watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matthew Briggs

Started by FPT, December 26, 2013, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

I love the way people come on here rubbishing this player and that, half the time having only seen him play a couple of times if that, Briggs played well, yes he had a bad game but who hasn't, Berba has had several bad games, is he then  championship player at best? some times you lot make me laugh. fp.gif fp.gif fp.gif

MasterHaynes

OK lets turn it around, how many chances to you give Briggs before you give up and begin considering the other youngsters knocking on the door? Briggs was given an early chance and exposed to first team very young.  Do we risk some of our really promising youngsters getting fed up and leaving before they are afforded the same opportunity?

Matt Inglis

My friends who are Watford fans really didn't like Briggs.
I am completely unconvinced. Given the way Riise and Richardson have changed their fortunes under Rene I see no reason why we would play him.
If we are to make a change in that position, I'd want someone new.
I signed Jetro Willems on FIFA but that would probably be a tad unrealistic.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

bobby01

Quote from: alexbishop on December 27, 2013, 10:29:51 AM
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 27, 2013, 10:27:03 AM
Watched Briggs closely at Blackpool in cup last year and he looked very low on confidence and was at fault for one of their goals.  I am not so sure how well he did at Watford.

Is he low on confidence or does he simply not have the time on the ball / ability to make it in the Premier League ?  I guess Rene will soon work him out.

What about beefing the lad up and trying him at Centreback ?

Think he has been a centre back in the past...just not sure if he has the requisite mentality for the position though...

He was definitely heavier when he played for England u18 and maybe u21s (can't remember) but he was looking a good centre half every time I watched him, I thought him and smalling could be a future England senior partnership.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Skatzoffc

I've said it before, IMO, Briggs is lacking some of the most basic, fundamental defensive skills. At his age, if he doesn't know them yet, he never will.

But, if he is willing to learn, then he could learn a lot from RM.

Interesting that someone here said "he looks the part" as I sometimes think he's more interested in looking good than working hard and getting the job done.
Just an opinion. I would like to see him do well.

COYW
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

MJG

Quote from: MasterHaynes on December 27, 2013, 02:18:31 PM
OK lets turn it around, how many chances to you give Briggs before you give up and begin considering the other youngsters knocking on the door? Briggs was given an early chance and exposed to first team very young.  Do we risk some of our really promising youngsters getting fed up and leaving before they are afforded the same opportunity?
Its a good question and I asked a similar one on twitter. How many games do you give a youngster for you to make your mind up on him.
Briggs has made 13 app for Fulham. It seems many made their mind up after 2.
Frei played about 25 and split the views of the fans.

I like Richards & Kavanagh but neither has played a first team game anywhere. They need to get loans first and I think their build is not going to help them in the prem at this time.

Briggs is worth another chance under Rene, if he fails then that would be the moment to call time on him.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: MJG on December 27, 2013, 02:59:19 PM
Quote from: MasterHaynes on December 27, 2013, 02:18:31 PM
Its a good question and I asked a similar one on twitter. How many games do you give a youngster for you to make your mind up on him.
Briggs has made 13 app for Fulham. It seems many made their mind up after 2.
Frei played about 25 and split the views of the fans.

I like Richards & Kavanagh but neither has played a first team game anywhere. They need to get loans first and I think their build is not going to help them in the prem at this time.

Briggs is worth another chance under Rene, if he fails then that would be the moment to call time on him.
I think Richards may surprise a few people in another 8-12 months. He is solid and can be s ferocious tsckler(similar to Shaw at s'oton), he performs well against bigger opponents. I wonder whether the fact he did not come through any academy and was playing saturday and sunday league until he was nearly 17 he has learnt a lot about the physical side that academy players may be better protected from with 3 officials in a regulated environment. Kavenagh also rarely gets outmuscled by bigger players and is very good at getting up and down as is Richards. If Briggs cannot compete for a place by the summer I think it may be better for him and Fulham that he goes somewhere he can play every week.