https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could the game be postponed?

Started by epsomraver, December 31, 2013, 12:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

From local BBC

FLOOD WARNING
0945: The Environment Agency has issued a flood alert for the Thames riverside from Putney Bridge to Teddington Weir, including Putney Embankment, Chiswick Mall and Strand on the Green. There is a map of the affected area.

dannydog

epsomraver

Quote from: dannydog on December 31, 2013, 12:40:00 PM
May depend on the tide I suppose.

AS THEY KNOW WHAT TIME HIGH TIDE IS, THAT IS WHAT THE WARNING IS FOR

dannydog

Why the caps are you shouting at me ?

west kowloon white

Don't shout at me but what time is high tide?tks

epsomraver

NO, got caps lock stuck as I type at 60 words an hour takes too long to redo.

epsomraver

13.01 high tide today

Tides at Putney Bridge
for today and tomorrow
Tuesday
31 Dec 2013   Wednesday
1 Jan 2014
time   ht   time   ht
High   00:35   6.8   01:34   7.0
Low   08:15   0.9   08:52   0.7
High   13:01   6.9   13:58   7.2
Low   20:49   0.8   21:16   0.7
at 2 pm , just an hour before the match, could be problems with parking near Putney Bridge

Kent Cassandra

I remember it getting flooded some years ago, I was parked on the embankment by Putney bridge and when I came back after the match my car was in two feet of water.
Didn't affect Craven Cottage though.   I think it is a bit lower on the Surrey side.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

epsomraver

Problem is with a very high tide the surface water has no where to go and as you say it can be dodgy parking any where near the boat houses

Holders

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on December 31, 2013, 12:51:34 PM
I remember it getting flooded some years ago, I was parked on the embankment by Putney bridge and when I came back after the match my car was in two feet of water.
Didn't affect Craven Cottage though.   I think it is a bit lower on the Surrey side.

Yes, people on that side sometimes get caught out - especially those who park on the slipway (if you're still allowed). Shouldn't affect the game and I hope not as they have a lot of injuries including Carroll.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Burt

This won't impact the ground. The opposite bank may get trashed a bit, don't park on the road running along the river. The side roads leading away generally go up hill and will be fine.

It has been raining a lot here, so given all the rain we have had over the past couple of weeks I think the pitch will be heavy going. I doubt there will be enough for standing water and postponement though.

Peabody

Reminds me of my wedding reception back in 1964. We held it at the Star & Garter, which, for those of you who don't know, is right by Putney Bridge, facing the Thames and the road alongside is prone to flooding at high tide. Anyway, one or two of guests did own cars back then and despite warnings, parked on this road by Putney Pier. You can guess what happened.

ScalleysDad

I flippin hope not. We are driving through two flood watch areas to get to the game and Stonehenge will be a mess regardless of any more rain coming down.
If anybody hears/has any local knowledge before 9am tomorrow can you do me a big favour and post it on here. Ta

MOR :

Should be alright on the Cottage side but...

Wimbledon_White

Crikey, when were those pictures taken?

MOR :

This is along Beverley Brook Walk

MOR :

Beamer

Let's hope not as they have a massive injury list (every bit as bad as ours if not worse) and this could be a great time to play them especially as the players should be determined to show that Hull was a blip.

Burt

Quote from: Peabody on December 31, 2013, 01:09:20 PM
Reminds me of my wedding reception back in 1964. We held it at the Star & Garter, which, for those of you who don't know, is right by Putney Bridge, facing the Thames and the road alongside is prone to flooding at high tide. Anyway, one or two of guests did own cars back then and despite warnings, parked on this road by Putney Pier. You can guess what happened.

A picture from the time...  :dft011: