News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This window where should we invest the most heavily?

Started by Baggins, December 09, 2013, 07:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where should we be investing the most in January?

Defence
14 (16.3%)
Midfield
29 (33.7%)
Up front
12 (14%)
All the above
31 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: December 23, 2013, 07:50:39 PM

Bassey the warrior

Up front and left back should be the priority. I have no faith in Bent and Rodallwga is unlikely to be a 10 goal striker. We shouldn't expect Dembele to be either. Some games Berba will be ineffective due to lack of pace so we'll need an alternative with more pace. Also left back as Riise's lack of pace will be badly exposed in some games. For other positions I'm waiting to see how people do. Anderson could be a shrewd buy and another winger though. Possibly a quicker centre back.

JackyFulham90

Goalkeeper wise we are fine
Right back we are okay
Centre back is a problem I think we need one
Left Back I think we need a left back unless Briggs is going to get a run when he is back fit
Wingers we need cover for Ash & Kaca we need someone with pace
Centre midfield we could do with a creative one although I still feel Kasami can be that player
With Berbatov, Bent, Rodallega & Dembele we are fine for strikers

I feel we need a centre half & left back as priority
Possibly a wide player & central midfielder if our funds let us

BishopsParkFantastic

Central Midfield - Anderson from Utd would do, on loan
Wide player - buy Dinamo Moscow winger Balazs Dzsudzsak
Left back - buy Buttner from Utd

Jims Dentist

Don't think Zaha on loan would do us any favours. He always seems to want too long on the ball to do his tricks.

Couldn't see him adapting to the style of play we saw against Spurs and Villa.

We already have too many luxury players in the squad.

Ichabod Magoo

According to comments from some ManU fans, Anderson is overweight and out of shape so forget him.  Luuk de Jong of Gladbach is for sale.  Was a premier goal scorer for Twente, but may be too soft for England.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

grandad

Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis is considering a January move for Brondby's 23-year-old striker Simon Makienok. The 6ft 7in forward was also a target for previous manager Ian Holloway.

With Rene´s connections this could be one for us
Where there's a will there's a wife

MisfitKid

Quote from: Baggins on December 09, 2013, 09:42:10 PM
Quote from: Berserker on December 09, 2013, 08:54:54 PM
Bilbo or Frodo : - )

Neither we just call our dog baggins so it's kinda stuck!  :021:

Kinda like Indiana Jones...?   :Get Coat gif:

Midfield for me.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Vermeer

Welcome Mr Baggins. Good question. I think Riise is our weakest player. Consistently so. Getting out of trouble is a lot about team spirit, attitude and sweat. With blokes like Reither and the Greek we are much blessed. Obviously Parker too. Much as I despaired of Jol, I had to applaud him signing Scotty. We've got some experienced lads. Lets get some young legs in. Do we have em already in reserve? Do we have to spend in Jan? How long do we keep saying we have great kids in the pipeline without ever bringing them into the first team? Not sure I know the exact answer but young legs with great attitude will help tons. I don't mean flood rhe team with youth but just two or rhree on the bench ready to come on at 65/70

Vermeer

PS to Biggins question~ if we have, in Rene, one of the world's finest coaches...and if Will Hughes, still a teenager at Derby but a true creative talent..can they be brought together at the Cottage for 2/3 years. Might be a perfect fit. True, huge clubs like Barca and United are interested but they haven't moved yet. Maybe we can be a bridging step for Hughes and sell on at profit. Somewhere good for him to learn his trade. Hef's still a teenager but he could help us get out of jail this year? What you think gents?

Twig

Most January spending binges end up in tears, so my view is invest with prudence and wait for the summer where possible.

Rhys Lightning 63

Left-back. Riise isn't getting any younger, and Richardson + Briggs aren't good enough
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

PaulJ123

Riise will be good enough for this season (Richardson, Briggs and Amorebieta for cover)

We still need a creative CM. Sidwell is not good enough in that role and Karagounis can't last 90mins

Fernhurst

Within the the football industry, January window is a pain. Inflated prices for inferior goods you just hope might get you out of trouble.
Berbatov's decision to stay or go is vital to our survival and how the hell would we replace him with someone packaged as "ready to go". My suspicion is Berb WILL go and we will be forced to get someone in. The next issue is ..... Who the heck will want to come to Fulham if we remain in the bottom 3. If our existing loanees are contracted until the end of the season, there is no room to bring in a couple of classy reinforcements.
Do hope Rene's little black book can unearth two or three classy Premier ready replacements.

:wine: Here's to Rene's startling good start extending to seasons end  082.gif

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

EJL

I think Berbatov will see out the rest of the season. And I'd be happy to stick with Riise if he carries on his great form, but we definitely need a backup. I know there are still a few who believe Briggs hasn't had enough chances, or that his future lies in another position, but I don't see it. He's still not progressed from his fantastic performance at Stamford Bridge in the Capital One Cup.

Julius Geezer

Too many signings in mid-season can upset the apple cart.

I'm sure Rene knows that and I think we can fully trust his judgement on bringing in players we really need.

Another winger is essential as 1 injury or suspension could leave us unbalanced and thus having to change the system.

Any other signings could probably be left til the summer.

It comes down to whether Rene thinks he's got a squad capable of staying in the Premier League.

Personally I think we don't have enough competition for places.

Ichabod Magoo

Anyone who thinks he/she knows whether Berba is staying or leaving must think they can read body language, facial expressions, tea leaves, or a myriad of other indicators.  If you have a "feeling", it may be something you ate.  We'll just have to wait this out.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Fernhurst

Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on December 11, 2013, 06:18:20 PM
Anyone who thinks he/she knows whether Berba is staying or leaving must think they can read body language, facial expressions, tea leaves, or a myriad of other indicators.  If you have a "feeling", it may be something you ate.  We'll just have to wait this out.

Well, did you completely miss the quote by his agent on the night before we played Spurs.
I feel quietly furious he got his agent to announce to the Media he was " not happy at Fulham and will looking at a different option in January" instead of having the nuts to announce it himself.

If anyone is dopey enough to think the agent said what he did independently without consulting his client then they are living in La La land.!!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Baggins on December 09, 2013, 07:42:48 PM
Personally I feel we need more options up front.
Me too, especially as it looks like Berba will be moving on, although it might be worth playing tarrabt in the Berba role

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: Fernhurst on December 11, 2013, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on December 11, 2013, 06:18:20 PM
Anyone who thinks he/she knows whether Berba is staying or leaving must think they can read body language, facial expressions, tea leaves, or a myriad of other indicators.  If you have a "feeling", it may be something you ate.  We'll just have to wait this out.

Well, did you completely miss the quote by his agent on the night before we played Spurs.
I feel quietly furious he got his agent to announce to the Media he was " not happy at Fulham and will looking at a different option in January" instead of having the nuts to announce it himself.

If anyone is dopey enough to think the agent said what he did independently without consulting his client then they are living in La La land.!!

I don't disagree with your assumption based on his agent's comment ... while Jol was still employed.  Who knows what his feelings are since Rene took over.  All I know is that Rene said he won't stand in Berba's way IF he wants to leave, not WHEN he wants to leave.