more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our summer signings

Started by JackyFulham90, December 09, 2013, 04:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on December 10, 2013, 05:51:01 AM
I used to stop by a Roma forum occasionally and they were ecstatic when they signed Stek.  However when Zeman became coach he wanted Stek to be almost like a CB capable of quick distribution which he wasn't particularly adept at.   

Blimey....I'm a late convert to this goalkeeper distribution business, but even I can see that Stek is a distinct upgrade in this department on anything else we have had before.
Aside from that he has recently shown himself to be an absolutely top class keeper...which, of course, will come as no suprise in the Netherlands.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Holders on December 09, 2013, 08:17:45 PM
I was thinking just yesterday that we won the game against Villa with just one outfield player (Parker) who hadn't been in the squad last year.

In other words we're playing with effectively last year's team and the summer window was pretty much a waste of time in terms of improvement apart from giving us a stronger-looking set of subs.

Lost opportunity, bad judgement or what?

I think we have good depth after the summer signings.  A much stronger squad now.
So I dont think it was a waste of time in the summer.

Stekelenberg is a fantastic keeper. I love the way he always fields the ball to the sides of the goal rather than pushing it straight out (as Loris does for Spuds - althuogh he's a great stopper).
An admiral replacement for Swartz, who I believe we had excellent years from.

IMO it could be that Yol alienated a lot of our existing squad to the point that he had to bring in players to play.
But now he's gone, these alienated players all want to play again, (Riise in particular, but poss also Berba).

Just a thought....

COYW!

049:gif
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Big Martin Jol

As has been said above, Jol obviously had to consider budgetary constraints when he set out his 'most wanted' list - otherwise he would have gone in for Ozil.

In that sense it's not really the players he wanted, just the ones he thought were worth hoisting out of the bargain bin put on his desk.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

I thought the players Jol wanted were Oswaldo and Chantome. Those two would have cost 20 million. Instead we got Bent and Parker for 2 million.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Max Headroom on December 09, 2013, 10:53:17 PM
No Jol said he got all the players he wanted

He also said there was a great spirit around the training ground.

Among other things, his job was to put a good public foot forward. That doesn't always necessitate telling the truth.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Vermeer

Stekelenburg was crucial at Ajax for years and has earned 50~odd Dutch caps in World Cups and Euro because he's top quality. When he first came there were four or five guys on here more or less asking; " er..is he any good...who is he..?".  I thought Christ almighty, do you lads not watch international tournaments or what??

Twig

Quote from: Vermeer on December 11, 2013, 02:42:19 AM
Stekelenburg was crucial at Ajax for years and has earned 50~odd Dutch caps in World Cups and Euro because he's top quality. When he first came there were four or five guys on here more or less asking; " er..is he any good...who is he..?".  I thought Christ almighty, do you lads not watch international tournaments or what??

I agree and what is more, as good as Shwarzer was, in my opinion he was not our previous best ever; in my opinion that honour goes to either Tony Macedo or Edwin vd S.

Julius Geezer

Stekelenburg and Parker have been good first team buys.

The others are simply to add depth to the squad.

I don't know what some people expect from Stekelenburg.

He's had a leaky, unorganised defence in front of him this season and he picked up quite a serious injury that disrupted his start.

He's a top keeper, make no mistake.