more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad Overhaul in the Summer?

Started by Wimbledon_White, December 30, 2013, 03:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wimbledon_White

Squad Overhaul Next Summer

Given our B team lost comprehensively to a team consisting largely of Championship players I would like to propose the notion that Fulham need a significant overhaul of the squad this Summer, hopefully whilst remaining in the Prem.

So, assuming we do stay up, this is who I think should go:

Stockdale (just not good enough)
Zverotic (ditto)
Hughes (too old, making too many mistakes)
Senderos (done well this year I think but essentially just not good enough)
Richardson (same as Senderos)
Briggs (who?)
Karagounis (time to retire buddy)
Boateng (not playing, no point him being here)
Duff (time to retire)
Rodallega (championship quality at best, no wonder he thrived at Wigan)
Berbatov (kinda irrelevant cos there is no way he'd sign an extension anyway)

That's 11 players out - a pretty significant overhaul.

I would, however, like to see Taarabt stay permanently; perhaps our mgmt team can get the best out of this undoubtedly talented player.
I would like to see Dembele given a chance to step up into the first team too.

I do appreciate that these sorts of overhauls don't tend to happen, unless a team goes down (a la QPR), but I do feel it is a tad overdue for us. Also, I don't think the funds necessary to do such an overhaul will be made available to us.

RidgeRider

Those would be the players I would be 'ok' losing as long as we, obviously, replace them with younger talent......even if only a few years younger.

ScalleysDad

Riise and Bent?
I am not so sure Amborietta will cut the mustard either. We have Jols squad well and truly dismantled here but Stockdale should stay. If we are measuring goal keeping prowess on mistakes our dutch international would be on this list as well. Does'nt make good reading does it?

SimpleTactics

Completely agree. I feel whether we get relegated or not we should begin to build are team around Kasami. Get the promising youth players such as Dembele, Burn and Mesca eased into the team over the Summer and use our transfer budget efficiently on the key areas of weakness, making sure they are below the age of 27.

Wimbledon_White

Bent I assume will just go back to Villa.

Riise I forgot; yeah he can go too.

Makes for horrible reading but I don't think I have been THAT harsh on anyone at all.

grandad

In answer.
Stockdale - Keep as No.2
Zverotic - Keep as squad player
Hughes - Time to retire
Senderos - Keep as squad player
Richardson - ditto
Briggs - Give 1 more season to fully recover from hernia op.
Karagounis - Time to retire.
Boateng - Keep as squad player
Duff - Time to retire.
Rodallega - Championship player so may need him.
Berbatov - Won´t be here anyway.
In addition:
Riise - Move on
Sidwell - Keep as squad player
Bent - Send back
Amorebieta - Keep
Kaca - Keep
Ashkan - Keep
Steck - No.1 keeper
Riether - Keep
Parker - Main man
Kasami - 2nd main man
Where there's a will there's a wife

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: grandad on December 30, 2013, 04:35:01 PM
In answer.
Stockdale - Keep as No.2
Hughes - Time to retire
Richardson - ditto
Duff - Time to retire.
In addition:
Riise - Move on
Bent - Send back
Amorebieta - Keep
Kaca - Keep
Ashkan - Keep
Steck - No.1 keeper
Riether - Keep
Parker - Main man
Kasami - 2nd main man

Hi grandad,
Thanks again for the socks for Christmas.

Your list is very much what I would say if I was in a more reasonable mood.
The one thing I disagree with is Briggs; even when fit he's been hopeless. I really can't see him making it in the Prem. Championship at best and even then it's a push.

Tempest

Any idea how much it  would cost to get the club in the position most people seem to want them in?? It's Fulham, we're not going to have 2 equally good players in each position, we should have about 15 proper first team players and then if one or two changes are needed then the squad steps in but a club like us shouldn't be making 6-8 changes in a game and expect to win in the PL.

I'd love Fulham to have equal quality throughout and yes I'm sure this would make us challengers for cups/euro place on a regular basis but it also means we'll be bankrupt in no time.
To make the amount of changes some are asking for is feasible but with lower quality than we already have, or massive risks from lower leagues.

But on that note, I can't believe there aren't 3 players in each of Championship, League 1 and 2 that couldn't make the step up to the PL. Or indeed make the  most of the young talent we have.
Live in Falmouth!

Pluto

Quote from: grandad on December 30, 2013, 04:35:01 PM
In answer.
Stockdale - Keep as No.2
Hughes - Time to retire
Richardson - ditto
Duff - Time to retire.
In addition:
Riise - Move on
Bent - Send back
Amorebieta - Keep
Kaca - Keep
Ashkan - Keep
Steck - No.1 keeper
Riether - Keep
Parker - Main man
Kasami - 2nd main man

Pretty much agree with this entirely

grandad

So that leaves us starters of :
Stekelenburg
Reither
Hangeland
Parker
Kasami
Kaca
Ashkan

Therefore we need a LB, Centre Half. MFplaymaker, at least 2 strikers. Hummm, seems we have needed these for a few seasons now.
Where there's a will there's a wife

west kowloon white

Agree with grandad's starters and prob so does RM,whether he is around is another matter.

The Rock

I mean, where do you start? I think you keep about 12-13 of the players in the current squad and in Roy's words "bring in competition for places". Between the old players and "not good enough players" you can't really even pick a starting 11. I get to a starting 8, with 3 dismal fill-in's.

I'd say 65% chance we stay up as long as 10m is spent in January. We'll just have to see what is spent and see what kind of players are out there that will come depending on the league we are in come year end. 

nose

we shall see what we shal see. the analysis on this board has been so bad for the last couple of years with love of jol and ruiz, to slagging off JAR and taarabat..... hughes's age is irrelevant, he is playing very well.. sendeross is transformed and we miss him. i would prefer somebody else but he gives 100% and that counts when the chips are down.
the demoinisation of stocjkdale is as baffling ss the people that say ruiz has talent... i re watched the hull game, stockdale was the standout performer, one error (partial) for the sixth goal and a couple of wonder saves.

i trust rene, curbs and wilkins not the analysis above! we need strengthening and we all know that, we could do with a couple of proper forwards   we need a younger squad but just because a player is getting on it  is no reason to get rid.

epsomraver

Quote from: nose on December 30, 2013, 09:45:06 PM
we shall see what we shal see. the analysis on this board has been so bad for the last couple of years with love of jol and ruiz, to slagging off JAR and taarabat..... hughes's age is irrelevant, he is playing very well.. sendeross is transformed and we miss him. i would prefer somebody else but he gives 100% and that counts when the chips are down.
the demoinisation of stocjkdale is as baffling ss the people that say ruiz has talent... i re watched the hull game, stockdale was the standout performer, one error (partial) for the sixth goal and a couple of wonder saves.

i trust rene, curbs and wilkins not the analysis above! we need strengthening and we all know that, we could do with a couple of proper forwards   we need a younger squad but just because a player is getting on it  is no reason to get rid.

:plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

Wimbledon_White

hughes's age is irrelevant, he is playing very well.

Well that's your opinion; thanks for that.
I would argue that Hughes has been responsible for quite a few goals we have conceded over the past few weeks. He is now just another aged Prem footballer playing for Fulham 'Dads Army' FC.

nose

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on December 30, 2013, 09:58:35 PM

I would argue that Hughes has been responsible for quite a few goals we have conceded over the past few weeks. He is now just another aged Prem footballer playing for Fulham 'Dads Army' FC.

goalkeepers and the back four are always in the firing line when it comes to conceding goals. I can see that the when the central defensive partnership changes so often that it will not be perfect but to me Hughes has been excellent this season, his positioning has been outstanding and his covering exemplary. I really think in Hughes's case you are being extremely unfair.
but we can agree to difffer, I wish you a Happy New Year.

Holders

Quote from: nose on December 31, 2013, 10:49:38 AM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on December 30, 2013, 09:58:35 PM

goalkeepers and the back four are always in the firing line when it comes to conceding goals. I can see that the when the central defensive partnership changes so often that it will not be perfect but to me Hughes has been excellent this season, his positioning has been outstanding and his covering exemplary. I really think in Hughes's case you are being extremely unfair.
but we can agree to difffer, I wish you a Happy New Year.

I would be interested to know who, the last few weeks. his critics would have had playing in his place who wasn't injured. Riise? Recall Burn?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

JackyFulham90

If we remain in the league I think we should let go of

Zverotic
Hughes, Senderos
Riise
Duff
Karagounis, Boateng
Ruiz
Bent, Rodallega, Berbatov

I hope we also sign Taarabt permanent he is a good talent
I would like to see some youngsters promoted, obviously we would still need to bring 5 or 6 in but next season the squad would be

Stekelenburg,  Stockdale
Riether
Hangeland,  Amorebieta,  Burn
Richardson,  Briggs
Dejagah, Mesca
Sidwell, Parker, David, Kasami
Taarabt, Kacaniklic
Dembele, Trotta

It's about time we gave some youngsters a proper chance & if we want to progress next season if we do remain in the league Khan will need to invest

PokerMatt

The overhaul that's needed just cannot be done in one summer even if we stay up.

This summer will have to be shipping out the really dead of the deadwood, ie Duff, Ruiz (if not Jan), (unfortunately) Karagounis, Rodallega and bringing in younger or better replacements who will be first team players.

Then once we don't have players in the XI who should be nowhere near it can we start looking to improve the overall squad, and begin to improve on the likes Of sidwell, Riise and Kaca. Also trying to bring down the average age at the same time.

Players like senderos, Love Bite and Sidders for now should be kept as they are at least the right side of (or just the wrong side of) 30. They'll be ok as backups for a couple of years as long as we have better players ahead of them.
Follow me: @mattdjourno