watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Evening standard team of the week....

Started by jarv, December 10, 2013, 12:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

THREE Fulham players and to cap it, Steve Sidwell makes player of the week. Could not agree more, round of applause for Sidders. :clap_hands:

callumc513

Interestingly, he's actually been one of our more consistent goalscorers over the past year or two.
I think René's system will give him more space to charge forward, and while he's not very disciplined positionally, I reckon he's more talented technically than some people on here give him credit for, remember the goals v Parma and Crystal Palace?

RidgeRider

He's also been regularly slated on this board as if he was the reason we've been losing. He ain't perfect, but he works his backside off on he pitch and scores a goal here and there. Glad he got the recognition because he did play well this week.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: callumc513 on December 10, 2013, 12:51:10 AM
Interestingly, he's actually been one of our more consistent goalscorers over the past year or two.
I think René's system will give him more space to charge forward, and while he's not very disciplined positionally, I reckon he's more talented technically than some people on here give him credit for, remember the goals v Parma and Crystal Palace?
.................... and while he's not very disciplined positionally,?????
Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!! and there is  me thinking  Steve Sidwell  is a box to box player

leonffc

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 10, 2013, 12:55:30 AM
He's also been regularly slated on this board as if he was the reason we've been losing. He ain't perfect, but he works his backside off on he pitch and scores a goal here and there. Glad he got the recognition because he did play well this week.

Exactly RR. I've said a few times, when we are in the position we are in and playing the we were playing (under Jol) I would have one Sidwell over two Two Ruiz's or Berbatovs. He isn't the best but he IS better technically than some give him credit for and he brings energy and grit to the side. Plus he weighs in with goals!

epsomraver

Well said that man!

epsomraver

Quote from: KCat on December 10, 2013, 01:26:05 AM
Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!! and there is  me thinking  Steve Sidwell  is a box to box player

064.gif 064.gif

callumc513

Quote from: KCat on December 10, 2013, 01:26:05 AM

He has played as more of DM this season than he normally does.

BestOfBrede

I think the reason the people that are unsure of Sidders feel this way isn't anything to do with Skill, Pace, commitment etc - I think in the main it is because he is a Red waiting to happen and we cannot afford to play with 10 men!
Well that's how I feel anyway.  096.gig

Skatzoffc

:plus one:

Well said sir

049:gif
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Fulham1959

Well done to all three, and fully deserved.

grandad

What devalues it is Palace having 4 players in it. I would have thought Kara & Parker would have been in with a shout.
Where there's a will there's a wife

cmg

Quote from: BestOfBrede on December 10, 2013, 12:36:14 PM
... he is a Red waiting to happen and we cannot afford to play with 10 men!
Well that's how I feel anyway.  096.gig

...you are not neccessarily wrong - but surely, in this Premier League, the same can be said of any player who makes a lot of tackles - especially in a side which is often under pressure.

EJL

Quote from: grandad on December 10, 2013, 01:04:16 PM
What devalues it is Palace having 4 players in it. I would have thought Kara & Parker would have been in with a shout.
Ratings-based, decided entirely by statistics.

FFC1987

Sidwell in a two man centre midfield doesn't work. In a three it works for him perfectly. The tactics have changed and this is reflecting in individual and team performances. Having been critical in the past of Sidwell about his inability to change his game to our teams needs, it turns out it wasn't him that needed to change but the tactics being used with him. Hats off to the guy. Although I must admit, Karagounis is still the lynchpin in that middle :)

EJL

Quote from: cmg on December 10, 2013, 01:09:05 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on December 10, 2013, 12:36:14 PM
... he is a Red waiting to happen and we cannot afford to play with 10 men!
Well that's how I feel anyway.  096.gig

...you are not neccessarily wrong - but surely, in this Premier League, the same can be said of any player who makes a lot of tackles - especially in a side which is often under pressure.
It reminds me of why some clubs have been hesitant to sign Demba Ba, arguing that 'his knee could go at any minute'. Surely that can be applied to any player whether they're injured or not?

jmh

He's been part of the reason we've been losing.  He works very hard, obviously, but he and Parker both have a tendency to chase the ball and leave our defenders (whose faults are often discussed here) exposed.  It was a facet of Jol's lack of discernible tactics that there often wasn't adequate cover.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: jmh on December 10, 2013, 05:37:24 PM
He's been part of the reason we've been losing.  He works very hard, obviously, but he and Parker both have a tendency to chase the ball and leave our defenders (whose faults are often discussed here) exposed.  It was a facet of Jol's lack of discernible tactics that there often wasn't adequate cover.
That's a good point!  Agree with that.

twang

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 10, 2013, 01:15:31 PM
Sidwell in a two man centre midfield doesn't work. In a three it works for him perfectly. The tactics have changed and this is reflecting in individual and team performances. Having been critical in the past of Sidwell about his inability to change his game to our teams needs, it turns out it wasn't him that needed to change but the tactics being used with him. Hats off to the guy. Although I must admit, Karagounis is still the lynchpin in that middle :)

Exactly this. I've been very critical of Sidwell in the past but fair play to him and the other (Big Phil, Riise etc) who have raised their games in the last two games. But let's not rewrite history. Sidwell plus another as the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 has been anything but successful.

Rene has made many good changes since taking over, but to put the balance right in the team with the 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 formation is the most obvious one.