watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could someone explain to me...

Started by Count Berbatov, January 01, 2014, 04:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count Berbatov

...what are Curbishley and Wilkins' roles. And what does Rene need them for?

The team was playing fine before them arriving. Rene was doing a great job by himself.

Just saying
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

alexbishop

Curbishly for his experience. Wilkins, I hope, has been brought in to sort out our defence!
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

DukeTyrion

I would think Curbishley was probably brought in to do a lot of the paperwork and office type manager stuff, to leave Rene free to do mcuh more of the hands on coaching.

No idea why Wilkins has made a return though >.<

FPT

Curbishley is a technical director, i.e, an experienced head for him to converse ideas with and talk to. Something like 16 years at Charlton and kept them mid-table every year he was with them in the Premier League.

Ray Wilkins is his assistant. He'll help with organisational issues and again is another experienced head for Meulensteen to bounce off of. Ray Wilkins is a COACH, he will help on the training pitch. I think it was Ancelotti that said without him, his Chelsea side wouldn't have won a thing.

Count Berbatov

This team needs belief. Less coaching an tactics.
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Logicalman

Interesting that supposedly Curbs came down to the technical area in the second 45 for a brief spell. Perhaps not so hands-off as we might like to believe?

ToodlesMcToot

I have a sickening feeling that Curbishly is waiting in the wings......a ready and waiting replacement for RM. Call him TD if you will.

Thought I read that Wilkins was around for his man management. I don't really know enough about him to agree with or dispute that assessment.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Furby

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on January 01, 2014, 05:09:26 PM
I have a sickening feeling that Curbishly is waiting in the wings......a ready and waiting replacement for RM. Call him TD if you will.

Thought I read that Wilkins was around for his man management. I don't really know enough about him to agree with or dispute that assessment.

Sean Davis even says in his column this week how Wilkins helped him so much as a youth player and he's superb with players in general.

Deanothefulhamfan

RM wanted both, to add to his coaching team. If he wanted them then so be it, I do also worry Curbs is waiting in the wings though

Galeforce

What ever you think of Curbishley, his record at Charlton and Wet Spam shows he knows what is needed to keep a club, like Fulham, in the premiership. Wilkins was never any good as a manager but as a no.2 at Chelsea, during their best years, was highly thought of. Rene is clearly top dog and hats off to him, for adding experience and proven ability. Clint available Saturday, Brede back soon and maybe a few good signings, 2014 might be a year for us to all enjoy. COYWS.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win.

NogoodBoyo

I'm not sure if Rene really wanted them.  If he did, he shouldn't have.  It's a very confusing management structure for the players and the coaches  that invites indecision and a drop in morale.
Nogood "lack of clarity, isit" Boyo

Count Berbatov

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 01, 2014, 05:19:31 PM
I'm not sure if Rene really wanted them.  If he did, he shouldn't have.  It's a very confusing management structure for the players and the coaches  that invites indecision and a drop in morale.
My sentiments exactly

Logicalman

I'm not sure if Rene really wanted them.  If he did, he shouldn't have.  It's a very confusing management structure for the players and the coaches  that invites indecision and a drop in morale.

Hey NoGood, you're making some real salient points today, have you been at the geese eggs again? If so, keep on going son.

FPT

Quote from: Count Berbatov on January 01, 2014, 05:05:01 PM
This team needs belief. Less coaching an tactics.

Ray Wilkins provides belief with his coaching style. Good coaches, make good players. And we've got three, and today's win provides more belief.

alfie

Sorry Mr Nogood i just don't see why the players should be confused, they obviously know who the boss is, i think the lack of clarity is between the club and us.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ToodlesMcToot

Outside of just personal opinion based upon knowledge of their past roles, how are you informed of this?

I'm no fan of the Curbishly appointment by the way. I'm not necessarily against it either.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on January 01, 2014, 05:15:47 PM
RM wanted both, to add to his coaching team. If he wanted them then so be it, I do also worry Curbs is waiting in the wings though

Jol wanted his eventual replacement as well.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on January 01, 2014, 05:37:56 PM

Outside of just personal opinion based upon knowledge of their past roles, how are you informed of this?

I'm no fan of the Curbishly appointment by the way. I'm not necessarily against it either.

20 years in the corporate world on either side of the Atlantic, Toodles.  And also a long time study of the First World War.   Lots of management issues in there.  A loose committee of individuals at the helm who don't know each other is usually a recipe for disaster.  The bridge of a ship only works with one captain.  A company with co-CEO's is a poor investment.  A football club with lots of chiefs and unknown or unclear lines of communication is equally baffling for all concerned.
It's my personal opinion, but I think Fulham's new management structure smacks of debilitating weakness.  I hope I'm proved wrong.
Nogood "good points today though, isit" Boyo

Pluto

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 01, 2014, 05:58:46 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on January 01, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
I'm not sure if Rene really wanted them.  If he did, he shouldn't have.  It's a very confusing management structure for the players and the coaches  that invites indecision and a drop in morale.

20 years in the corporate world on either side of the Atlantic, Toodles.  And also a long time study of the First World War.   Lots of management issues in there.  A loose committee of individuals at the helm who don't know each other is usually a recipe for disaster.  The bridge of a ship only works with one captain.  A company with co-CEO's is a poor investment.  A football club with lots of chiefs and unknown or unclear lines of communication is equally baffling for all concerned.
It's my personal opinion, but I think Fulham's new management structure smacks of debilitating weakness.  I hope I'm proved wrong.
Nogood "good points today though, isit" Boyo

I don't understand why people are upset about this. No other premier league manager is asked to run the side without a back room team so why should we be any different? Jol took his entire team with him when be left so new coaches and a new assistant were required. Wilkins is an experienced hand who was widely lauded for fulfilling the duties of a good assistant at Chelsea and is known as an excellent defense coach. In my view that makes him perfect for the role. As far as Curbishley is concerned, many clubs nowadays use a director of football, a lot of them very sucessful. As far as I can see Curbs will fulfil a similar role plus provide a voice for Rene to bounce ideas off, since he is a new manager and is relatively inexperienced. These appointments can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

NogoodBoyo

We shall see.
Nogood " in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, not one-eyed men, isit" Boyo