watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How long before the excuses run out?

Started by Victor Meldrew, December 22, 2013, 04:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OdecaMynoT

By the end of the year we will have played half of this seasons premiership games.

If the points threshold is 40pts that means over the next 21 games we have to cobble together 27pts,the equivalent of 9 wins.

On current form that goal is way beyond achievement.( 8 defeats from our last 9)

Our goal difference doesn't lie either. The 3 teams with the worse goal difference are in the bottom 3.

Nothing short of a miracle is going to turn this situation around.(Another one)

Being a Fulham fan comes with the shadow of pessimism never far away. This season the shadow seems to be overbearing.

I can only hope I'm wrong.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

Peabody

I am afraid to say Victor that I think the only thing we need is to get rid of your continued negativity. We are all aware of our situation, we all fully understand that we need to pick up some positive results. What we need now is for people to get behind the team. You have proved over the short time you have been on here, is that nothing FFC can do will please you. So please, lighten up and get behind the team.

mullers

I actually think the future's bright. I believe we are three years behind Southampton in bringing young players through. This has been a weakness at the club for some years now and the the last two managers talked about giving academy players a chance then did nothing. If Rene and the club approach this seriously then should relegation happen the club would still have an opportunity to really bring its own players though.

How many youngsters have left us in the premiership years and built careers in the game when with a bit more support and time they might have got closer to their potential by staying at the Cottage? We never gave them much of a chance in my opinion. If we can keep some quality and experience then we can do well wherever we are by developing them. The framework is still in place.

Andy S

Victor Meldrew Rome was not built in a day and even if there is going to be a recovery neither will that be either. My advice would be leave those that are paid to look after team affairs to do so and should it all go wrong we know who to blame......Jol

Yarden

This guy is just trying to piss people off. Probably not even a Fulham fan.

YoungsBitter

The prior form is not a relevant comparison for the challenge ahead, RM has only been here for 4 games and the level of play has been a step function better with the same squad. 3 of those 4 games we did lose but against massively deep and expensive squads who are expected to be top 6 or better. In those 3 games the score and the resulting goal difference flattered the opposition and highlights some age issues and arguably a goalie concentration issue.
I think the future is indeed bright and after the next 4 games we will be out of bottom 3 as we not only can beat all 4 teams but RM believes it and will instill that belief in the squad. Taraabt and Richardson are now back and playing like their talent says they should be able to, add into the mix the midfield diamond of Kara, Sidwell and Parker and the mercurial Berba, Riether and Dejegah on song on the right why would you not think we can beat the likes of Hull, Norwich, Wet Spam and Sunderland?
Quark, strangeness and charm

leonffc

At least if we go down we will do so having had shots on target, a bit of flair and a lot more fight.
We must have had more shots under Rene so far than Jols regime managed all season so let's remain positive and get behind the likeable Dutchman.

fulhams_finest

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on December 22, 2013, 04:14:02 PM
Excuses will run out at 5:00pm on Saturday 11th January, after the Sunderland home game.

If by that point we haven't got a good enough haul of points from our games against Norwich, Hull, West Ham and Sunderland, we will then know that we are a terrible team and not just a decent team who happened top come up against better opponents.

The next 4 games, we CANNOT afford to come away with anything less than 9 points in my view

So True

Fulham1959

Mr. Meldrew, you should be a motivational speaker and Rene should employ you without delay.  064.gif

Whilst I agree that the next 4 games are important, a poor points pickup will not necessarily mean relegation.  That's simple arithmetic v. pessimism. 

Football is a funny game.  Teams often hit bad patches for no apparent reason and come out of them in the same way.  The situation also depends a lot on how the other contenders for relegation perform.  I can only think that Rene is currently working overtime in relation to the transfer window, so a lot can change in a short time for good or for bad.

Weren't Newcastle 10 points clear at the top in the early part of 1995 (or 1996) and what happened ?  Won't managers of relegation candidates being saying in March, "As long as it's mathematically possible, I remain positive".

Thank goodness the prevailing mood on this board remains positive.  I just hope that the belief continues for the next 6 weeks or so as it must if the team continues to perform with the heart shown in the last 4 games.

COYW !

Denver Fulham

The excuses end Thursday, and anything less than eight points from the next four league matches would be disappointing and possibly deadly come May.

Ichabod Magoo

If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

JBH

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 22, 2013, 04:00:42 PM
Like Rene' said on Saturday, we now have to start turning some of these performances into points.

He's right, it's all fair and well playing like we are, but if we keep losing and shipping 3 to 4 goals a game, what then?

At the moment, I can buy the fact that we're not getting the rub of the green, and when you're down there, things don't tend to go your way but..

Set pieces, horrendous defending, old tired legs and conceding early / late on have been a problem for us even before Rene' took charge.

I keep looking around the forum and seeing things like " We shouldn't be 4-1 down", "We didn't deserve that", "The score line doesn't reflect on how we played" and the best of all "We were unlucky".

These excuses are all fine, early on, but at the end of the day, this is a results industry and won't get you points. The Premier League is very unforgiving.

So, my question is, if we don't start to pick up the points as of now, how long will it be before these excuses run out?  092.gif

When Roy took over from the Mexican we still had extremely poor form for the first 5-6 games and we looked shakey at the back then until he brought a certain Brede Hangeland in the January Transfer window so give it a rest and give Rene and his team a bloody chance :028:

RaySmith

As long as the team keeps performing as it has done, the points will come.

We just need to get behind them every game, even if results  aren't going our way.

But we do have a good chance of avoiding the drop - but fans must remain positive and cheer the team on, and not create an atmosphere of tension at home games, but one of 'we can win this' right from kick off.

Berserker

The important thingcis to get behind the team. If they stay fighting to avoid relegation we must be encouraging them on
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

Rene will be privately and realistically aware that any points from the Tottenham, Everton and Man City games would have been a bonus. We could easily have had one from each and, in my view, certainly deserved one from two of the games. Under Jol that would not have been the case.

Now that those most difficult games are out of the way, Rene will also be acutely aware that the next few games are make or break. Not only should we aspire to get at least a point from all of them but the way we've been playing he'll have us trying to win. These are the crucial games against the teams around us - lose and we not only stay where we are but they move further away.

I don't recall ever hearing an excuse from Rene at all but I do agree that we'll have a much better idea what the future holds at final whistle on Jan 11th.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Slaphead in Qatar

We are playing 500% better than under jol and we have a good chance of survival.

But 2 things need to be sorted out in transfer window:

1. Defence is worst in league.Need a central defender and left back.
2. We are badly tiring in last 15 mins. We need to buy some younger players especially in midfield.