watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I have doubts on the transfer window.

Started by bobby01, December 16, 2013, 11:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

We were told we got everyone we went after in the summer, Boateng was chased for a long time now maybe to go on loan but has largely been anonymous, amborietta out of favour, zero tic out of favour, bent out of favour. Taraabt out of favour, added. To Ruiz out of favour, and  Berba playing for a move, it hardly inspires me with confidence based on recent signings . We have needed a decent left back since pre konchesky days and knew we needed a creative midfielder in the Bullard Murphy days but have still not redressed that situation, so whoever is employed to target recruitment of players is doing a poor job so far.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

JackyFulham90

I expect Berbatov & Riise to stay, Rene clearly doesn't see Ruiz, Taarabt or Boateng as part of his future plans so they may move on in January

Victor Meldrew

It worries me why Jol was chasing Boateng for 2 seasons, it really does. He was/is a player with not a lot else that adds anything to the squad. I suppose this just goes hand in hand with the guy being out of touch for so long.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: bobby01 on December 16, 2013, 11:51:37 AM
We were told we got everyone we went after in the summer, Boateng was chased for a long time now maybe to go on loan but has largely been anonymous, amborietta out of favour, zero tic out of favour, bent out of favour. Taraabt out of favour, added. To Ruiz out of favour, and  Berba playing for a move, it hardly inspires me with confidence based on recent signings . We have needed a decent left back since pre konchesky days and knew we needed a creative midfielder in the Bullard Murphy days but have still not redressed that situation, so whoever is employed to target recruitment of players is doing a poor job so far.

Boateng, Zverotic and Amorebieta were all Jol signings. Not marquee signings either. Hardly a bit issue that they haven't set the world alight.

Rene will have his own ideas, and connections. I believe it would be wise to trust him with a budget in January.

To say our recruitment team hasnt done well when we have the likes of Stekelenburg, Scott Parker, Berba and Darren Bent (albeit a Darren Bent who isnt making waves) is harsh to be say the least.

Max Headroom

The players looking to move on are the fringe players for Rene. If Taraabt, Ruiz and Boateng leave then there is no loss as they haven't been playing.

Amorebieta must be behind Senderos (under-rated) Hughes and Hangeland, but we did get him on a free transfer

I think Riise will stay, and I have no clue about Berbatov. This board seems to swing wildly with him, one day out, the next day in - sums him up perfectly. If he goes, then Ruiz might stay. He was average on saturday, still getting offside because he is lazy tracking back rather than going to early. One goal in open play is not exactly earth shattering form, although he does take a mean penalty.

Jol bought a lot of high risk players - Richardson (injury prone), Boateng (red card waiting to happen), Amore (ditto), Ruiz (lightweight), Berbatov (temperamental), Taraabt (high maintenance). Thankfully he didn't spend a fortune on them. He did buy some good players too!

If Berbatov goes, as he is on huge wages, it does leave room for more better players given the Financial Fair play rules coming in.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on December 16, 2013, 12:50:45 PM
We were told we got everyone we went after in the summer, Boateng was chased for a long time now maybe to go on loan but has largely been anonymous, amborietta out of favour, zero tic out of favour, bent out of favour. Taraabt out of favour, added. To Ruiz out of favour, and  Berba playing for a move, it hardly inspires me with confidence based on recent signings . We have needed a decent left back since pre konchesky days and knew we needed a creative midfielder in the Bullard Murphy days but have still not redressed that situation, so whoever is employed to target recruitment of players is doing a poor job so far.

Boateng, Zverotic and Amorebieta were all Jol signings. Not marquee signings either. Hardly a bit issue that they haven't set the world alight.

Rene will have his own ideas, and connections. I believe it would be wise to trust him with a budget in January.

To say our recruitment team hasnt done well when we have the likes of Stekelenburg, Scott Parker, Berba and Darren Bent (albeit a Darren Bent who isnt making waves) is harsh to be say the least.

Curious to understand why you classify those first three as Jol signings and the last four as the signings of "our recruitment team". Are we really to believe that the ones who "haven't set the world alight" are all down to Jol, but the ones who are showing well can be attributed to some team of folks that may or may not have included Jol?

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

RaySmith

Isn't it up to Berba whether he stays or not, and the club wants to keep him at least until his contract runs out at the end of the season?

jarv

I think Jol gets a C+ on transfers. If not for Berbatov last season would be F, if not for Ruiz could be B.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: jarv on December 16, 2013, 01:44:55 PM
I think Jol gets a C+ on transfers. If not for Berbatov last season would be F, if not for Ruiz could be B.

Jol's biggest downfall in the transfer department will be Ruiz's failure to make the impact that a 10 million pound player should make. Though, how many of us can honestly hold up our hand and say we weren't excited with that signing?

For any knowledgeable Fulham supporter though, it should be difficult to overlook the impact of players like Karagounis (moreso in attitude), Parker, Reither, Stekelenberg, Diarra (the season year he was healthy), Berbatov, and Pajtim Kasami. For what he was given to work with, transfers shouldn't be the first place one goes to criticize Jol.

I think he's better than a C+.

The Old Count

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 16, 2013, 02:20:13 PM

Jol's biggest downfall in the transfer department will be Ruiz's failure to make the impact that a 10 million pound player should make. Though, how many of us can honestly hold up our hand and say we weren't excited with that signing?

For any knowledgeable Fulham supporter though, it should be difficult to overlook the impact of players like Karagounis (moreso in attitude), Parker, Reither, Stekelenberg, Diarra (the season year he was healthy), Berbatov, and Pajtim Kasami. For what he was given to work with, transfers shouldn't be the first place one goes to criticize Jol.

I think Jol gets a C+
Unfortunately the C is plus U, N and T

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: The Old Count on December 16, 2013, 02:53:18 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 16, 2013, 02:20:13 PM

I think Jol gets a C+
Unfortunately the C is plus U, N and T

For what reason? It's not as if his intentions were to do Fulham in.

Max Headroom

I still think that Ruiz would have been good if we hadn't bought Berbatov. Ruiz plays the Berbatov role. Jol's failure was buying two expensive (one in transfer fees and the other in wages) players who play the same position and then making one of them play out of position.

On buying Berbatov, he should have sold Ruiz.

I feel sorry for Ruiz, I think he has been short changed. It's not like he doesn't try to defend, he just isn't very good at it.

alfie

We were told we got everyone we went after in the summer, Boateng was chased for a long time now maybe to go on loan but has largely been anonymous, amborietta out of favour, zero tic out of favour, bent out of favour. Taraabt out of favour, added. To Ruiz out of favour, and  Berba playing for a move, it hardly inspires me with confidence based on recent signings . We have needed a decent left back since pre konchesky days and knew we needed a creative midfielder in the Bullard Murphy days but have still not redressed that situation, so whoever is employed to target recruitment of players is doing a poor job so far.

It was said at the weekend by Rene that Amborietta will be back from injury soon, so not out of favour just out injured.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

David Allen Crankshaw

I would expect Berbatov to move in January and won't be unhappy if this was to happen. Bryan would possibly fit into the team a lot better if the temperamental one wasn't around. I'm mystified by the signings of Boateng and Taarabt who both failed to feature much under Martin and seem not to be in Rene's plans.

Riversider

People seem to have forgotten, or maybe didn't notice, that Jol said a week or so before he left that "" we have made a couple of exciting additions to the squad, but it can't say anything about them for another 3 or 4 weeks ""
I'm going to assume that one is Dempsey, and if I was betting man I would wager that the other will be Wilf Zaha on loan, if this was the case we would immediately pose more of a threat going forward, personally I would expect to see another 3 come in, one in midfield and two defenders,
Even then we are going to need a massive slice of luck in the second half of the season.

Bassey the warrior

Furby

Quote from: Riversider on December 16, 2013, 05:26:05 PM
People seem to have forgotten, or maybe didn't notice, that Jol said a week or so before he left that "" we have made a couple of exciting additions to the squad, but it can't say anything about them for another 3 or 4 weeks ""
I'm going to assume that one is Dempsey, and if I was betting man I would wager that the other will be Wilf Zaha on loan, if this was the case we would immediately pose more of a threat going forward, personally I would expect to see another 3 come in, one in midfield and two defenders,
Even then we are going to need a massive slice of luck in the second half of the season.

Yeah I remember him saying that, but took it with a pinch of salt as I believed it was another "I've turned down a few top European jobs to stay here" type quote, to try and get a bit more time in charge.

The only doubt I have is, Rene won't be looking for a new left back due to Riise's 'positive attitude'. I'm not a lover of Riise whatsoever and after having a good game against Villa and ok'ish game v Spurs he was back to his usual worst on Saturday.

But I've no doubt Rene will get us out of the relegation zone by January and we'll stay up.