watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could the game be postponed?

Started by epsomraver, December 31, 2013, 12:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wimbledon_White

I am getting married at Thames Rowing Club (right where that last picture posted by MOR is taken) next August...let's hope we have a good summer. I want to have photos on the banks of the Thames.

MOR :

Quote from: Peabody on December 31, 2013, 01:09:20 PM
Reminds me of my wedding reception back in 1964. We held it at the Star & Garter, which, for those of you who don't know, is right by Putney Bridge, facing the Thames and the road alongside is prone to flooding at high tide. Anyway, one or two of guests did own cars back then and despite warnings, parked on this road by Putney Pier. You can guess what happened.

I also had my Wedding Reception at The Star & Garter upstairs back in 1980...

fulhamben

Quote from: MOR : on December 31, 2013, 01:46:29 PM
This is along Beverley Brook Walk

looks like the thames barrier is doing its job well then
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Burt

I had my first ever date as a spotty oik of a teenager in the Star & Garter!

Blimey...that's going back a few years now...cracking girl... *sigh*

The Doctor

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on December 31, 2013, 02:47:16 PM
I am getting married at Thames Rowing Club (right where that last picture posted by MOR is taken) next August...let's hope we have a good summer. I want to have photos on the banks of the Thames.

Good friends of mine had their wedding reception at one of the rowing clubs along there in August 2006.  Cracking venue.  Congratulations and hope all the planning/preparation goes smoothly and that you all have a great time.

As for the floods, I very much doubt those will result in a postponement.  The EA's advice applies to the right hand (Putney) side of the channel which - as others have noted - is lower lying than the left hand bank.  What's more, the map referred to in that BBC is NOT the area the EA expect to be flooded.  It's the area they issue flood alerts to (probably analagous to something like the modelled 0.5% probability of that area being flooded in any given year).  And there I was promising myself I'd not be doing any work over the Christmas break!

Happy New Year all

RidgeRider

Dumb question but why is the river so high? I get the high/low tide part, but has it been raining heavily for the past week or so?

The Doctor

Yeah, we've had a lot of rain this past couple of weeks.  To some degree the Agency can regulate the river level so as to minimise the combined effect of runoff and tides in London.  They'd be remiss if they didn't at least warn people in those areas prone to fairly regular flooding though

Burt

Most full tides and you get the river pretty close to the tops of the banks on that side of the river. The river does come over on a regular basis, but only enough to go part way across the road and wet the tires of cars parked there.

The danger is parking on the ramps down to the river from the rowing clubs...

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Time & tide wait for no man...

except for Rene & the Lillywhites of course

Come on fellas time to get one over Wet Spam - it's well overdue after all

Chaucer's the name & Poetry's the game

Andy S

Does insurance pay out on parking in an area that is designated as prone to flooding

Travers Barney

I believe serial killer John Christie was captured and arrested outside the Star and Garter...celebrated my wedding anniversary in there a few years back prior to an evening game against Boro...we lost of course.

HNY all and lets hope for a rousing win before a partisan and official influencing home crowd tomorrow.

coyw
We are the whites

somerset cockernee

LBNo11

Quote from: somerset cockernee on December 31, 2013, 09:34:52 PM
anyone remember this occasion ?

...yes, that was after Johnny Byrne and Brian Dear jumped into the Thames to celebrate a rare Fulham goal...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ScalleysDad

The weather outside is frightful ................... and looks set for the day.
Unfazed we are off and pending no morons on the road, flooding and a parking space we should be in our seats in time for the warm ups. Brolly and snorkling gear packed.

Lets do it to them before they even think of doing it to us ........................ as somebody once said, probably.

Burt

Absolutely chucking it down... Started off at around 2am when we went home and I don't think there has been much let-up since. Take care, for those of you travelling in by car...

Holders

I hope it's not as bad in London as it is in the SW.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Gozorich

Quote from: Burt on December 31, 2013, 03:12:38 PM
I had my first ever date as a spotty oik of a teenager in the Star & Garter!

Blimey...that's going back a few years now...cracking girl... *sigh*

I'm going to tell your wife what you said, especially the sigh, HE, he,he. 086.gif