watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

BBC - Premier League: January transfer window 2014 - who needs what

Started by WhiteJC, January 02, 2014, 04:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson examines where each Premier League side needs to strengthen, if they are looking to offload, or if they are just trying to retain their best players.

"So many teams are short of goals - I have never known a season like it," Lawrenson told BBC Sport.

"There are 11 teams that need a new striker: Arsenal, Cardiff, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Fulham, Hull, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham and West Ham.

"A lot of these teams will be going for the same players. The dilemma is, do they go for somebody who has played in the Premier League or do they go for the ultimate gamble in January and go for somebody unproven here?"

Fulham

What they need in a nutshell: A foil for Dimitar Berbatov and a new centre-back.

Window shopping: Rene Meulensteen has had a bit of time to assess his squad and he will be looking to ship players out as well as bring new ones in.

Will Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov stay at Craven Cottage in January?

If Berbatov does stay, then he needs a new partner up front because it has not worked out with Bryan Ruiz, and Darren Bent has not done the business this season, which is very strange.

They need a top-class striker to play in front of Berbatov, and they will be looking for someone who can pinch some goals, and hold up the ball too. Basically to play up there on his own if needs be.

Bent does play up front on his own, but the problem with him is that he does not give you anything in general play.

The Cottagers' other problem area for me is centre-back because they do not look strong in that position. They leak a lot of goals and they have got a soft centre.

Linked with: Phil Bardsley 28, RB (Sunderland) Benjamin Angoua 27, CB (Valenciennes), Tomas Rincon 25, DM (Hamburg), Anderson 25, CM (Manchester United), Wilfried Zaha 21, FW (Manchester United), Balazs Dzsudzsak 27, FW (Dynamo Moscow), Ishak Belfodil 21, CF (Inter Milan).

alexbishop

Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Andy S

Well at least the BBC are paying him well to cover that job which he has been holding down for some years now. And you Mr Bishop

YankeeJim

Quote from: alexbishop on January 02, 2014, 05:49:09 PM
"BBC football expert"

Hahahahaha

Football transfers are a lot American politics. You leak and idea to your friends in the media and see if it fly's. Agents & personal managers  on a team do the same thing. "Hey, my man Berba would like to join Arsenal". Wenger, "we have no or a lot of use for such a player". Rumors are a good aid in assessing a situation.

I know everything. Send me your questions and I'll answer them in February.  :021:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YoungsBitter

I think Lawrenson is right but then again anyone watching us play this season would come to the same conclusion - the spine CB, CM and CF is not fixed. Bent proved to me on Saturday that he is not cut out for it anymore. Once again through on goal, one on one and just like Chelsea he fluffs it. He looked marginally fitter but Taraabt and he were competing for pie eating winner when they both arrived and Taraabt is a changed man under Rene yet Bent is the same, slow, little to offer and blows the chances created.
Quark, strangeness and charm

horse1031

I also think it is strange that we have not gotten much out of Darren Bent.  He looks slow and uninterested half the time and does not fit in well with our team.  I know he needs service but he has missed 3 or 4 one v ones.