watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our summer signings

Started by JackyFulham90, December 09, 2013, 04:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

I was delighted with our summer signings, I was happy we  signed players with the calibre of Stekelenburg, Parker & Bent.
Stekelenburg & Parker have been brilliant signings
Bent has popped up with a few goals but has been disappointing.
Amorebieta & Taarabt have not had much of an impact so far.
Zverotic looks decent but the return of Karagounis & Dejagah have sparked our season in to life.

Northern Cottager

Holders

I was thinking just yesterday that we won the game against Villa with just one outfield player (Parker) who hadn't been in the squad last year.

In other words we're playing with effectively last year's team and the summer window was pretty much a waste of time in terms of improvement apart from giving us a stronger-looking set of subs.

Lost opportunity, bad judgement or what?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Holders on December 09, 2013, 08:17:45 PM
I was thinking just yesterday that we won the game against Villa with just one outfield player (Parker) who hadn't been in the squad last year.

In other words we're playing with effectively last year's team and the summer window was pretty much a waste of time in terms of improvement apart from giving us a stronger-looking set of subs.

To be fair to Jol he had a shoestring budget to work with.

Max Headroom

No Jol said he got all the players he wanted

filham

I was thinking exactly the same. Stek is good in goal but even there we would have been better off if Schwarzer had stayed. I think we will have to dip into the transfer market again in January to see if we can better some of those summer signings.

JDH101

Quote from: filham on December 09, 2013, 11:02:47 PM

I was thinking exactly the same. Stek is good in goal but even there we would have been better off if Schwarzer had stayed. I think we will have to dip into the transfer market again in January to see if we can better some of those summer signings.

Disagree about Stek Vs Schwarzer. Schwarzer is old as was at fault for a few of our goals last year. The time had come to replace him and Stek is fantastic. Great technique and amazing distribution. He's top notch.

callumc513

Stekelenburg is probably the best keeper we've had since VdS.

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: callumc513 on December 10, 2013, 12:52:34 AM

Don't know about that.  Schwarzer had some good years.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

HatterDon

Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on December 10, 2013, 03:04:32 AM

Somebody on here said Stek was the best we'd EVER had and that was before he'd played 180 minutes of league football. Compared to that, this is pretty conservative.

One thing I will say is that Stek is an upgrade over the Schwarzer we had his last two seasons.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: HatterDon on December 10, 2013, 03:55:04 AM
Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on December 10, 2013, 03:04:32 AM

Somebody on here said Stek was the best we'd EVER had and that was before he'd played 180 minutes of league football. Compared to that, this is pretty conservative.

One thing I will say is that Stek is an upgrade over the Schwarzer we had his last two seasons.

Very true, but Schwarzer was almost a senior citizen by then.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Holders

I think that Stek will be great so long as there's no repetition of his early injury. Schwarzer was a great servant but was beginning to make errors and we needed to upgrade. Zverotic is useful cover but essentially a Baird replacement and little different from what I've seen so far. I don't think Jol bought Amo just for him to sit on the bench so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. We're really thin at CB with Hangers out. Taarabt and Bent have yet to make an impression and Rene doesn't seem to favour them.  

All this in the context of Jol got all that he wanted. I shall be very interested to see what Rene does in January assuming he's been given the authority and funds.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Deanothefulhamfan

Schwarzer finished off the season pretty well imo, he did have a rocky patch but came on strong again towards the end of the season.  He done so much and put in so many MOTM performances, that it is laughable people are saying Stek is better than him.

Steklenberg is a good signing, but he has a lot of work to do before we consider him fantastic. I would have dropped him for the spurs game as he looked pretty poor in all honesty, The last two games have seen a massive improvement, but the defence has been organised which helps.

As for our summer signings we got 1 Fantastic player, and our bench has more quality

Ichabod Magoo

I used to stop by a Roma forum occasionally and they were ecstatic when they signed Stek.  However when Zeman became coach he wanted Stek to be almost like a CB capable of quick distribution which he wasn't particularly adept at.  That's when he fell out of favour and remained out of favour when the new coach came in.  Personally I think he has quality but may make a bone head play every once in awhile.

TheManOnTheBus

Jol saying he got all the players that he wanted might have been towing the party line: who know's what the arguments were behind the scene.

RaySmith

I think Bent and Taraabt will feature and come good under Rene.

JackyFulham90

Quote from: RaySmith on December 10, 2013, 10:06:11 AM
I think Bent and Taraabt will feature and come good under Rene.

I really like Taarabt I think if Rene can drill it in him that he has to track back & work hard he could be a top player for us, Bent has goals in him for sure, him & Berbatov just hasn't worked so far, I think it's a shame Boateng isn't playing he could be a really good player for us 

alfie

Quote from: Max Headroom on December 09, 2013, 10:53:17 PM
Not so sure they are the real players he wanted, i reckon he was told to go and get the players you can for nothing.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MJG

Quote from: alfie on December 10, 2013, 11:52:14 AM
Quote from: Max Headroom on December 09, 2013, 10:53:17 PM
Not so sure they are the real players he wanted, i reckon he was told to go and get the players you can for nothing.

A £5M goalkeeper and 3.5M 33 year old CM did not cost nothing.
One of the best goalscorers in the Prem Lge on a £2M season long loan is not free. A CM who he chased for 5 windows and finally signed with no fee required. He bought the RB, a Chris Baird replacement and a international CB on a free..when we know free's do not mean that.

EJL

As good as Parker has been for us and how well he will probably continue to play, he wasn't the sort of player the club should've pursued in the summer. I wouldn't change anything about Parker's signing -- he's a shoo-in for Player of the Season -- but if Jol was told by the board "Here's £3.5 million: go and buy that midfielder you've been wanting", then he can only blame himself for the imbalance in midfield that followed.