watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

great win - but defence is a shambles

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, January 01, 2014, 04:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

We always look shaky at the back. Hull result could happen again. We need to buy two quality defenders in jan.

rockieroad

Having to hold your breath anytime the opposition gets the ball is worrisome. Hopefully this gets sorted in the window and hangeland comes back strong

Logicalman

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 01, 2014, 04:57:29 PM
We always look shaky at the back. Hull result could happen again. We need to buy two quality defenders in jan.

:plus one:  Exactly put.

Bassey the warrior

Agreed. Though I think one defender will do. Hughes and Amorebieta are decent. We need to spend on other areas don't forget.

Logicalman

I don't disagree Moose, will depend on the size of the war chest provided, though to take a leaf out of Roys book, he started with strengthening the defense, then worked forwards until he got the balance right, just a pity the age was against us keeping that team for more than a few years.

FPT

Hopefully, now with the Christmas period ending and the Premier League resuming normality, Ray Wilkins can start to work his magic on the defence, and January can see us bring in a quicker centre back.

MasterHaynes

Difficult one for Rene, he has Hangeland starting Training next week with a possible return in Feb, we sign a player in late Jan -the better players only seem to move at the end of the window unless big bucks are thrown at a player -  so may be buying unnecessarily. We have Burn to come back in the summer, nigh on an everpresent for Birmingham this season. This week saw Arthurworrey shipped to Tranmere, going straight into their team against top of the table Wolves playing all 90 minutes in a feisty 1-1 draw.
Bringing in more centre halves might just creaie a bigger problem in the summer, Rene's looking to ship out at least 3 from the current 4 we have.

sunburywhite

I didn't see Arthurworrey had got loaned out

Any news on how he played?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

Can we really risk waiting for 4 weeks or so, by which time the window will be shut, to see if Brede returns as his old self and is capable of shoring up our fragile defence.

Our defence is rickety and better teams than West Ham will take us apart. A new quality central defender is a priority.

Burt

I agree.

West Ham offered little and were mediocre yet every time they came forward (not that often, granted) I was chewing my nails...

hovewhite

Amoiriabeta seems to be setteling into the team at last so one quality    CB should be enough.,.
As we need a quality  CM also.

nose

whilst there were clearly long periods, especially at the start when the center of defence looked excessively shaky, I did think the conditions were a nightmare for the central defenders and senderos, just returning from injury, looked extremely rusty. Too often it looked like the defenders did not play to the goalkeepers call either... i obviously don't know if that is because of the weather, the language, stockdale is not loud enough or just that they had stinkers at the back.

in any event we won and rene has a few days to work on the team again.