https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (03/01/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 03, 2014, 04:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham recall Burn from Birmingham
by DAN on JANUARY 2, 2014

Fulham have this morning recalled defender Dan Burn from his season-long loan at Birmingham City.

The tall centre-back had made 26 appearances for the Championship side, managed by the former Fulham midfielder Lee Clark. Burn, who has yet to make a first-team appearance for Fulham, had spent a successful season on loan with Yeovil Town last term, helping them to win promotion from League One.

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen wants to assess the 21 year-old in training and could be considering handing Burn his club debut in Saturday's FA Cup third round tie at Norwich.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/01/fulham-recall-burn-from-birmingham/?

WhiteJC

Hughton targets Norwich boost in FA Cup

Chris Hughton is keen for his Norwich City side to learn from their Boxing Day defeat to Fulham when the two meet in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Norwich fell to a 2-1 home loss against Fulham in the Premier League despite taking an early lead through Gary Hooper.

This weekend brings an opportunity for City to gain a measure of revenge and Hughton is keen to do just that.

"We certainly want to be doing better results-wise than our Boxing Day result," he said.

"After having taken the lead and having a couple of good opportunities, it was a real disappointment to lose that game.

"This is an opportunity for us to make amends. It'll certainly be tough, our squad is going to be tested, there's no doubt about that.

"It's always about a result, this is a game we want to win and get through."

Hughton enjoyed some success in the FA Cup as a player, winning it twice with Tottenham, and he insists that it is still a prestigious competition.

"I was fortunate to be involved in Cup-winning teams a long time ago, certainly a lot longer than some of our younger supporters would know about, in 81 and 82," Hughton said.

"I think whichever year you look at, the Cup competition hasn't changed as regards the stature that it has worldwide. The approach to the Cup has changed of course over the years, as many aspects of the game have, but it's still a very special competition. I think it's still the best cup competition in the world."

The 55-year-old also confirmed that defender Michael Turner will undergo a scan on Thursday after he suffered a hamstring injury against Palace, while Ricky van Wolfswinkel will return after being left out for that match.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/hughton-eyes-fa-cup-boost#IQHEGq8KDAdISEVT.99

WhiteJC

Fulham are singing in the rain

I feel we should start the New Year on an upbeat note. Fulham wrestled three priceless points off West Ham in a 2-1 win and moved out of the relegation positions for the first time in a month. Setting my black and white blinkers aside, after reviewing all the highlights from matchday 20, I think the Whites are better equipped to stave off relegation than all four sides currently below us.

Rene Meulensteen's maneuvering in the transfer window will give us the measure of the man. After the Hull debacle this London derby was a desperate affair -- albeit in dreadful conditions. The Hammers shot themselves in the foot big time, were down to the bare bones selection wise, and still Fulham, with an overwhelming ratio of possession, failed to convince either in attack or at the back.

Football's found its new version of 'The Tinkerman' as Rene made seven changes, but that only served once again to highlight which players are no longer fit to wear the shirt. Had Kevin Nolan buried that back post header on 23 minutes and kept his cool this result could have been so very different. As it was Fulham laboured to put away the ten men, with Mark Noble forced off in the first-half and our opponents having no fit centre-backs.

Thank heavens Carlton Cole wasn't on from the start. Because Philippe Senderos had a nightmare and we still look all at sea with every ball hoisted into the box. For the opening goal our central defenders handled the long punt upfield with all the strength of a meringue.

Brede Hangeland is still 10 days away from a return to training, but signing a commanding central defender in January must be top of the agenda, along with a left-back. There's a body of criminally slack journalism out there from writers saying John Arne Riise has been 'rejuvenated' under the new management team. What? Every team attacks us down his flank. The man can't poke the ball into the net from three yards range and is fated never to score for Fulham. He should have been off-loaded a year ago.

AP Photo/Sang Tan
Dimitar Berbatov's second half winner capped off a crucial win for Fulham.

Another 'nearly man' I'm afraid is Adel Taarabt. Twice, he hits the woodwork, but you can see how he has driven a string of managers to breaking point.

Doctor Frankenstein needs to cook up the DNA from every winger on the books at Craven Cottage and from the ingredients manufacture the ideal winger. Question -- does Alexander Kacaniklic have a brain? At times in the second half he and Pajtim Kasami reminded me of schools football, when you hear some kids have real talent, but then just run endless solos to show off with absolutely no end product.

Having not even made the 18 man squad the writing is now on the wall for Bryan Ruiz. Rene says there has been no interest in the Costa Rican so this could see a massive financial write-down for Martin Jol's biggest folly. From the side put out yesterday I remain convinced that Kieran Richardson (can't shoot straight) and Damien Duff (can't head, beat his man or tackle) must be off-loaded.

I must confess some reservations in Rene's set-up and substitutions New Year's Day. Duff should have been hooked much earlier and Ashkan Dejagah was the wide man with more grit and hustle to send on as West Ham started to get pushed back. As for the introduction of Darren Bent, it almost cost us two points. Lazy Bent offered nothing, missed his big chance, and then with Dimitar Berbatov dropped into midfield, we handed back the initiative when West Ham were on the ropes.

Captain Parker saw how weakened our shape had become and played the last 20 minutes more conservatively, rarely marauding forward. Had Allardyce gambled earlier on Cole, Fulham could so easily have thrown all the hard work away.

twitter: @fulhamphil

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1702?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Ricky Set To Face Fulham

Norwich City face Fulham this Saturday in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at Carrow Road, 3pm ko.

At his Thursday press conference, manager Chris Hughton spoke about his squad for the game and the fact that he will rotate the squad, but not too much.

Leroy Fer, will of course be suspended after being sent off against Crystal Palace for two bookable offences and will miss this game as a result. If he has to miss a game then this is as good as any, however, it does leave the squad short of central midfield players, what with Alex Tettey and Johnny Howson both injured. Hughton also confirmed that Michael Turner will miss out due to his hamstring strain, which is still being assessed.

Interestingly, David Fox is back from his loan spell at Barnsley and is available but didn't play the last five games there, so fitness may be an issue. But I think we'd all like to see Foxy back and get a game - a neat passing midfielder, now there's a thought.

Howson's injury is still described as ' not serious' but there is no timescale as yet on when he'll be back. The good news though, is that Alex Tettey will start light training next week and Anthony Pilkington isn't far behind.

One player that will definitely play against Fulham though, is record signing, Ricky van Wolfswinkel. After missing eight games with a muscular toe injury, Ricky is back fit and raring to go.

"We will certainly use the squad but that is more a necessity with the ones we have out," said Hughton. "I still have to pick the team and it might be a late one because we have one or two knocks that we also have to assess but Ricky will certainly play. He has come on in the last few games and he would have done so at Crystal Palace but Leroy got sent off at that moment late in the game. He has had an introduction, if not starting, since the injury so the call to start him on Saturday is the ideal one.

"We miss Leroy (Fer) as well as Michael and Jonny so it is an opportunity to use the squad but with the main objective of ensuring we go through."

After a poor performance and ultimately a loss against Fulham on Boxing Day, I figure we owe them one. Let's hope RvW can show his worth.

OTBC

Read more: http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=343966#ixzz2pJCnW5ec

WhiteJC

Where is improvement needed for Fulham in the January transfer window and who is available?

The January transfer window is finally upon us and provides a month for much-needed additions to the squad to be brought it. It's not in dispute that Shahid Khan needs to spend some money if he wants his new purchase to remain in the top flight.

So where does the main focus lie? For me, priority has to be a central defender. Potentially two. It's clear to see that Senderos and Hughes aren't good enough for the top flight, Amorebieta arguably too. Hangeland has now been ruled out until March which led to Rene Meulensteen recalling Burn from his loan spell at Birmingham. Burn is a very good prospect but once again not Premier League standard as of yet. In terms of availability, as is common in January, there's not all too much going. One possibility is Cheikhou Kouyate from Anderlecht, rumoured to be valued at £7m. He's had a very strong couple of seasons for the Belgian Champions and the imposing 6ft 4 centre half would add much-needed aerial dominance and presence to the side. Alternatively, Meulensteen is supposedly interested in Monaco defender Nicolas Isimat-Mirin. The Frenchman made the move south from Valenciennes in the summer but has found first team football hard to come by under Claudio Ranieri with Abidal and Carvalho being preferred. Perhaps a loan move would be available as Monaco will look towards Isimat-Mirin as one for the future.

Another main area of weakness in the side is the centre of midfield. Karagounis simply doesn't cut anymore, his performance at Hull was one of the worst I've seen in the top flight. Along with that, he cannot last 90 minutes. Boateng, from the little I've seen of him in the Premier League, is not up to the pace of the game. Arguably due to a lack of game time but this isn't the time of season when we can afford to give a below par player time to adjust. Thankfully centre mid is an area distinctly possible to improve in January. We've already been linked in the English press to US international Michael Bradley. The American has fallen down the pecking order with just 5 starts in the league this campaign. Jermaine Jones is another American who could provide a further option for the central midfield role. The holding midfielder can break up play efficiently and offload the ball but more importantly is out of contract in the summer. Schalke could look to offload the midfielder before he becomes a free agent in July. Alternatively, the club may look at Southampton midfielder Jack Cork. Currently not getting the first team football the 24-year-old probably deserves, he could be persuaded to join the Whites. Ravel Morrison is another player already linked with the club. Having been coached by Meulensteen at United, the young midfielder could be drafted in to help with some creative problems. A major advantage to Morrison is his desire to run at teams with pace, something that players such as Ruiz and Berbatov don't offer and until the recent inclusion of Taarabt in the squad, has been missing in the side.

The club isn't short of numbers at left back but certainly is short of ability there. Richardson is simply not good enough in my eyes. While Riise has a tendancy to bomb forward, which is admittedly helpful and sometimes very effective but it also leaves us incredible vulnerable down that left hand side. Amorebieta is capable of player left back, but not to the ability we require in the top flight. Briggs, another left-sided defender, is currently out injured which is an additional option ruled out. Alexander Büttner's name has been thrown about recently, the young Dutchman isn't getting any first team football at United and with Moyes supposedly looking at Leighton Baines as well as other replacements at left back, Büttner could look for a move away from the Champions. He's an attacking fullback, but well-disciplined and once again trained under Meulensteen. I've heard many a Fulham fan call for the signing of 24-year-old Aaron Cresswell from Ipswich. The left back has been one of the 'Tractor Boys' most consistent performers since joining from Tranmere in 2011. Both Büttner and Cresswell could be available fairly cheaply with Büttner potentially on loan (providing Taarabt or Bent return to one of their respective parent clubs) if a permanent move can't be agreed.

The last really significant position that needs improvement, especially if Dimitar Berbatov departs, is the centre forward role. A number of options are supposedly available. Bafetimbi Gomis is, as always, linked with a move away from France. The powerful front man could provide a superb outlet for our creative players. He's also got experience playing at the top level, having featured in the Champions League numerous times for Lyon. The Roma forward Marco Boriello could be available for a loan move away from the Italian capital having scored just 1 goal in his 11 games so far this season. The 31-year-old has had his fair share of loan spells in the past so won't necessarily be against a short period in England. A very different style of player who could be available is Shane Long. The pacey Irishman is out of contract in the summer and could be a cheap solution to our striking problems.

It is for certain that we need to bring in a number of players in January but whether they'll be both the time and player availability to bring in the names we need, I don't know. Khan needs to put his hand in his pocket to ensure that our 12th year in the top flight of English football, isn't our last.

http://www.tiktaka.com/fulham/where-is-improvement-needed-for-fulham-in-the-january-transfer-window-and-who-is-available/?

WhiteJC

Modest Stockdale hails team effort

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale has played down the importance of his point-blank save from Kevin Nolan in Wednesday's win over West Ham.

Stockdale made a fine stop to deny Nolan with West Ham already 1-0 up at Craven Cottage.

Steve Sidwell subsequently equalised for Fulham and Nolan was then sent off prior to Dimitar Berbatov's winner, which moved Rene Meulensteen's side out of the Premier League relegation zone.

"I wouldn't say my save was pivotal," Stockdale told Fulham's official website.

"I'd say the second goal was pivotal as it won us the game. I'm just doing my job and if I can keep the lads in the game, then so be it.

"It's not until afterwards that you think about it; at the time you just want the three points.

"We're in a relegation battle and we won't get out of it by sitting back and looking at individual performances - we have to play as a team.

"You saw the character we possess to come from 1-0 down. We had a little bit of help with the sending off but even at 1-0 we had chances to get back into it."

Victory over West Ham was particularly welcome for Fulham given the 6-0 loss they suffered at Hull City four days earlier.

"We thought it was such a freak result at Hull that we couldn't dwell on it," Stockdale added.

"If we'd lost 1-0 in the last minute we might have thought about it more.

"You can't think about results too much – we can't think about West Ham really now as we need to get back on the training pitch ahead of an FA Cup game at Norwich City that we want to win.

"But we're delighted to get six points out of a possible nine over the festive period. We've now got to use these two victories to push on and get up that table."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2014/January/02/modest-stockdale-hails-team-effort/?

WhiteJC

Report: Roma and U.S. international Michael Bradley not moving in January transfer window

Sources have apparently confirmed to MLSSoccer.com that Michael Bradley, the most important figure to this year's World Cup bid, will stay put at Roma during the January transfer window.

(Aside: how cool is it that we can now say "this year's" World Cup? We are now officially into the World Cup year, you know?)

Reports had Bradley, the fourth man in a stately, talented three-man midfield at the Stadio Olimpico, perhaps merging into the order at Fulham, Cardiff or Southampton. We talked here about the plusses and minuses of the potential move into Craven Cottage, where Bradley would have the bonus of linking up for a couple of months with Clint Dempsey. (Giving us the bonus of having a real reason to watch Fulham, where the soccer this year has been fairly hard on the eyes, and not much on the success factor, either.)

If he's staying in Italy, U.S. fans can only hope that Bradley will get more playing time in the second half of Italy's Serie A campaign. The best possible Michael Bradley is one who is playing regularly – which seems unlikely unless one of the three men in front of him are sold or injured.

His five starts for Roma over the last few months (plus six appearances off the bench, including a few of nominal minutes) is OK. But given the difficult U.S. draw, Jurgen Klinsmann's team needs everyone at razor-sharp level. Little else will do.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/report-roma-and-u-s-international-michael-bradley-not-moving-in-january-transfer-window/?

WhiteJC

Arsenal v Tottenham for Berbatov - fan comments

Arsenal and Tottenham fans have both been making a case (or not) for signing Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov.

Here's what the fans have said:

Arsenal

1. 'Arsenal need a big name in the summer when there is a better chance of getting the right player. We are top of the league. No need to panic buy. Berbatov would be a good and cheap back up striker. Go get him'.

2. 'No, do not buy Berbatov. He is for the likes of Cardiff, West Ham, Sutherland - not for a team looking to win the Premiership'.

3. Berbatov would be perfect for half a season. He would relish having the ball played to him in the box without having to run around too much. £2m ? He'd earn that back in shirts, and helping to lift the Premier League title would pay his transfer fee and wages over and over again. Go for it!!!'.

4.  'But we need a world class striker for the title race - not an old donkey!'.

5. 'The last thing we need is to be saddled with a sulky, over-the-hill player on 100k+ a week'.

6. 'I think really Tottenham deserve him. Honestly'.

Tottenham

1. We gotta get Berbatov back! We can't let him go to the Arse! Get him in for £2m - he's still got it! Him, Ade and Soldado. Out Defoe for 6m'.

2. 'Adebayor and Berbatov in the same team! Are you nuts!?

3. 'I'd never have him back. He burned his bridges last time'.

4. 'Levy would never allow it. Come to think of it, he probably would!'.

5. 'Let Arsenal have him - they won't win the title with him or without him anyway!' 

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/01/02/arsenal-v-tottenham-for-berbatov-fan-comments/?

WhiteJC

Come And Get Me Plea! Dimitar Berbatov posts 'Could Fire Arsenal To The Title' to his Facebook page

As 'Come and Get Me' pleas go, this is about as crystal clear as they come.

With the January transfer window due to open in the coming days, Sky Sports show Goals on Sunday discussed possible moves over the period on their program last Sunday morning.

Former Fulham player Billy McKinlay sat on the couch and discussed the prospect of Dimitar Berbatov moving to Arsenal.

McKinlay vouched for the move, and the show's segment was made into a video by a Youtuber with the title, 'Berbatov could fire Arsenal to the title'.

With obviously too much time on his hands, Berba stumbled across the video on the interweb, and posted it to his official Facebook page.

Subtle eh?

If that doesn't amount to a big, brash 'COME AND GET ME! plea to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, what does?

The only way Berba could be more clear about it would be by personally calling to Wenger's home with an Arsenal shirt on and a baguette in hand.

With £2 million reportedly enough to procure the Bulgrarian's services, what are you waiting for Wenger? Get on Facebook and at least 'like' his status!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/come-and-get-me-plea-dimitar-berbatov-posts-could-fire-arsenal-to-the-title-to-his-facebook-page/?

Luffy86

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 03, 2014, 05:11:22 AM

Come And Get Me Plea! Dimitar Berbatov posts 'Could Fire Arsenal To The Title' to his Facebook page

As 'Come and Get Me' pleas go, this is about as crystal clear as they come.

With the January transfer window due to open in the coming days, Sky Sports show Goals on Sunday discussed possible moves over the period on their program last Sunday morning.

Former Fulham player Billy McKinlay sat on the couch and discussed the prospect of Dimitar Berbatov moving to Arsenal.

McKinlay vouched for the move, and the show's segment was made into a video by a Youtuber with the title, 'Berbatov could fire Arsenal to the title'.

With obviously too much time on his hands, Berba stumbled across the video on the interweb, and posted it to his official Facebook page.

Subtle eh?

If that doesn't amount to a big, brash 'COME AND GET ME! plea to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, what does?

The only way Berba could be more clear about it would be by personally calling to Wenger's home with an Arsenal shirt on and a baguette in hand.

With £2 million reportedly enough to procure the Bulgrarian's services, what are you waiting for Wenger? Get on Facebook and at least 'like' his status!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/come-and-get-me-plea-dimitar-berbatov-posts-could-fire-arsenal-to-the-title-to-his-facebook-page/?

Well.... That's a bit of a low blow this morning!!

WhiteJC

Fulham must buy a defender this January to bolster slow, ageing back-line

Pessimism is the forte of many Fulham fans but, even then, it's difficult to pull too many negatives from our fine 2-1 victory over West Ham United on Wednesday.

It was a superb win against a side who, just like us, are wounded and scrapping for survival. Yet, in spite of that, there were still niggling concerns in our performance that quite clearly need to be addressed.

Almost all of those worries centred on our defence and its palpable ineptitude, even though there were significant signs of improvement compared to our 6-0 humbling at Hull City.

The back four just leak goals – plain and simple. Philippe Senderos is a consistent bugbear to many and though he's often unduly made a scapegoat, his performances are certainly sub-par.

Meulensteen must be on the lookout for a new defender this January... or we'll continue to concede goals left, right and centre

He isn't the only problem, though; the whole back line lacks pace and agility. Even when Brede Hangeland returns – by far our strongest centre back, even if he hasn't quite hit his peak form – athleticism will be at a premium. Fernando Amorebieta, Sascha Riether, Aaron Hughes, Senderos – they're all slow, ageing players.

That doesn't make them bad players, of course – many a defender can rely on their positional awareness to snuff out attacks and opportunities.

However, if the failure to respond with any sort of conviction to the long ball from Jussi Jaaskelainen on Wednesday is anything to go by, then our defence is short on mental strength too.

And that's particularly worrying when points are so vital. Yes, spirit is high right now and a series of in-game revivals – 1-0 down to 2-1 up against both West Ham and Norwich City – have brought us valuable points, but going behind with such regularity should obviously be discouraged.

Only new players are going to change things, and recalling Dan Burn from his loan spell at Birmingham City at least shows Rene Meulensteen is prepared to mix it up somewhat.

The 21 year-old has done well in the Midlands and is deserving of a chance at the highest level, especially given the Blues' impressive run of four clean sheets in eight – in which Burn's role was vital.

It's unlikely he'll be the sole answer to our prayers, though, so Meulensteen must be on the lookout for a new defender this January. Either that or we'll continue to concede goals left, right and centre.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/03/fulham-must-buy-a-defender-this-january-to-bolster-slow-ageing-back-line-4247878/?

WhiteJC

Faithful Membership

As we kick-off the New Year, there are a host of top games still left to play at the Cottage – with the likes of Liverpool travelling to SW6 in February, Chelsea and high-flying Everton visiting in March – and away fixtures at Old Trafford and White Hart Lane still to come.

By purchasing a Faithful Membership, you'll ensure you're at the front of the queue along with our Season Ticket Holders when these fixtures go on sale. Tickets for our home match against Liverpool go on sale at 10am on Tuesday 7th January so buy your Membership today to get access to tickets as soon as they become available.

Adults can join today from £20, with a choice of simple ticket access with our Ticket Priority package, or an enhanced adult Digital package, providing you with additional match ticket offers and discounts as well as other benefits, which is priced at £30.

There's something for Juniors too, with our Fulhamites and Formation packages dedicated to supporters aged 0-10 and 11-15 years respectively, both priced at just £5 each.

Sign up to a Faithful Membership today and make sure you give yourself the best chance to secure your Whites tickets.

Membership can be purchased online, by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 2), or in person from the Ticket Office at Craven Cottage, Stevenage Road.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/03/faithful-membership?

WhiteJC

FA Cup: Norwich v Fulham match preview

A look ahead to this weekend's clash at Carrow Road

Unless you really hit the eggnog hard over Christmas, you'll recall that these sides met just eight days ago, with the Cottagers coming from behind to claim a vital 2-1 win. That encounter was a hard-fought survival scrap in the lower echelons of the Premier League; this fixture should be a different story, with both sides seeking a cup adventure to offer diversion (but not distraction) from their league travails.

Wigan's triumph last season showed that FA Cup glory is not an impossible dream for the league's strugglers; on the other hand, the Latics were relegated, an irony that won't have gone unnoticed by the pragmatic duo of Rene Meulensteen and Chris Hughton. One imagines that neither boss would be entirely dejected to be eliminated from the competition at this early stage.

Norwich are the bookies' favourite for the dubious prize of a place in the fourth round; but this is a fixture that Fulham have utterly dominated in recent history. Both these sides are just about keeping their heads above water in the Premier League; but which of them will get the chance to surf a wave of cup glory? 

KICK OFF: Saturday, 3pm

LAST THREE MEETINGS:

Norwich City 1 (Hooper) Fulham 2 (Kasami, Parker), Premier League, December 2013

Norwich City 0 Fulham 0, Premier League, February 2013

Fulham 5 (Duff, Petric 2, Kacaniklic, Sidwell) Norwich City 0, Premier League, August 2012

STATS:

Fulham are unbeaten in their last 13 league and cup meetings with Norwich, winning 10. Norwich haven't beaten Fulham since March 1986, when they won 2-1 in the old Second Division.

Norwich have been on the receiving end of two of Fulham's heaviest league wins in recent times losing 6-0 in 2005, and 5-0 last season.

Gary Hooper has scored in 4 of his last 5 matches at Carrow Road.

Norwich City have not progressed beyond the fifth round of the FA Cup since 1992.

Fulham have kept only 1 clean sheet in their last 14 matches in all competitions.

ODDS:

Norwich City to win: 1.9

Fulham to win: 3.5

Draw: 3.3

TV: Highlights on ITV1 at 11.05pm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/fa-cup-norwich-v-fulham-match-preview-9036542.html

WhiteJC

FA Cup predictions: Lawro v Sutton Utd hero Matthew Hanlan

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

His opponent for selected ties on FA Cup third-round weekend is legendary giantkiller Matthew Hanlan, the bricklayer who scored the winner when non-league Sutton United famously shocked Coventry City in the FA Cup 25 years ago, in January 1989.

Matthew Hanlan (right) celebrates with fellow Sutton goalscorer Tony Rains after beating Coventry in 1989

"They are fantastic memories. I have got the game and all the reaction to it on DVD but I don't watch it all that often these days," Hanlan told BBC Sport.

"Every so often, though, somebody will see my goal on YouTube and say something about how I looked then, and it all comes back. I always get a few phone calls from the media about it every January too."

There are three non-league teams in the third round this year, all from the Conference Premier - just as Sutton were. Grimsby Town, who play Huddersfield, Kidderminster Harriers, who are up against Peterborough, and Macclesfield Town, who face Sheffield Wednesday.

All three are at home and Hanlan thinks Grimsby and Macclesfield can emulate Sutton and cause a shock against their Championship opponents.

"Home advantage makes a big difference for the underdog," Hanlan, who now runs his own building company in Bromley, added.

"It is a bit different from in my day as a player because non-league pitches are a lot better these days, but the atmosphere still has a big bearing on the chance of an upset."

Hanlan, who is a Crystal Palace season-ticket holder, backs the Eagles to come out on top in their all-Premier League clash with West Brom and forecasts further surprises in the games between Aston Villa and Sheffield United, Stoke versus Leicester and Nottingham Forest against West Ham.

He also thinks Coventry, who were fifth in the top flight when Sutton beat them but are now in League One, will spring a surprise of their own this year, against Championship strugglers Barnsley.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Norwich City v Fulham

This is another all-Premier League tie, and one I am not sure either club's manager will be too bothered about. It is very difficult to know what teams they are going to pick.

Both of these teams will be more concerned about staying up, and neither will want a replay. Because of that, that is exactly what I think they will get.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1 (Fulham to win the replay)
Matthew Hanlan's prediction: 2-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25577734

WhiteJC

Wenger: No move for Berbatov

Arsene Wenger has brushed aside speculation he has contacted Dimitar Berbatov about a move to the Emirates in the January transfer window.
The Bulgarian international, who is currrently on the books at Fulham, is believed to want out at Craven Cottage but despite talk of an imminent and convenient £2 million deal with the Gunners (exacerbated by careless social media executives) , the boss played down the speculation.
"He is not a name we have considered at the moment," said Wenger of the former Manchester United and Sp*rs attacker.
"We have not contacted anybody. We are just considering our options. I must confess they are quite restricted."
With Olivier Giroud in bed with handsome man flu and Nicklas Bendtner ruled out with a match-winning ankle, Wenger's options for the match against Spurs are limited to Theo Walcott and Lukas Podolski.
It remains to be seen if he tries to pull a deal out of the bag for a striker, although having previously stressed he's only after players of 'special' quality it's tough to know who he'd pursue.
____
Press conference updates courtesy of the Evening Standard's James Olley.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/01/wenger-no-move-for-berbatov/?utm_source=feedburner.com%2Farseblognews&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arseblognews+%28Arseblog+News+-+the+Arsenal+news+site%29

WhiteJC

Premier League: Arsene Wenger refuses to be drawn on link with Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov

Arsene Wenger has refused to be drawn on reports linking Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov with a move to the Emirates.

The Arsenal manager could be tempted to play in the January transfer window with strikers Olivier Giroud and Nicklas Bendtner sidelined with ankle injuries.

Giroud missed the 2-0 victory over Cardiff, which maintained Arsenal's place atop the Premier League table, while Bendtner sprained his ankle shortly after scoring the game's opening goal.

Reports claimed Wenger was prepared to lodge a £2m bid for Berbatov and Arsenal youngster Yaya Sanogo even tweeted a 'welcome to Arsenal' message to the Bulgarian adding: 'You could fire us to the title'.

But speaking ahead of his side's FA Cup third-round tie against Tottenham Wenger denied any interest in the former Manchester United striker, although appeared to keep his options open.

"Dimitar Berbatov is a not a name we have considered, at the moment," he said.

"I don't want to go into speculation on any specific names as that would not help and would be disrespectful to the club where they are playing at the moment.

"We are just considering our options and I must confess they are quite restricted. We have not even been out in the transfer market, we have not contacted anybody.

"We are just analysing our own situation and, of course, being very cautious until we are well informed about Bendtner and Sanogo, who is back in training now. We will make a decision after that."

Of the game itself, the Frenchman revealed Giroud is 90 per cent likely to miss out while Kieran Gibbs and Aaron Ramsey are definitely sidelined.

However, he will give a late fitness test to midfielder Mesut Ozil, who sat out the festive victories over Newcastle and Cardiff with a shoulder injury, before finalising his line-up.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9099371/?

WhiteJC

Rene's ready to unleash Moussa Dembele as Fulham starlets get chance to shine

Rene Meulensteen may use the FA Cup to blood some of Fulham's talented academy players and that might give fans a first proper look at starlet Moussa Dembele.

Meulensteen is committed to ensuring the progression of his best youngsters into the senior squad and Dembele is highly regarded by many at Craven Cottage.

The French forward, 17, made his Fulham debut as a late substitute at West Ham in November and has recently returned to full fitness after injuring his hamstring in that game.

Dembele, no relation to Tottenham's former Fulham midfielder Mousa, was on the bench against West Ham on New Year's Day and might get a chance to impress in the third round at Norwich tomorrow.

"He is a goalscorer, first and foremost," said Meulensteen. "Moussa knows where the net is and he is clinical in and around the box.

"He has a variety of finishes and he is a good athlete as well. He is a strong player and has got a great personality."

Dembele has been prolific at youth level and is reportedly attracting the interest of Manchester United and Liverpool.

Meulensteen said: "I am looking forward to integrating him more in first-team training.

"There are many other young players coming into the group. That is what I did during my time at Manchester United and I am going to do exactly the same here."

On the club's recent win against the Hammers, Meulensteen added: "The key for us was getting the points and moving out of the bottom three in the Premier League. It does not mean we have turned a corner but we are looking confident."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/renes-ready-to-unleash-moussa-dembele-as-fulham-starlets-get-chance-to-shine-9036427.html

WhiteJC

Swansea Away

Tickets for Fulham's game at Swansea City are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders, with free tickets available for Junior Members and Junior Season Ticket Holders.

The Whites travel to the Liberty Stadium on Tuesday 28th January (7.45pm). Last time out at the home of the Swans, the Whites grabbed all three points thanks to goals from Alexander Kačaniklić, Dimitar Berbatov and Urby Emanuelson.

Tickets for this season's encounter are now available to Season Ticket Holders. Prices start from £35 for adults and the Club will cover the cost of tickets for all of our Junior Season Ticket Holders and Members!

If you're not yet a Junior Member, sign up today for just £5! Visit fulhamfc.com/membership to read more.

The Club will again be providing free travel to this match with coaches departing from both Motspur Park and Craven Cottage.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/03/swansea-away?

WhiteJC

January transfer window ins and out at Fulham

Jan Kruger/Getty Images
Manchester United's Wilfried Zaha has been the subject of Fulham transfer rumors.

A policy of underinvestment and treading water for two seasons has come home to roost for the Premiership's most popular club. It is now down to new Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen to rebuild the side and avert the very real threat of relegation. January will also test the commitment of new owner Shad Khan to putting a substantial budget into the transfer kitty.

Many long-suffering fans would suggest we need a whole new team. However, with Fulham sitting 16th and facing a winnable game in the next week at home, don't expect too radical an overhaul in the coming month.

Meulensteen does not strike me as someone to panic. Ask me how many new faces I'd like to see, and I would put it at six -- three new faces across the back four, a midfield lynchpin, one direct winger and a striker. My guess is we may have to settle for three. And we know we've got Clint Dempsey for two months.

Forty-one goals conceded to date, and this having signed a world-class keeper in Maarten Stekelenburg, tells you where our current problem lies. Why has the club not thought to recall Dan Burn from Birmingham? How close are Philippe Senderos and Brede Hangeland to returning?

Deciphering Fulham transfer targets has always been a puzzle. Here's my take, for what it's worth.

HIT LIST
Phil Bardsley, 28, RB (Sunderland); Benjamin Angoua, 27, CB (Valenciennes); Tomas Rincon, 25, DM (Hamburg); Anderson, 25, CM (Manchester United); Wilfried Zaha, 21, FW (Manchester United); Balazs Dzsudzsak, 27, FW (Dynamo Moscow); Ishak Belfodil, 21, CF (Inter Milan); Aaron Cresswell, 24, LB (Ipswich Town); Alex Buttner, 24, LB (Manchester United).

EXIT LIST
Bryan Ruiz, Dimitar Berbatov, Steve Sidwell, John Arne Riise, Darren Bent, Adel Taarabt, Giorgos Karagounis, Fernando Amorebieta, Elsan Zverotic, Kieran Richardson, Matthew Briggs, Damien Duff, Aaron Hughes, Derek Boateng, Hugo Rodallega

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1694?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Dempsey eligible for Norwich clash as Fulham boss plots changes

American forward Clint Dempsey is eligible for Fulham's FA Cup third-round tie at Norwich.

Dempsey has rejoined Fulham on a two-month loan spell from the Seattle Sounders.

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen is likely to rotate his squad for the trip to Carrow Road.

Probable squad: Stockdale, Riether, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Parker, Karagounis, Sidwell, Ruiz, Kasami, Dejagah, Rodallega, Kacinicklic, Richardson, Boateng, Zverotic, David, Bent, Bettinelli, Dempsey.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/dempsey_eligible_for_norwich_clash_as_fulham_boss_plots_changes_1_3174434