News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just curious...was the free kick actually a penalty?

Started by Burt, January 02, 2014, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

When the scores were level, in the second half, and one of our players was flattened in the box and the ref gave a free kick outside the box. Was that the right decision? It's not covered on the club's highlights and I didn't catch MOTD last night...

Matt Inglis

I've got to admit when everyone was fuming at the ref I sat back and said I was pretty sure the referee got it spot on.
I was dead wrong, definite penalty.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

BestOfBrede

The ref got it right - the initial foul (trip) was outside the box, unfortunately.

Rupert

At the time I thought the ref was right, having seen the highlights it could have gone either way, so I don't think we can complain about it. We'd probably have been a bit upset if we had something like that awarded against us.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FFC1987

It was a penalty but the margin was so slight you can't really blame the officials...plus it didn't really matter at the end of the day. If we had a Utd Moyes scenario I might be behaving differently!!!

FFCAli

Quote from: Rupert on January 02, 2014, 01:16:00 PM
At the time I thought the ref was right, having seen the highlights it could have gone either way, so I don't think we can complain about it. We'd probably have been a bit upset if we had something like that awarded against us.
:plus one: 

Lighthouse

Had the penalty been given I am not sure there would have been much argument against it. It was one of those days that the luck wasn't going for us but luckily it wasn't all on Spams side either.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

Yes - there was a little pull-back just outside the box followed by a fairly blatant trip inside. You could argue that he should have played advantage on the shirt pull - but was always likely to opt for the 'softer' decision.

ToodlesMcToot

It was a bang bang play (shirt pull outside the box, trip inside). The call was the fair one IMO. I'd say it would go that way the vast majority of the time.

Absolutely it was a penalty had the aggrieved been Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, or Arsenal.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

leonffc

They covered it better on Sky and said that it was the correct decision.
I'm not so sure. Yes Rat touched Duffs shoulder outside but hardly pulled him back. The actual foul was inside IMO.

nose

I have watched the MOTD highlights a few times now and I was sure it was a penalty at the game, and I am even more sure now, it was a no brainer for me.
I think the ref was a little forgiving with some challenges because of the conditions and maybe this was one such, but when i see what are given as penalties in some other games this was as clear as any.
In the end we won so not the end of the world but I do think the issue of where the first contact is made is fairly irrlevant, if the ref decides to let play go on for a bit and the second contact is inside the box then isn't that choosing when to stop applying the advantage rule. Just my opinion.

Oh and that is the first time I have seen Nolan get his just reward after all the discpicable things I have seen him do over the years!

ffcbulgaria

lets discuss that moment where Senderos got studmarks on his knee and the referee gave WH a free kick...

nose

Quote from: ffcbulgaria on January 02, 2014, 04:26:18 PM
lets discuss that moment where Senderos got studmarks on his knee and the referee gave WH a free kick...

oh yes we were right by that...what a bizarre decision. sendeross was clearly the aggrieved and yet klattenburg gave it the other way... you are right to point this one out.

Kent Cassandra

From my point of view (right in line in the JH stand) both players were leaning forward and although feet might  (Split second) have been outside the box, Duff's body and arms were definitely inside.
Can anybody tell me what the rules state about that situation. 
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

bobby01

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on January 02, 2014, 06:38:35 PM
From my point of view (right in line in the JH stand) both players were leaning forward and although feet might  (Split second) have been outside the box, Duff's body and arms were definitely inside.
Can anybody tell me what the rules state about that situation. 

The rules state if you are one of the big four it's a penalty, but otherwise it's not.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

filham

I was in the JH stand almost in line with the foul and Duffy finished up well inside the box but of course on that wet surface he had slid a few meters after the tackle so we really needed an action replay to be sure. Of course at the time our instincts told us it was a clear penalty but the television pictures do suggest a close call and we all know that close call don,t go our way.

Fulham_Surrey