watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (13/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 13, 2013, 05:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FULHAM TRANSFER WINDOW: Berbatov exit could pave way for arrivals of Anderson and old boy Dempsey

As Premier League chiefs prepare to fling open the January transfer window, Sportsmail takes a look at each top-flight club and assesses the business they are each likely to do in the post-Christmas sales.

New boss Rene Meulensteen will want to bring in some new faces as the Cottagers battle for Premier League survival, but who do they need?

What do they need?
Where to start? Fulham need cover in central defence given Brede Hangeland's recurring injury problems, a fresh pair of young legs in central midfield and a striker who does not think it beyond himself to track back now and again.

Cottage industry: New boss Rene Meulensteen will want new signings to stave off relegation

Recent performances against Spurs and Aston Villa have been much improved, but a few new faces would also help to lift the mood and attitude of a squad who have been on a downward spiral over the last 12 months.

How much is in the chest?

There 'will be funds available' for Rene Meulensteen in January - as much as £10million - as Fulham try to buy their way out of trouble, but owner Shahid Khan is also wary of fully backing a head coach who has only been asked to manage the first team until the end of the season.

Loan rangers: Fulham could look for more temporary signings like Darren Bent (left) and Adel Taarabt (right)

Do not expect marquee signings akin to the £10.6m Fulham splurged on Bryan Ruiz in August 2011, but a number of smaller, short-term deals.

Fulham tend to like a loan move, too, with Darren Bent and Adel Taarabt currently on temporary deals from Aston Villa and QPR respectively. Sascha Riether, for example, spent a year on loan before signing a permanent deal and Fulham may benefit from bringing in players on short-term contracts until the end of the season.
Who do they like the look of?

Meulensteen will be no doubt tempted to look to his old club Manchester United for inspiration, which Anderson thought to be on Fulham's radar.

Boy from Brazil: Rene Meulensteen could return to Manchester United for out of favour Anderson

Reunion? Old boy Clint Dempsey could return on loan during the MLS off season

The west London club have looked closely at Southampton's Jack Cork before, while a three-month deal for Fulham old boy Clint Dempsey looks an obvious fit given his experience of the Premier League.
Dinamo Moscow winger Balazs Dzsudzsak is another thought to have attracted Fulham's eye, while PSV and Sweden's Ola Toivonen has just six months left on his current contract, although Liverpool, West Ham and Newcastle are also understood to be interested.
Who's heading for the exit?
The main issue is whether Dimitar Berbatov will stay at the club. Even at 32, with just six months left on his contract and only three goals to his name this season, he remains one of Fulham's few attractive assets and his sale would save the club around £2million in wages, as well as bringing in a minimal transfer fee.
Exit strategy? Dimitar Berbatov could leave in January after his agent claimed he was 'unhappy'
Exit strategy? Dimitar Berbatov could leave in January after his agent claimed he was 'unhappy'
His agent has said he is unhappy but the striker's priority is to stay in England and Fulham could surely not risk selling him to another club in the bottom half of the table.

Jol's sacking seems to have given a new lease of life to John Arne Riise, who would have moved on in January had the Dutchman still been in charge. Goalkeeper David Stockdale is another who would have sought at least a loan move but could now stay and fight for a place in the starting XI.

Best ever January buy

The £2million Fulham spent on Clint Dempsey in January 2007 or the £2.5m fee that brought Brede Hangeland to Craven Cottage 12 months later underpinned the success of the Roy Hodgson era.

Nice earner: Chris Smalling played on for the season before being sold to Manchester United for £10m

The £10m Fulham received for Chris Smalling in January 2010 (although he stayed in west London until the end of the season) after less than two years at the club was not bad business, either.

January signing to forget
£3million for striker Eddie Johnson in January 2008, anyone? After two and a half years and no goals the American quietly moved on.

Flop: Fulham's signing of Eddie Johnson (left) wasn't their best piece of January business

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2522484/Fulham-Transfer-Window-Guide-Dimitar-Berbatov-exit-Anderson-Clint-Dempsey-arrive.html#ixzz2nKOi1Bmk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Loan Spell Extended

It has been really quiet on the news front this week, which considering we`ve got a relatively new manager at the helm, is a little frustrating.

But, as we head towards a difficult fixture this weekend then we`re hoping that the news feeds will kick into action.

Today though we do have a snippet for you!

It seems that our young winger, Ryan Willams, currently on loan at Oxford United, is set to remain there.

Oxford are keen to keep the twenty year old until the end of the season and Ryan seems very keen to stay there, remarking,

"I`d be stupid to go anywhere else."

Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to wish him well for the remainder of the season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=341619#ixzz2nKPC5JLY

WhiteJC

Hope at Fulham as former Manchester United assistant coach steps up

Rene Meulensteen, Fulham's new coach, has managed in Europe before.

The Dutchman, 49, who is best known for his work as an assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, was in charge of the Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala for 16 days in August.

He had also coached the youth team of NEC Nijmegen, where he played as a professional in his native Holland. Meulensteen, as well as Qatar's Under 18s, plus Al Gharafa and Al Sadd in Doha.

That was before he joined United as a youth coach, in 2001, where he impressed and was promoted to reserve team manager in 2005.

"We all liked his coaching," the defender Adam Eckersley said. "It was the best I'd had in my career, to that point. Training was very tactical and well-organised. Before that, training wasn't so structured and I felt like I was going a bit stale."

Under Meulensteen, Eckersley progressed and made his first-team debut in October 2005.

Meulensteen also studied Barcelona's youth and reserve model and decided that was the way forward for United, but he did not stay to implement it.

His reputation as a progressive coach began to spread. In June 2006 he was offered a three-year contract at Brondby, one of Denmark's leading clubs. The salary was superior, plus it was a chance to be the manager, and he took it.

As he left United, he took with him Eckersley and another reserve, Mark Howard.

"Rene told me to come to Copenhagen, see the city and the club," Howard said.

"I had an offer of a three-year contract to weigh up. I knew the manager and that Brondby were playing in the Uefa Cup."

Howard said that United's Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had suggested "it would be a good move for my development – and that it would be a step up playing against players who were fighting for their win bonus".

Howard moved to Denmark. "I was a bit hot-headed," he said. "I picked up some stupid red cards and had to calm down. I needed to think about the team and not just myself, but the first six months were very difficult."

Howard calmed and stayed; Meulensteen did not.

"He left in the seventh month after a row with the board about who should be buying players," Howard said. "Everyone thought that I would go back to England because I was one of 'Rene's Boys'."

He stayed. "I was sad that things didn't work out for Rene because he's a really good coach with top people skills, he was just lacking in management experience.

"But I didn't have to go, too. The sporting director told me to stay and I did. Things started to improve and I began to enjoy playing at Brondby."

Howard was voted player of the year in 2007 when he was just 21.

Meulensteen returned to Manchester, close to his family home in Wilmslow, and Ferguson took him back on at Old Trafford, this time working with the first team as a skills coach.

After a year, he was promoted to the role of first-team coach. He was popular, very confident and equally adept at his job, though Ferguson once warned him to be private and not so indiscreet when talking with journalists.

He would not be the first Dutchman in football who liked to talk. Meulensteen was seen as being tactically astute, and his opinions were respected by Ferguson, who wanted him on the training ground with his players.

He loved his job and would tell his wife each morning that he was going to see his "other family" – at United. Ryan Giggs, Robin van Persie and Ruud van Nistelrooy were fans of his work.

When Ferguson stepped down, he told his replacement, David Moyes, that he hoped he would retain his coaches. Moyes did not, though he offered Meulensteen a lesser job.

Moyes is criticised for surrounding himself with his own lieutenants and dispensing with the services of the goalkeeping coach Eric Steele, Meulensteen and the assistant manager Mike Phelan, but he felt he needed to be surrounded by people he had worked with before and could trust. Meulensteen went to Russia, which did not work out; he was sacked by Anzhi, who were in turmoil.

Soon he was back in Manchester, before taking up the position as coach under compatriot Martin Jol at Fulham last month.

Less than three weeks later, Fulham sacked Jol and Meulensteen took control of the first team, whom he led to victory against Aston Villa on Saturday, ending a run of six defeats.

He is tasked with keeping Fulham up. His contract runs until June 2014.

He will hope that, this time, he enjoys a longer stay as manager than he has in the past.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/hope-at-fulham-as-former-manchester-united-assistant-coach-steps-up#ixzz2nKPZbKrE
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

WhiteJC

What to do with Bryan Ruiz?

Bryan Ruiz is currently Fulham's record signing and he is also one of the club's most talented players, but his form has been woeful for most of the season. What could Rene Meulensteen do to improve this? Maybe playing him as a forward is the answer.

With Sunday's win over Aston Villa, Fulham's overall form seems greatly improved. However, conspicuously absent from the starting XI was club record-signing and perhaps the second most talented player, Bryan Ruiz. Yet, Ruiz's failure to come off the bench could hardly come as a surprise; his form has been poor throughout this season and he has struggled to find any consistency since joining the club in 2011. While the same could be said about the many of the team's midfielders, at least the others have a distinct advantage in that they can at least point to the energy that they expend on the pitch, whereas Ruiz, with his low work rate and reluctance to trek back on defense, looks especially poor in comparison.

However, as mentioned earlier, he is the the club's record signing, and a club of Fulham's stature simply cannot afford to waste an alleged £10.6 on a player who is not a permanent fixture in the starting XI. Alternatively, Fulham need Bryan Ruiz to play reasonably well if for no other reason to reduce the losses when the team inevitably sells him. Thus, it is vital that Rene Meulensteen find a way to make use of Ruiz for the remainder of the season.

The best way to seemingly make use of Ruiz's talents would be to play him as an attacking midfielder with the team built around him, which is how he has been used both at FC Twente and on the Costa Rican national team. Obviously, this solution would be both impractical and illogical, especially as the team is just starting to show positive signs of gelling under Meulensteen's 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 formation.  Fortunately, based on Dimitar Berbatov's performance in the past week, a solution may have presented itself: play Ruiz as a false nine.

Essentially, a false nine is a striker who plays more like a midfielder; rather than acting as the tip of the attack, a false nine drops back and plays the ball forward to the midfielders. Some of the best examples include Lionel Messi at Barcelona, Francesco Totti at Roma, and Cesc Fabregas as part of the Spanish national team during the 2012 European Cup. Whether by Meulensteen's design or his own personal preference, Berbatov often played in this manner on Sunday, and both goals were a result of him passing the ball forward to Steve Sidwell and Alexander Kacaniklic. More importantly, for once Fulham were able to maintain possession, and Berbatov especially was key in getting his teammates into dangerous positions.

Admittedly, the tactic is not a perfect fit for Fulham's midfield--it's much easier to maintain possession and play with a false nine when Xavi and Andres Iniesta make up the team's midfield. That being said, Sidwell has (inexplicably) been one of the team's top scorers this season, and Pajtim Kasami, Ashkan Dejagah, and Kacaniklic have demonstrated enough attacking ability for it to be effective. The key would be to make selective use of this strategy.

As for Ruiz himself, like Berbatov, he has an incredible first touch and a predisposition to drop back already. Further, the most unnoticed parts of Ruiz's skillset are the simple touch passes and flicks, which he seems to do instinctively, that often place his teammates in perfect position inside the opposition box. It should be understood that Ruiz would only play in this role part-time and never alongside either Berbatov or Darren Bent. Unfortunately, this would not solve the problem of him being outside the starting XI, but the hope is that, as it is more suited to his skillset, that it could improve his form and his confidence. If he were to improve his form in the FA Cup and as Berbatov's backup, it may revitalize interest in the player from other clubs.

Playing Ruiz as a striker is not without its disadvantages; in spite of his height, he's not particularly strong and has been unable to win anything in the air. Yet, Bent, a more traditional striker, has been just as poor, so perhaps Meulensteen should discourage long balls upfield altogether when Berbatov is not on the pitch. Ruiz also has often given away possession far too cheaply. While playing him forward is a gamble, it could also alleviate the consequences of turnovers to some degree; rather than turning the ball over in the middle third as he often does now, he would instead do so in the final third, forcing the opposition to advance the ball further and allowing the Fulham midfield and defense more time to win the ball back. Continuing to assign one of the pivots--Scott Parker and Derek Boateng being the most logical candidates--to operate purely as a defensive midfielder also might help counteract this.

Until now, Darren Bent has been the default choice as backup striker simply due to his reputation. If nothing else, Ruiz would at least give him some competition for the role. Fulham's survival this season may be dependent on one of the two returning to the form that they were once capable of.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/12/12/5203110/what-to-do-with-bryan-ruiz?

WhiteJC

Doubts over Taarabt's Fulham future

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen has suggested that the club could look to send Adel Taarabt back to QPR in January if he fails to impress.

The Moroccan is on a season-long loan with the Whites but struggled to break into the first team under previous boss Martin Jol

Taarabt has made just three league starts and 11 appearances in all competitions this term, and the 24-year-old will be one of a number of players assessed when the transfer window reopens.

"Whether Taarabt will stay or go is something to discuss in January," Meulensteen explained.

"It comes down to what we need in the squad and if there are certain areas we need to address.

"Adel is a very talented player and so far I have worked with him well. I hope I can help him to fulfil his potential."

Striker Dimitar Berbatov's future is also in doubt after Meulensteen admitted he would not block a move for the Bulgarian if he wanted to leave Craven Cottage when the transfer window opens.

"I will not stand in anybody's way if they want to leave," the Dutchman said.

"We will discuss what happens with Berbatov in January when we get there, and with John Arne Riise too.

"We will take it game by game, and when we get to a situation when we have to discuss things with the relevant people, we will do."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/doubts-over-taarabts-future498333

WhiteJC

Pies' 2013 Christmas Gift Guide, No.8 – Official Fulham Plasters

The perfect stocking-filler for the Fulham fan in your life that you don't particularly like but would begrudgingly spend £1 on to see that their minor wounds are dressed adequately...

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulham/181362/pies-2013-christmas-gift-guide-no-8-official-fulham-plasters.html?

WhiteJC

Rene's Everton Preview

Rene Meulensteen is hoping his Fulham side can build on their positive displays last week when they face Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday (3pm).

The Whites lost to Tottenham Hotspur despite dominating for lengthy periods of the game, but were rewarded for a vibrant performance against Aston Villa with a first win in seven Barclays Premier League outings.

"It makes a massive difference," Meulensteen admitted when asked about going into the next match on the back of three points. "I thought the performance against Spurs was excellent where we didn't get the points that we deserved. But we didn't fall back, we kicked on, plus we played some good football and deserved to win [against Villa]. The best medicine is always to win football matches.

"Good performances build confidence, good results build confidence and the team is in very good spirits. It's a process, which I've explained to the players. It's not something that's easy to turn on and off, but do the basic things right, build from there and hopefully more good results will come our way.

"It's too early to say [if Fulham have turned a corner] but we made a good start. I think that you need a string of games with good results. I explained to the players that as much as the victory was important and two goals were scored, even more important was the clean sheet. That's one of the things you need to get right and correct, first and foremost. If you get clean sheets then you always get points on the board."

Saturday's opponents have been something of a revelation in the Premier League this season, with a defeat by Manchester City the only game the Toffees have lost under new manager Roberto Martinez.

Former boss David Moyes transformed Everton into a major force in England's top flight, and Martinez is clearly building on that positive work, although with a slightly different approach, Meulensteen believes.

"I think they play more freely, to some extent, a bit more adventurous," he explained. "Obviously Roberto, in all his time at Swansea City, going into his time at Wigan Athletic, he likes to experiment with different line-ups.

"I don't think he's done that so much with Everton but he does like to have an attacking slant to it. You can see that, and it has worked. Look where they are in the league and how they've done against the big teams in this league, so they're up there for a reason.

"I'm 100 per cent sure that Roberto will be the first one to admit the good job that David Moyes has done for so many years at Everton, don't forget that. Everton has always been a good side and a very hard side to play against, but every manager's got his style. Roberto has got his style and he's definitely put an ingredient in there which made them play in an attacking style which can get results against top teams."

In Fulham's history, the Whites have never won at Goodison Park and are yet to pick up even a point in the Premier League era – a fact that Meulensteen hopes spurs his troops on when they tackle the Blues at the weekend.

He stated: "It's an extra challenge and it should be an extra motivation for us but I'm a strong believer of making sure that for every Premier League team, whatever position they have, you should always be preparing to win the next game, home or away.

"Now obviously, depending who you're up against, it can be a different kettle of fish. You need to be realistic about it. It's a challenge but more important for us is that we kick on from what we've achieved over the last two home games and carry a lot of the good things that we've created into the next game against Everton."

Darren Bent has being missing from the last two Fulham squads through injury – although he was ineligible to face parent club Villa regardless – but Fulham's Head Coach confirmed that he could feature on Saturday.

"He's trained," Meulensteen said of the striker. "He picked up this slight hamstring problem which kept him out for a while but he's been training again this week. He's been training well so we just need to have a look at him, but he's available to put in the squad.

"The only one that we need to assess, with regards to if he's up for selection, is Fernando Amorebieta. He's close but we need to keep an eye on him and we'll do that on Friday morning. Brede Hangeland had successful surgery recently which is good because that will clarify things and help us find a path and a way forward to get him back."

Since Meulensteen stepped up to take over First Team affairs, there has noticeably been more pep and zip in Fulham's performances which came as a result of hard work in training, the Dutchman insisted.

"I'm a strong believer that the quality that you work with on the training pitch will manifest itself in the games," he said. "Like I said, the players have responded really well. What I've done is make sure we establish the basic ingredients for any performance which means that it's always based on work rate and commitment.

"If that's not there, you can be the best players in the world but you won't get any results. That's what I wanted to establish first. On top of that, you're going to work more on how we want to defend, what style we want to defend in, what style we want to attack.

"These are the things that you drip feed into the players, into the squad, because you've got different players with different qualities and you need to make sure you utilise all of them to the best of their capabilities."

He continued: "I think everyone has their own sort of style, so to speak. My style, being Dutch, is based on good possessional play, but with an attacking intent. I've spent a lot of time working alongside Sir Alex Ferguson and that wasn't any different. So hopefully, in time to come, I can blend that style into the Fulham team but, like I said, that's a process that takes a bit of time."

After the upcoming clash on Merseyside, Fulham will compete in five matches across 15 days as the notorious festive period gets under way. Meulensteen is confident his side is strong enough to successfully navigate through the various fixtures, but admitted careful management of the squad will be imperative.

"We've got two big, big games coming up now with Everton away and then Manchester City at home, but they are week-to-week games, so we can cope and manage that," he said. "It's important that you manage the squad in three different stages; the players above 30, the players [aged] 30-25, and the younger lads.

"They all need a different sort of approach to make sure that they're ready to perform to the best possible levels that they have; physically, tactically, etcetera, etcetera. If you come to the Christmas period where you've got Norwich City away, Hull City away and West Ham United [at home], and even the cup game against Norwich, that's when it's a challenging time, that's when you really need to utilise the qualities of the squad that you have at your disposal."

When asked if he expects the squad to be stretched to its limit over the coming weeks, Meulensteen replied: "Massively, definitely it will, there's no doubt about that. Every year it's the same and you see that and you really need to be picking the right teams for those games.

"It's an interesting one because it's a bit new to me because I've come from an environment where you're picking up three points week after week. People do tend to calculate a bit more and set certain targets and I think target-setting is important because it gives a focus, it gives a purpose.

"I always make sure the players focus on the performance, rather than the outcome. So the better the performance, the better the focus on the performance, and then hopefully we can get something out of the next two big games coming up.

"I myself don't want to look too far ahead but, before the year end, in the four games coming up, I would definitely expect that we do well and pick up points."

Meulensteen was also quizzed as to his position at the Club, as his title of Head Coach has remained the same despite his taking charge of the team following former Manager Martin Jol's departure.

"Titles are not really that important to me, to be fairly honest," he said. "We agreed on a contract until the end of the season. This situation has come up and I'm fully committed to this task and whether they call me Head Coach or Manager, the most important thing is that I take all the responsibilities and make sure that I prepare the team and train them in the best possible way that I can."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/12/renes-everton-preview?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen backing Berbatov to lift Fulham despite agent claims

Rene Meulensteen insists Dimitar Berbatov is key to Fulham climbing up the Premier League table.

Berbatov's agent has claimed the Fulham striker is unhappy at Craven Cottage and the suggestion was that he would look for a move in the January transfer window.

But Meulensteen, who took over as head coach until the end of the season following Martin Jol's sacking, wants Berbatov to keep turning in the committed performances seen in the last two matches against Tottenham and Aston Villa.

Meulensteen admits there will be talks about Berbatov's future in January but denies he has told the Bulgarian he can leave.

"What I said is I will not stand in anyone's way if they wanted to leave. With Dimitar I had a good chat when I took over and he has been as good as gold to me looking at the performance he has put in against Tottenham and Aston Villa," Meulensteen said.

"With him we are going to really focus on the four upcoming games we have got and from the performance levels that I have seen I am sure everyone will agree if Dimitar plays at that level he will be a very important player in the games to come."

On the transfer window Meuelensteen added: "We will discuss when we get there.

"For me it is a challenge as a manager. I have known him (Berbatov) for many years, I have worked with him for a long, long time and football will always be about opinions. The proof is in the performances on the pitch and so far I can only be pleased with how it has been going."

Fulham travel to Everton on Saturday where they have never won in the league and Meulensteen believes they can build on the 2-0 win last weekend against Villa.

"There is only one medicine really and the best medicine is a win in football matches," he said.

"Good performances build confidence, good results build confidence. The team is in very good spirits. It is not always easy to turn on and off but do the basics right, build from there and hopefully more good results will come our way."

Meulensteen carved his reputation as a coach working alongside Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United and he hopes that experience will serve him well as he tries to steer Fulham out of the relegation zone.

He admits it has been a culture shock, moving from one end of the league table to another.

Meulensteen said: "I have come from an environment when it was just picking up three points week after week. Target setting is important, it gives a focus and a purpose. But I make sure the players concentrate on the performance rather than the outcome."

The Dutchman is a big admirer of Everton manager Roberto Martinez who has taken the Goodison club to fifth place in the league playing expansive football.

He said: "Everton has always been a good side. Every manager has his style and he has definitely put an ingredient in there which made them believe that to play in an attacking style can get results against top teams.

"They play more freely, a bit more adventurous. Roberto likes to experiment with different line-ups. He does like to have an attacking slant to it and it has worked. Look where they are in the league and how they have done against the big teams. They are there for a reason."

Striker Darren Bent has recovered from a slight hamstring problem and will be available for the squad travelling to Everton.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-12-12/meulensteen-backing-berbatov-to-lift-fulham-despite-agent-claims/?

WhiteJC

Taarabt and Riise will be given Fulham fresh start, says Meulensteen

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen will give Adel Taarabt and John Arne Riise the chance to prolong their Craven Cottage careers.

Riise, who fell out of favour under former boss Martin Jol, has impressed in their last two Premier League matches, including the 2-0 win against Aston Villa.

And Taarabt, who is on a season-long loan from QPR, has also struggled for first-team action with Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz ahead of him in the playmaker role pecking order.

However, Meulensteen is ready to let both of them prove their worth in the post-Jol era.

"John Arne has a fantastic career behind him and is a fantastic person. He's very positive and because of the situation he was up for selection and was very important for us," Meulensteen said.

"We will take it game by game and when we reach a situation when we have to discuss it with the relevant people, we will do - his performances have been very good."

On Taarabt, the former Manchester United coach added: "It comes down to what we need in the squad and if there are certain areas we need to address.

"Adel is a very talented player and so far I have worked with him well. I hope I can help him to fulfil his potential."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/taarabt-and-riise-will-be-given-fulham-fresh-start-says-meulensteen-13121271627#l2IrWgePdlwBuAoB.99

WhiteJC

Head Coach Video

Rene Meulensteen talks about the winning mentality he aims to build and our preparations for the trip to Everton.

Meulensteen Previews Everton

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/12/head-coach-video?

WhiteJC

Everton vs Fulham: Q&A with Cottagers Confidential

SB Nation's Fulham blog 'Cottagers Confidential' spoke with us about the London side's season so far.

'Cottagers Confidential' has been one of the better football blogs in the SB Nation family, and we continue our long-standing tradition of Q&As with them by speaking with Andrew there.

RBM - Martin Jol just had to go didn't he after that horrific start to the year? Any regrets or unfinished business there?

CC - Jol, just seemed to want out. I think it's possible at his age, he wasn't up for the daily grind of coaching a team. Which makes the Meulensteen appointment make much more sense. If Jol was looking to step into more of a director of football position, Meulensteen would have been the perfect head coach.

RBM - How about the new man in the spotlight Rene Meulensteen, what have you learned about him so far?

CC - The most exciting thing about Meulensteen is that he seems to have a plan. Too often with Jol, it seemed as if he just picked a side and told them to go out there and run around. When Meulensteen picks a squad all the players seem to make sense and have defined roles.

RBM - What are you expecting from the team for the rest of the year? Maybe a FA Cup run to salvage the season?

CC - Honestly, I just want the club to stay up. If they can stay up, the future is pretty bright. They have some good young players, a great academy, and plans to redevelop the Riverside stand. If they can just get through this year, I believe Fulham can become a perennial top 10 side.

RBM - Rumours have now surfaced that Dimitar Berbatov wants out - are these substantiated or just hearsay?

CC - It doesn't shock me. Berbatov is out of contract at the end of the season. He's not in the plans going forward and only came to Fulham to be paired with Jol again. If the club can get anything for him, it wouldn't shock me to see him go.

RBM - The January transfer market is approaching rapidly, who/where will Meulensteen be targeting to improve the squad?

CC - Meulensteen has been linked with basically every single player that is on the fringe's of the Manchester United side. He was very popular there, and the media is just jumping to the conclusion that those players would like to come play for him again. Ideally I'd like to see a LB, a CB, a CM, and a striker be brought in. Though that's a lot of business to be doing in January.

RBM - Finally, a score prediction for Saturday. Who are you expecting to shine for either side?

CC - My heart says a 1-1 draw. My head says a 2-1 defeat. There's simply too much quality on Everton right now. I just don't think Fulham can hang with them unless they get a lot of lucky breaks. I see Romelu Lukaku having his way with our CB's. And if Gerard Deulofeu starts, I don't see how they can contain him.

http://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2013/12/12/5203418/everton-vs-fulham-q-a-with-cottagers-confidential?

WhiteJC

Fulham wait on defender ahead of Everton clash

Centre-back Amorebieta to have a late fitness test before the trip to Goodison Park

In contention: Fulham defender Fernando Amorebieta could return to the squad
Fulham will give a late fitness test to Fernado Amorebieta ahead of Saturday's clash with Everton.

The Venezuelan defender is yet to feature since Rene Meulensteen took charge earlier this month after picking up an injury in the 3-0 defeat at West Ham  - a loss that cost Martin Jol his job.

However, Amorebieta is back in training and could return to the squad if he comes through tomorrow's session without any setbacks.

Darren Bent is available again following a hamstring strain, but Meulensteen is without Brede Hangeland until January after his skipper went under the knife in a bid to clear up a sciatic nerve problem in his leg.

"We need to assess Fernando Amorebieta," said the Dutchman. "He's close but we need to keep an eye on him and we'll do that on Friday morning.

"Brede Hangeland had successful surgery recently which is good because that will clarify things and help us find a path and a way forward to get him back."

Meanwhile, Meulensteen has urged his side to build on the morale-boosting win against Villa last time out when they travel to Merseyside.

Fulham have never won at Goodison Park, but the former Manchester United coach insists they head north full of confidence.

He added: "It's an extra challenge and it should be extra motivation for us.

"But more important that we kick on from what we've achieved over the last two home games and carry a lot of the good things that we've created into the game against Everton."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-wait-defender-ahead-everton-6400726?

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Malaga eye move for Taarabt

Queens Park Rangers playmaker Adel Taarabt is on the radar of La Liga side Malaga.

The Moroccan, currently on loan at Fulham, is being offered to the Spanish outfit as Rangers look to reduce their wage bill.

talkSPORT understands that the Cottagers are paying a large percentage of the 24-year-old's salary but Harry Redknapp's side are keen to cut all ties with the ex-Tottenham star.

Former Fulham boss Martin Jol took a chance on Taraabt last summer but the 24-year-old has failed to impress on loan this season.

And the south west London side are ready to end his temporary spell at Craven Cottage early, in order for the R's man to make a move abroad.

The Spanish club have also been offered Crystal Palace forward Maroaune Chamakh, who signed a one-year-deal with the newly promoted Premier League side last summer.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-malaga-eye-move-taarabt-13121271583#5RBeDF4rXcieK7gv.99

WhiteJC

Meulensteen pleased with Fulham progress

Rene Meulensteen hopes victory over Aston Villa can be the turning point for Fulham as they look to escape the Premier League bottom three.
Dutchman Meulensteen replaced Martin Jol as boss in the midst of a six-game losing run in the Premier League, but hopes they can now put that behind them, having gotten back to winning ways.
Goals from Steve Sidwell and Dimitar Berbatov secured the crucial victory that moved them level on points with Crystal Palace and West Brom in the lower regions of the Premier League table.
Muelensteen hopes the three points will give them the boost in confidence lift they need to continue to climb up the table.
"Good performances build confidence, good results build confidence and the team is in very good spirits," he said ahead of their trip to Everton on Sunday.
"It's a process, which I've explained to the players. It's not something that's easy to turn on and off, but do the basic things right, build from there and hopefully more good results will come our way.
"It's too early to say (if Fulham have turned a corner) but we made a good start."
Meulensteen has been pleased with the way they have adapted to his style of coaching and expects further improvements to come.
"The players have responded really well," he added. "What I've done is make sure we establish the basic ingredients for any performance which means that it's always based on work rate and commitment.
"If that's not there, you can be the best players in the world but you won't get any results. That's what I wanted to establish first.
"My style, being Dutch, is based on good possession play, but with an attacking intent.
"So hopefully, in time to come, I can blend that style into the Fulham team but, like I said, that's a process that takes a bit of time."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/meulensteen-pleased-fulham-progress#QURAWpA2H2KGiLJV.99

WhiteJC

Meulensteen offers lifeline to Fulham duo

Riise and Taarabt have a part to play, says new Craven Cottage chief

Rene Meulensteen has offered a lifeline to Fulham duo John Arne Riise and Adel Taarabt.

Defender Riise appeared to be on his way out of Craven Cottage after being deemed surplus to requirements by Martin Jol, but has started both game since his sacking.

Playmaker Taarabt has only had a bit-part role since his season-long loan switch from west London neighbours QPR, but Meulensteen has given the duo hope.

He said: "John Arne has a fantastic career behind him and is a fantastic person. He's very positive and because of the situation he was up for selection and was very important for us.

"We will take it game by game and when we reach a situation when we have to discuss it with the relevant people, we will do - his performances have been very good.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/meulensteen-offers-lifeline-fulham-duo-6401050?

WhiteJC

Sidemarket Special: Meulensteen to come unstuck at Goodison

Everton v Fulham - Everton To Win To Nil - Back Yes @ 2.3 or better
Fulham have looked a much-improved side in the last couple of weeks since Rene Meulensteen assumed full control of first team affairs. But I expect that progress to be halted, at least temporarily, when they go to Goodison Park to take on a buoyant Everton this weekend.

The Toffees have taken four points from two away games against Manchester United and Arsenal in the past 10 days, and now return to their home patch where they are unbeaten this season. Roberto Martinez's men have kept nine clean sheets in their last 12 home league games and have lost just two of their last 35 at Goodison in a run that also spans the David Moyes era.

The Cottagers, by contrast, have lost five of their last six Premier League away games and have failed to score in each of those five games. They've also lost five and won none of the last seven Premier League games against Everton.

All things considered, a comfortable home win looks to be on the agenda. Back Everton to win without conceding once the market matures at odds of 2.3 or better.

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/sidemarket-special-meulensteen-to-come-unstuck-at-goodison-121213-159.html?

WhiteJC

Transfer talks set for January but Berbatov key to Meulensteen's Fulham plans

Rene Meulensteen insists Dimitar Berbatov is key to Fulham climbing up the Premier League table.

Berbatov's agent has claimed the Fulham striker is unhappy at Craven Cottage and the suggestion was that he would look for a move in the January transfer window.

But Meulensteen, who took over as head coach until the end of the season following Martin Jol's sacking, wants Berbatov to keep turning in the committed performances seen in the last two matches against Tottenham and Aston Villa.

Meulensteen admits there will be talks about Berbatov's future in January but denies he has told the Bulgarian he can leave.

"What I said is I will not stand in anyone's way if they wanted to leave. With Dimitar I had a good chat when I took over and he has been as good as gold to me looking at the performance he has put in against Tottenham and Aston Villa," Meulensteen said.

"With him we are going to really focus on the four upcoming games we have got and from the performance levels that I have seen I am sure everyone will agree if Dimitar plays at that level he will be a very important player in the games to come."

On the transfer window Meuelensteen added: "We will discuss when we get there.

"For me it is a challenge as a manager. I have known him [Berbatov] for many years, I have worked with him for a long, long time and footballwill always be about opinions. The proof is in the performances on the pitch and so far I can only be pleased with how it has been going."

Fulham travel to Everton on Saturday where they have never won in the league and Meulensteen believes they can build on the 2-0 win last weekend against Villa.

"There is only one medicine really and the best medicine is a win in football matches," he said.

"Good performances build confidence, good results build confidence. The team is in very good spirits. It is not always easy to turn on and off but do the basics right, build from there and hopefully more good results will come our way."

Meulensteen carved his reputation as a coach working alongside Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United and he hopes that experience will serve him well as he tries to steer Fulham out of the relegation zone.

He admits it has been a culture shock, moving from one end of the league table to another.

Meulensteen said: "I have come from an environment when it was just picking up three points week after week. Target setting is important, it gives a focus and a purpose. But I make sure the players concentrate on the performance rather than the outcome."

The Dutchman is a big admirer of Everton manager Roberto Martinez who has taken the Goodison club to fifth place in the league playing expansive football.

He said: "Everton has always been a good side. Every manager has his style and he has definitely put an ingredient in there which made them believe that to play in an attacking style can get results against top teams.

"They play more freely, a bit more adventurous. Roberto likes to experiment with different line-ups. He does like to have an attacking slant to it and it has worked. Look where they are in the league and how they have done against the big teams. They are there for a reason."

Striker Darren Bent has recovered from a slight hamstring problem and will be available for the squad travelling to Everton.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/transfer_talks_set_for_january_but_berbatov_key_to_meulensteen_s_fulham_plans_1_3107975

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Everton v Fulham

Everton are on a great run of form and they gave leaders Arsenal a big test when they got a draw at the Emirates Stadium last week.

I loved the fact that Gunners boss Arsene Wenger said afterwards they were a physical side. You know that he just cannot bring himself to say that Everton played really well - they have to be 'physical' because they like tackling people. So what if they do, but there was much more to that performance than that.
Rene Meulensteen got his first win as Fulham boss at the second attempt when they beat Aston Villa last weekend but, if Everton play anything like they can, then it is asking a lot for the Cottagers to get anything at Goodison Park.
Lawro's prediction: 2-0
John's prediction: Unfortunately I think this is going to end up as an Everton win. Even though Fulham have improved since changing their manager, the way Everton are playing, they are going to win 2-0.

Benefitting from Berbatov

"Dimitar Berbatov was brilliant for Fulham against Aston Villa last week.

"There is a lot of speculation about whether he will move on in January but if he really wants to go then, as I said on last week's MOTD2, all Rene Meulensteen needs to say to him is 'sell yourself - pull your finger out for the next few weeks and then you can go'. If he does that, then both parties benefit."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25347349

WhiteJC

Preview: Everton vs. Fulham

Everton will be looking to get the better of a resurgent Fulham when they host the London outfit at Goodison Park in the Premier League on Saturday.

While Roberto Martinez's side have been impressive so far this season, collecting 28 points from 15 matches and climbing up to fifth, Fulham picked up their first win since October 21 last weekend.

The Cottagers' 2-0 home win against Aston Villa was new manager Rene Meulensteen's first success in charge and saw them move up the table to 18th on 13 points.

It was also Fulham's first victory in eight matches and halted a run of seven defeats in a row, leading to suggestions that the London club may finally have turned the corner.

However, inflicting the first home defeat of the season on the Toffees will be no mean feat, especially as the Merseyside team have beaten Manchester United and held Arsenal to a draw both on their travels in their last two matches.

Everton will be without the suspended James McCarthy, while left-back Leighton Baines is still a fortnight away from full fitness.

Tony Hibbert is struggling with a minor knock and will not recover in time for Saturday's encounter, while Arouna Kone and Darron Gibson are long-term absentees.

Fulham are likely to have striker Darren Bent in their starting lineup, although Fernando Amorebieta remains doubtful.

Recent form

Everton: DDDWWD

Fulham: LLLLLW

Possible starting lineups

Everton: Howard; Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Oviedo; Osman, Barry; Mirallas, Barkley, Pienaar; Lukaku

Fulham: Stekelenburg; Riether, Senderos, Hughes, Riise; Sidwell, Parker, Karagounis; Bent, Berbatov, Kacaniklic

Sports Mole says: 2-1

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/everton/preview/preview-everton-vs-fulham_123890.html

WhiteJC

Meulensteen pleased with Fulham progress

An improved performance in defeat to Tottenham was followed by a win over Aston Villa to end a six-game losing streak and move the Cottagers off the bottom of the table

Rene Meulensteen hopes victory over Aston Villa can be the turning point for Fulham as they look to escape the Premier League bottom three.

The Dutchman replaced compatriot Martin Jol as boss in the midst of a six-game losing run in the Premier League, but hopes they can now put that behind them, having gotten back to winning ways.

Meulensteen hopes a possible three points will give them the boost in confidence lift they need to continue to climb up the table.

"Good performances build confidence, good results build confidence and the team is in very good spirits," he said ahead of their trip to Everton on Sunday.

"It's a process, which I've explained to the players. It's not something that's easy to turn on and off, but do the basic things right, build from there and hopefully more good results will come our way.

"It's too early to say [if Fulham have turned a corner] but we made a good start."

Meulensteen has been pleased with the way they have adapted to his style of coaching and expects further improvements to come.

"The players have responded really well," he added. "What I've done is make sure we establish the basic ingredients for any performance which means that it's always based on work rate and commitment.

"If that's not there, you can be the best players in the world but you won't get any results. That's what I wanted to establish first. My style, being Dutch, is based on good possession play, but with an attacking intent.

"So hopefully, in time to come, I can blend that style into the Fulham team but, like I said, that's a process that takes a bit of time."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/12/12/4474574/-?