watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bent does it again

Started by The Swan, January 02, 2014, 10:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

What a great chance for Bent to score and let us enjoy the rest of the game instead of chewing our finger nails.If he had scored we would have been 3-1 up. That is the second time that Bent failed has to beat a keeper when he was one on one. The other time was away at Chelsea. I am sure if Rodallega was in that position he would have gone round the keeper and scored.
The Swan

K33NY

Im not sure why hes seems to be so poor, but before he came here he seemed very decent though, but in this season it seems like our players under Jol has detoriated or what you call it in english, I mean less skilled. Some has been decent, but Berba with 3 goals is it? Bent with 2, Senderos been utter useless this season, Amorebiatata as well, its now under RM, things has been more positive, I think Bent still got it, but now he has to show he means it though

twang

Not just the one on ones either. He cost us the match against Swansea by missing three good chances. Bent's a goal scoring striker that doesn't add anything to a team except for goals, so what's left of him when the goals dries up? Nothing.

Time to bite the (financial) bullet and ship him back to Villa.

JackyFulham90

I was very excited by Darren Bent signing for us but he has been quite poor if we could sign someone decent on loan I think we should send him back to Villa

jmh

Quote from: twang on January 02, 2014, 10:36:14 PM
Not just the one on ones either. He cost us the match against Swansea by missing three good chances. Bent's a goal scoring striker that doesn't add anything to a team except for goals, so what's left of him when the goals dries up? Nothing.
In other words, he's David Healy redux?

Forever Fulham

Strikers rarely score 'cold'.  They get into a rhythm.  We all know service to Bent (for those few minutes he's brought on) has been very infrequent.  The poor guy rarely gets a chance to put foot to ball, especially in the final third.  I suspect he's never played on a team that offered so few opportunities for strikers to do their thing.  So, when the opportunity does arise, especially in an unexpected way, such as via a brilliant thread from Berbatov, well, nerves.  His career scoring record speaks for itself.  He was out of shape when he got here.  He sat while Benteke played.  But I've got to believe the trainers have got him back into game fitness.  He just needs more opportunities--which tend to 'relax' a striker.

Deanothefulhamfan

Not good enough anymore.... He has possibly been the biggest disapointment in a Fulham shirt this season.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 03, 2014, 01:42:46 AM
Strikers rarely score 'cold'.  They get into a rhythm.  We all know service to Bent (for those few minutes he's brought on) has been very infrequent.  The poor guy rarely gets a chance to put foot to ball, especially in the final third.  I suspect he's never played on a team that offered so few opportunities for strikers to do their thing.  So, when the opportunity does arise, especially in an unexpected way, such as via a brilliant thread from Berbatov, well, nerves.  His career scoring record speaks for itself.  He was out of shape when he got here.  He sat while Benteke played.  But I've got to believe the trainers have got him back into game fitness.  He just needs more opportunities--which tend to 'relax' a striker.

I'm not sure if I 'buy that'  Good teams and players take their chances in the PS, hence so many 1-0 wins, 1-1 draws (or close to)
Some teams only get 1/2 chances in a game.   
Every top striker, even the 'cream' miss simple tap ins, they're humans.
However, if you train hard and warm up before a game (even as a sub) you should go onto the pitch 'fired up' especially with the amount they earn (Perhaps that's the problem. lethargy, how many more millions do top players need to secure their futures in a short career !!!
Nobody misses easy chances on purpose, I assume, it's generally a state of mind,
I know he's mostly been a sub (there's obviously a reason for that, ie lack of goals) and until RM changed the Jol system (if indeed there was one) has hardly had any service, but Holy s**t if you're on 3 years of my salary each week you really should be capable of putting these chances away.
Can you imagine any of us working people turning up for work for 8.30/9.00 am apologizing to our bosses that it's snowing outside, sorry I'm late, I'm exhausted from too much work (training at Motspur) and then thawing out for 30 minutes (warming up on the touchline) only to sit down at the desk and when that potential sales call comes in, you're in the toilet.
It's been said on here that Bent offers nothing except goal scoring, that's fine, many of the great strikers aren't very good at 'tackling back' but if that's all you have to do, for goodness sake do it.
I'm baffled  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

RaySmith

That chance wasn't as easy to score from as it seemed. And he did well to get on the end of that through ball and outpace the defence in the first place

I don't think he's had enough game time to hone his striking instincts,and nor does he get good service when he has been on the pitch.

However, he has still scored crucial goals for us, including one which won a  vital three points at home to Stoke.

As an out and out 'poacher' maybe he isn't exactly what we need, with Berba and Adel being able to hold the ball up,  and create from deep positions , besides  scoring -Adel has been unlucky not to score in the Prem for us so far - - but i think it's unfair to write  Bent off when he is returning to first team football after a year  ostracized, and has only had intermittent chances.

Count Berbatov

Michael Owen was always likely to score. And he spent half his career on the bench. Or in the medical to be exact
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

simplyfulham

You are never going to get the service if you're movement off the ball is poor.

There was a good move that highlighted Bent's movement, or lack there of, in the scon half when Scott Paker was running through into the final third.

You any blame a guy for missin chances when he's had a lack of matches. But 14 appearances, 2 goals and no assists, added to th lak of effort makes Bent massively disappointing for me.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: jmh on January 02, 2014, 11:19:44 PM
Quote from: twang on January 02, 2014, 10:36:14 PM
In other words, he's David Healy redux?
Fair comparison I think