watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

standing may return at grounds

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, December 28, 2013, 05:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefo

Fingers crossed this will happen, long overdue. We all stand when goalmouth action happens so why not. Standing areas for standing, seats for sitting and everyone's a winner. Bring back the atmosphere.

Burt

This would be a good move, so long as it is the safe standing system that you get in the German leagues.

You just get more of an atmosphere standing up. Don't know why, you just do.

Berserker

Well I will stay in the seated area. If they change grounds to all standing I will stop going to football matches. If they make the seated area's as expensive as the Riverside stand as part of the change I won't be able to afford to go anyway.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ron

This German system looks like "tall seats" to me, with spectators treated like toast in a rack, probably being charged seat prices.

Real standing involves being able to stand in small groups of friends etc.

Safe standing relies on the police not allowing all and sundry to crowd into grounds whether they have tickets or not (What are tickets for anyway?)

One of the points about standing is that it should be a cheap way of watching matches. The working man's game of football was based on mass attendances and cheap entry at the turnstiles, and we have systematically lost this as clubs don't have to rely on gate money to survive any more.

grandad

I was in crowds of 40k + at the Cottage & it was safe enough then. That was when supporters of both teams were able to mingle. Can you imagine that now. OMG.
Where there's a will there's a wife

nose

I say we bring back the dinosaurs and send children up chimneys.
The inability to sit is frankly bizarre.
If stadiums would have originally been all seater and somebody said let's remove some of the seats and let people stand, there would have been an outcry, you must be mad.

The idea that standing enhances the atmosphere is childish to the point of absurdity.
Seating in fact allows the maximum number of people in the ground the ability to see the maximum amount of pitch.
Standing is more likely to obstruct the maximum number of people and make taking children and older people a less attractive proposition.

I haven't even touched on safety, but any venue, football or otherwise, that has standing has far higher incidences of problems regarding injuries. how many crushings/deaths do you think it worth to allow a handfull of kids to stand.

I really thought that in 2013 people would have let this go.

Big Martin Jol

I don't get the obsession with standing. Why? I'm very much in Fulham's younger demographic and I don't want to be on my feet for two hours.

Not even sure on the goalmouth thing - we'd get exactly the same view if we all sat down. Stand up AFTER you score!
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Big Martin Jol on December 28, 2013, 11:09:07 AM
I don't get the obsession with standing. Why? I'm very much in Fulham's younger demographic and I don't want to be on my feet for two hours.

Not even sure on the goalmouth thing - we'd get exactly the same view if we all sat down. Stand up AFTER you score!

Standing creates a better atmosphere and that is what some people want. A standing and seated stadium could easily cater for all.

grandad

Sorry but if some think that allowing standing will be like it was in the 50´s & 60´s they will be wrong. It will be like being in a milking shed. There will be so many crush barriers & there will be little ability to move around freely. It´s not very pleasant standing on a freezing terrace for 2 hours or more. I suffer with chilblains as a result of years doing it.
Where there's a will there's a wife