watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We miss Schwarzer

Started by sparkles_moh, December 14, 2013, 09:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Schwarzer - decent goalkeeper nowadays although getting on a bit. Occasionally gets a game for Chelsea when Cech doesn't feel like it.

He used to play for us, you know - and damn good he was, too, although obviously deteriorating towards the end.

On the subject of our present goalkeepers, I note that Marcus Bettinelli, who would be our number 4 (or 5) keeper, saved a second penalty in successive matches on Saturday.

RaySmith

I think it was a mistake letting Schwarz go, he still had at least a season in him - look at how many times he saved us in his last season, including all those pen saves.

Stek is a top keeper - has made some great saves, and his distribution is excellent, and far better than Mark's.....but, I don't think he is as reliable as Mark generally.

As said, though - he is our current keeper and Mark is history - we need to get fully behind Stek now.

Jack Fulham

Good player, do we really miss him?

No. The problem is not in goal.

HatterDon

Quote from: cmg on December 18, 2013, 09:40:00 AM
Schwarzer - decent goalkeeper nowadays although getting on a bit. Occasionally gets a game for Chelsea when Cech doesn't feel like it.

He used to play for us, you know - and damn good he was, too, although obviously deteriorating towards the end.

On the subject of our present goalkeepers, I note that Marcus Bettinelli, who would be our number 4 (or 5) keeper, saved a second penalty in successive matches on Saturday.

That's good news.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jmh

I don't see how we can:

On one hand bemoan the fact that, in recent years, we've relied on loans and free transfers in order to avoid paying big transfer fees, resulting in the squad getting older rather than younger as Jol was charged with doing;

While, on the other hand, complaining about the fact that we paid a transfer fee, but not an exorbitant one, for an established top-tier player who's ten years younger than the guy he was replacing, and at least at a comparable skill level, arguably even better. 

wolfie

i do miss him, but we did need to look elsewhere to get someone younger

sunburywhite

AS I have said before look at how good Steck is at pushing the ball away from an on rushing forward. He is a great shot stopper (he may not command the area like goal keepers used to but these days with all the blocking off it isn't easy to do that)
You look at how many time MS palmed the ball back into a danger are
Stecks by a country mile for me
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Scrumpy

Quote from: sunburywhite on December 18, 2013, 09:10:42 PM
AS I have said before look at how good Steck is at pushing the ball away from an on rushing forward. He is a great shot stopper (he may not command the area like goal keepers used to but these days with all the blocking off it isn't easy to do that)
You look at how many time MS palmed the ball back into a danger are
Stecks by a country mile for me
Disagree, I'm afraid. Why can't he catch the bloody thing rather than parry it all the time? Everton's 2nd and 3rd goals would not have been scored if he had just held the ball and smothered it. I still support the fella, but MS was better in my book.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Julius Geezer

Quote from: sunburywhite on December 14, 2013, 10:01:25 PM
Stekkers is streets ahead. Just watch how strong he is when palming a shot away. He PUSHES it wide away from the danger zone.
Precisely.

Schwarzer had a terrible habit of parrying average shots into dangerous areas.

Seems like Stockdale caught this disease too.