watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our key to survival

Started by Admin, December 29, 2013, 08:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Has to be down to 2 things. Our home form, and a successful January transfer window.

I'm starting to see some names being talked about already and yes, they'd be great additions, but the cold hard truth is, that we are in a relegation dog fight and we're not in a position to be taking a punt on anyone.

That, coupled with the risk of spending big, and then potentially getting relegated, is something I know the club will not entertain. If you think they are tight in the normal transfer windows, I can guarantee that the calculators are already tapping away with thoughts of sustainability in the Championship.   

I don't think we'll see figures of 20-30 million spent, not in a million years, but I can see maybe 10 million being made available to refresh the squad, along with a couple of loan players.

The obvious key is to not rip that squad apart and have a complete overhaul, we don't have the time or money to do that. We also don't want a QPR type situation either. I believe, from experience, that club will face this January transfer window just like we did under Roy, keeping their cards close to their chest and adding experience rather than volume.

Bottom line is, Rene has got us playing well apart from the embarrassing 6-0 mauling of Hull, which to be honest was on the cards anyway, even if he wasn't at the club.

I honestly believe that this was a final wake up call to those around the club to prove how much of a dire situation we are in. If anything, I hope the embarrassment of that result was passed on from the fans, to the players, to the management, to the board and the new owner.

As a squad, I think we can make it through to the end of the season with our current old legs, but obviously adding a few experienced additions. I think the key to this season is also holding on to Berbatov at any cost. Love him or hate him, he's the difference between getting us 2-3 more results from now until the end. He can do what he likes in the summer, which is a more obvious time to rip that squad apart and heavily invest.

Our home also needs to be back on track as of West Ham. I'm not expecting 2 wins, but a minimum of 4 points is a must to break the 20 point mark. If we get 2 wins then I'll be over the moon, but for me, I'm not getting carried away.

After these 2 games, it's a must that we start to make Craven Cottage a fortress once again and grinding out results. When the big boys visit, it's really important to start holding out for draws or getting a couple of surprise results. something we've not done in a long, long while.

I honestly believe we've got enough in the tank to get out of this. Teams like Cardiff, Norwich and even Villa are showing signs of meltdown and we have to act. I just hope that Rene is sincere when he says he will turn that result around starting with West Ham.

If he doesn't, well, we all know what we'll be in for and that will be Alan bloody Curbishley.     

David Allen Crankshaw

We definitely need to win our next two home matches or we are in big trouble. The next three home matches following on are against Chelsea, Liverpool and Southampton and I can't see many points being won from that group of matches.

Admin

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on December 29, 2013, 09:02:27 PM
We definitely need to win our next two home matches or we are in big trouble. The next three home matches following on are against Chelsea, Liverpool and Southampton and I can't see many points being won from that group of matches.

Doesn't matter who we face, our attitude at home has to change. If we can hold one of the big boy to a draw, maybe beat Southampton, thats a half decent return. 

Berserker

Luck plays a big part, we need it on our side to survive.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

JackyFulham90

I still think we will stay up. 6 points from the next 2 would be great but I would settle for 4. Any less will be poor

Admin

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on December 29, 2013, 11:52:22 PM
I still think we will stay up. 6 points from the next 2 would be great but I would settle for 4. Any less will be poor

Just been sniffing out the WATRB forum. To be fair, there's only been one post on our 6-0 thrashing, not bad considering we lorded it over them for the best part of 2 years. Still, they are adornment we'll go down, so thats aa reason for us to stay up.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Admin on December 29, 2013, 08:42:50 PM
Has to be down to 2 things. Our home form, and a successful January transfer window.

I'm starting to see some names being talked about already and yes, they'd be great additions, but the cold hard truth is, that we are in a relegation dog fight and we're not in a position to be taking a punt on anyone.

That, coupled with the risk of spending big, and then potentially getting relegated, is something I know the club will not entertain. If you think they are tight in the normal transfer windows, I can guarantee that the calculators are already tapping away with thoughts of sustainability in the Championship.   

I don't think we'll see figures of 20-30 million spent, not in a million years, but I can see maybe 10 million being made available to refresh the squad, along with a couple of loan players.

The obvious key is to not rip that squad apart and have a complete overhaul, we don't have the time or money to do that. We also don't want a QPR type situation either. I believe, from experience, that club will face this January transfer window just like we did under Roy, keeping their cards close to their chest and adding experience rather than volume.

Bottom line is, Rene has got us playing well apart from the embarrassing 6-0 mauling of Hull, which to be honest was on the cards anyway, even if he wasn't at the club.

I honestly believe that this was a final wake up call to those around the club to prove how much of a dire situation we are in. If anything, I hope the embarrassment of that result was passed on from the fans, to the players, to the management, to the board and the new owner.

As a squad, I think we can make it through to the end of the season with our current old legs, but obviously adding a few experienced additions. I think the key to this season is also holding on to Berbatov at any cost. Love him or hate him, he's the difference between getting us 2-3 more results from now until the end. He can do what he likes in the summer, which is a more obvious time to rip that squad apart and heavily invest.

Our home also needs to be back on track as of West Ham. I'm not expecting 2 wins, but a minimum of 4 points is a must to break the 20 point mark. If we get 2 wins then I'll be over the moon, but for me, I'm not getting carried away.

After these 2 games, it's a must that we start to make Craven Cottage a fortress once again and grinding out results. When the big boys visit, it's really important to start holding out for draws or getting a couple of surprise results. something we've not done in a long, long while.

I honestly believe we've got enough in the tank to get out of this. Teams like Cardiff, Norwich and even Villa are showing signs of meltdown and we have to act. I just hope that Rene is sincere when he says he will turn that result around starting with West Ham.

If he doesn't, well, we all know what we'll be in for and that will be Alan bloody Curbishley.     

Home form indeed.

The club still have Sunderland, Norwich, Crystal Palace, West Ham, Hull, Newcastle, and Southhampton at home. It is unlikely that the team would get 21 points from those 7 matches, but if the club want to survive, it needs to win 5-6 of those matches.

That would leave about 6-8 points the club need to scrape together from the other 12 matches, which would still be tough to do considering the club is unlikely to be favorites in any of them.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Admin on December 29, 2013, 08:42:50 PM

A thoughtful post as ever. Whilst I agree there's a risk of destabilising the squad I also feel it's not good enough. So which positions what would you do in the window if you were in charge? I'm not asking you to name some players, more what positions would you strengthen. In my mind we need a new cb to be starting regularly, a deep lying playmaker although this is not quite as important, better back up for Berba (assuming he stays), possibly a left back and left midfielder.

Burt

Agree with this.

Keys to survival:

CONTINUE WITH RM's PHILOSOPHY
Let's write off Hull as a bad day at the office, rather than a return to the dire stuff that was served up under Jol. RM has shown that he can re-energize the team, and I prefer to think that the way we played against Spurs, Man City, Villa, Norwich etc. as the new norm. Not how we played against Hull.

Hopefully the January window will see us strengthen things in the key areas. A return of a 100% fit and motivated Hangeland will also be like a new signing for us.

MAKE THE COTTAGE A FORTRESS AGAIN
Looking at the remainder of our home fixtures:
- WHU
- Sunderland
- Southampton
- Liverpool
- Chelsea
- Newcastle
- Everton
- Nowich
- Hull
- Palace

We should be looking to win at least 6 of these. The next two, and the last three, in particular are the ones where we should expect a result. 18 points. That takes us to 34 points, so another win and a couple of draws from the other home matches and away matches should see us through.