more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Peter O'Toole passes away

Started by RidgeRider, December 15, 2013, 06:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25393557#TWEET985538

Actor Peter O'Toole, who starred in Sir David Lean's 1962 film classic Lawrence of Arabia, has died aged 81, his agent has said.

He died on Saturday at London's Wellington hospital in London after a long illness, his agent added, saying he was "one of a kind in the very best sense and a giant in his field".

The Irish-born star got his big break when Sir David cast him as British adventurer T E Lawrence.

He received an honorary Oscar in 2003.

Riotous behaviour
He had initially refused to accept the award. In a letter he asked the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to delay it until he was 80, saying he was "still in the game and might win the bugger outright".

Lawrence of Arabia earned him the first of eight Oscar nominations, with others coming for such films as Becket, The Lion in Winter and Goodbye, Mr Chips.

Other performances included leading Shakespearean parts, comic roles in adaptations of PG Wodehouse and his famed starring role in Keith Waterhouse's stage play Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell.

O'Toole also had a reputation for riotous behaviour following bouts of drinking, but in the mid-70s he was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was warned by medics that more alcohol would prove fatal.

He had yards of his intestinal tubing - "most of my plumbing" - removed and he gave up drinking.

Last July, he said he was retiring from the stage and screen, at the age of 79.

After a career spanning 50 years O'Toole said: "I bid the profession a dry-eyed and profoundly grateful farewell.

"The heart for it has gone out of me," he added. "It won't come back".

However, last month it was announced he was being lined up for a role as a Roman orator in Katherine of Alexandria, a film scheduled for release next year.

WhiteJC

he was one of my most wished for "dinner guests" RIP  9739.gif

win-dup

Presumably he will get a minutes applause as a mark of respect at our next home game? Might as well as everyone else seems to. Ludicrous.

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: win-dup on December 15, 2013, 08:59:02 PM
Presumably he will get a minutes applause as a mark of respect at our next home game? Might as well as everyone else seems to. Ludicrous.

Blimey, I actually think you might overtake me in the FOF Witch Hunt.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: win-dup on December 15, 2013, 08:59:02 PM

Oh no !!!!!

Berserker

Ah T E Lawrence, bit of an enigma, saw his Brough a while ago, still to visit Clouds hill though. Beautiful film,  Peter O'toole great in it as was Omar Sharif
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cmg

An actor deserving of the epithet 'great'. He lived a full and interesting life.

Although rightly lauded for 'Lawrence of Arabia' I'd say he was even better in 'Becket' in which he (as Henry II) and Burton (as Thomas Becket) were a mesmerising double act in an excellent movie. The fact that he and Burton were both nominated for the leading actor Oscar probably meant that neither could win it.

Like many brilliant actors, he also managed to appear in some right garbage.

ron

I can offer the highest accolade that can be afforded in Chilterns parlance; "He was a good old boy" 9739.gif

MisfitKid

9739.gif RIP  9739.gif

One of my favorite movie quotes is from My Favorite Year.  His character is drunk and goes into a women's restroom, a women screeches "This is for ladies only!" - He nonchalantly unzips his fly and retorts: "So is THIS, madam, but every now and then I must run a little water through it!"   :021:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Forever Fulham

Excellent actor.  Last saw him in "Venus".  Outstanding. 

The Equalizer

Lawrence is up in my top ten favourite films of all time. A beautiful, and astonishing film. O'Toole is simply perfect in the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNElueJj_w
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Sniffer

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 16, 2013, 08:24:37 PM
Excellent actor.  Last saw him in "Venus".  Outstanding. 

Brilliant performance in that film
"Numquam Cede"

Jack Fulham

'Lawrence of Arabia' is a masterpiece, I remember watching that when I was younger and was absolutely mesmorised. They don't make films like that any more. I also watched 'My favorite year' tonight, another brilliant performance from O'Toole.