Main Menu

Is this too little too late?

Started by Sgt Fulham, December 21, 2013, 08:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on December 21, 2013, 08:53:29 PM
Quote from: Fulham76 on December 21, 2013, 08:50:26 PM
Still only 1 point from safety.

Its not about how many points from safety right now, its about getting to the 40 point mark ASAP. I have not lost the faith, I just hope we have enough time to sort out the mess we've got our self into.

The fabled 40 point mark is simply a target, not an actual reality.

Remember, when there's two of you being chased by a tiger, you need not outrun the tiger, just outrun the person with you!!  Thus, we don't NEED 40 points, we need more points (or a better GD) than the team in 18th place.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on December 21, 2013, 08:53:29 PM
Quote from: Fulham76 on December 21, 2013, 08:50:26 PM
Still only 1 point from safety.

Its not about how many points from safety right now, its about getting to the 40 point mark ASAP. I have not lost the faith, I just hope we have enough time to sort out the mess we've got our self into.

Huh? It's almost certain you won't need 40 points to stay up this season. It's solely about how far from safety we are, and whether we can (eventually) put three teams below us. For all the horribleness of Jol and some bad luck (to go with a healthy dose of poor play), we're just one point out of 17th, and it appears there are (at least) six teams that will be fighting to avoid the drop.

Victor Meldrew

I'm not overly confident with a win up at Norwich. They're in the same boat as us, and have proved a few times this season that they CAN raise their game to get results. Firstly, this one is away from home, we don't travel well, their pitch is narrow, and their fans close are close to the pitch. For all we know, we could also be without Berbatov and Senderdros for this one. Once again, we might put in a half decent shift, but it will be like us to score 3 and then let in 4. Saying that, we seem to be Norwich's boogie team, they haven't beaten us for god know how long, but the way our luck is this season, that duck will most likely be broke.  

Logicalman

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 21, 2013, 09:55:02 PM
I'm not overly confident with a win up at Norwich. They're in the same boat as us, and have proved a few times this season that they CAN raise their game to get results. Firstly, this one is away from home, we don't travel well, their pitch is narrow, and their fans close are close to the pitch. For all we know, we could also be without Berbatov and Senderdros for this one. Once again, we might put in a half decent shift, but it will be like us to score 3 and then let in 4. Saying that, we seem to be Norwich's boogie team, they haven't beaten us for god know how long, but the way our luck is this season, that duck will most likely be broke.  

So, if we do get a result, by that I mean a point at least, will you stop your belly-aching negativity, even just for a couple of days? Go on, even the real Victor smiled once in a while!!  :wine:

MJG

38 should be enough this season. Less than that will be relegation almost certainly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Aaron

So long as what we're seeing now isn't some sort of flash in the pan, new manager syndrome short term gain thing, then I think we'll be fine.

We're playing considerably better than a lot of those around us right now and have a tasty, confidence building run of fixtures ahead of us.  We really do need to keep the pressure on though.  We can't afford another poor run.

ffc73

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on December 21, 2013, 09:47:51 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 21, 2013, 09:43:13 PM
Its not too late, but I truly believe if we don't get at least 2 wins and a draw in next four games that's us done and dusted. Any less than that forget it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I think we need to beat WHU and Sunderland especially as to leave them in the dirt.

Agree we both of the above.  + that only gets us in the mix.  We then have to continue to deliver results and not just improved performances to make sure 3 others finish below us. 

LBNo11

...at long last we are playing and we play with spirit and fight. It may not be enough, true, Jol may have already put paid to that, but we have a transfer window coming up to bolster our ageing, but rejuvenated squad, the fans are to some extent showing a bit more passion and together, if we remain positive in the face of adversity and mutually encourage each other we can at least enjoy ourselves and the fact that we can actually play football, and better than most...

KTF
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: Logicalman on December 21, 2013, 10:02:26 PM

So, if we do get a result, by that I mean a point at least, will you stop your belly-aching negativity, even just for a couple of days? Go on, even the real Victor smiled once in a while!!  :wine:

As much as you lot hate me, you have to admit that I am pretty spot on with my predictions. I don't class that as being negative, just realistic to the situation that we're currently in. This comes from a lifetime of studying the game, playing the game, coaching it and managing it. Fine, a lot of fans chose to see our current situation through rose tinted glasses, merely to try and cover up the fact that we're in a lot of trouble, but I'm a results type of guy, and will openly congratulate it when it happens. Until then, I don't find any joy in being unlucky or throwing away games, despite how much we've improved.    

ffc73

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 21, 2013, 10:18:29 PM
...at long last we are playing and we play with spirit and fight. It may not be enough, true, Jol may have already put paid to that, but we have a transfer window coming up to bolster our ageing, but rejuvenated squad, the fans are to some extent showing a bit more passion and together, if we remain positive in the face of adversity and mutually encourage each other we can at least enjoy ourselves and the fact that we can actually play football, and better than most...

KTF

Agree with this too!

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 21, 2013, 10:21:38 PM

So, if we do get a result, by that I mean a point at least, will you stop your belly-aching negativity, even just for a couple of days? Go on, even the real Victor smiled once in a while!!  :wine:

As much as you lot hate me, you have to admit that I am pretty spot on with my predictions. I don't class that as being negative, just realistic to the situation that we're currently in. This comes from a lifetime of studying the game, playing the game, coaching it and managing it. Fine, a lot of fans chose to see our current situation through rose tinted glasses, merely to try and cover up the fact that we're in a lot of trouble, but I'm a results type of guy, and will openly congratulate it when it happens. Until then, I don't find any joy in being unlucky or throwing away games, despite how much we've improved.    

Nogood "saying Realistic's back, isit" Boyo

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on December 21, 2013, 10:37:08 PM

So, if we do get a result, by that I mean a point at least, will you stop your belly-aching negativity, even just for a couple of days? Go on, even the real Victor smiled once in a while!!  :wine:

Nogood "saying Realistic's back, isit" Boyo

Or Ostrich Watch, I've been called many to date.

NogoodBoyo

Definitely not Ostrich, Victor - you talk about football too much.
Nogood "whoever you are, welcome back, isit" Boyo

Berserker

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on December 21, 2013, 10:43:44 PM
Definitely not Ostrich, Victor - you talk about football too much.
Nogood "whoever you are, welcome back, isit" Boyo

Definitely not enough shoe threads. Also we used to have some funny conversations about Raspberry plants dowm my allotment, Ostrich and I even got quoted in a Metro article.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Victor Meldrew

His thread about an oil painting of a war horse went on for months, if not years. 

Berserker

Which particular horse? Charge of the Light Brigade type thing? The unofficial official were warned by the alledged real OW legal reps not to talk about him. Maybe we should be careful
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: Berserker on December 21, 2013, 11:04:28 PM
Which particular horse? Charge of the Light Brigade type thing? The unofficial official were warned by the alledged real OW legal reps not to talk about him. Maybe we should be careful

I remember now, horses dying in the mud, and then there was drowning that pigeon in a bucket. Do I pass as a Fulham fan now?

Logicalman

I think if I hated you, you would definitely know it. :005:

I don't know you, but after a lifetime of studying, dealing with and encountering such negative people, I find those rose-tinted glasses you speak of provide me with a much healthier outlook on life, less stress, anger and life issues, without losing sight of the reality you mention.

My glass is always half-full (until I drink it and then refill)   :beer:  Do you still hate me? Please say its not so!!

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: mangoputney on December 21, 2013, 09:35:23 PM
I think we're completely reliant on west brom, west ham & Cardiff imploding

Doesn't help that Jol esque performances gifted them 3 pts & 1 pt already

Rose tinted specs but surely we must have one of lowest good performance to win ratios in the league

Fact we must be near top for conceding first, conceding most and conceding last makes my head think it's too late... Can't see us winning the required 75% of our six pointers

Until someone matches our poor home form, our loss rate and new found inability to never grind out a draw, I'm at least grateful that it's much better football

Excellent and cogent point although I think it especially applies since Rene took over.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Ichabod Magoo

Three of the four games Rene has been in charge have been at home.  The team put in a decent performance for 75 minutes in their lone road game, but I am anxious to see if they maintain their level at Norwich and Hull.  If they do, they have a chance for 2-4 points.  If not, it could get ugly.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III