watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Football Manager

Started by K33NY, December 09, 2013, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K33NY

Tried finding a thread about it but no luck so thought maybe it could be made one? If its not suitable I understand if it will be deleted :)

Just wanted to ask if anyone here plays the games? Bought FM14 the other day (I ususally buy them every second year) and realised FM14 has become a difficult game, not only because of the wages/transfer budgets you get with Fulham in the first season, but RM isnt even updated to be in the Fulham staff, and when searching for him I cant even find him, bit strange. Allso, the training and match preparation system has become strange...
Went off to Tactics screen and realised one strange thing, example Riise FB (L) WB(L), when you put him on the FB position and assign him the role WB he has 3 stars or so, BUT when you put him on a WB position it drops to 2 stars.

Same with Duff, put him on LM, and assign him role as Winger, he has 4 stars, put him on the Winger position with same role, it drops to 2 stars, find this VERY strange!

Then I decided to go for a 4-3-3 style like we played Villa, same players except I had Hangeland but when I put on Kaca for left winger next to Berba, during the match my Assistant said Kaca wasnt playing well cus he was in a "unknown" role or something.... dropped him on lever down (where OM are lined) still on left side, still Winger role, now he was playing much better, EVEN though he had same star level....... wtf is that kind of a simulation? I find FM14 really a strange game and harder to work around than previous ones...

So if anyone here plays it and maybe have some tips please come with them! :P

Craven Mad

Avid player.

The change in stars is in recognition of the player's strengths. Duff will be better as a winger in LM than AML as he is better work rate, passing etc. I'd only use the stars as a guide though - I have players on the bench with 4 stars, in favour of a 2 star player who is right for the role.

I'd recommend, with fulham, 4 at the back, 1 DM, 2 CM, 2 Wingers, and a DLF. Played in Attacking with rigid structure. Then set the instructions to Hassle opponents and more direct passing. I came 12th in my first season, after signing Honda (a free at xmas) and Diamé for £3.5 mil (release fee), Holtby for £3.7m (who sold for £24mil 2 seasons later) and (MUST BUY) Julian Brandt for £205k. Play Plumain and Hugo as impact subs. The first season is all about consistency and keeping strong - it's far easier to build quickly after the start..

Can't find Rene in the game either, but I did start before any possible updates..

elgreenio

Quote from: K33NY on December 09, 2013, 04:36:57 PM
Tried finding a thread about it but no luck so thought maybe it could be made one? If its not suitable I understand if it will be deleted :)

Just wanted to ask if anyone here plays the games? Bought FM14 the other day (I ususally buy them every second year) and realised FM14 has become a difficult game, not only because of the wages/transfer budgets you get with Fulham in the first season, but RM isnt even updated to be in the Fulham staff, and when searching for him I cant even find him, bit strange. Allso, the training and match preparation system has become strange...
Went off to Tactics screen and realised one strange thing, example Riise FB (L) WB(L), when you put him on the FB position and assign him the role WB he has 3 stars or so, BUT when you put him on a WB position it drops to 2 stars.

Same with Duff, put him on LM, and assign him role as Winger, he has 4 stars, put him on the Winger position with same role, it drops to 2 stars, find this VERY strange!

Then I decided to go for a 4-3-3 style like we played Villa, same players except I had Hangeland but when I put on Kaca for left winger next to Berba, during the match my Assistant said Kaca wasnt playing well cus he was in a "unknown" role or something.... dropped him on lever down (where OM are lined) still on left side, still Winger role, now he was playing much better, EVEN though he had same star level....... wtf is that kind of a simulation? I find FM14 really a strange game and harder to work around than previous ones...

Meulensteen will get updated in January. Not sure what he was at when the data was extracted so you may need to load a large database with some customisation.

The star rating system should really be ignored, though i'd agree with them given the position you were playing Riise (not sure if you mean Kaca was playing Left Forward and dropped to AML?)

I found you could sell a few players (Kaca, Sidwell and Riise were my main two, Senderos and Stockdale possibilities) and pick up some bargains (Erazo etc) in the first season then push on from there.
touch my camera through the fence

K33NY

Thanks for the tips, will try them out, I meant Kaca as a Winger all at the top next to Berbatov, when playing him there, my assistant said he was in a unknows role or uncomfortable in that role, even the tactic screen says 4 stars on him as winger, I droped him one level down, same level as OM are placed and he suddenly played well, even though both positions had 4 stars for him.

Dunno how you got money for all those transfers :O when I try selling players, I get small bids, 250k for Riise 1 mill for Hangeland etc...

Craven Mad

Quote from: K33NY on December 09, 2013, 05:43:18 PM
Thanks for the tips, will try them out, I meant Kaca as a Winger all at the top next to Berbatov, when playing him there, my assistant said he was in a unknows role or uncomfortable in that role, even the tactic screen says 4 stars on him as winger, I droped him one level down, same level as OM are placed and he suddenly played well, even though both positions had 4 stars for him.

Dunno how you got money for all those transfers :O when I try selling players, I get small bids, 250k for Riise 1 mill for Hangeland etc...

Duff for £140k to Sunderland
Boateng for £2.1m to Sevilla
Hugo for £3.8m to AS Saint-Etienne (xmas)

Bought Diame & Brandt at the start. Then Honda and Holtby at xmas. Also abused the "future installments" option, over 48months. Worked though. Few seasons on and I'm second in the League.

K33NY

Who do you play as DM when you sold Boateng? Parker is ok but not the best when I play him there :S

Craven Mad

Quote from: K33NY on December 09, 2013, 06:35:08 PM
Who do you play as DM when you sold Boateng? Parker is ok but not the best when I play him there :S

Parker at BWM or Diame as DLP. The squad was paper-thin, but I couldn't turn down £2.1m for Boateng.. Diame was a BIG trade up as well, and is useful for many years.

When I had injuries, I moved the formation to remove a DM and add an CAM. Ruiz was my usual AMR but moved central when needed, and Ashkan or Plumain would sit in replacement..

K33NY

kk :) I troed to seel Boateng and Hugo now, even went down to 2.4 for Hugo, with average rating 7.3 noone wanted to buy him... or Boateng for that matter.

Inn before transfer window:
Ridgewell, playing really solid compared to Riise
Hibbert, Allso much better than Riether, actually I cant get Riether to play well at all....

And thats all I could manage :S loads of players out on loan, but not sold one...

Craven Mad

Quote from: K33NY on December 09, 2013, 06:43:50 PM
kk :) I troed to seel Boateng and Hugo now, even went down to 2.4 for Hugo, with average rating 7.3 noone wanted to buy him... or Boateng for that matter.

Hibbert, Allso much better than Riether, actually I cant get Riether to play well at all....

And thats all I could manage :S loads of players out on loan, but not sold one...

That's annoying.. Try signing Honda on a pre contract at xmas - at least he's free. And no excuses for not pursuing Brandt - was eventually my best player. I found reither crap for the first 18 months, then suddenly he got good.. Needs motivating though.

For your second season, I'd recommend trying to get Jefferson (Brazillian GK) on a free too. I shifted Stekers for £5m to Lyon, and got a better keeper for free.. Great bit of business, that allowed further investment..

K33NY

Quote from: Craven Mad on December 09, 2013, 06:51:36 PM

That's annoying.. Try signing Honda on a pre contract at xmas - at least he's free. And no excuses for not pursuing Brandt - was eventually my best player. I found reither crap for the first 18 months, then suddenly he got good.. Needs motivating though.

For your second season, I'd recommend trying to get Jefferson (Brazillian GK) on a free too. I shifted Stekers for £5m to Lyon, and got a better keeper for free.. Great bit of business, that allowed further investment..

yeah I was quite annoyed, tried for fun to bid on Brandt even with no money, but jst to see, got to 2.2 mill and they said no, then 2.8 still no.......

If theres one thing I HATE with FM though, its the Coaches points system, I allways try to google, good coaches, but answers ar mainly for, well.... huge teams.... pft, except Meulensteen who should be available for a club like Fulham and who is free, but I cant find him... or Bergkamp, even WITH holland as playable nation lol

Beat Hull last match 6-0 though, with Berbatov 2 goals, Duff 1. Kara 1. Sidwell 1. Ridgewell 1

Berbatov total matches 4 and has scored 7 :P

btings

Played 2012 quite a bit, and playing 2013 at the moment, though I never play as Fulham.  Though oddly enough in my curent game (playing as Fleetwood Town), in the 2013-2014 season Fulham was second in the league, Mladen Petric had 29 goals, and Jol was manager of the month multiple times.

K33NY

virtual Jol can think alot better than real lif Jol I guess, gotta sew Sega for claiming FM to be the most realistic Manager game ;)

Craven Mad

Quote from: K33NY on December 09, 2013, 07:01:17 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on December 09, 2013, 06:51:36 PM

yeah I was quite annoyed, tried for fun to bid on Brandt even with no money, but jst to see, got to 2.2 mill and they said no, then 2.8 still no.......

If theres one thing I HATE with FM though, its the Coaches points system, I allways try to google, good coaches, but answers ar mainly for, well.... huge teams.... pft, except Meulensteen who should be available for a club like Fulham and who is free, but I cant find him... or Bergkamp, even WITH holland as playable nation lol

Beat Hull last match 6-0 though, with Berbatov 2 goals, Duff 1. Kara 1. Sidwell 1. Ridgewell 1

Berbatov total matches 4 and has scored 7 :P

Congrats - great result, and look like you're getting the best outa berbs. Always nice to get a big win.

Try manual searching for coaches with good stats in motivating and relevant training category. I'd recommend David Platt, Stephen Pears, Dave Billows. Elgreenio probably knows best about FM though.

btings

The conventional wisdom seems to be that Determination, Motivation, and Level of Discipline together comprise roughly half of the rating for any coaching category.  One or two (depending on what category) of the technical stats comprise the other half.  The weighting varies.  You can find sites that have formulas on them -- these worked very accurately in FM 2012, but in 2013 it seems like they've tweaked things slightly, so the formulas are often off  by half a star.  I ended up converting the tables into a google spreadsheet that would give me at least some idea what I was hiring, and it's worked ok.

Craven Mad

Quote from: btings on December 09, 2013, 07:37:36 PM
The conventional wisdom seems to be that Determination, Motivation, and Level of Discipline together comprise roughly half of the rating for any coaching category.  One or two (depending on what category) of the technical stats comprise the other half.  The weighting varies.  You can find sites that have formulas on them -- these worked very accurately in FM 2012, but in 2013 it seems like they've tweaked things slightly, so the formulas are often off  by half a star.  I ended up converting the tables into a google spreadsheet that would give me at least some idea what I was hiring, and it's worked ok.

Great advice. Off to find me some new coaches!

Pluto

Obsessive here. Finished 8th in my first season playing mostly flat 4-4-2 and currently 4th in second season (January) playing 4-4-2 and 4-1(DM)-2-2-1.

First season I sold a lot of players (Sidwell, Hughes, Senderos, Stockdale, Rodallega, Duff, Mesca....) and abused the 48 months thing to bring in Fierro and Balanta. Plus Zuculini (bargain!) and Diop (LOL) on a free, and Salvio on loan from Benfica.

Second season I sold Kaca for 9 million (LOL again) and used the money to buy Holtby, Capoue and Chadli all for bargain fees from Spuds. Also got Gareth Barry, Landry N'Guemo and Tagliafico all on a free, who have proved very useful signings.

Pluto

Oh I forgot to mention- the good thing about starting with us and having such an old squad is that you get a TON of great tutors. make good use of that and loads of the youngsters will be ready to play a part in your squad by the second season.

I already have Kasami, Plumain and Grimmer in the first XI with Dembele, Roberts, Hyndman, Woodrow, Baba and Donnelly as capable backup.

BigNigeBowds

Sumhow managed in my first season managing fulham to finish 3rd

Sold - Kasami (reluctantly), Hugo, Senderos

Bought - Morata, Steeeeeeeed
'Hamburg host the final, Fulham play in it'

@SamBowdenFFC

K33NY

So with your tips in mind, but with no DM in I still went for this:

4-1-2-2(W)-1

Usually Ridgewell, Hangeland and Senderos.
Senderos is REALLY a machine for me in FM14, and scored 2 goals, then Dejagah, OMFG! 6 starting matches 5 goals!
Kara, 7/1, 7.4 average rating, an insane ball feeder for me!
Duff, 7/1 7.2 Average rating, great crosser and with runs in break throughs!
Berbatov injured :( but with 4/7 average rating is 7.70
Bent, 5/4 Average rating 7.40

Nr 2 in the league with 4 wins, 1 draw 2 losses, need to fix defence a little cus I cant keep a clean sheet so far except 1 match.

Fulham 4 - Palace 1
Hull 0 - Fulham 3
Fulham 0 - Arsenal 0
Fulham 3 - Sunderland 1
Fulham 3 - Swansea 1

But I want berba back from injury though...

and allso player goals is counted in Cup matces here not just PL :P