News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR:Why do announcers call him Yaya Toure when his kit clearly reads Toure Yaya?

Started by ToodlesMcToot, December 22, 2013, 04:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

I have been really curious about this for some time, but never read why.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

PokerMatt

His name is Yaya Toure isn't it?

I guess it being the other way around comes from when Kolo and Yaya were there and that's the way they decided it to be?
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Victor Meldrew

This is where football has gone horribly wrong. Back in the day, you were told what to wear and how to wear it. The player has far to much power these days, obviously something that has come with the money. It's like Ruiz, who prefers to have Bryan on the back of his shirt, simply because he doesn't like his old man. Bottom line is, that's his name, and that's what should be on his shirt.

cmg

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 22, 2013, 04:49:13 PM
This is where football has gone horribly wrong. Back in the day, you were told what to wear and how to wear it. The player has far to much power these days, obviously something that has come with the money. It's like Ruiz, who prefers to have Bryan on the back of his shirt, simply because he doesn't like his old man. Bottom line is, that's his name, and that's what should be on his shirt.

Haha! Excellent. Good one. All we need do is remove the names from the back of the shirts and all football's problems are solved.
Obvious - innit?

Actually different cultures have different naming conventions. Neither Hispanic nor Eastern European cultures have the same simple 'Given name - Surname' convention that we follow. Ruiz's name, for instance, is Bryan Jafet Ruiz González. Many Asian cultures, Korean for instance, are different again.

Best name in football (and the player I would chose as a Chrissie present for FFC) - Thiago Alcântara do Nascimento

Victor Meldrew

Quote from: cmg on December 22, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

Haha! Excellent. Good one. All we need do is remove the names from the back of the shirts and all football's problems are solved.
Obvious - innit?

Actually different cultures have different naming conventions. Neither Hispanic nor Eastern European cultures have the same simple 'Given name - Surname' convention that we follow. Ruiz's name, for instance, is Bryan Jafet Ruiz González. Many Asian cultures, Korean for instance, are different again.

Best name in football (and the player I would chose as a Chrissie present for FFC) - Thiago Alcântara do Nascimento

Ruiz wears the name Bryan on the back of his shirt because his Dad walked out on the family when he was 5. Since then, he's refused to promote it, nothing to do with different cultures or Hispanic what not. 

Fullofham

Quote from: Victor Meldrew on December 22, 2013, 06:06:11 PM
Quote from: cmg on December 22, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

Obvious - innit?

Ruiz wears the name Bryan on the back of his shirt because his Dad walked out on the family when he was 5. Since then, he's refused to promote it, nothing to do with different cultures or Hispanic what not. 

This is just his first name, not some crazy nickname or farce. Trying to understand the argument--force Ruiz to put "Ruiz" on his jersey, in spite of his arguably justifiable reason for disliking his last name, and he'll what? Play better? Be more inspired? Be stronger and able to cut it in the PL?

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 22, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
My understanding is, in French, surname is always written first, therefore, as he is from a French-speaking country, it's Toure Yaya on his shirt.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

Nero

Big Martin Jol

I thought it might just be to distinguish him from his brother whilst they were both playing at City.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Ichabod Magoo

Rampant unabashed dyslexia.  My apologies to those have who it.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Fernhurst

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 22, 2013, 04:38:48 PM

Stop watching the game in the mirror Toddles!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: Big Martin Jol on December 22, 2013, 10:37:13 PM
I thought it might just be to distinguish him from his brother whilst they were both playing at City.

I think you are right !

EJL

Aaron

His name is Gnégnéri Yaya Touré and with his family and mates he goes by "Yaya" so commentators are correct to address him as they do.

I'd imagine it's just a personal preference or maybe to distinguish him from his brother anyways, they both play for their national team so maybe the shirt thing stems from there?

I have never seen (or heard) of a French person who uses their second name first, but that's quite common in parts of Asia, Korea is a good example:

Kim Il-Sung
Kim Jong-Il
Kim Jong-un

Family name is always first there, it's spoken and written that way and generally reflected on their shirts.

Brazilian and Portuguese names are different again as you use the surnames of both your mother and your father and those names can be double barreled as well.  So instead of Wright-Phillips you could have Wright-Phillips-Smith-Thompson which doesn't fit on a shirt.. How do you decide which parent and/or grandparents you want to offend by leaving off the back of your shirt?  It's easier just to use "Fred" or something I suppose.

Could be worse if you're Sri Lankan..

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas anyone?

The Equalizer

Quote from: Aaron on December 23, 2013, 02:42:25 AM
Could be worse if you're Sri Lankan..

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas anyone?

There's a fine reason to address someone by 'mate'.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Chesh

This is where football has gone horribly wrong.  Bottom line is, that's his name, and that's what should be on his shirt.

Is there anything you will not moan about just to get some attention?

First of all please stop making crass comments about something you clearly haven't researched i.e. why Ruiz prefers to not have his father's name on his shirt), and secondly if something like this really bothers you so much (yeah right!),  please post these over the top opinions as just that, rather than some angry statement of fact.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

PokerMatt

Follow me: @mattdjourno

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 23, 2013, 12:16:51 PM
Horribly wrong? Haha.

I think this is a little worse than a player being able to choose what to have on their shirt.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/you-dirty-diver-man-uniteds-adnan-januzaj-is-booked-for-a-horror-flop-v-west-ham-vine-video/

There goes whatever little sympathy Moyes was able to drum up to "protect" young Adnan.

Thanks, by the way, for the answer(s) to the Yaya mystery.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude