Main Menu

AVB Sacked

Started by westcliff white, December 16, 2013, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cottage cheese

Quote from: JBH on December 16, 2013, 12:26:42 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on December 16, 2013, 11:11:03 AM
I feel for the bloke.

He's managed the two worst teams in the league to manage. The most hands-on, impatient chairmen.

Well done Levy. Can't help himself but bring in any player he likes the look of then blames the manager when he can't make a team out of them.

Nobody forced him to take the job's so I have no sympathy whatsoever especially as he will get a big pay off despite him being a failure  :doh:

Woudnt go as far as calling him a failure  fp.gif

The team has just sold their best player in years and bought in a large number of players under the control of Levy and not AVB. I doubt anyone would do any better currently.

PokerMatt

Quote from: cottage cheese on December 16, 2013, 12:53:05 PM
I feel for the bloke.

He's managed the two worst teams in the league to manage. The most hands-on, impatient chairmen.

Well done Levy. Can't help himself but bring in any player he likes the look of then blames the manager when he can't make a team out of them.

Nobody forced him to take the job's so I have no sympathy whatsoever especially as he will get a big pay off despite him being a failure  :doh:

The team has just sold their best player in years and bought in a large number of players under the control of Levy and not AVB. I doubt anyone would do any better currently.

Yes, exactly my point.

Look at their squad. A bunch of individuals and not a team.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

FFC1987

I feel for the bloke.

Nobody forced him to take the job's so I have no sympathy whatsoever especially as he will get a big pay off despite him being a failure  :doh:

Woudnt go as far as calling him a failure  fp.gif

Oh please. AVB picked the teams, ran the tactics. Levy may have plucked for the players in the transfer market but ultimately its AVB's challenge to form them into a team. He started off badly and has paid the price for it. I blame the players personally but AVB can't be devoid of blame.

Side note: I think he should have been given time but with there squad, they shouldn't be conceding 4+ goals.

Burt

Quite a few Spurs folk here at work, and to a person they are saying that AVB should have been given more time, and that there is also an element of the players taking a long hard look at themselves as well as some have not been pulling their weight.

None of them were that keen when I reminded them that Martin Jol was available...

cottage cheese

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 16, 2013, 01:03:13 PM
I feel for the bloke.

Oh please. AVB picked the teams, ran the tactics. Levy may have plucked for the players in the transfer market but ultimately its AVB's challenge to form them into a team. He started off badly and has paid the price for it. I blame the players personally but AVB can't be devoid of blame.

Side note: I think he should have been given time but with there squad, they shouldn't be conceding 4+ goals.

Im just saying he cant be seen as failure as its not like they have been relegated etc. They are a few points of 5th which to me would be a good finish for them seeing the turnaround they had in the summer. Realistically they were never going to finish above the likes of City,Arsenal,Chelsea and Liverpool so 5th/6th is not bad or a failure....

Bassey the warrior

To be fair he has done a poor job this season. Much like Jol his side have often been too conservative going forward and playing a high line at the back without the required organisation. Can't really argue with his dismissal.

F(f)CUK

From what I have heard (Chelsea days) AVB managed to wind everyone up and was universally disliked. I imagine he has managed to alienate many people at Spurs and it is this that has led to his downfall with the first reduction in performance

St Eve

He did spend 100 million and some were even tipping Spurs to win the league. At least top 4. Getting thrashed 6-0 and 5-0 is unacceptable

God The Mechanic

I'm sure I read somewhere that some mediocre club decided against appointing him way back when cos he used terminology that was too technical for anyone to understand.  He'd likely do quite well in Italy, where tactics and meticulous detail are somethin to be admired.

ALso, dude's gotta be filthy rich after the payoffs from Chelsea and Spurs.

Pluto

Unbelievably poor decision considering the poor alternatives available to them, and the fact that they overhauled the squad so radically in the summer. What manager has ever sold their best player, brought in ten new signings and had them immediately gel into a title winning side? They needed time. He's also looked impressive in the cups, and they're far from adrift in the league.

Furby

Quote from: God The Mechanic on December 16, 2013, 05:22:44 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that some mediocre club decided against appointing him way back when cos he used terminology that was too technical for anyone to understand.  He'd likely do quite well in Italy, where tactics and meticulous detail are somethin to be admired.

I doubt money is what drives him in his career. After two high profile sackings since he left Porto, I reckon his reputation is more important than money at this moment in time. Of course he'll get another good job in a top league, but I doubt another top team in the Premiership will have him and any other team will be too small for him in my opinion.

Furby

Quote from: Pluto on December 16, 2013, 06:25:22 PM
Unbelievably poor decision considering the poor alternatives available to them, and the fact that they overhauled the squad so radically in the summer. What manager has ever sold their best player, brought in ten new signings and had them immediately gel into a title winning side? They needed time. He's also looked impressive in the cups, and they're far from adrift in the league.

I totally agree, but a few of my mates are Spurs fan and were even talking about not going while he's still in charge. (sound familiar?)

Jamie Redknapp was quoted to say "Having seen the team that was built - you look at Gareth Bale on the wing - and you've ended up with players who aren't in the same league." Err no sh*t Sherlock!! Only Ronaldo, Ribery or Robben would be of the same quality winger.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Furby on December 16, 2013, 06:31:10 PM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on December 16, 2013, 05:22:44 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that some mediocre club decided against appointing him way back when cos he used terminology that was too technical for anyone to understand.  He'd likely do quite well in Italy, where tactics and meticulous detail are somethin to be admired.

I doubt money is what drives him in his career. After two high profile sackings since he left Porto, I reckon his reputation is more important than money at this moment in time. Of course he'll get another good job in a top league, but I doubt another top team in the Premiership will have him and any other team will be too small for him in my opinion.

Not suggesting he's driven by money, but the payoff will soften the blow :P  It wouldn't surprise me if Spurs go for Conte and he ends up at Juve to replace him.  Or maybe Dortmund if somehow Spurs convince Klopp to leave.  I'd wager there are a fair few teams in leagues where money isn't the be all end all for success who would be willing to take him on.

Forever Fulham

In the competing narratives regarding Dempsey's departure from Fulham and later Spurs, perhaps Jol's and AVB's firings will cause some to reflect a bit more.

Wingnut

Not surprised by this sacking at all. Spurs are a crazy club these days. It will be interesting to see who gets the job. Hiddink and Michael Laudrup are out of the running already. Both are far too smart to touch that job.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someone like Benitez took the job. Napoli are out of the CL and they won't win the league.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Ichabod Magoo

Apparently Dandy Dan thinks AVB was the problem and not Baldini.  I tend to think AVB was more at fault, but Baldini has to take a decent portion of the blame unless AVB asked for 25 (or whatever the number) midfielders to be brought in.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

FFC1987

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 16, 2013, 09:00:06 PM
In the competing narratives regarding Dempsey's departure from Fulham and later Spurs, perhaps Jol's and AVB's firings will cause some to reflect a bit more.

Yes of course. We all forgot that once Demps leaves, all teams are a shadow of there former self without the glacticos.