more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matthew Briggs

Started by FPT, December 26, 2013, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

Don't shoot my head off.

We'll all probably agree that left back in a spot in which whoever starts, Riise or Richardson, is because he's the best of a bad pair. Now what about Wandsworth's own, Matthew Briggs.

At times, he can look vulnerable, but he's got fantastic energy and a superb cross on him. He's an athlete and defensive positioning and awareness can be drilled into him by one of the best coaches in world football.

Once he's back from injury, it'll be interesting to see whether Briggsy can be the long term solution for left back. He looked solid when he played the majority of the game vs. Sunderland, so it may not be completely crazy. If he can come good and look the part, it can save us on the investment of a new left back.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: FPT on December 26, 2013, 09:53:24 PM
Don't shoot my head off.

We'll all probably agree that left back in a spot in which whoever starts, Riise or Richardson, is because he's the best of a bad pair. Now what about Wandsworth's own, Matthew Briggs.

At times, he can look vulnerable, but he's got fantastic energy and a superb cross on him. He's an athlete and defensive positioning and awareness can be drilled into him by one of the best coaches in world football.

Once he's back from injury, it'll be interesting to see whether Briggsy can be the long term solution for left back. He looked solid when he played the majority of the game vs. Sunderland, so it may not be completely crazy. If he can come good and look the part, it can save us on the investment of a new left back.
yes, he has not (yet) fulfilled his potential and let's hope Rene can coach him to do so.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

LBNo11

...I like Briggs as a player and I still think he will make the grade. The criticism of some of his play has been very unfair as older more experienced players make the same mistakes too.
I hope Meulensteen can, as suggested above, better coach and enhance his talents...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

nose

I like JAR, he is a top player that is sadly just past his best but still easilly good enough. his critics on this board astound me.

Luffy86

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 26, 2013, 10:33:31 PM
...I like Briggs as a player and I still think he will make the grade. The criticism of some of his play has been very unfair as older more experienced players make the same mistakes too.
I hope Meulensteen can, as suggested above, better coach and enhance his talents...

I like your comment!! You should watch the video that the other member has put on the forum to see Rene's coaching skills... I'm a coach and watching that video of his, he would be the type of coach I would aspire to be.
I've said it before and I'll say it again!! I think we've got a gem on our hands in Rene!!!

Barrie

Forget about Briggs, he's just not good enough defensively. 

EJL

Why not? Fresh start for everybody with a new manager.

twang

I read a quote from Rene a few days ago where he said that he doesn't think he needs to get a defender during January. If that turns out to be the case, it can only be positive for Briggs.

Anybody know when he's back from injury?

Bassey the warrior

I don't rate him at all to be honest. I feel he's overhyped by fans because he's a local lad.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: EJL on December 27, 2013, 12:27:56 AM
I've probably been away too long, but who's the guy asttounded by Berbatov's 'trap' that gets up and leaves.
I like the look on the faces of the 2 people in front of him.
I watched the game over here and was speechless for a couple of minutes, which is completely unlike me.
I think it's a moment that will stick in a lot of peopls minds for years.
Genius and audacious
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

EJL

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on December 27, 2013, 03:56:36 AM
I've probably been away too long, but who's the guy asttounded by Berbatov's 'trap' that gets up and leaves.
I watched the game over here and was speechless for a couple of minutes, which is completely unlike me.
Genius and audacious
Jerry Seinfeld, my friend.

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: twang on December 27, 2013, 12:33:49 AM
I read a quote from Rene a few days ago where he said that he doesn't think he needs to get a defender during January. If that turns out to be the case, it can only be positive for Briggs.

Anybody know when he's back from injury?

I hope he was misquoted.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Deanothefulhamfan

I think he deserves a chance,  as everyone else does under Rene.... Who seems to have rejuvenated half our team.

The quickest member of our squad, and a good threat attacking wise which is clear what Rene wants our fullbacks to be doing.

Will struggle to get in ahead of Riise though who has been excellent in recent weeks

Holders

Rene will surely give him a chance. If you've read what he wrote about the training he's been giuing Taarabt - one or two touches only etc than he'll surely know what to do with Briggs to see just what he can get out of him.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: EJL on December 27, 2013, 04:22:10 AM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on December 27, 2013, 03:56:36 AM
Genius and audacious
Jerry Seinfeld, my friend.

What I'd like to know is how they knew he was going to get up and leave so as to have the camera on him. Or is he actually someone "well-known" who was in the crowd and it was just good timing?  Looks a bit like Harry Enfield's Tory Boy to me.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

tonynorton

He has had three of four managers to prove himself too and he hasnt done so! I think he would be a decent championship player.

One Martin Thomas

Watched Briggs closely at Blackpool in cup last year and he looked very low on confidence and was at fault for one of their goals.  I am not so sure how well he did at Watford.

Is he low on confidence or does he simply not have the time on the ball / ability to make it in the Premier League ?  I guess Rene will soon work him out.

What about beefing the lad up and trying him at Centreback ?

alexbishop

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 27, 2013, 10:27:03 AM
Watched Briggs closely at Blackpool in cup last year and he looked very low on confidence and was at fault for one of their goals.  I am not so sure how well he did at Watford.

Is he low on confidence or does he simply not have the time on the ball / ability to make it in the Premier League ?  I guess Rene will soon work him out.

What about beefing the lad up and trying him at Centreback ?

Think he has been a centre back in the past...just not sure if he has the requisite mentality for the position though...
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

MasterHaynes

Quote from: FPT on December 26, 2013, 09:53:24 PM
Don't shoot my head off.

I'd prefer to see Kavanagh or Richards given a chance, Briggs has had several and cannot be classed as a youngster, you say he still needs to have tactics and positional play drilled into him, I think that is a little  voice telling you he's not going ot make it.

MJG

I have said for a long time that if we could get Gary Neville to have a day with Briggs we would see a difference. We have a proper coach now who works on players to improve them. Briggs still has a chance to make it at the club..but its a small chance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk