watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR--Great a cappella performance

Started by Forever Fulham, January 02, 2014, 07:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

There's an increasingly popular late season TV talent competition show in the States titled "The Sing-Off".  It's different from all of the other singing talent shows spawned in the wake of American Idol's earlier ratings success.  On this show, the groups all perform a cappella.  This season's winner is a Country a cappella act (the first ever on the show) named "Home Free".  This was their performance in the finale:

Home Free: "I Want Crazy" - The Sing-Off

Good stuff. 

Holders

For some reason I couldn't view that video "not available in your country". Shame as I'd have liked to have heard it. A capella is a test of real singers and harmonies - no electronic rhythm to hide behind. I happen to listen to quite a lot of a capella (in pubs and small halls) and some can be magically good.

Do you get a TV series called "Transatlantic Sessions" over there? It's filmed in Scotland with first-class music and singing, including a capella from UK, Ireland and USA. I recommend it if you can find it.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Forever Fulham

That's interesting, Holders.  Didn't know some content on YouTube is limited to domestic access only.  Of course that makes sense with respect to uploaded copyright licensed content.  I'll look for "Transatlantic Sessions".  Thanks for the tip.  Just curious: What, if anything, can you access on YouTube over there on this a cappella group?  Anything?  I wonder if the restrictions placed on this content are coming from the TV network itself (NBC) which likely owns the rights to all performances rendered by competing acts on the show.

Holders

Well I searched youtube and found it no problem, maybe it was just an NBC link that was barred - in the same way as some people over here can't access some parts of the BBC site if they go through an AOL browser. Well, they sing well but, call me a purist, but I have reservations about the use of mics and I was a bit taken aback when the electronic percussion cut in! I'd have liked to have heard them properly unaccompanied.

Do look for "Transatlantic Sessions". It's just that - musicians from both sides of the atlantic busking to each others' music. It varies but there's some terrific stuff, I find most of the best a capella is Irish and top class.

Forever Fulham

No electronic percussion in the above performance.  All done by voice alone.  I understand your purist argument re: use of microphones, but it's a TV show, requiring the singers to project. 

Holders

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 03, 2014, 01:34:50 AM
No electronic percussion in the above performance.  All done by voice alone.  I understand your purist argument re: use of microphones, but it's a TV show, requiring the singers to project.  

The clip I watched said it was the "play-off" or something introduced by a commentator-type bloke in a purple jacket with people on balconies behind him. I assumed it was the same event. I really have never seen (individual hand-held) mics used for a capella before, not even in concert-style performance and a TV studio is designed for ambient pick-up. I just think they'd have projected better without clinging on to the mics like pop-singers but maybe it's the required image.

Forever Fulham

Holders, I found the Transatlantic Sessions, any you're right: It's a very good show.  There's even a 2009 episode featuring James Taylor doing one of my favorites from his catalogue-- "Millworker".  Thanks for the tip. 
James Taylor - Millworker (2009) [720p]

Holders

Glad you enjoyed it. They have some class acts, whether well-known or not. I just wondered if it's screened on mainstream TV over there. Here it's on a minority channel - like most things that are any good!!

I had the pleasure of meeting Ally and Phil (who run the sessions) when they were down here. They did the main show in a largish concert venue and then, for those who couldn't get tickets for that, a separate small gig the following night in the pub they were staying at - a much better venue. Nice guys who appreciate a whisky!

Lovely song from JT - and what superb eclectic backing from masters of their instruments. It's that fusion that makes it such a great programme in my view.