watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, December 30, 2013, 07:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

To those who qualify by age for the Old Sod's Army. Does the current plight not look similar to the 1960's Division 1 status? Looking absolutely certain for relegation by the scribes and then bursting into life and staying up.

092.gif     

RaySmith

Yes, we always seemed destined for relegation in the 60s, but then  escaping at the last minute.

But eventually we were relegated, and there have been a few other times when we looked doomed, and have in fact gone down, since then.

I suppose now seems more like the Great Escape year - when Roy came in , we didn't do very well for quite a few games, and escape looked increasingly impossible - but we all know what happened.

Under Hughes we were in the bottom three at Christmas, until Bairdinho's goals at Stoke, and Clint's goal against Liverpool saved us at the last minute under Sanchez, and got Sanchez a contract.

So I still have faith that we can escape the drop - and that the club is working hard to prevent this. Hopefully, Clint will help save us again.

Fernhurst

It's 45 years since we were last relegated from the top flight league.

The circumstances have not changed that much over the years with little Fulham battling against the big boys on a weekly basis.

My feelings surrounding FFC are just the same as then.
Fulham is an area of my life where I've never fully grown up and the nerves associated with tomorrows game  are very similar to 1968.
Last time it ended in tears.

Lets all hope for a different outcome this time!

COYW COYW COYW COYW
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

grandad

In my 60 years of supporting I have seen more battles against relegation than battles for promotion.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Oakeshott

I think the game against West Ham will show us enough to make a better judgement. Play in that game as we did prior to Hull, and I think we will be safe well before the last few games. Play anything like we did in the second half at Hull and it will suggest that the apparent improvement in morale and organisation on the pitch after Jol got the heave ho is transitory, and we will be in real trouble.

MOR :

I'll still go to games regardless of whether we're relegated or not...Fulham to me has always been a SOCIAL thing. I've met some of my best friends at Fulham...

Being one of the pessimistic Fulham Supporters I always think the worst but I'll always be there...

COYW

Burt

Not quite old enough for being a member of the Old Sods Army but having started following the team since 1974 I am old enough to have experienced plenty of those will we / won't we get relegated moments, along with the actual event itself, on more occasions than I care to remember.

It's weird but I find defeats during the season difficult to cope with (they negatively impact the next few days) whereas relegation itself is "meh - it's happened" and I just move on. Perhaps it is because when we do get relegated the writing has been on the wall for some time and you have got used to the idea.

And if we do go down, then I will still rock up to the Cottage, regardless of division.

I still have a feeling that we can survive this one. Get the Hull result out of the way, let Rene continue the work he has started, and I have to believe that we will be good enough to stay up. The next two home games are so important!!

Peabody

I suppose my experiences in the sixties is why I have little patience with the negative view. Perhaps I should make a new year resolution to be more tolerant(funny how the word tolerant ends with the word rant).

Kent Cassandra

Peabody you are one of our famous celebRANTS......true Fulham.
I remember the feeling as Earle broke away from a pressurised Northampton corner and ran the length of the field  to save our bacon.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

filham

We have certainly seen many memorable relegation fights over the years but in all honesty I can well do without another one.
I am hoping that Dempsey, Hangeland and perhaps one really good signing in early January could turn this team around quite soon.

What is the situation with Hangeland ? There has been no news and our survival could well depend on his recovery, remember how Roy was helped along in The Great Escape by the return of McBride and Bullard.

ron

The fortunes of Fulham have in some measure mirrored events in my life.  ..... Born in '49...2nd div champions........'96 made redundant from a job after 15years .....Fulham rock bottom.   '01 FFC back in top flight.....I finished my BSc Hons as a mature student and returned to a secure full time job in teaching which has served me well since.........are a few of the parallels.

I am going to retire in the coming summer....now I wonder how that will be matched down at the Cottage...?

hovewhite

Believe we will survive,but no matter what division will still be there come august for the rollercoaster of supporting fulham.coyw

Travers Barney

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on December 31, 2013, 11:59:11 AM
I remember the feeling as Earle broke away from a pressurised Northampton corner and ran the length of the field  to save our bacon.

Would loved to have shared that feeling too..had it at Fratton Park and that will stay  with me forever ..Northampton however was before my time but love the iconic pictures of Messrs Pearce that  capture the occasion....coyw
We are the whites

somerset cockernee

aaahhh!    what memories...I too am old enough to qualify for "the old sod's army"....playing Mansfield town, Wycombe wanderers and the like....good days indeed. too distant alas to remember in great detail but the snippets I do remember make me smile. having supported Fulham when they were really rock bottom makes you more up-beat about our present predicament. not having a go at the younger generations by any means but you have to expect bad times as well ! just enjoy the ride

Tonywa

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on December 31, 2013, 11:59:11 AM

No that was 'The GREAT Escape' that season and that afternoon art Northampton one of the most nerve-wracking I have ever known.  The last escape was marvellous, but really only came to life over a few games.  The late 'sixties one was spread out of a long period of months and was Fulhamish in the extreme.  Hopes being dashed in one game (sound familiar) only for the side to turn things round again.  We had a decent run, then lost 0-4 at home to Leicester in an abject performance.  Lost at home to Leeds (a top side then) only to win away at Elland Road a couple of days later.  Truth is that I've been here throughout four divisions and will be here again next season whichever division we are in.  However as I get older I would rather spend my declining days watching a team in the top division, rather than awaiting the visit of some unattractive lower division opposition.  Greatest club in he world and of course IT MATTERS!

filham

That Northamptonmatch is certainly one of my most memorable Fulham games, what a win, a similar result today would work wonders for us all.