more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (23/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 23, 2013, 03:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen sees lost points against Manchester City

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen believes that his side squandered the initiative after coming back from two goals down against Manchester City at Craven Cottage yesterday.

The Dutchman was pleased with how his team mounted a second-half comeback after goals from Yaya Toure and Vincent Kompany had put the visitors ahead at the break.

Jesus Navas and James Milner won the points late on for City, leaving the Cottagers in the bottom three over Christmas.

"At half time we really assured ourselves by saying 'listen, we're sitting here 2-0 down from two set-plays, but making sure that playing-wise we are giving a good account for ourselves, and if we can claw one goal back we can get back into it' and that's what we did," Sky Sports News quotes Meulensteen as saying.

"We had a little bit of a similar scenario away to Everton; we get the equaliser, it's 1-1. Stabilise yourself, just give yourself a bit of breathing space, knock the ball about and that third chance would have come without a shadow of a doubt because we were positive as much as we could be.

"But then to lose a third goal, which is avoidable, that is very disappointing, it makes all the good work undone."

Fulham have won one and lost eight of their last nine games in the Premier League.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/meulensteen-sees-lost-points_125958.html

WhiteJC

QPR U18 v Fulham U18

FA Youth Cup 3rd Round

Team: Smith, Furlong, Kakay, Butler, Wise, Kpekawa, Young, Comley, Beckles, Mitchell, Grego-Cox.
Substitutes: Herdman, Mitford, Pattie, Haran, Corkery

Fulham came into this 3rd round tie at Loftus Road top of the Barclays Premier League table (South) so we knew it was going to be a tough encounter. Steve Gallen had to re-shuffle his side as he was without Andreas Komodikis and Olamide Shodipo who had both picked up injuries in the previous league game against Millwall.

Rangers forced some early chances with the Fulham keeper, Marek Rodak, looking a little shaky at times. Brandon Comley had a couple of efforts blocked, Darnell Furlong's diving header was deflected wide following good work by Reece Grego-Cox and Ryan Young's shot was cleared off the line after their keeper fumbled.

The visitors were playing a very neat, precise game and took the lead after 20 minutes following a foul by Cole Kpekawa just outside the box. Up stepped the Fulham No.19, Emerson Hyndman, who bent his free kick over the Rangers wall and into the corner of the net.

Fulham were now in the ascendancy and doubled their lead 5 minutes later through Dean O'Halloran from close range. The visitors had another very good opportunity, but it was the R's who got the vital third goal after 35 minutes when the Fulham defence failed to clear a corner and Harly Wise was on hand to force the ball home.

However, Fulham notched up their third goal of the night four minutes later. Just before the interval Ryan Young was booked and Mark Smith denied the visitors a fourth goal with a superb save from close range. Half-time: 1-3

A couple of minutes after the break, Ben Beckles forced his way through after Fulham had lost possession, but Marek Rodak was able to make a comfortable save.
The visitors were once again looking very dangerous with good movement coupled with some diagonal and defence splitting passes which paid dividends for them after 54 minutes. Jordan Evans neatly dispatched a through-ball from Patrick Roberts wide of the Rangers custodian.

Mark Smith went on to make a string of fine saves and Cole Kpekawa magnificently blocked a follow-up shot. But Rangers fought on and created some good chances of their own courtesy of Aaron Mitchell and Harly Wise.

Steve Gallen made two changes in the second-half with Tyrell Mitford replacing Reece Grego-Cox after 67 minutes and later Nathan Corkery was introduced at the expense of George Butler.

Rangers battled throughout, but Fulham deserved their place in the 4th Round. Two of the Fulham players that caught my eye were Soloman Sambou and Patrick Roberts.
Thanks to Joe English for the lift home.

Steve Russell

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2013/12/qpr-u18-v-fulham-u18/?

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham willing to sell Bryan Ruiz

Fulham are reportedly ready to sell forward Bryan Ruiz in January for a transfer fee of £10.5m.

According to the Sunday People, manager Rene Meulensteen needs to sell some of his players to make room in his 25-man squad for winter signings.

The report claims that the 28-year-old Costa Rican forward will be one of the players to be sold next month if an offer of over £10m is made.

Ruiz joined Fulham from Twente in 2011 but has failed to establish himself in the Premier League so far.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/report-fulham-willing-to-sell-ruiz_125933.html

WhiteJC

Adel: We'll Get The Points

After an impressive display against Manchester City, Adel Taarabt believes the points will come following some positive performances of late.

Adel Taarabt: We'll Get The Points

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/22/taarabt-reaction?

WhiteJC

Another Fixture, Same Result!

Our last eight Premier League fixtures have now seen Fulham lose seven of them.

There`s no denying that is, quite clearly, relegation form!

Although perhaps we should point out that since Martin Jol was shown the door and Rene Meulensteen took over, our performances have improved, there`s now more fight about the side and, going forward, more purpose to our play.

Following the 4-2 defeat to Manchester City, a defeat that was perhaps expected on paper, Meiulensteen spoke about our defence being the reason we didn`t get what we deserved from the game, commenting,

"Once again, we have not got what we deserved."

"Some of our defending was not good enough, particularly for the second goal, and at 2-2 I thought we could nick it."

And so did I but City, it has to be said, were a different class and now we`re pondering when our form can see an upturn in our fortunes, Christmas perhaps!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=342680#ixzz2oGZLfeC3

WhiteJC

I Was Wrong About Changing The Fulham Manager

When is the right time to change a manager? Well, for Fulham, I can say now that I wrong with the timing of the change. I wanted Martin Jol to be given more time, and give him until right around now before making a change. Under new manager Rene Meulensteen, this is a completely different team with the same players, and the change of manager is a huge factor to why I feel the club will not only survive but thrive the rest of the season.

will admit that I am slow sometimes when it comes to change in general. With Jol, I wanted him to have a chance to turn things around with the team he built at the beginning of the season. However, looking back at it now, his time to go maybe should have been earlier.

The Southampton match should have been the tipping point for me, because I watched a club that played as individuals, and were outplayed for ninety plus minutes. The Southampton game was the point when I started to feel that Jol had lost the team, and the players were not responding.

My nature is to give a person a chance to fix the issues they are having. However, looking back at it now, the biggest problem for Fulham back in late October was Jol. The players were running the club at that point, and he really lost control.

Jol is a fine manager, and I am sure will be a success someplace else, but he was not the right man for Fulham. He is a classic "players manager" that gives the players the freedom to express themselves, and just play. I don't think that this type of managerial style works at a club like Fulham.

When you are a smaller club, you can still attract high quality players like Dimitar Berbatov, but you can't have a team full of them like the larger clubs in the Barclays Premier League. So, I think playing together as a "team" with players that buy into a system can really work well at Fulham.

That brings us to the new manager, who really has transformed Fulham in just four matches. He has changed the culture, and the mentality of Fulham in such a short period of time.

It starts on the training ground, where Meulensteen has a reputation of being one of the best in the world of being a coach, and working with players the days leading up to the matches. It is obvious, he has prepared his team well going into the match.

Now, on to the matches, we have seen a Fulham club since he has been in charge, look more disciplined with the back four, a working triangle in central midfield, and width on either side that has been dangerous. We have also seen the threat of more scoring chances from the players up front. He has instilled a system that is working, and has put clubs like Everton, and Manchester City under pressure at times during the matches.

What we have also seen many players on the pitch playing with exceptional confidence. John Arne Riise, and Philippe Senderos look like two completely different players under Muelensteen. How about the play of Ashkan Dejagah or Giorgos Karagounis who has gotten chances to play once again and both have been extremely effective?

Now, as we move towards the rest of the season, the confidence that Fulham are playing with makes me feel strongly that the points will be coming, and they will be fast and furious. I really don't expect Fulham to be in the relegation zone or near it past February. The change in manager has convinced me that Fulham will push towards the top ten by the end of the season.

The club actually looks re-born under Meulensteen, and it makes my fear of change now look really silly. Sometimes change is needed, and I should have listened more to the Fulham supporters, who wanted that change sooner. Those supporters that wanted this change in manager earlier were right, and I was wrong.

Lastly, I want to mention that I am also the host of Cottage Talk, and I invite you to listen to the show, and here is the last episode below which is our post-match episode of the last match.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/12/22/5235036/i-was-wrong-about-changing-the-fulham-manager?

WhiteJC

No Berbatov And Fulham Struggled

Dimitar Berbatov suffered a groin problem on Friday, and Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen admitted he chose not to risk the Bulgaria striker with the busy festive schedule in mind.

Rene Meulensteen: "Unfortunately he kicked a ball wrongly in training which aggravated something in his groin as far as I'm aware.

"So we had a good look at it, we assessed him, and actually assessed him this morning as well.

"And unfortunately he was too big of a risk. With all the games coming up I didn't want to take the risk of having to start Berbatov in that position and maybe him have to come off and then you lose him for the other games."

Meulensteen said Fulham continued their trend of praiseworthy hard graft without reward.

He said: "It's the same story as the Spurs and Everton games.

"The goals that we concede, from set plays, it's not good enough defending, especially the one just before half time.

"I was hoping the experience would kick in a bit from some of these players, to steady the ship."

http://www.manchestercity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/no_berbatov_and_fulham_struggled_819460/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Colorado Rapids send three to Everton, one to Fulham for offseason seasoning in EPL environment

After a successful season in Colorado, the Rapids shipped off four of their young stars to England for some offseason grooming.

Goalkeeper Clint Irwin, midfielder Dillon Serna and defender Chris Klute were sent to Everton, while defender Shane O'Neill trained at Fulham, something the Rapids have done in years past in order to provide their young players training at the highest levels of international soccer.

"This is a great opportunity for our guys to get some extra training in during our offseason," said Rapids technical director Paul Bravo. "We all know Everton to be an excellent club, one that is fun to watch and enjoying an excellent run of form right now. It will be great for these young players to see how Everton trains and prepares, and for them to experience the culture in England."

Irwin in particular has been avidly tweeting about his experiences at Everton, saying Saturday: "Last day with @Everton done. I'd like to thank the club for having me over. Great experience and friendly people here!"

Irwin, Serna and Klute are expected to return on Sunday, while O'Neill's return date wasn't specified, but he is expected to be back in the next few days.

O'Neill's trip to Fulham wasn't arranged by the Rapids, but it is neither a trial nor a tryout, according a league source. The 20-year-old, who represented the U.S. over the summer at the U-20 World Cup in Turkey, is expected to return to Colorado in time for the holidays.

The Rapids sent four players to Derby County last season, but a coaching change at the club led to Colorado switching over to Everton this year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/12/22/colorado-rapids-send-three-everton-one-fulham-offseason-seasoning-epl-enviro?

WhiteJC

Whites season starts here

You don't need to be a football expert to determine Fulham's problems at present. Since Rene Meulensteen was handed the reins, the Whites have held parity with three far-superior teams going into the closing phase of all the defeats suffered since the ousting of Martin Jol.

It is simply expecting too much of this superannuated squad to hope we can get through 95 minutes of high-tempo football without being found out. In all three losses the opposition had the luxury of pushing on second-half substitutes, all of whom then scored.

Thus was the case Saturday as Fulham clawed their way back into the game against the Manchester City hot-shots, only to finish pointless yet again. For the fans then another encouraging step up in performance levels that leaves Meulensteen with plenty of positives to draw on post-match alongside praise from the press. Unfortunately, it does nothing to move the club out of the bottom three.

What a tall order it was going to be containing this vibrant City, currently on a run of eight wins and one draw -- including victories over Bayern Munich and Arsenal along the way. Imagine the pessimism among the faithful as we trudged up to the ground in heavy rain to hear Dimitar Berbatov had picked up a knock in training Friday and was not being risked.

Adel Taarabt was cast in the role of striker, asked by Rene to "make it stick, carry the ball and get some shots off." We know he's not the finished article, but how well he stuck to his task, turning in a sterling performance. In the first-half Fulham looked up for the fight -- that was until City 'phoned in a Friend.'

I was going to devote a piece to referees this week, having watched the appalling ineptitude of the officials at Liverpool. Lee Probert likes to be all touchy-feely with players when making easy or pedantic calls in midfield -- plenty of smiles and chat. Sadly this is the mask worn by your average self-serving politician, feet of clay but nowhere in sight when called to man up.

So it is with Mr. Probert. He cannot surely be blind to the constant manhandling of defenders carried out on Saturday by Martin Skrtel for every Cardiff set-piece? It is way too blatant for anybody to plead ignorance. Telling me every centre-back in the league does it in no way excuses the problem. When fans pay through the nose every week to watch such blatant cheating go unpunished the integrity of the sporting spectacle -- and the brand itself get tarnished. That's why I would never pay money for a WWE event. At least the punters there (I pray) realise it is all phony play-acting.

Likewise, just what Fulham did not need Saturday as they struggled to stay afloat, was referee Kevin Friend awarding a soft free-kick to City on the edge of the box, and then allowing our opponents to re-locate the ball to a more favourable angle, from which Yaya Toure scored. Bravo Kevin! We shall not forget.

For the second goal, and another set play, the Whites were found wanting at the back yet again this season. Martin Demichelis was not picked up -- I imagine Adel was the man designated to mark him; Fernando Amorebieta, not for the first time this season, was marking space in the box, and two minutes from the break City's lead doubled. No wonder Rene is scouting Europe for a new centre-back, (and let's not even mention Aaron Hughes' error for City's fourth).

Full marks to Fulham for creating a great riposte on the break to begin the fight-back. We haven't seen a goal like Kieran Richardson's at the Cottage in quite some time. If only games ended after 60 minutes. Currently the tide turns once the old legs give out on our Greek Warrior. How the previous manager assembled this side imagining they would have the stamina to go another 38 games in the toughest league in the world now beggars belief.

There are no easy games in the Premiership, as City manager Manuel Pellegrini acknowledged. Fulham left the field with their heads held high, the fans aware the side had given it their best shot. With this bunch you cannot ask more than that. Without resorting to name-calling, Fulham are just not good enough, and that is why they start the game at Norwich on Thursday in the bottom three.

But from Boxing Day onwards, there can be no more hard luck stories or heroic defeats. The season starts in earnest with the game at Carrow Road. From here on in, points are imperative.

There should be a review of the year later in the week (could you really stand it???) and an assessment of where Fulham need to strengthen in the market before the end of the month. But hey, it's Christmas. and anything can happen. If Santa read my wish list, I might be eloping with Nigella . . .

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1670?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Meulensteen upbeat despite defeat

Rene Meulensteen is optimistic a change in fortunes will soon come Fulham's way after a brave effort against Manchester City.

The Cottagers have lost nine of their last 10 games - the win over Aston Villa the anomaly - after Saturday's home defeat to City. Meulensteen's men fought back from 2-0 down to get themselves level again before the visitors edged ahead once again and eventually went on to win 4-2. Meulensteen said: "It's really hard for them to take, to put so much effort in and so much positivity in the way we play. "We never lost that spirit and I said, 'listen we're playing well enough, if we get one goal back and we get the crowd going, who knows what happens?' "It's just a shame when it gets to 2-2 that we didn't just steady the ship a little bit. I would've been very, very happy if it had finished 2-2. "We're all aware of what position we're in, but we also know that if we keep playing like this and if we keep producing this sort of energy we're eventually going to get the points we deserve. "At the moment we're conceding far too easily and too many goals and we don't take our chances that we get. "But these are things we can work on. But the core, the backbone of the performance is good." In the absence of Dimitar Berbatov, who picked up a groin injury in training on Friday, Adel Taarabt led the line. "He did exceptionally well," Meulensteen added. "Adel is a guy that is full of creativity and energy going forwards. We used him where he's good." Next Fulham travel to Norwich and Hull in matches which could see the momentum shift before the year's end. "There are a lot of positives to take into the games against Norwich and Hull," Meulensteen said.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/meulensteen-upbeat-despite-defeat-1683974.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kieran Richardson insists Cottagers' luck will change as crunch time festive fixtures approach

The Cottagers face a vital games against Norwich, Hull, West Ham and Sunderland over the Christmas period

Unlucky: Richardson is confident that the Cottagers will end their barren run
Clive Rose

Kieran Richardson promised the Fulham fans luck will turn their way soon.

New boss Rene Meulensteen has liberated the men he inherited from Martin Jol but despite scaring Manchester City, the Cottagers slipped to their eighth defeat in nine.

It means they head into showdown games against relegation rivals Norwich, Hull, West Ham and Sunderland with only the Wearsiders below them.

But ex-England man Richardson, who kick-started their comeback from 2-0 down, insisted: "We're playing free football, with confidence. The next four games are very important for us. "They're all against bottom-half clubs, all winnable."

Meulensteen, hopeful the return of Clint Dempsey on loan will give a goal threat to add to the new mood that was shared by the home fans, admitted his side must cut out the costly errors.

While the Fulham boss did not castigate Steve Sidwell for conceding Yaya Toure's free-kick opener, shocking set-piece marking led to Vincent Kompany's second, Giorgios Karagounis was out-muscled by Alvaro Negredo before Jesus Navas put City back in front and Aaron Hughes missed Negredo's cross for James Milner's killer fourth.

"We can't get stuck on the fact we lost to a couple of goals that shouldn't happen," said Meulensteen. "Clint gives you that timing to arrive in the box, which we didn't have."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulhams-kieran-richardson-insists-cottagers-2952984#ixzz2oGbMKcGS
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Manchester United misfit Alexander Buttner eyed by Fulham for January transfer

New Cottagers boss Rene Meulensteen needs to bolster his defence and may turn to his former club for the out-of-favour full-back

No ifs or Butts: The Dutchman could be set for a move to the Cottage
Michael Steele

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen has joined the race to land Manchester United misfit Alexander Buttner.

Meleunsteen wants to bolster his leaky defence in January and could return to his old club to ask about the out-of-favour Buttner.

Fulham have conceded eight goals in the last two games and will target a new left-back to boost their survival bid.

Meulensteen has yet to be won over by John Arne Riise and has already pushed Kieran Richardson forward amid doubts over his defensive qualities.

And the ex-United coach, who is a fan of Buttner, could be reunited with the Dutchman after adding him to his January hit-list of targets.

Buttner is set to leave Old Trafford after failing to oust Patrice Evra since joining in a £5million deal from Vitesse Arnhem 16 months ago.

Buttner's agent has already claimed Italian pair Roma and Genoa are leading the scramble for his signature.

But the west Londoners are also in the mix and their loan offer would throw Buttner, 24, a Premier League lifeline.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-alexander-2953962#ixzz2oGbgGnyg
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook