more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hughes

Started by nose, December 09, 2013, 12:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

He remains something of an unsung hero.
I think in the last two games he has been outstanding.
I think his partnership with sendeross hasn't always looked perect but the two of them seem to have clicked in the last two games. We all now sendeross can be prone to a howler, and I am sure that will remain with him forever, but I have taken to him too because of his passion and his never say die approach.
But Hughes goes about his business in a thoroughly professional manner and when he retires he will be a tough act to replace.

Over the last two games he has been my stand out player in a team where they have all been brilliant for two games!

PokerMatt

Quote from: nose on December 09, 2013, 12:52:53 PM
He remains something of an unsung hero.
I think in the last two games he has been outstanding.
I think his partnership with sendeross hasn't always looked perect but the two of them seem to have clicked in the last two games. We all now sendeross can be prone to a howler, and I am sure that will remain with him forever, but I have taken to him too because of his passion and his never say die approach.
But Hughes goes about his business in a thoroughly professional manner and when he retires he will be a tough act to replace.

Over the last two games he has been my stand out player in a team where they have all been brilliant for two games!

You know, we were really solid with H&H and looked much more so with H&S in the last two games. I don't think it's a coincidence that Hughes is a part of both those partnerships.

He does seem the ideal foil for a bigger centre-back and has done ever since Roy put him and Hangeland together.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

MikeW

I see Scott P and John Arne Rise are in Garth Crooks team of the week.  Which is nice.  Shame it was selected by such a tool.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Victor Meldrew

As much as I like Hughes, and admire the unsung hero he is, his best days are unfortunately behind him. I witnessed him get absolutely destroyed at home V Liverpool by Sturridge. He is, or should be one of the older players we look to replace this January/summer. Gets turned far to easily these days.   

Rudolph

He could have conceded a penalty yesterday, the same as Senderos against Stoke, but the difference being most on here were outraged that the decision didn't go Stoke's way.

I am NOT going to trash Hughes, the lad is top draw and we are lucky to have such a professional on our books.  We are also lucky to have a committed professional in Senderos and I only hope that this enforced lay-off for Brede gives him a chance to play alongside Hughes and not be seen to the support as competition. 

FFC1987

Quote from: Rudolph on December 09, 2013, 03:10:03 PM
He could have conceded a penalty yesterday, the same as Senderos against Stoke, but the difference being most on here were outraged that the decision didn't go Stoke's way.

I am NOT going to trash Hughes, the lad is top draw and we are lucky to have such a professional on our books.  We are also lucky to have a committed professional in Senderos and I only hope that this enforced lay-off for Brede gives him a chance to play alongside Hughes and not be seen to the support as competition. 

Loving the fact that the age old debate of Hughes VS Senderos is disappearing because they have playing really well as a partnership! Who saw that coming hey! Like I said in another thread though, I think last year they had a few games together which we got clean sheets from too!

dgnffc

Interesting that it was much debated on here about how difficult it is to swap sides for a central defender. I didn't go to the game but from the highlights it looked like Hughes was having no problems in doing this (as I think it was him playing on his 'wrong' side?)

Craven Mad

Quote from: dgnffc on December 09, 2013, 03:32:00 PM
Interesting that it was much debated on here about how difficult it is to swap sides for a central defender. I didn't go to the game but from the highlights it looked like Hughes was having no problems in doing this (as I think it was him playing on his 'wrong' side?)

Fair point.

Hughes has been a consummate professional for years.

In a far lesser way, you could compare him to Paul Scholes; a player who doesn't crave the limelight, doesn't fit into the stereotype of modern footballers, and just gets his head down and plays. I have an enormous amount of respect for our "silver-lining" from the Sanchez days..

nose

Quote from: dgnffc on December 09, 2013, 03:32:00 PM

I don't really hold with centre backs not being able to swap sides. I think they work as a team and support each other, it is more a case of who challenges for the ball first and who covers. It is central defence so left sided or right sided is less of an issue, if an issue at all.... I think that was more of Jol talking rubbish to justify his second rate descision making.

nose

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 09, 2013, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: Rudolph on December 09, 2013, 03:10:03 PM

Loving the fact that the age old debate of Hughes VS Senderos is disappearing because they have playing really well as a partnership! Who saw that coming hey! Like I said in another thread though, I think last year they had a few games together which we got clean sheets from too!

I think you are right to bring up whether the partnership would work.  IMO they look goord together now, I can't easilly recall the last time they played together but generally sendeross is doing much better and the new manager has clearly breathed life into everyone, so as del boy used to say 'everyone's a winner.'