watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Opinions on a cheating scenario

Started by mikeyffc28, December 09, 2013, 03:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyffc28

Scenario:  Final day of the season and a win is needed to stay up....would you take Fulham scoring a goal by a blatant dive to get a penalty if it meant we stayed up?
Hopefully it won't come down to that (mathematically safe with 10 games to go would be nice!  :58:), but just interested if people would put prem status ahead of the clubs good name.

FFC1987

I'd be very surprised if anyone said otherwise. The way I see it, the dive didn't solely keep us up as there is 40pts+ required and im sure we earned the other points fairly. Most/all teams get some kind of rub of the green whether its an incorrect refereeing decision or an exaggerated foul. Regardless one dive for 3 points is not looking at the season as a whole.

Rhys Lightning 63

Considering that Forlan was offside in the final in 2010, and the saying 'these things balance out'. Being given a penalty to stay up I think equals that travesty out
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

mikeyffc28

I was thinking about a situation in cup competition - Suarez and his handball for Uruguay v Ghana to stop the ball going in, resulted in a penalty, penalty missed and then Uruguay ended up going through.  Even though it was the action of one person, it tainted my view of that team and their achievements - controversy like that is not something I personally would want Fulham to be a part of and would take relegation over a cheated victory.

FFC1987

Quote from: mikeyffc28 on December 09, 2013, 03:51:30 PM
I was thinking about a situation in cup competition - Suarez and his handball for Uruguay v Ghana to stop the ball going in, resulted in a penalty, penalty missed and then Uruguay ended up going through.  Even though it was the action of one person, it tainted my view of that team and their achievements - controversy like that is not something I personally would want Fulham to be a part of and would take relegation over a cheated victory.

So you'd rather us be relegated then have a dive go for us? Can't relate to that logic but fair enough. Each to their own.

nose

i hate questions like this... ethics? what is the greater good, and during that last game did we have a couple of bad descisions against us, did the other team dive and cheat and so on and so forth.
I know everything in the garden isn't rosy but I want to survive, sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but I also want us to be whiter than white.... as I said I hate questions like this because there is no correct answer.

Craven Mad

The end justifies the means...

Our team, in it's current form, is not suited to the Championship; we would not come back quickly. There is too much to lose, and every team does it already. That does not make diving right, instead necessary.

With regards to the club's reputation, I see the stamp by Reither as far worse than a cheeky dive in the box - particularly if the team we dived against were not doomed to relegation by our actions - most opposition fans would understand (as I would for another team, if we were safe).

mikeyffc28

Definitely.  It would be one thing if it was a soft pen that could go either way but if replays showed for instance that one of our players dived without any contact being made I would wholeheartedly hope that the resulting pen was missed for the sake of sportsmanship.  I can remember seeing a clip a while ago of a pen being played wide of the goal out of sportsmanship (can't remember the exact situation) but there seems to be more and more cheating creeping into the game and I would rather be associated with a fair club in the Championship.

gerrys

I guess that we all know that the last match of the season is at home to Palace..........................

The Bronsons

I wouldn't like it, but I'd take it.

And suppose I really couldn't take it? What could I do about it? Zilch.

mccscratch

Quote from: mikeyffc28 on December 09, 2013, 03:51:30 PM

I hate Suarez but he did what he had to do for his team... I found no fault in it. He got suspended for the straight red as he should have... Ghana should have converted the penalty...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise