but you never know what will happen.

"With that kind of thing I enjoyed football but it wasn't until I was at the age of 17 or 18 when I saw I was very close to it that I was more focused. I got my degrees and went to school until I was 18.

"I studied banking and if I was not a footballer I would definitely have done that, because it was important to have a good job.

"I'm lucky to be a footballer now. But you never know after this what you will do."

Instead of working at a counter, El Ahmadi is now part of the claret and blues' counter-attacking currency.

Villa's victory at St Mary's in midweek showcased their sucker-punch style and El Ahmadi believes they are among the best in the business on the break.

"Of course they had much more possession than us but the tactic that we played worked well against Southampton," said El Ahmadi. "When we got out we gave the ball to Gabby Agbonlahor and they could not catch us.

"I think what we've proved is that we are maybe one of the best in the league with the counter and how we played.

"We've scored a lot of goals with that kind of play. In the second half of last season we started with that and this year it's the same I think."

El Ahmadi enjoys Villa's exciting forward raids, even though it is tough to keep up with pace aces like Gabby Agbonlahor.

"Obviously when they go we have to try to keep up with them!" he said.

" If you see them go you try to be as quick as possible. With their speed you can't always be there, but they're dangerous for every opponent.

"Gabby is one of the quickest. Some players are quick, but they are not using it very well. I think the way Gabby plays, he knows how to use his speed and he does it brilliantly.

"In games and training you can see that he is very quick with or without the ball. He is so quick, but he also scores goals by using his speed. I don't know what time he does 100m in, but it must be quick. Gabby has done well, but we are all in it together."

El Ahmadi won't have any withdrawal symptoms from banking, as long as he has team-mates he can count upon.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-karim-el-ahmadi-6383402?

WhiteJC

Cult Hero

Fulham have had more than their fair share of characters over the years, players that for one reason or another have left their mark on the Cottage faithful. Ian McCulloch reveals our most colourful cult heroes...

Paul Peschisolido arrived at Fulham in a blaze of publicity, shattering records left, right and centre. He was an instant hit with the fans and stayed that way, even when newer and even more expensive strikers started arriving on a seemingly monthly basis.

That was back in 1998. The Mohamed Al Fayed revolution was gathering momentum, the dream team of Kevin Keegan and Ray Wilkins had arrived, and the Premier League was firmly in everyone's sights. As if to demonstrate their undoubted ambition, Fulham, only recently promoted to the third tier of English football, brought in Peschisolido, a proven goalscorer, for the unheard of sum of £1.1m. That not only smashed Fulham's transfer record, it demolished the division's previous best as well.

"It was a bit scary," admits Peschisolido, christened Paolo Pasquale by his Italian parents. "And a bit daunting. But it was a great prospect, and it was a fairy tale time for the Club. I only held the record for a month, and then Cookie, Chris Coleman, came in for £2m, which was great for me. And I scored on my debut, which helps. I've been fortunate in that I've scored on every debut for every club I've been at. If I'm being very honest, I think it might have hit Simon Morgan on the way in - but there was no way I was going to let him claim it!"

Peschisolido was on fire that first season, starting every game after his arrival at the end of October, and scoring 13 times to help propel his new team into the Play-Offs - an amazing achievement considering the enormous transition the squad had gone through. Unfortunately, things were to end in disappointment. "Yeah, I ended up getting sent off in the Semi-Finals in the defeat to Grimsby Town," says Peschisolido. "The tackle looked a lot worse than it was really - I was never a dirty player. But it wasn't a good way to finish the season!"

Peschisolido deservedly won the Player of the Year award that campaign. He was by then a huge favourite, a natural goalscorer, quick, skilful and a real entertainer.

He went on to pick up the Player of the Year gong the following term as well, even though his appearances had, by that stage, become increasingly sporadic - but it was a sign of how much the Canada international was idolised that he won the award despite starting only three of the last 16 games.

"The lads did give me stick about that," laughs Peschisolido. "They used to say I'd got the man of the match after every game, even when I wasn't playing! Morgs would present me with a bottle of champagne! The problem was Barry Hayles had come in for £2m, and Kevin wanted to play him and he wanted to play Geoff Horsfield; basically he wanted to play all three of us - but with me in the hole. I wasn't comfortable playing there, I wanted to be up front."

Peschisolido turned to management after hanging up his boots. First came a short apprenticeship at St Patrick's in Ireland, and then he took over at League Two Burton Albion where he stayed for three years.

Peschisolido played more games for Fulham than for any of his other clubs, and that whole three-year spell is filled with nothing but happy memories.

"I had such a good time there," he says. "I really did. It was a very close-knit group of players, and we had a lot of fun, and a lot of success - wherever you go and have success is always a special time. The goal I remember most was obviously the one at Liverpool (a left-footed curler from outside the box into the top corner of the net). It was a fantastic occasion, a Sky game as well. The lads all said it was a cross, but a few weeks later, we played Carlisle United and I managed to score the exact same goal, so that kind of shut them up. Obviously the one in front of the Kop was a bit higher profile!

"And we had some great cup games. I remember beating Aston Villa 2-0 in an FA Cup clash, and we battered them. That was when it really dawned on us as a squad. We thought 'this is it, we really are heading in the right direction.'

"When you come up against a Premier League team, one at the top of the table, and you can beat them at their place, without any luck coming into it, and dominate them, then you can really start to believe that the squad you've got is a special one, and that special things are happening."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/07/copy-of-cult-hero?

WhiteJC

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen warned about the perils of being No 1
Now that Rene Meulensteen has gone from being No 2 to head coach at Premier League club Fulham he will have to learn fast that the buck stops with him, he has been warned

Under pressure: Rene Meulensteen needs to end Fulham's run of six straight defeats and prove he is the right man to be No 1 at Craven Cottage
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

It was only a couple of answers into his first press conference as the new Fulham head coach that Rene Meulensteen used the F-word. Ferguson, Sir Alex Ferguson, the former Manchester United manager.

"The one thing he said more than most was to accept the challenge, embrace the challenge and take the challenge on," Meulensteen said.

After 11 years working his way up the coaching staff at Manchester United – broken only by a six-month spell in charge of Danish club Brondby – Meulensteen believes that he is ready to make the step into management.

It is a path that many have trodden before but several of those told Telegraph Sport that it is not always an easy transition.
The biggest change, as stated by West Bromwich Albion head coach Steve Clarke, who has worked as an assistant at Chelsea, West Ham United, Newcastle United and Liverpool, and Southend United manager Phil Brown – closely associated with Sam Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers – is simple. "You are the guy that has to make the decisions," Clarke said. "The buck stops with you.

"When you are an assistant it is easy to go to your manager or head coach and say: 'I wouldn't do that, I would change this.'

"It is easy to do that because you don't have the responsibility for picking the final team. That is the biggest change, you have the responsibility."

Brown, who left Bolton to manage Derby County before taking Hull City into the Premier League, agreed. "You can have all the coaching badges, the management qualifications, but nothing prepares you for when you sit in that manager's chair," he said. "And the first moment when you sit in that chair is scary. I remember sitting behind that desk at Derby County and the first person I picked up the phone to was Sam Allardyce. I had one day in the chair and phoned him up and said: 'B----- hell, what is this?'

"It all came at me at a million miles an hour and you have to learn to deal with it. Now I'm nine years into it you learn to deal with the situations better.

"I still go back to what Sir Alex Ferguson said after 26 years at Manchester United: 'I'm working at getting seven out of 10 decisions right on a daily basis.' So if he is getting things wrong then we all can."

The F-word again. Naturally it is also used by Steve McClaren, who was hailed in Ferguson's recent autobiography as "natural management material" and who was encouraged by his former boss to leave United and take over at Middlesbrough.
McClaren's career has fluctuated since then and he recently worked as an assistant, once more, with Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers, before taking over at Derby.

Despite it all, he insists that Meulensteen's background can help him to make the transition.

"It can be relatively smooth when you have got the experience of coaching in the Premier League, which I had and which Rene has too," he said. "Going from a No 2 to a No 1 is about decisions, and it is about making enough right decisions to survive those first three to six months. They are the most difficult. Being No 2 at Manchester United and working alongside Sir Alex Ferguson is an enormous help because it gives you a foothold in the dressing room straight away."

Gus Poyet, now in charge at Sunderland having also been an assistant to Juande Ramos at Tottenham Hotspur and before that to Dennis Wise at Leeds United and Swindon Town, before forging his own managerial career at Brighton, agreed that the "foothold" can be beneficial.

"The biggest advantage is you are inside a football club and you can see directly the decisions of a manager and the consequences," he explains. "You see the reactions of the players. If you pay attention and you analyse what you would do in the situation then, I think, it is priceless. It is the best coaching course you could possibly be on.

"Then it depends how you take that education. Me, in the beginning I just wanted to be a coach and I was happy to be there, but as the time went past I realised I couldn't make the decisions I wanted. I have been like that all my life, so I decided I needed to be a manager."

Meulensteen, 49 (pictured), turned down the opportunity to remain at United under David Moyes – a common misconception is that he was sacked – and had a strange 16-day spell in charge of troubled Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala before joining Fulham, initially as a head coach to work alongside Martin Jol.

He has already experienced the emotional turbulence that accompanies management: in his first game, on Wednesday, Fulham went into the lead against Tottenham before crumpling to defeat late on.

On Sunday the 49-year-old will face Aston Villa knowing that he has to end a sequence of six straight defeats that has left the club in the Premier League relegation places.

It is, perhaps, telling that Fulham have not promoted him to manager and it remains to be seen whether he is Jol's long-term successor or whether owner Shahid Khan will make another change to the management structure if things do not work out.
That is another big difference with the step up. As Brown points out: "The focus is on you from every angle and none more so than from the owner."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10502756/Fulham-head-coach-Rene-Meulensteen-warned-about-the-perils-of-being-No-1.html

WhiteJC

Out of shape Darren Bent told to fix up by Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen

The Dutch coach is unimpressed with the former England man and left him out of the matchday squad in midweek

Darren Bent has been told to shape up by Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen, writes Dean Jones in the Sunday People.

The striker was left out of the squad for Meulensteen's first game in charge against Tottenham in midweek and Bent is now being put on a special programme to get him lean again.

Bent has looked overweight since joining on loan from Aston Villa in the summer and new boss Meulensteen is understood to be seriously concerned by his overall condition.

Pace is a crucial part of Bent's game and Fulham fitness coaches will try to get him back to his best as they aim to pull away from the bottom three.

Bent cannot feature against parent club Aston Villa today but could be back in Fulham's plans next Saturday at Everton – if in Meulensteen's view he has shown signs of improvement.

Bent's physical state adds to Meulensteen's forward troubles, as he faces a battle to keep Dimitar Berbatov at the club.

Berbatov's agent, Emil Dantchev, has admitted that the mercurial Bulgarian wants to leave Craven Cottage, but so far only Turkish sides Trabzonspor and Galatasaray have shown any real interest.

But Fulham winger Ashkan Dejagah does not believe Berbatov wants to quit west London.

He said: "He is happy here and the next games are important for him as well as us. I don't know what his agent has said but we don't want him to leave.

"Against Tottenham he was fighting for balls and won every header. He has a lot of talent and we need players like that."

Berbatov, 32, has scored just one league goal this term but Dejagah added: "He scored many goals for us last year and this
season is hard for everyone, and for him."

Dejagah scored Fulham's goal in the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham and has revealed how Meulensteen is altering the side.

He explained: "The next few weeks are important for the club, but the team is ready.

"This coach likes to play more one-touch and two-touch football. But now more than anything we just have to fight.

"He told us we are in a bad
situation. We have to work hard so that we are not relegated."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/out-shape-darren-bent-told-2903511#ixzz2msDEfzBO
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham need you, Dimitar Berbatov

DIMITAR Berbatov would not be the first person most would pick to have on their side in a scrap. Except Fulham, that is.

The laid-back Bulgarian, whose agent claims he doesn't want to play for them, is the one Fulham are banking on to lead their Premier League survival fight.

New coach Rene Meulensteen is backing Berbatov to battle on at Craven Cottage, insisting: "He's not going anywhere."

And team-mate Ashkan Dejagah feels the same.

The Iran-born midfielder said: "We don't want Berbatov to leave. We need him. He has a lot of talent and we need players like him.

"He did well against Tottenham last week. He fought for balls and I think he won every header.

"The team worked hard for (sacked former boss) Martin Jol but sometimes you have to change something."

Dejagah said the new coach has told the players they have to battle for everything.

"He told us we have to fight. That was the first thing he said. We have to show it," he said.

"We can't just play football. We have to fight because this is a difficult situation."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/447404/Fulham-need-you-Dimitar-Berbatov

WhiteJC

Arsenal plot Dimitar Berbatov move?

Arsenal are reportedly interested in signing Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov.

Manager Arsene Wenger is looking to add some cover to his forward ranks in the January transfer window, with only Olivier Giroud and Nicklas Bendtner as recognised out-and-out strikers at the club.

Wenger is wary of burnout affecting the Frenchman, while doubts persist over the quality of Bendtner.

According to the Daily Mail, a move for the Bulgarian is imminent as the Gunners boos looks to take advantage of his unhappiness at Craven Cottage.

Berbatov has also been linked with a move to Barcelona.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/arsenal-plot-dimitar-berbatov-move_122855.html

WhiteJC

Whites chart stormy passage

The UK didn't get swamped by the big storm and tidal surge that swept down the North Sea to put the Hamburg quayside under six feet of water. But Fulham must feel like the levee has indeed broken with nothing but bad news coming out of the Cottage in the last 48 hours.

Brede Hangeland's sciatic nerve issue has not responded to treatment and our skipper now faces six weeks out after going under the knife. This during the most intensive spell of games in the season. Now the club have told Dimitar Berbatov he's free to leave in January.

Xo bare is the striker cupboard at the club thanks to Martin Jol's short termism, new boss Rene Meulensteen has little option but to stick with the Bulgarian -- who clearly has no stomach for a relegation fight -- up front for the rest of the month. Should Berba get crocked or pick up a suspension in the coming weeks, Fulham will be down to the bare bones.

For Sunday's game with Aston Villa, Darren Bent may not appear against his parent club, Hugo Rodallega is still sidelined and there's no word on the fitness of young Moussa Dembele. Fulham chose not to host a press conference this week following the defeat to Spurs so hard news is thin on the ground.

What we do know of course is that the club have lost six in a row and won just ONE of the last eleven home games at Craven Cottage. After Saturday's results they have now slipped a further place in the standings to sit second from bottom. With upcoming games against Everton and Manchester City, there is every likelihood of the Cottagers being bottom before meeting Norwich on Boxing Day.

Can things get any worse? Well yes, should the Cottagers fail to take anything from Sunday's game. An excellent away win at Southampton in mid-week has propelled Aston Villa into the top half of the table, and their improved form has come even while the goals have dried up for Christian Benteke.

Meulensteen made no fewer than seven changes for the Spurs game on Wednesday night. I expect only a couple for this one –- but whatever the selection, the Whites will need to be mentally strong, meticulously organised and capable of scoring more than one. A draw may well be the limit of our ambition. And with such a ramshackle squad left behind by Jol's appalling management, should Dimi decide to sulk his way through the 90 minutes, it's very hard to see how Fulham might fashion a win.

Heaven knows we need one. Recent encounters with the Villains have been tight affairs, but right now every club in the league must fancy playing us. I shall be chewing my nails in the posh seats of the Riverside stand for once as I am hosting one of our star North American fans who has made the long trip all the way over from North Carolina to watch her beloved team.

It's in the hands of the players to seal a memorable trip over for someone prepared to make such a sacrifice. Your blogger has done his bit with a West End show and a Saturday night with the UK's number one Led Zeppelin tribute band. Let's pray Fulham against the odds can deliver and make it a Sunday to remember for all who follow the club.

-- Villa have only lost one of their last nine Premier League away matches (W4, D4, L1). Their record of just three away defeats in 2013 is bettered only by Manchester United (two).

-- Paul Lambert's side are on a five-match unbeaten run (W2, D3), keeping three clean sheets in the process.

-- They are the only Premier League side yet to drop any points from a winning position.

Fulham took four points off Aston Villa last season, winning 1-0 at the Cottage thanks to an 84th minute strike from Chris Baird. Can we have a repeat of that please?

COYW!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1623?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Aston Villa at Fulham and a three point prediction

This isn't going to be a long post. Or I should say I don't want this to turn into a long post because this should be an easy post.

We're at Fulham and they've just gone an appointed the wrong manager. They've got a great number two or football consultant, but not someone that is going to save Fulham. It would be like hiring Alex McLeish because Sir Alex Ferguson said it was a good idea.

I'm just playing. Nobody is that stupid.

I mean no disrespect to Fulham and there is always a chance that new manager syndrome has a part to play but had I worked at Manchester United the last couple of seasons, I could be a Premier League manager now; it's stupid owner season.

What I mean is, they think just because they worked with Sir Alex that they will be as good as him. It wont work. And here you go, a very bold prediction; René Meulensteen will be the next manager sacked.

Updates, team news and more banter like that
Right, I gotta move on as I've got a lot on this morning but I'll be back for 12.30pm with team news and and live an exclusive form 1.30pm for the match.

And this is a short post because I really do have to make a move, but I'm a child of the 70's and I'm mobile baby.

http://www.thevillablog.co.uk/aston-villa-blog/avfc-live/aston-villa-at-fulham-and-a-three-point-prediction/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AVFCBlog+%28Aston+Villa+Blog%29

WhiteJC

Will The Fulham Game Be Perceived As Easier Or Harder In The Post-Jol Era?

In Rene Meulensteen's first game in charge, Fulham could have considered themselves unlucky to have succumbed to defeat against London rivals Tottenham.

Scott Parker totally bossed the midfield against Spurs, winning an incredibly impressive 88% of his challenges. Parker is an industry best 23/2 with 888sport.com to score at any time on Sunday.

Fresh from claims from his agent that Berbatov is looking to leave Fulham, the Bulgarian produced one of his most impressive displays in recent weeks, showcasing his undoubted skill and talent. The Bulgarian hit the target with an impressive 75% of his shots on Wednesday, and made a total of 21 attacking contributions (based on passes in the opposition half, dribbles, crosses and shots on target). This was the second most in the Fulham squad.

It is fairly surprising that Darren Bent has only scored twice for Fulham this term, as he has showcased his impressive shooting ability. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index highlights that he has hit the target with a solid 63% of his shots this term.

Paul Lambert hailed his team's away victory at Southampton as 'massive', and it was an important victory that moved them into a perfectly respectable 10th place in the table.

Fabian Delph scored an outstanding winner last night which summed up his overall performance. In addition to his goal, the former Leeds man also won all four of his challenges, and registered an assist.

Paul Lambert brought Libor Kozak into the Aston Villa starting lineup, at the expense of Christian Benteke on Wednesday and the Czech rewarded his manager with a goal. It is interesting to compare the form of the two strikers so far this term, as despite hitting incredible highs last year, Benteke hasn't been able to replicate that form this year. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index demonstrates the Belgian's woes, as he has only hit the target with 50% of his efforts this term. In comparison, Kozak has hit the target with 71%. Kozak is 11/5 to score at anytime with 888sport.com

Gabby Agbonlahor scored a classic counter-attacking goal on Wednesday, which surprisingly was his first goal in the league this season. He has, however, been contributing in other areas as he has registered 4 assists – more than any other Villa player.

It was a shame for Jores Okore that he suffered a season-ending injury just a few weeks into the campaign, as he had certainly been making a positive contribution. Interestingly, he still has the best tackle win percentage in the Villa squad, as he has been successful in 83% of his challenges this term.

http://www.astonvillalife.com/aston-villa-blog/will-the-fulham-game-be-perceived-as-easier-or-harder-in-the-post-jol-era/?