watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would someone please explain

Started by FFCAli, January 02, 2014, 12:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCAli

why, after scoring from a corner and having previously had a shot cleared off the line from a corner, we kept on taking short corners throughout the 2nd half?  I can see the point of an occasional one but not every single time!
:Happy New Year:

Craven Mad

To be honest, I think part of it was to waste time. I noticed this too, but realised that passing short allowed us to slow play further and force West Ham to wait about for the cross - rather than sprint up on an obvious cue from the corner taker's run.

I still don't think it was a great idea, as you saw how effective our corners were before, but that was my reading of it.

SimpleTactics

I was saying the same thing. I don't rate Duff at all any more as I feel he doesn't offer much but I said after the first goal the one thing he can do is take a corner. To be fair it may have been due to the weather.

Northern Cottager

We have scored the second most goals in the Prem from corners this season, just behind Man City. :)

FFCAli

Quote from: Craven Mad on January 02, 2014, 12:17:52 PM
To be honest, I think part of it was to waste time. I noticed this too, but realised that passing short allowed us to slow play further and force West Ham to wait about for the cross - rather than sprint up on an obvious cue from the corner taker's run.

I still don't think it was a great idea, as you saw how effective our corners were before, but that was my reading of it.
You waste time in the last 10 minutes when ahead, not at
1-1 after 50 minutes.

rusty shackleford

Duffs corners were excellent yesterday and i also was frustrated we kept taking them short in the second half

Craven Mad

Quote from: FFCAli on January 02, 2014, 12:28:24 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on January 02, 2014, 12:17:52 PM

You waste time in the last 10 minutes when ahead, not at
1-1 after 50 minutes.

I don't do anything but watch the game mate.. Just an observation, 'tis all.

I think it was linked to time wasting, but equally the wind could also explain it, or that West Ham changed formation to an 8-0-1 and we needed to open them up to get a chance. Who knows..

If it's any consolation, I was disappointed to see us taking short corners as I think it allows the opposition more space and removes a chance at goal for us.

FFCAli

Quote from: Craven Mad
I don't do anything but watch the game mate.. Just an observation, 'tis all.
/quote]

Understood  -  and I wasn't having a go at you, just at the tactics!

FPT

I noticed the short corners, I think we done 3/4 but they all lead to something. I'm not usually a fan of the short corner, but ours yesterday were pretty good, despite not leading to a goal.

MJG

Because the wind would have taken most of the corners out of play if they had been flighted in. Thats working on the assumption we beat the first man.

Jack Fulham

I thought our short corners were quite effective.