watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could someone explain to me...

Started by Count Berbatov, January 01, 2014, 04:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

Like so much we seem to have done over the last few years, it feels to me like short term solutions with no real long term plan.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

EJL

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 01, 2014, 05:19:31 PM
I'm not sure if Rene really wanted them.  If he did, he shouldn't have.  It's a very confusing management structure for the players and the coaches  that invites indecision and a drop in morale.
Nogood "lack of clarity, isit" Boyo
Meulensteen's interview with Sarah Brookes on the club's website leads me to believe that Wilkins and Curbishley were his choices. Whether or not their appointments are the CORRECT decision is another thing, I agree with you, but René's either happy with the pair's arrival or he's a very, very good liar.

Count Berbatov

Fellas, do you really think they won't influence Rene?  
Again, he was doing a fine job with whoever was by his side at the time.
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Furby

Quote from: Pluto on January 01, 2014, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 01, 2014, 05:58:46 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on January 01, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 01, 2014, 05:19:31 PM
I'm not sure if Rene really wanted them.  If he did, he shouldn't have.  It's a very confusing management structure for the players and the coaches  that invites indecision and a drop in morale.
Nogood "lack of clarity, isit" Boyo

Outside of just personal opinion based upon knowledge of their past roles, how are you informed of this?

I'm no fan of the Curbishly appointment by the way. I'm not necessarily against it either.

20 years in the corporate world on either side of the Atlantic, Toodles.  And also a long time study of the First World War.   Lots of management issues in there.  A loose committee of individuals at the helm who don't know each other is usually a recipe for disaster.  The bridge of a ship only works with one captain.  A company with co-CEO's is a poor investment.  A football club with lots of chiefs and unknown or unclear lines of communication is equally baffling for all concerned.
It's my personal opinion, but I think Fulham's new management structure smacks of debilitating weakness.  I hope I'm proved wrong.
Nogood "good points today though, isit" Boyo

I don't understand why people are upset about this. No other premier league manager is asked to run the side without a back room team so why should we be any different? Jol took his entire team with him when be left so new coaches and a new assistant were required. Wilkins is an experienced hand who was widely lauded for fulfilling the duties of a good assistant at Chelsea and is known as an excellent defense coach. In my view that makes him perfect for the role. As far as Curbishley is concerned, many clubs nowadays use a director of football, a lot of them very sucessful. As far as I can see Curbs will fulfil a similar role plus provide a voice for Rene to bounce ideas off, since he is a new manager and is relatively inexperienced. These appointments can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I'm with Pluto on this. I don't know why people keep questioning these appointments. Who on here has actually worked with Butch or Curbs? They're no mugs and have an excellent pedigree in playing as well as coaching. So who are we to judge whoever made the decision to employ them in their particular roles. As long as the players react in a positive way what bad can come of it? If we get the results needed to stay up and play decent football along the way then I'm sure Rene will get the job full time. Whether Wilkins or Curbishley will be here next year is another matter, but let's get this seasons target accomplished first.

Furby

Quote from: Count Berbatov on January 01, 2014, 06:23:33 PM
Fellas, do you really think they won't influence Rene? 
Again, he was doing a fine job with whoever was by his side at the time.

I don't know about influence him, but to give him another way of looking at things then yes. But that's a good thing.
He was doing a fine job and still is. But with the transfer window opening it was a tough ask for him to deal with all elements of managing the team. SAF didn't coach Man Utd on the training ground for the last couple of years and he bought in a number of assistants over the years. Its the basic team of staff for top teams these days.

Aaron

I have to admit..  If you could some how mash the best parts of our three wise men into one super manager, he'd be one hell of a proposition..

RM was hired to play second fiddle for Jol.  Whatever the game plan was to be, involved the two of them working in tandem.  Fast forward a couple of weeks and RM's left holding the reigns by himself.  Does it not seem reasonable that we'd hire someone to fill whatever void was left from Jol's departure?

Curbishley has a fantastic record with mid-level premier league clubs.  He has a lot of experience and is a real football man.  He wasn't hired as a replacement in waiting, that makes no sense.  It's not as if he's been inundated with offers in the last 5 years, so why hire him now and put undue pressure on RM unless he brings something to the table?  Curbishley is a long way from the clown that some folks on this board portray him to be.  He might end up taking over if RM blows up, but that's not why he's here right now.

From the comments I've heard from his colleagues through the media, Ray Wilkins is rather well respected as a coach.  His record isn't the best considering Mo sacked him, Stuart Pearce didn't want him and he also fell victim to the revolving door at Chelsea, but if you were to pick 3 people known for being a little crazy or eccentric when it comes to their attitude to football Mo, Pearce and Abramovich would be at the top of that list, so I question whether it's a fair reflection upon him.  There's less room for confusion with the Wilkins role either.  He's "Assistant Head Coach" so I'd have thought it was pretty clear what his job entails.

Rene is Vito, Ray is Sonny and Curbs is Tom Hagan.  That's how I see it anyways.

Admin

Quote from: Count Berbatov on January 01, 2014, 04:58:48 PM
...what are Curbishley and Wilkins' roles. And what do Rene needs them for?

The team was playing fine before them arriving. Rene was doing a great job by himself.

Just saying

Believe me, that squad, those players, will not survive the season just on Rene's good will alone. Yes he's a good coach, yes he seems to say all the right words, and yes he seems to organise that team well for now, but..

Like anything, luck, will power, new manager syndrome and everything else, will at some point take a dip and when the going gets tough, Rene' will need experienced men around him.

Regardless of how good people think Rene' is, or how goo he will be, he will not be able to do this on his own, he doesn't have the managerial experience, especially at Fulham's level when we are fighting relegation.

Curbishley, Technical Director, Dogs Body, or what ever people want to call him, is merely hear for Rene's purpose. He's a wealth of experience, old head on new shoulders, been there, done that, has gone through relegation twice, knows the drill.

If Rene' overachieves this season, keeps Fulham up, shows signs of being an able manager, then you'll prob find that Curbishley will slip off into the night, with a big big bonus to his name. If Rene' doesn't succeeded, then you'll find Curbishley waiting in the wings and to be honest, wouldn't be a bad shout for a Championship manager. The club are just covering their ass.

As for Wilkins, he's best replacement since Lewington in my eye's, a real man manager of players, a very good No.2, a not so good No.1.

I or one see the purpose in all this.    

Army Bloke

When Jol went, didn't his entire backroom staff go with him - Cok et al?  Nobody replaced them did they...?  In fact, didn't Kit Symons step up from the youth setup to help out?
Now...couldn't it just be that Curbs and Wilkins have actually replaced people that have departed with actually NO sinister motive behind it al all...? 075.gif
Imagine that eh...

win-dup

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on January 01, 2014, 05:09:26 PM
I have a sickening feeling that Curbishly is waiting in the wings......a ready and waiting replacement for RM. Call him TD if you will.

Thought I read that Wilkins was around for his man management. I don't really know enough about him to agree with or dispute that assessment.

why a sickening feeling? Charlton have been a shambles since he left. Don't understand such negativity about the guy.

win-dup

Quote from: Aaron on January 01, 2014, 07:16:11 PM
I have to admit..  If you could some how mash the best parts of our three wise men into one super manager, he'd be one hell of a proposition..

RM was hired to play second fiddle for Jol.  Whatever the game plan was to be, involved the two of them working in tandem.  Fast forward a couple of weeks and RM's left holding the reigns by himself.  Does it not seem reasonable that we'd hire someone to fill whatever void was left from Jol's departure?

Curbishley has a fantastic record with mid-level premier league clubs.  He has a lot of experience and is a real football man.  He wasn't hired as a replacement in waiting, that makes no sense.  It's not as if he's been inundated with offers in the last 5 years, so why hire him now and put undue pressure on RM unless he brings something to the table?  Curbishley is a long way from the clown that some folks on this board portray him to be.  He might end up taking over if RM blows up, but that's not why he's here right now.

From the comments I've heard from his colleagues through the media, Ray Wilkins is rather well respected as a coach.  His record isn't the best considering Mo sacked him, Stuart Pearce didn't want him and he also fell victim to the revolving door at Chelsea, but if you were to pick 3 people known for being a little crazy or eccentric when it comes to their attitude to football Mo, Pearce and Abramovich would be at the top of that list, so I question whether it's a fair reflection upon him.  There's less room for confusion with the Wilkins role either.  He's "Assistant Head Coach" so I'd have thought it was pretty clear what his job entails.

Rene is Vito, Ray is Sonny and Curbs is Tom Hagan.  That's how I see it anyways.

Wasn't Vito the gay one in The Sopranos?

Burt

So long as their respective roles, responsibilities and accountabilities are clear then all should be well.

Confusion only comes in where there are blurred lines in these areas.

mangoputney

An unlikely trio but should be enough to maintain a sustainable prem team
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

FFCByTheRiver

Feel a bit confused that we're expected to have only 1 coach, or else that having another high-profile coach is a bad thing..

Count Berbatov

Quote from: BenjyUK on January 01, 2014, 09:23:43 PM
Feel a bit confused that we're expected to have only 1 coach, or else that having another high-profile coach is a bad thing..
You could have 3 great coaches. But that might not be a good thing . Especially when there's no division who does what
They'll just get in each other's way.

I asked what each is responsible for

But I also pointed the difference in the performance of the team since both joined

Maybe there's no relation at all. Maybe they themselves and the players need time to adjust to their methods. Who knows.

Just not good to lose momentum now. Too many changes in the staff might do just that
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

alfie

I am confused as to why people seem to think the players will be confused as to who the boss is. I can guarantee that they know full well who runs the team.

Muelenstein  - head coach
Wilkins         - assistant to head coach
Curbishley    - looking after off field business, and offering advise to Muelenstein when required.

How hard is that to understand.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RaySmith

Agree Alfie.

Also, Rene has been used to working as part of a team at ManU.

This can be a benefit, rather than the autocratic type manager who never listens to anyone else.

TheManOnTheBus

I saw the nice beginnings of Wilkins' man management skills just after the half-time whistle. Sendoros had just misplaced a pass (can't remember exactly - or some other mistake) just before half time.  Wilkins went over to him on the pitch and, putting his arm around him and spoke with Philipee nodding as they both walked towards the cottage.  Nice touch.  There to help on man management (as has been said).