watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Promising Signs

Started by Mac, January 04, 2014, 10:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I've been an observer on this message board for quite a while but have never felt compelled to break my posting duck before now. Now, obviously a replay isn't what we wanted from today's game and there will certainly be those who would rather have gone out of the cup altogether than pile another fixture onto a relatively thin squad. However, the squad selection from the manager today was, for me at least, a massive step in the right direction. As others have said, Jol often talked the talk with regards to blooding in young talent but, Kasami and Kacaniklic aside, he largely failed to see this through.

To see players like Burn and David starting, with Christensen and Plumain making appearances from the bench and the inclusion of Moussa Dembele gave me huge encouragement as to the mentality of the manager. It would be far too easy to stick Ruiz in the middle and drain more from the legs of a tired starting eleven. I've been a big supporter of Ruiz since he arrived but I think for him and for us, it's best that he moves on in the next window.

We will know much more about Khan's enthusiasm for financial investment come the end of January (or by September), but whether or not he decides to flash the cash, the way to a sustainable future for a club our size is surely to look to our own - very successful- youth team. For other promising youth players with aspirations to break into our first 11, Rene sent a clear signal today that hard work and talent will pay off and that can only be a good thing for us moving forward. I'm aware that Plumain can hardly be considered a product of our youth set up but... Well let's not split hairs.

COYW

RaySmith

One Martin Thomas

Fernhurst

Welcome aboard Mac.... Happy Hogmanay.

As the boys have said Good post.... More please
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Jamie88

Very much agree
Welcome aboard and great first post!

Kent Cassandra

I would love Rene to play the same team or similar at the cottage even though that would be a lot of pressure for the younger players as we would be expected to win this one.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

General

I don't know... Arguably with the squad we used and the playing time they had before the game i do not see another game against Norwich at home as a bad thing. By that time we will know who we are playing next and if it is arsenal or a lesser team we can field a team to take it seriously enough to hopefully snatch the win and continue to blood in our younger players against a weaker premiership squad than most. I actually see the draw as a win win scenario given this context.. The young players will grow in confidence and hopefully get another shot, we aren't out of the cup, our fringe players and Dempsey got good game time... Bent got on the scoresheet...

Also the incentive of playing at home for some of the younger players may make for an exciting contest.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: General on January 05, 2014, 12:43:36 AM
I don't know... Arguably with the squad we used and the playing time they had before the game i do not see another game against Norwich at home as a bad thing. By that time we will know who we are playing next and if it is arsenal or a lesser team we can field a team to take it seriously enough to hopefully snatch the win and continue to blood in our younger players against a weaker premiership squad than most. I actually see the draw as a win win scenario given this context.. The young players will grow in confidence and hopefully get another shot, we aren't out of the cup, our fringe players and Dempsey got good game time... Bent got on the scoresheet...

Also the incentive of playing at home for some of the younger players may make for an exciting contest.

Got to agree with that, a 50/50 blend of experience and youth and as you say, at home in front of a large crowd (probably only Burn has played in front of such a large crowd) a great way to 'blood them' with perhaps a similar mixture on the bench in case we're winning 3/4-0  If so maybe we'll see 7/8 on the pitch at the same time. I think it was 5 today. 
This of course could have been done by 'he whose name should not be mentioned' a while back.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

K33NY

Hear hear! Well said and I totally agree with you! ALlso welcome to FoF! :)

Slaphead in Qatar

Ruiz was not even on the bench yesterday. Its not as if he was being rested for league action. I think he will be sold this window.

Holders

I could hardly agree more with your well-argued post, Mac.

It was good that we got that result against a strong Norwich side and I see no harm in a replay if Rene continues the same selection philosophy.

We now know that, if necessary, the likes of Burn and David would not be out of place if thrust into the first team - and Plumain showed well also.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

grandad

Good post Mac. I might be a wake up call to Kaca & Kasami, both of whom had poor games yesterday.
Where there's a will there's a wife

..Kya.ffc..

Agreed.

This was what I had expected from Jol to do when he joined, we all know that story..

But for RM to do this now, just show what a massive step in the right direction we have taken with him in charge.

And  076.gif
Beers may have been involved in this post.

Burt

Welcome to FOF Mac.

Stick to posting, rather than merely observing  :dft011:

Agree with your post, it does seem that RM is going to be more prepared to give youth a go.

Fulham Tup North

092.gif  If we do not have large sums of money to spend, (our £10m+ purchases have never really worked out), then our successful youth teams are our way forward.  Having Kit in Rene's set-up, means that the youngsters will definitely have a supporter on the management team and will be a cheaper way for us to progress.  Kit has done a fantastic job with the youth set-up and Rene looks prepared to rely on Kit's advice and his own gut feelings.
The future looks exciting.
Welcome aboard Mac.   049:gif
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Fulham1959

Quote from: General on January 05, 2014, 12:43:36 AM
I don't know... Arguably with the squad we used and the playing time they had before the game i do not see another game against Norwich at home as a bad thing. By that time we will know who we are playing next and if it is arsenal or a lesser team we can field a team to take it seriously enough to hopefully snatch the win and continue to blood in our younger players against a weaker premiership squad than most. I actually see the draw as a win-win scenario given this context. The young players will grow in confidence and hopefully get another shot, we aren't out of the cup, our fringe players and Dempsey got good game time... Bent got on the scoresheet...

Agreed.  Now, it seems, we have a whole-club philosophy and not just a Premiership Squad and ignore the rest approach.

Luffy86

Great first post!! Welcome.

Deanothefulhamfan

Welcome aboard Mac....

Great first post

Furby

Good post Mac.

I for one don't see the replay as a negative at all. I'm sure Rene will play a similar team to the one yesterday which will give the debutants and possibly Dembele another opportunity for much needed first team experience.

Edit: Sorry just seen the Generals post. So I agree with him entirely.  :dft001: