watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

David Metchik

Started by Dodgin, January 04, 2014, 01:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Name from the past. Barry Fry gave a mention on Football Focus of little David Metchik.

Bracken White

Seem to recall his debut when I was an awful lot younger - sure his surname is spelt Metchick!
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

bog

You beat me to it! I recall David Metchick's debut. A total of 56 apps in all comps and 13 goals. He was highly regarded when in the youth team made his debut in and his best run was the start of the '64/5 season. In the first four games he scored 6, including a hattrick v Birmingham, but sadly that was the end and he gradually faded away. Was said that he lost confidence and that was that. Had not forgotten his name though.

092.gif

Fernhurst

Met him when I was thirteen !!(now nearly 66)
and was surprised he was smaller than me!!
He must have been over compensated though as he was wearing the longest pair of winkle pickers I had ever seen.
Younger readers- ask your Grandad  092.gif
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

RaySmith

I remember him well -I'm surprised to see how few appearances he made - in my mind he played more.

LBNo11

...his last appearance on the Craven Cottage pitch was in 2008 - as a guest at the unveiling of the Johnny Haynes Statue in 2008:-

Not a great shot as he is waving towards the Stevenage Road Stand, he is the shortest guy 4th from the right.

FYI the line up is:-  L-R Ivor (Gordon Davies), Les Strong, Alan Mullery, Tosh (Trevor Chamberlain, Fred Callaghan, George Cohen, Ian Black, Johnny Key, Stan Brown, Brian Nicholls, Barry Mealand, Dave Metchick, Pat O'Connell, Derek Lampe and The Rabbi (Jimmy Hill).

Picture courtesy of the Johnny Haynes Statue facebook page...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Only Me

Saw him score that hat trick, one was a flying header if my memory serves me right, and think they were all headers, anyone remember?? sure it was an evening K O.

CorkedHat

I always found it mildly amusing that away supporters would call George Cohen, Jewish, when he wasn't and yet leave Metchick alone, who was Jewish. It must all be in the name
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Fernhurst on January 04, 2014, 02:14:46 PM
Met him when I was thirteen !!(now nearly 66)
and was surprised he was smaller than me!!
He must have been over compensated though as he was wearing the longest pair of winkle pickers I had ever seen.
Younger readers- ask your Grandad  092.gif

I think, maybe back in Fashion looking at some of the guys shoes in the office

Fernhurst

Quote from: CorkedHat on January 05, 2014, 09:58:23 AM
I always found it mildly amusing that away supporters would call George Cohen, Jewish, when he wasn't and yet leave Metchick alone, who was Jewish. It must all be in the name

George Cohen not Jewish shock???
And Dave Metchick Jewish.... Who knew .... I learn something from this site on a daily basis.
When I played we drew QPR in the cup at Loftus Rd and lost to a Mark Lazarus hatrick..... Now he was Jewish!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.