more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (31/12/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 31, 2013, 08:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Test Of Character

David Stockdale says that the players have to accept responsibility for Saturday's defeat at Hull City.

After a goalless first half at the KC Stadium, the 28-year-old goalkeeper admits the team were left 'shell-shocked' as the hosts scored six goals in 35 minutes. But with our heaviest Premier League defeat dealt and key matches on the horizon, Stocko insists that the Whites need to regroup and move on.

"It was a crazy second half, and we were left totally shell-shocked," said David to fulhamfc.com. "I don't think we stuck to our principles, and when the second goal went in the game really started to slip away from us.

"René [Meulensteen] has very high standards and we just didn't meet them, which is a shame because I thought we had turned a corner. The win at Norwich City was important and we really thought we could do the same at Hull.

"Okay, they have a good record at the KC Stadium, but the performance and result was totally unacceptable. We didn't play as well as we know we can, and all we can do is apologise and learn from the experience. We'll go over what went wrong, and make sure we address what happened."

With just a day's rest between the Boxing Day fixture at Carrow Road and our trip to East Yorkshire, Meulensteen made six changes to his starting line-up against Hull - who Stockdale made 24 appearances for whilst on loan last season.

"I think the gaffer was right to rest a couple of players," he added. "The run of games over Christmas is a busy period and that's why you have a squad to choose from. You need to mix things up and it was an opportunity for others to come in.

"I'd come in for Maarten [Stekelenburg] against Norwich, so this was a chance for me as well. I always want to do well, that goes without saying, so this was extremely disappointing. It really hurt, and anyone that didn't feel that way doesn't deserve to be in the team.

"We're not little kids, we're experienced professionals and need to accept responsibility. So we'll take this on the chin, dig deep and go again on Wednesday against West Ham United - that's the focus now.

"We can't dwell on the defeat too much, though, and the gaffer will make sure that we go into the game at Craven Cottage with as much confidence as possible; that's what he's like. We felt that we'd turned a corner so, of course, we feel like we've been knocked out of our stride.

"The next couple of days will be a big test in our character, but I believe we have what it takes. We need to fight for everything, and show the desire to get back on track."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/30/stocko-hull?

WhiteJC

Dinamo Moscow coach Dan Petrescu reveals England offers

Dinamo Moscow coach Dan Petrescu has revealed he held discussions in England regarding a new challenge but he does not want to leave the Russian top-flight side.

The former Chelsea defender was strongly linked with a return to London in a management capacity after Premier League strugglers Crystal Palace and Fulham parted company with their coaches.

The two clubs subsequently looked elsewhere - to Tony Pulis and Rene Meulensteen respectively - and Petrescu, who joined Dinamo in August 2012 on a three-year deal, has no intention of leaving his current job.

In comments reported by Dolce Sport, Petrescu is quoted as saying: "Offers have been made and will be. We'll see what is going to happen in the future.

"We had some discussions in England but I could not get there.

"I have a year-and-a-half on my contract with Dinamo Moscow. I've said it before and I repeat - I do not want to leave until either my contract expires or Dinamo fire me.

"If I want to stay here, it means I feel good here."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9094157?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey arrives in time to heal Fulham

There's really no silver-lining to losing six-nil to Hull City, that should be obvious. The discipline, dedication, and professional pride displayed by the majority of Fulham players on Saturday was a genuine disgrace, and it's a result which the club will have to live with for a long time.

What's becoming very apparent, and actually what has been obvious since the beginning of the season, is that there are too many players who are merely content to exist at Craven Cottage and not enough who actually strive to protect or improve Fulham's standing within the game.

Fortunately, Rene Meulensteen is nearly in a position to inject his squad with something far healthier and, for the next two months, will have the use of a player who has all the virtues that the team currently needs.

Clint Dempsey isn't a world-beater, and he isn't technically the most advanced footballer, but the American has always been someone who plays with a lot of energy and a lot of desire – and, as unfortunate as the end to his first spell in South-West London ultimately was, he remains an icon of Fulham's time in the Premier League because of that.

Dempsey's playing abilities alone aren't enough to protect this team from relegation, because their issues go far deeper than merely the absence of the attributes that he possesses, but he'll bring a healthy and infectious attitude back to the banks of the Thames which can hopefully awaken something in those around him.

In many ways, Dempsey is the anti-Berbatov – he's not naturally-gifted, he's not laissez-faire, and he's achieved what he is in the game almost via sheer strength of will rather than anything more passive. Dempsey is the inspiring, emotional-leader whose sheer presence on the pitch will, simultaneously, make Craven Cottage a more positive place to be and give this side some of the heart they've been missing.

He alone won't save Meulensteen and his players from The Championship, but any other side at the foot of the league would love to have him – he's a player who will never die easily, and that will make him a priceless commodity over the next ten weeks.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/clint-dempsey-arrives-in-time-to-heal-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham - West Ham Betting Preview: Goals galore expected at Craven Cottage

With Sam Allardyce facing a defensive injury crisis and the Cottagers having just received a thrashing, Al Hain-Cole expects Wednesday's clash to provide plenty of goalmouth action

Fulham will be desperate to bounce back from their embarrassing 6-0 hammering at the hands of Hull when they welcome West Ham to Craven Cottage on New Year's Day.

Having won just six of their 22 Premier League games on home soil in 2013, BetVictor have priced the Hammers as 6/4 (2.50) favourites to open the new year with a priceless victory over their fellow relegation candidates.

Meanwhile, Sam Allardyce's men have won just one of their last 12 games in the Premier League and are available at 19/10 (2.90) to leapfrog their hosts by coming out on top.

There have been no draws in any of the hosts' last 17 fixtures, but you can get odds of 12/5 (3.40) on the sides sharing the spoils in this one.

While Saturday's 3-3 draw against West Brom may have provided plenty of entertainment for the neutral, Allardyce was left cursing his luck as James Tomkins was forced off through injury to leave him with no fit central defenders and a backline comprised purely of full-backs.

This injury crisis has robbed the Hammers of their greatest strength, as a team that usually prides itself on resolute defending has now conceded nine goals in its last three matches.

Their manager has vowed to combat this weakness by adopting a more attacking approach, meaning odds of 5/6 (1.83) are not to be missed when they take on a home team with by far the worst defensive record in the division, having conceded nine more goals than Sunderland and Norwich.

This bet would have paid out in 13 of Fulham's last 16 matches, as well as eight of West Ham's last 10 in all competitions.

In fact, with at least four goals having been scored each of the visitors' last three games and three of the hosts' last four, it is well worth backing odds of 85/40 (3.13) on over 3.5 going in when they come face-to-face.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2995/betting/2013/12/30/4511015/-?

WhiteJC

Ray Wilkins named Fulham assistant head coach

Fulham have appointed former manager Ray Wilkins as assistant head coach to Rene Meulensteen at Craven Cottage.

Wilkins, 57, is the second appointment to the club's backroom staff over the festive period after Alan Curbishley was named technical director.

Meulensteen believes Wilkins can help the Cottagers in their battle to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

"I know that Ray's experience and his knowledge of the game will be a vital component," Meulensteen said.

"Retaining our status of being a Premier League club next season is vitally important to our long-term plans.

"I am delighted that the chairman and the chief executive have, again, backed my desire for further experience and support within the backroom staff."

Wilkins was previously in charge of Fulham more than 15 years ago, guiding them to the Second Division play-offs in the 1997-98 season, but he was sacked before they began following a poor run of results.

After leaving Craven Cottage, Wilkins took up coaching roles at Chelsea, Watford and Millwall.

His last coaching job ended in November 2010 when he left his position as Chelsea assistant manager.

Fulham are in the relegation places on goal difference after their 6-0 defeat at Hull City.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25553406?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v West Ham

Fulham are conceding an unbelievable amount of goals and the first thing they need to do is make themselves difficult to beat.

West Ham are out of sorts too at the moment. They got a point against West Brom on Saturday but the Baggies came across as a much better team.

Both of these teams are in the relegation zone for a reason and I would imagine they will both be busy when the January transfer window opens.

There will not be much in it on Wednesday, but home advantage might just see Fulham get a much-needed win.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Steve's prediction: Fulham were terrible at Hull but arguably not quite as bad as the truly woeful display at West Ham that helped Martin Jol get sacked. They need to make amends and could inflict a crushing blow to Sam Allardyce. 2-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25522539

WhiteJC

Wilkins Coming Back!

It`s looking as if there could be a further expansion with regards to the first-team coaching pool.

With Alan Curbishley having been brought in last week, the suggestion doing the rounds today is that Rene Meulensteen has offered Ray Wilkins a role on his team.

Reports suggest that Wilkins has been offered the role of coach and assistant manager and discussions will be held, today, with reference to a contract being drawn up.

Wilkins, currently working as a TV pundit with Sky Sports, had a spell as our manager back in 1997 but has been away from the coaching scene since leaving Chelsea a couple of years ago. At 57 years of age he has a wealth of knowledge and, hopefully, should be a valuable asset in our quest to claw out of the relegation places.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=343464#ixzz2p2R5olif

WhiteJC

Riise Offers an Apology!

The West Ham fixture, on New Years` Day can`t come quick enough for me.

The need to try and wipe the memory of that awful 6-0 defeat, up at the KC Stadium, from the mind is a necessity.

The fact that our opposition is West Ham, a club that are struggling just like us, gives me cause for a little bit of optimism with regards to us getting back to winning ways.

However, there are still ramifications in the air relating to that disastrous second half at the KC Stadium and John Arne Riise, even though the dust has settled slightly, has stepped forward to offer those who travelled the length of the country to see their team in action, an apology.

The Norwegian who is enjoying something of a renaissance since Rene Meulensteen took over, has commented to the media,

"I want to apologize to the Fulham fans who made the trip because the second half was a poor performance. It hurts for every player and it`s a wake-up for everyone."

"When the fns pay a lot of money to come and watch your team gets beaten like that, it`s painful."

"But I can assure the fans it`s painful for us as well. It hurts because to concede six in one half is tough to take."

"We had done well in the past four or five games, so it`s very disappointing."

So can we get down to business and get back to winning ways this Wednesday please!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=343465#ixzz2p2RKMzez

WhiteJC

'Point at Fulham would be good for West Ham'

WEST Ham assistant boss Neil McDonald insists a New Year's Day point against fellow-strugglers Fulham would be a good result.

With no fit recognised centre-back and attacking players such as Ricardo Vaz Te, Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll all missing West Ham are down to the bare bones as they look to escape from the Premier League relegation zone.

A trip to Craven Cottage on Wednesday follows an enthralling 3-3 draw at home to West Brom at the weekend and, with a treatment room full of first-team regulars, McDonald believes another stalemate would suit the Hammers.

"Not to lose the game is important, that's for sure," McDonald, who was on media duties as manager Sam Allardyce was busy getting ready for January transfer window activity, said when asked if the Fulham clash was a must-win game.

"When you're playing a team in and around you that is the thing to do.

We've scored three goals against West Brom but conceded three, we need to stop conceding and keep scoring. We are creating chances but it is difficult when you haven't got your defenders playing.

"In this scenario, a win is great and puts you right up to the table but it's important not to lose.

"If we had beat West Brom it would have pushed us up the table and then a win at Fulham would have moved us towards halfway.

"That is how very, very close it is and how tight it is and how important it is to pick up points and respect the point if you get it, it could take you further up the league."

With club-record signing Carroll missing since the start of the season it has been in attack where Allardyce's side have struggled most this season.

But, with James Collins, Winston Reid and James Tomkins all out, it is more options in defence which McDonald believes is the manager's immediate priority.

"It looks as though they are not going to be fit for the Fulham game, we will assess them ahead of the Forest game but it is more likely they will be involved in the Cardiff game," he said.

"We have a few defensive problems and with the window coming up Sam is working non stop.

"We need some reinforcements to boost the players we have here so he is working behind the scenes with everyone else. His phone is going non stop.

"We have three main centre halves injured at the moment. We are aiming to improve and the two main places are in defence and in attack."

Modibo Maiga came off the bench to score in the draw with West Brom but it was the Mali international's first Premier League goal in over a year.

Carlton Cole's short-term deal is also drawing to a close and, with Mladen Petric almost certain to leave the club in the coming days, the news that Carroll has started training with his team-mates will be a huge boost to Allardyce.

Having spent last season on loan at Upton Park, the England international moved on a permanent deal during the summer but has been kept on the sidelines with a heel complaint.

McDonald confirmed the 24-year-old is working his way back but that it will take time until Carroll can be welcomed into the first-team fold.

"Andy did a training session yesterday which is very encouraging," added McDonald.

"It's early stages but is a work in progress with him; work one day on the training pitch, massage and rehab the next day and let's see how it goes. It's a positive he is in training but it is a slow process.

"When you are out for seven months I don't think you can rush anybody back. Obviously, we are all desperate for him to come back and get into the team as quickly as possible but we have to be sensible and he is getting closer."

Allardyce could again be forced to play four full-backs in his denfence at Fulham while he also has the option of deploying Alou Diarra at centre-back.

Either way, only a win would give West Ham any chance of getting out of the bottom three – whilst the point gained from a draw could only lift the Hammers as high as 18th.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/football/english-football/point-at-fulham-would-be-good-for-west-ham-1.170846?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker closing on full fitness

Youngster Dembele stepping up recovery from a hamstring injury

Rising star: Moussa Dembele made his first-team debut against West Ham earlier this month
Martin Goldthorpe/Fulham FC

Moussa Dembele is closing in on a first-team return as he battles back from a hamstring injury.

The highly-rated 17-year-old sustained the problem on his senior debut against West Ham earlier this month.

However, Dembele, who has been linked with Liverpool and Manchester United, is nearing full fitness.

Boss Rene Meulensteen said: "I was devastated at West Ham when he got injured.

"He pulled his hamstring. He's close to coming back and I'm looking forward to integrating him into the first-team squad.

"He's a goalscorer and certainly knows where the net is. He's clinical in and around the box and is a good athlete."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-closing-full-fitness-6454935?

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man on the move

Former Fulham midfielder Eyong Enoh is in talks with an unnamed Premier League club and Eintracht Frankfurt over a January transfer, according to Dutch newspaper AD.

The 27-year-old, who made nine league outings while on loan at Fulham last season, is out of favour at Ajax and has failed to make a single appearance for the Dutch giants this term.

Manager Frank de Boer will allow him to leave next month despite the fact he has over 18 months left on his existing deal.

And he has been offered two possible escape routes out of Amsterdam, as Eintracht Frankfurt and an unknown Premier League side are keen to recruit his services over the coming weeks.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/former-fulham-man-move-13123073684#YjWyWGUpAdod3dKG.99

WhiteJC

Meulensteen needs rapid healing process for Fulham

FULHAM manager Rene Meulensteen has already started the process of mending his side's shattered confidence following their 6-0 humbling at Hull.

The Cottagers came into Saturday's match hoping to repeat their away win over Norwich on St Stephen's Day and climb out of the relegation zone for the first time since early November.

But, after gritting out a goalless first half, the wheels came off in spectacular fashion after the break as Hull poured forward and found the net seemingly at will.

Having scored nine goals at home in as many matches, the Tigers took full advantage of some hapless defending and beat David Stockdale on half a dozen occasions in 35 minutes.

Any defeat can be hard to take for a side scrapping for their lives at the wrong end of the table, but this was Fulham's heaviest loss of the Premier League era, and Meulensteen wasted no time in speaking to his players and drawing a line under proceedings at the KC Stadium.

"That is one of the things I addressed straight away in the dressing room: don't let this affect you in up and coming games," he said. "We've got two crucial matches coming up and what we need to do is take it on the chin, learn from it and bounce back.

"We need to look back and make sure don't forget the good things we've tried to create over the last couple of weeks.

React

"We need to make sure we shrug it off and are ready to react against West Ham (on New Year's Day)."

By the time the Hammers visit Craven Cottage, Meulensteen can expect to have a number of first-choice players back in action having made six changes for Hull. With just a day's rest between the St Stephen's Day card and Saturday's fixtures, Fulham were not alone in needing to shuffle the pack and the Dutchman was confident his chosen XI could take something from the trip.

"We always knew it was going to be difficult with two games in three days and you utilise your squad the best possible way you can," he said.

"Because of the intensity of games, you are forced to make changes.

"I was more than confident that the players I picked for this away trip were capable of getting a result and that is why it is so weird."

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/meulensteen-needs-rapid-healing-process-for-fulham-29875457.html

WhiteJC

January window key for Fulham

Fanzoner Andy Lye discusses where Fulham should and could strengthen in the January transfer window, and assesses the festive fixture fallout.

This is roughly the half-way point in the punishing Christmas/New Year schedule, so it seems like a sensible place to take stock. It's still about three weeks of action in one go though. So, deep breath, and don't tell the club we all noticed their attempt to sneak the appointment of Alan Curbishley as a technical director (read: adviser to Rene Meulensteen and future-proofing in the event of relegation) out late Christmas Eve evening.

First there was Man City at The Cottage. We probably should have done more to expose the obvious weak link in their defence (Martin Demichelis), but otherwise we made a pretty decent fist of that game.

However, the highlight for most people has me a little concerned. Adel Taarabt, playing as a lone forward in the absence of Dimitar Berbatov, was fabulous, especially having not had a great deal of first team football this season so far, but there were a couple of signs that the showing was more for his own purposes than ours.

He didn't celebrate Kieran Richardson's goal, despite being the one who made it, he walked straight down the tunnel at the end of the game instead of joining the other players in applauding the crowd, and when Steve Sidwell stole a header from him only to miss the target, he found it merely amusing.

There's no question he was our best player, and playing down the middle is clearly his preferred role, but if those signs are there when he's having a good day, is he still going to be the same strop Harry Redknapp doesn't want back at QPR when he has a bad day? We can't afford that if so.

On to Norwich, with Taarabt starting up front again. He played well, but wasn't as effective. Fortunately, he didn't need to be. After we'd weathered the first 20 minutes or so of pressure from the home side, that game was all us. It did however highlight another shortcoming in the side that we have to address.

We are carrying too many shot-shy players. It needed a moment of brilliance from man-of-the-match Scott Parker to settle the game, but before that there were countless times when our attacks broke down because our midfielders were all looking for a way to pass responsibility to someone else when in or near the Norwich box.

We're getting into scoring positions, which is encouraging, but to put it in all simplicity, if you don't shoot you don't score. The loan signing of Clint Dempsey will hopefully go some way towards that, as he was never shy in front of goal, but only in the short term. He'll be gone by the end of February, so maybe he can inspire a little more bravery in the box before he does.

Last was the misery of Hull on Saturday. Somehow many fans were left confused by the number of changes Rene Meulensteen made to the starting line-up, missing entirely that winning the next two games at home is far more important than damage limitation in a game we were always going to lose anyway.

It was obvious from the moment Giorgos Karagounis was dropped against Norwich that Rene's plan was to rest him so that he could play 90 minutes in Parker's stead against Hull, saving Scott from the risk of a fifth yellow card before the January amnesty, and in turn meaning he was suitably rested for the crunch West Ham game on New Year's Day.

It was therefore equally obvious that he'd do the same in other positions, and after Hugo Rodallega made his return as a second-half substitute at Norwich, the chances of Taarabt being rested and Berbatov not being rushed back were just as high. Indeed all of the changes made at the KC could have been, for any thinking fan, predicted, except maybe Bryan Ruiz being handed a start when Alex Kacaniklic was more deserving of some game time.

We will now see our strongest possible eleven against West Ham, sweeping changes against Norwich in the FA Cup, and the first choice men back again for Sunderland at home in two weeks. It's all part of the plan.

A 6-0 scoreline probably wasn't, but losing should not come as a surprise or a disappointment to anyone. We'd forfeited the game anyway. The size of the defeat though has shown up just how lacking our back-up defensive players are.

Fernando Amorebieta and Elsad Zverotic make me nervous just by being on the bench. They are not cut out for the Premier League and need to go back to a European league where more time on the ball and less physical forwards are normality. The number of times Zverotic (who was not alone) just stood still and watched Hull players pounce on second balls was disgraceful. Three of the six goals were because of this.

So it's time to draw up a January shopping list, and at least one top-class centre back has got to be first priority. We're missing Brede Hangeland more than ever, particularly in the height department, and when it gets to the point where our most reliable central defender is Philippe Senderos, something is badly wrong.

After that, it depends how ruthless we want to be and how much money we want to spend. On the conservative side, we probably need a genuinely creative number ten, a left-back and a reserve right-back. However, if we're brutally honest, we need better players all over the pitch.

That might be unfair on some members of the current squad, who are sincerely giving their all, but if we want to progress then in some cases (Riise, Richardson, Rodellega, Ruiz) their all isn't good enough. That kind of cut-throat overhaul will have to wait though. The season needs saving first, and that means plugging the most serious gaps. If Berbatov does leave, a finisher is another one of those.

Where we're going to struggle is the new loan signings rule. In an ideal world six-month loan signings would probably be our preferred territory at this time. Players would be more likely to accept because it gives them a guaranteed out if we go down, we won't have to find transfer funds, we won't be locked in to keeping stop-gap players, and so on and so forth.

The league is full of players, especially strikers, who aren't getting much game time because everyone wants to play with one up front these days (either through fear of losing, or Barcelona-esque aspirations) and most of them could be tempted by a loan signing somewhere they're going to actually play, even if it's just to prove their worth to their parent club. Especially those looking to be part of their national squad in Brazil. Not that this tactic has worked with Darren Bent, but the logic is still sound.

Since we already have Bent and Taarabt on loan from domestic clubs though, none of that is possible as only two are permitted at any one time. I'd send Bent back to free up a space, but that's unlikely too.

We could start using the likes of Lasse Christensen, Chris David, and (when fit again) Moussa Dembele instead, but we can't let January pass in the hope they come good only to find they're not up to it. That leaves loans from foreign leagues (which count as regular transfers), and permanent signings.

I can see us going for the loans from abroad, especially as the Premier League rejected the five-player starting-11 foreign loanee cap that the Football League adopted, because with purchases, the question is not only can we afford the quality of players we need, but can we convince them to come to a club which may not stay up?

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/9094533/January-window-key-for-Fulham?

WhiteJC

The Dempsey Dilemma: Welcoming Clint Back to SW6
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on DECEMBER 30, 2013

Over the past week or so, the news surfaced that Clint Dempsey is to return to Fulham on a short term loan for the remainder of the Major League Soccer off-season. Amongst the Fulham fanbase, debate has inevitably circled back to the manner in which the American left Craven Cottage when he moved to Tottenham 18 months ago.

Demspey's deadline day departure in 2012 was a somewhat traumatic event (as far as transfers go) that is now entrenched in the collective memory of Fulham supporters. Such are the positive memories attached to Clint's play for Fulham over the five years he was here, that the way his exit is viewed negatively, and how that exit then affects our memory and perception of the Texan is entirely fascinating.

Do we let the animosity of his departure from SW6 cloud the memory of our preexisting fondness for the man who is Fulham's record Premier League goalscorer, not to mention scorer of that goal against Juventus?

It is a tough question, and one where the answer will be different for each of us.

Turning back the clock 18 months, Clint's departure from Fulham did not come as a shock. The writing was on the wall from as soon as the summer window opened in July 2012 that Fulham should be looking to accept the inevitable and get the best price for their star man. Unfortunately for all involved, what transpired was Dempsey's exit becoming a prolonged saga, which dragged his name through the mud and out the other side to an unfulfilling stint at Tottenham.

At a club like Fulham, there is a natural level of expectation that your biggest stars will eventually leave for pastures new. In recent years the likes of Edwin Van Der Sar, Louis Saha, Steed Malbranque, Chris Smalling and Mousa Dembele have all left for Manchester United or Tottenham Hotspur. There is little to no ill-will towards any of these players. They played their socks off for Fulham and moved on to bigger clubs with humility.

What happened with Dempsey, and with others, such as Jimmy Bullard, was that the move was not transacted behind the privacy of closed doors. Dempsey's move was played out in the media on both sides of the Atlantic, with Dempsey seemingly having his head turned by persistent talk of a move, especially amongst the press in his homeland who had what appeared an insatiable appetite to see Dempsey play at a club of more renown than Fulham.

Such consistently good performances for Fulham were clearly seen as an indication by some (be they Dempsey's advisors, sports writers back in his homeland or even the man himself) that he could do bigger and better things. If his head wasn't turned by media talk or his own self-awareness of his ever-improving performances, the public overtures from Liverpool will have done the trick.

However, we are all human, and we must remember that this goes for international stars like Clint as well as you and me. Like Roy Hodgson a summer previous, to have Liverpool, undeniably one of the World's biggest clubs, come calling is some ego boost and a hard proposition to turn down. A club in transition themselves at that time, a move to Liverpool may actually have worked for Dempsey, but it never came to fruition for one reason or another despite a story appearing on NESN.com, the website of the Liverpool owners Boston based television station.

Once he put himself out there, expressing a desire to move to Anfield (as was reported at the time, Dempsey was said to pull out of a preseason training camp in Switzerland in an attempt to force the move), there was unlikely to be any backing down from the player himself. With Liverpool unwilling to meet Fulham's asking price it would then have taken an extraordinary act of humility to come back, tail between the legs and give 100% for a club that you had mentally moved on from.

Unfortunately for Clint, concurrently Mousa Dembele did just that. Linked with Manchester United and Real Madrid, Dembele gave his all until the day he left, with a man of the match display against Manchester United in his final appearance. Albeit he left a year too soon and to the wrong club, but that is a different matter for a different day.

Call it what you will, but whether it was a deliberate strike and refusal to play for fear of jeopardising a transfer, or simply not being mentally prepared enough for the manager to select him, we never saw Dempsey in a Fulham shirt again.

The prospect of fame and riches (Spurs reportedly tripled his wages) will do strange things to a man. Personal ambition is also not a crime. After five years of service Clint was entitled to dream big. Personally I would blame the media coverage back in the US for much of the debacle. Fulham, whilst getting coverage internationally because of players like Dempsey, were never a big enough entity to satiate the appetite of the US media for their biggest soccer star and national team captain. Gone were the McBride led Fulhamerica days when US audiences were just glad to have a player in the Premierleague. Liverpool, a US owned world famous club would have satisfied this demand. Eventually backed into a corner, a move to Tottenham was all that was left after Aston Villa were the only other club to publicly come in for Dempsey at the last minute.

Now at the Seattle Sounders, Dempsey admitted defeat in pursuit of success at Spurs and took on a far nobler, if well-paid challenge. To return back to his homeland as the face of a sport is a challenge that signals the magnitude of Dempsey's star in America. To do so not at one of the glamour sides in New York or Los Angeles like those stars before him, but at well supported Seattle also shows that Dempsey is not a celebrity footballer, but one who simply wants to play and achieve things.

Whilst the circumstances of his departure were undeniably acrimonious, it is my personal hope that Clint is welcomed back into the Fulham Family with open arms. His humble and frank welcome back interview published on the Fulham website on Christmas Eve was indicative of the type of genuine and humble Clint that we got to know and love over his time here first time around. His personal slap on the wrist style admission of the grass not being greener and a reference to Fulham as home show that Clint as a not just a player, but a person, is someone we can be proud to have home.

It may only be a short two month spell for Dempsey back at Craven Cottage and Derek Boateng may have current claim to his famous '23' shirt (a shame considering how rarely he gets to wear it), but Clint's time here could prove vital to our season. It is a great move by the club getting the deal sealed prior to January 1st. A week's training, fitness and tactical integration into the new Meulensteen and Curbishley set up will stand Dempsey and the rest of the squad in good stead, even if the player can't be registered in time for the New Years Day's fixture at home to West Ham.

There are seven league fixtures and at least one cup tie for Dempsey to potentially partake in over the course of January and February. With Chelsea at home scheduled for the 1st March, Fulham will hopefully be able to get permission to extend the loan by one day as well.

After the anomaly at Hull, Dempsey's arrival could provide a timely boost to the confidence and goal scoring capabilities of Rene's men. The immediate nature of his joining also provides the club with a bit of a time buffer regarding other January signings not needing to be rushed through. That said, Demspey returns to America's Pacific Northwest in March so signings beyond him are required if Fulham's future is to be secured.

For now though, welcome home Clint. Its great to have you back.

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/12/the-dempsey-dilemma-welcoming-clint-back-to-sw6/?

WhiteJC

For Arsenal, Berbatov makes perfect sense

Olivier Giroud scored against Newcastle on Sunday to gift Arsenal a 1-0 win and, more importantly, send them above Manchester City at the top of the Premier League table. The French striker had not scored since grabbing a brace against Southampton just over a month previously and so his deft header past Tim Krul inside St James' Park was celebrated with a sense of relief.

Giroud has been Arsene Wenger's only true quality option to lead the Arsenal line, as reserve striker Nicklas Bendtner is yet to prove he has the right attitude and goal instinct to be worthy of more than the seven starts he has accumulated this season thus far. That has at times placed a burden on Giroud and has unjustly exposed him to greater scrutiny when he is struggling through a bad patch of form.

He has netted eight times this season in the league, including the winner against Newcastle at the weekend, and has missed only the game versus Hull at the start of December. Wenger has conceded recently that his French striker needs a rest, but he is struggling to find a place in the fixture list. Luckily for the Arsenal boss, his concerns about his "lightweight" squad coincide with the opening of the January transfer market.

In truth, the winter window lacks quality merchandise and Wenger has not been shy in the past to voice his reluctance to go out shopping at this time of year. Clubs are rightly not willing to let go of their best players in the middle of a season, especially if doing so is likely to strengthen a direct competitor. That means greater nous is required to add one or two stellar players who are searching for a move, being allowed to go and can actively contribute in the second half of the season.

For Arsene Wenger, options are limited. Reports have linked Arsenal with marquee signings, such as Diego Costa, equal to that of Mesut Özil's arrival in the summer. The chances of such happening are slim and have the potential to disrupt the unity that has fired the Gunners to the summit of the Premier League. Another hurdle is Atletico Madrid's stubborn stance: "Right now [Diego] Costa does not think of leaving, he is contracted to Atletico," said Director of Football Jose Luis Caminero.

A six-month loan deal for Real Madrid's Alvaro Morata has been enticing the North London club's radar too, but the Spanish Under-21 international symbolises somewhat of a gamble if Arsenal were to add him to their ranks. There is no doubting Morata's raw talent and ability to compete at a higher level than his age would suggest, yet the Premier League poses a tough environment to adapt to. It would be problematic both to Arsenal and Morata's own development.

Therefore Wenger must look in-house and the answer lies in the relegation zone. Dimitar Berbatov is the only ounce of genuine quality in a troubled Fulham side that currently sit 18th in the table, although his unconvincing return of three goals this season have contributed to the Cottagers poor league position and the dismissal of Martin Jol earlier in the season.

But the 32-year old striker has the experience and the desired technique that would further strengthen Arsenal's title crusade. Wenger is after additions, but additions that share his squad's philosophy: "we have a team that is a bit short, lightweight but more focused on mobility and technical movement," Wenger said. Set in the mould of Giroud, Berbatov is comfortable playing with his back to goal and drawing midfielders' qualities to attacks. If Arsenal were to sign a striker who runs beyond the defensive line, it would in turn disrupt their tactical approach in a season which has seen them accumulate 42 points from 19 games. Berbatov has the ability to emulate Giroud's deft touch and playmaker-esque role, but is also at a stage in his career where a place in the starting line-up is not always expected.

In 2009 and 2011 the Bulgarian striker won the title with Manchester United. In those seasons, particularly the latter, Alex Ferguson enticed a fairly respectable work-rate from Berbatov, who in turn repaid with the top scorer accolade.  His work-rate would be the only worry for Arsenal, yet the fact that his agent, Emil Dantchev, announced at the beginning of December that the striker was "not happy" at Craven Cottage, displays a present hunger to achieve at the highest level. "The priority is to find a solution to stay in England," Dantchev added.

Giroud told French TV station Canal+ after the victory over Newcastle that Arsenal do not need to buy a striker in January. The Frenchman believes that Theo Walcott and a fresh Lukas Podolski have the quality to replace him in attack if he was to take a breather.

For a match or two against weaker opposition maybe, but to paper over the crack of another potential Giroud dry spell, surely not. For Arsene Wenger and Arsenal to claim a first Premier League title in 10 years over the supreme squads of Chelsea and Manchester City, a second Giroud is needed in order to score goals, bring title-winning mentality and keep Arsenal being Arsenal.

http://sofafootball.com/for-arsenal-berbatov-makes-perfect-sense/?

WhiteJC

Wilkins Appointed

Fulham Football Club today confirmed that it has added to its First Team Staff, and René Meulensteen will be joined in the dugout by Ray Wilkins as Assistant Head Coach.

The addition of Ray, along with that of Alan Curbishley on Christmas Eve, provides the Club with the experience and expertise necessary as it aims to secure Barclays Premier League status for a 14th consecutive season.

Speaking today, René Meulensteen said: "I am delighted that the Chairman and the CEO have, again, backed my desire for further experience and support within the backroom staff. Retaining our status of being a Barclays Premier League Club next season is vitally important to our long term plans, and I know that Ray's own experience and his knowledge of the game will be a vital component in our success."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/december/30/wilkins-appointed?

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Ham: Hammers can continue good record at Craven Cottage
Back Allardyce's side for victory in west London but expect goals at both ends

Both Fulham and West Ham will be hoping it's a case of new year, new start as the London clubs face off in a relegation six-pointer at Craven Cottage on New Year's Day.

The Cottagers, who have just one win in their last five games at home, suffered a humiliating 6-0 defeat at the hands of the Steve Bruce's Hull City last time, piling the pressure on head coach René Meulensteen to start producing results soon.

The west Londoners are 29/20 to secure a much needed three points against a Hammers side who have only tasted defeat twice in their last 10 visits to Fulham.

With defeat spelling disaster for two sides struggling for confidence backing the draw at 23/10 might be the most pragmatic option.

But our news team believes siding with West Ham , who have won on six of their last 10 trips to west London, is where the value could lie.

Sam Allardyce's side, who are 19/10 with Ladbrokes for another Craven Cottage victory, will have been boosted by their 3-3 draw with West Brom, where they had plenty of chances to win the game.

Despite an away record which reads five games, four defeats and a draw, the east London outfit, with the likes of Carlton Cole, Joe Cole, Mohamed Diame and Kevin Nolan at their disposal, have the firepower to cause a Fulham defence which has conceded 15 goals in four games plenty of problems.

And as both teams concede as many as they score in recent weeks it might prove a wise move to back a West Ham win and over 2.5 goals being scored in the match at 10/3.

Elsewhere, Joe Cole got back on the scoresheet with the first goal in the draw with WBA and the former England international, who also notched the opener in West ham's opening match of the season against Cardiff, is 10/1 to repeat the trick against Fulham.

The 32-year-old helped the Hammers to a 3-0 victory in the reverse fixture at Upton Park in November, grabbing the final goal of the game and he is 10/1 again to round off the scoring.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-v-west-ham-hammers-can-continue-good-record-at-craven-cottage_182197.html

WhiteJC

Premier League: Ray Wilkins joins Fulham as assistant head coach

Ray Wilkins: Returning to the dug-out at Fulham as assistant head coach

Fulham have confirmed the appointment of Ray Wilkins as assistant head coach.

Rene Meulensteen, who himself only took over the reins from Martin Jol at the beginning of the month, has welcomed the return of the former manager.

Meulensteen said: "I am delighted that the Chairman and the CEO have, again, backed my desire for further experience and support within the backroom staff.

"Retaining our status of being a Premier League club next season is vitally important to our long term plans, and I know that Ray's own experience and his knowledge of the game will be a vital component in our success."

Wilkins became the manager of Fulham in 1997, with former England team-mate Kevin Keegan working under him.

Wilkins took the side to the Second Division play-offs, but was sacked by chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed after Fulham lost the last three games of the regular season.

After leaving Fulham, Wilkins worked as a coach at Watford, Millwall and Chelsea. He left his post at Stamford Bridge in November 2010 and has been working as a Sky Sports pundit.

It is the second backroom addition at Fulham in the past seven days; Alan Curbishley joined as first team technical director on Christmas Eve.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9094739?

WhiteJC

Fulham to bid for West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison
Brazen Fulham suffer six-strike humbling at Hull but have confidence to covet England Under-21 international Ravel Morrison from relegation rivals West Ham

Bargain: West Ham are rumoured to reluctantly let Revel Morrison leave if they receive the right offer to raise money for new signings
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Fulham are poised to make an audacious bid to try to sign Ravel Morrison – immediately after their relegation six-pointer against West Ham.

They realise the likelihood of them landing the England Under-21 international is remote, but that will not stop them becoming the first club to attempt to take advantage of his contract situation.

Morrison has only 18 months remaining on his West Ham deal, which is littered with clauses. There is a straight £18 million release clause and another that states West Ham would have to quadruple the midfielder's wages to £60,000 a week if they receive a £10 million bid and want to keep him.

While Fulham will not bid anywhere near those figures, it is understood West Ham may reluctantly let Morrison, 20, leave this month if they receive the right offer to raise money for new signings. But they would not be keen to sell to one of their relegation rivals. Fulham are just a point ahead of Sam Allardyce's team in the bottom three, ahead of tomorrow's clash at Craven Cottage.

Newcastle also hold a long-standing interest in Morrison, while a host of big clubs are monitoring the situation and could act if they sense the opportunity of landing a bargain.

Fulham, who on Monday named Ray Wilkins as assistant head coach, are likely to test the water with a bid of around £4 million, plus add-ons, and offer Morrison a significant increase to his £15,000-a-week wages.

Head coach Rene Meulensteen is a big fan of Morrison, having worked with him at Manchester United and sees this as a unique chance to try to secure a transfer coup.

Even if West Ham accept a bid from Fulham for Morrison, Meulensteen would face a tough task to convince the player that a move to Craven Cottage would not be a sideways step.

Morrison has missed West Ham's last two games with a groin problem and will undergo a late fitness test before a decision is made on whether he can face Fulham.

Allardyce will try to offload at least three more players to try to free money and cash for new signings, with Jack Collison, Matt Taylor and Ricardo Vaz Te all available.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10543383/Fulham-to-bid-for-West-Ham-midfielder-Ravel-Morrison.html

WhiteJC

Andy Carroll returns for West Ham and could feature against Fulham
ANDY CARROLL has returned to full training as he bids to end his injury hell at West Ham.

The £15m record signing has yet to kick a ball this season having spent his time in two European rehab centres recovering from a heel problem. But there now appears to be light at the end of the tunnel with the striker's woes set to end.

The news will come as a major boost for Sam Allardyce, who is pinning his hopes on Carroll to lift his struggling side to safety.

Hammers assistant boss Neil McDonald said: "Andy has done a training session which is encouraging. It is a positive and a good sign that he is in
training. Of course it's good to have him on the training field and joining in with the football with a select group.

"But it's a slowprogress. When you are out for seven months you can't rush him back. We want him back, but we have to be careful.

"He had a couple of sessions before and it went again so we have to be careful with him."

West Ham are facing a defensive crisis for tomorrow's London derby with fellow strugglers Fulham.

James Collins and James Tomkins are almost certainly out and Allardyce could be forced to throw full-backs Razvan Rat and Joey O'Brien in at centre-back.

Carlton Cole, whose short-term contract expires next month, is certain to figure as he plays his way to a new deal after three goals in his last six games.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/358173/Andy-Carroll-returns-for-West-Ham-and-could-feature-against-Fulham