goal line technology my arse

Started by mungos beans, December 27, 2013, 01:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

west kowloon white

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 27, 2013, 03:13:57 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on December 27, 2013, 02:49:26 PM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on December 27, 2013, 01:43:19 PM
in real time, the ball looks to be a lot further over compared to what the goal line tech showed I thought.

Didn't matter in the end but I'm still not sold on this technology

I saw the same, the goal line technology did not work in this case, it did not capture the ball when it was at its furthest point in the net. It was over the line. No technology needed.

This is worrying if true. I read that the tech with so many cameras is able to eliminate players and obstructions from view so can easily spot the ball at its furthest point.

It does have the ability to remove everything from the picture except for the goal line plane and the ball. And though it has many more cameras working a football field, it really only needs two operating to make the determination.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

jmh

We'd be furious if it'd been in the other direction and given as a goal despite the goal line sensors saying it wasn't. 

bmasar

Quote from: jmh on December 27, 2013, 04:22:11 PM
We'd be furious if it'd been in the other direction and given as a goal despite the goal line sensors saying it wasn't. 

Good point.

ToodlesMcToot

Well, in reality, all this discussion is pointless. The linesman didn't call for a goal, the ref didn't call for a goal, the monitoring system didn't call for a goal, and the scoreboard didn't register a goal. It's done.

I'll take a plus one goal differential for us any day. If it were allowed, twice on Sundays.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Holders

I don't for a moment think we should assume that it would have been 3-1 if Rodallega's attempt had been given! It would just have given Norwich longer to go for an equaliser.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Old Count

Quote from: EJL on December 27, 2013, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: west kowloon white on December 27, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
If MOTD team say it wasn't a goal then it wasn't a goal,get real.
Whatever Robbie Savage and Alan Shearer have to say has no relevance at all. They're both clowns who are out of their depth as pundits.

Really unfair on clowns, who make much better pundits than those two.

Jamie88

I find this amazing how so many of you can say with certainty that it was over the line! There is no camera angle which I've seen where you can see the whole ball, so how on earth can anyone say they saw it clearly go over? I'd say from the replays I've seen I'd have to agree with the technology, looks about right.

nose

I thoiught the ball was well over the line and curiously they don't show the whole sequence from the goal line cameras. I think the point at which the ball ius showed not over the line it is on the way out.

I believe the technology is probably an improvement but with the number of players around the ball I wondered if the system showed a flaw.... I was certain it was in, but need to see the the whole sequence again using those cameras exclusively.

ron

Well pantomime season is still here...

"Oh yes it was"

"Oh no it wasn't"

"Watch out Ruddy, it's behind you !"

alfie

Whatever Robbie Savage and Alan Shearer have to say has no relevance at all. They're both clowns who are out of their depth as pundits.

what a strange thing to say, you may not like them but they certainly know a lot more than us and they do have eyes as well as us
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

nose

Quote from: alfie on December 28, 2013, 11:24:00 AM

what a strange thing to say, you may not like them but they certainly know a lot more than us and they do have eyes as well as us

I am not sure they do know more than some (many) of us. I do not believe the technology worked properly in this instance, or rather, I do not think it was used properly in this instance. The whole sequence needs to be shown, the moment they picked the ball was coming out not going in.
I don't think the pundits have any idea how the techn olgy works or is supposed to be used... they are their because they look nice, are articulate and once played in the premier league, not because they understand technology. Some of us, with degrees in engineering,m who have spent a life time in practical engineering, can spot an error a mile off and this looked like one.

Bracken White

Watched it & rewound - there's no doubt that the whole of the ball WAS past the line - the whole of the ball hit the net BEHIND the post. This does concern me about the technology.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

filham

If that goal had been given we would now be above Palace and out of the bottom three. Relegation this season could depend on the correct performance of a piece of electronic kit.
Times are changing.

K33NY

Rewind it alot myself and I agree the balls look clearly over the line. I feel that this technology isnt 100% but at least its  a fair system that goes for all teams.

Holders

Quote from: filham on December 28, 2013, 12:37:08 PM
If that goal had been given we would now be above Palace and out of the bottom three. Relegation this season could depend on the correct performance of a piece of electronic kit.
Times are changing.

If we'd been awarded that goal, they'd have had more time to go for an equaliser and Parker might not have got his. Flawed reasoning - sorry.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham Joe

Logicalman

Quote from: nose on December 28, 2013, 11:30:17 AM
Some of us, with degrees in engineering,m who have spent a life time in practical engineering, can spot an error a mile off and this looked like one.

Can you expand on that for me, as i'm trying to understand the link between an engineering degree and eyesight. Perhaps i have the wrong end of the stick?

alfie

Quote from: Logicalman on December 28, 2013, 02:32:10 PM
Some of us, with degrees in engineering,m who have spent a life time in practical engineering, can spot an error a mile off and this looked like one.

Can you expand on that for me, as i'm trying to understand the link between an engineering degree and eyesight. Perhaps i have the wrong end of the stick?

My thoughts as well, I have looked at it several times and my non engineering eyes tell me the whole ball did not cross the line.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MayoDomo

Quote from: alfie on December 29, 2013, 07:48:37 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on December 28, 2013, 02:32:10 PM

My thoughts as well, I have looked at it several times and my non engineering eyes tell me the whole ball did not cross the line.

I'm in the process of getting an engineering degree, and I regret to inform you, it's not improving my eyesight.  I'm not sold either way, but as far as I can tell if the technology is capturing a live stream of data there should be no error.  If it is taking a snapshot of when it thinks the ball is furthest over the line there could be some error.  I don't know which it is, and it's too late at night for me to go and research it to find out.
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!