watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

goal line technology my arse

Started by mungos beans, December 27, 2013, 01:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mungos beans

Ive rewound it half a dozen times and the ball is clearly over. Goal difference could cost us.

Logicalman

Quote from: mungos beans on December 27, 2013, 01:33:00 PM
Ive rewound it half a dozen times and the ball is clearly over. Goal difference could cost us.

Seriously, are you 100% sure? I mean, I would prefer to be guided by the technology, after all the testing it needed to go through than some half-decent video feed. The technology showed the back edge of the ball was half-way across the line itself, not clear of it.

epsomraver

Match of the day showed that the whole of the ball did NOT cross the whole of the line to be a goal, sorry.

PaulJ123

in real time, the ball looks to be a lot further over compared to what the goal line tech showed I thought.

Didn't matter in the end but I'm still not sold on this technology

mungos beans

Football first. The whole match and sorry but match is wrong. Rewind it and slow motion it you see clearly it was in

Slaphead in Qatar

Definately a goal. Ball bulged the side netting. Technology is not always correct as has been shown in cricket.

Bassey the warrior

Just seen it and it clearly isn't. In fact during the game they showed this quite clearly.

RoyTund

The whole of the ball has to cross the line;  it could cause the side netting to bulge without being 100%, fully, over the line. 

Lighthouse

As in tennis the replay can often show a distorted view dependant on the camera angle. The tech shows an exaggerated replay to show the ball. Clearly as a Fulham fan the ball was well in and we deserved the goal. The truth is it wasn't but how unlucky were we to come so close?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

leonffc

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on December 27, 2013, 01:51:48 PM
Definately a goal. Ball bulged the side netting.

I saw that but I think it was a players (Sidwell?) head

ToodlesMcToot

The technology they use has been vetted for years in professional tennis. If it says that the ball did not fully cross the line, I'm not going to question it when my version of events is solely informed by that 3 second scrum. I really did not see anything that would cause me to dispute the ruling.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

RidgeRider

Quote from: PaulJ123 on December 27, 2013, 01:43:19 PM
in real time, the ball looks to be a lot further over compared to what the goal line tech showed I thought.

I saw the same, the goal line technology did not work in this case, it did not capture the ball when it was at its furthest point in the net. It was over the line. No technology needed.

alexbishop

i think the key is when the technology captures the ball. Normally it would capture it when it hits the floor and then that is the measure of whether it is over the line or not. In this case, the ball did not touch the floor so if it captures the ball too soon or too late, it can give the impression the ball was not over the line, when for a split second before/after it may well have been. The video camera clearly shows the ball inside the post, bulged into the side netting - that has to have been over the line...
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

PokerMatt

The technology hasn't been designed to show when the ball hits the floor as per tennis. That would be silly as the ball quite often doesn't bounce until after hitting the back of the net. It's not a photo, but a detection of the furthest point once the ball is between the posts and near the line.

There are (seven?) cameras set up top, left and right of the posts which can detect the ball when it is at its furthest point over the line. It did look in, but I'm reluctant to criticise the tech as it was so close.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

mungos beans

Thanks ridge rider its as clear as day on football first.

PokerMatt

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 27, 2013, 02:49:26 PM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on December 27, 2013, 01:43:19 PM

I saw the same, the goal line technology did not work in this case, it did not capture the ball when it was at its furthest point in the net. It was over the line. No technology needed.

This is worrying if true. I read that the tech with so many cameras is able to eliminate players and obstructions from view so can easily spot the ball at its furthest point.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Rupert

For years the FA and FIFA objected to using technology as it was only 97% accurate, roughly the same figure as referees manage unaided (yes, really, 97%) and they saw no benefit to bringing it in.

Maybe they were right?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

St Eve

From my unbiased eyes it was clearly a goal

west kowloon white

If MOTD team say it wasn't a goal then it wasn't a goal,get real.

EJL

Quote from: west kowloon white on December 27, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
If MOTD team say it wasn't a goal then it wasn't a goal,get real.
Whatever Robbie Savage and Alan Shearer have to say has no relevance at all. They're both clowns who are out of their depth as pundits.