watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Two glaring weaknesses in our squad

Started by HatterDon, December 22, 2013, 03:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

are in central defense and up front. With Senderos going off hurt today and Berbatov joining Dave on the injured list, I was wondering if we might improve our depth in those position by terminating the loan of Burn from Brum and Trotta from Brentford. I'm not saying that either of them are ready to start, but I'd rather see Burn off the bench than Amorebieta and Trotta would give us only our second out-and-out striker.

Just a thought.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

Agreed there Don. Was Kac on the injury list today?

HatterDon

No, the announcer said he was getting ready to come on but Rene decided to bring on Kasami instead. I figured that he went with Richardson as a left mid rather than Kaca at the start was because Richardson has better defensive bona fides.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

What I'm pleased about is that Rene is willing to use both Kas and Kac, and has brought JAR back in.  Ash makes a great difference, but overall, we need replacements for the Greek, Berba and ultimately Hughesie in January. We cannot keep going with the ageing squad.

Forever Fulham

Their third goal came from tired little Karagounis getting muscled off the ball, Hughes unable to keep up with the attacker, and Amorebieta a step too slow in getting in position to block the shot.  But for 77 minutes the passing and movement was terrific.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Their third goal came from the  excellent James Milner who had come off the bench.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: HatterDon on December 22, 2013, 03:51:30 AM
No, the announcer said he was getting ready to come on but Rene decided to bring on Kasami instead. I figured that he went with Richardson as a left mid rather than Kaca at the start was because Richardson has better defensive bona fides.

IMO Rene changed his mind  about the K's when he saw that  Citti  was putting  out  Jesús Navas

MJG

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 22, 2013, 05:35:18 AM
Their third goal came from tired little Karagounis getting muscled off the ball, Hughes unable to keep up with the attacker, and Amorebieta a step too slow in getting in position to block the shot.  But for 77 minutes the passing and movement was terrific.
Hughes was holding his position in the centre of the field and either dropped back on the man or left a wide open gap. he could not win either way.
You could also look at Reither who was caught up field but trotted back and should maybe have done better getting to the man.

This whole issue is about fitness and 30 plus year old full backs being asked to give width to the team.

tommy

I thought the only weaknesses in the team since Rene took over has having to play Man City, Spurs and Everton. We can improve in certain areas but this team is easily good enough to stay in this league.

FPT

No. Both players need games lower down. Dan Burn is still maturing as a centre back, thus making mistakes for quite a few goals this season. He needs consistency.

As for Marcello, he also needs guaranteed game time. With Hugo back in training and Berbatov's injury being only a slight knock, he's not needed. Anyway, Taarabt was fantastic today.

We need to give young players game time otherwise they will not develop. Give Amorebieta time, he's adapting to a new league. In Spain, he was the best centre back outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid at one time so writing him off will probably come out foolish.

callumc513

Quote from: KCat on December 22, 2013, 09:52:52 AM
Their third goal came from the  excellent James Milner who had come off the bench.

Glad someone else rates Milner, probably one of the prem's most effective/efficient players.

Max Headroom

I'm afraid I'm struggling with Riise. I just don't think he cuts it defensively, particularly in the last 20 minutes.

The old defence creaks in the last 20 minutes every time. We need some younger full backs although Reither and dejagah going forward is a joy to behold

jarv

Don, spot on with comment on Richardson.  It was sensible to play him in front of Riise, he looks more comfortable there, at both ends.
I think we need not one but two centre backs and a striker with pace. Midfield is covered .
Unfortunately decent centre backs and centre forwards don't come cheap, especially in January.
Next summer the full back situation can be sorted out. Maybe Briggs. Is he out or injured?

LordNelson

The January transfer window seems more critical now than in the past.  It will be interesting to see if the powers that be think we just need to shuffle the line up and adjust tactics or if they are serious about spending money to fix these weaknesses.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Berserker

I have more confidence in Rene knowing what is required than I did  in Jol
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

JackyFulham90

Stekelenburg
Riether Senderos Hangeland Riise
                  Parker Sidwell Dempsey
Dejagah                  Berbatov              Kacaniklic

Is probably the strongest side we have if Dempsey completes his loan move

alfie

Quote from: Berserker on December 22, 2013, 03:47:19 PM

A sort of yes and no on this point, because I believe Jol knew who he wanted but was not allowed the funds to get them, consequently he had to go for much cheaper options.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Berserker

You could be right there Alfie. Here's hoping the powers that hold the purse strings realise their possibly fatal error
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: Berserker on December 22, 2013, 03:47:19 PM

:54:  You and 99.6% of other fans.  Even Mrs Jol might agree with you.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III